Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Well that's certainly not a magical way to spend the day.

In all seriousness, hope things are resolved safely for the kid and their family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll go out on a limb and assume it was a family drama incident, as the vast majority of kidnappings are. I just can't imagine a random kidnapping taking place at Disney, that would have to be the dumbest criminal in the world.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I'll go out on a limb and assume it was a family drama incident, as the vast majority of kidnappings are. I just can't imagine a random kidnapping taking place at Disney, that would have to be the dumbest criminal in the world.

Eavesdropping on the phone call suggests it was a custody case that turned into kidnapping when they crossed state lines.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Kidnappers go on vacation too

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

couldcareless posted:

It wasn't offered on 3 day cruises otherwise we would have. Made up for it with California Grill brunch this morning. I nearly killed myself with mimosas and sushi
Did you go with or without kids?

My wife and I aren't really interested by normal cruises, but we'd been thinking about doing a Disney one if it's not too weird to go without kids (and if it's still enjoyable enough for adults).

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

My wife and I aren't really interested by normal cruises, but we'd been thinking about doing a Disney one if it's not too weird to go without kids (and if it's still enjoyable enough for adults).

Having just returned from my honeymoon on a Disney cruise (thanks again Braksgirl!), I can confirm that a Disney cruise can be awesome without kids. We never felt out of place anywhere we went on the ship (The Dream), even on the Aquaduck water slide. The adults only sections were great, and the crew members on deck there quickly and politely redirected any kids or families who stumbled into the adult areas. Booze was reasonable, and there was more than enough for us to do and enjoy while we were on the ship.

I'll also throw in another rec for Palo, as that was easily the highlight of our trip. Amazing food and service, and worth every penny we paid.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Bottom Liner posted:

You'd think that, but there have been incidents, but they always miss some detail that gets them caught in the end. One that I heard of was a girl that was kidnapped and they cut her hair, dressed her as a boy, but for some reason didn't change her shoes, so her mother saw the shoes and recognized her and the kidnappers were caught red handed. So yeah, stupid, but it has happened before.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

WhiteHowler posted:

Without. Disney really pushes the "a place for everyone" for the cruise ship so you won't feel like you're weird for being there without a child. There's plenty of adult only areas and activities.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I've only been on a Disney cruise without my kids and it was by far the best cruise I've ever taken. There is plenty for anyone of any age to do and I love that they police the adults area to keep kids out. It's the best.

There's a new WDW promo active for Summer.

First, is a room and ticket offer. A family of 4 can stay at an All Star resort for 4 nights with a 4 day base ticket for as low as $1962. Offer is good for Sunday - Thursdays from June 11 - August 31. You can stay longer than 4 nights and get longer tickets. Still discounted as far as I can see.

There is a corresponding Room Only discount for May 28 - Aug 31. Savings will be up to 25% off. Same exclusions as always: 3 bed villas, campsites, bungalows at Poly, and AoA Little Mermaid rooms.

And lastly, there's a Kid Size vacation package which is basically the same as the first offer but for shorter stays. Stay 3 nights at an All Star and get 2 day base tickets. Good from May 28 - Aug 31.

...And that's it folks.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I know there were a lot of kids on the Disney cruise I went on but I never saw any except for dinner or at the kids' pool area. Otherwise it was all adults. Their daycare/play zone thing must be amazing because my nephew hated leaving it. They had just opened the marvel area for kids and it looked pretty cool.

The employee discount for cruises is insane. My brother is taking my mom and aunt on an 11 day one this summer. My wife can't handle being on water, so there's no way I'd do one that long, I'd be bored out of my mind- the seven day one started to wear on me around day 5. But no one is going to look at you weird for being alone- I spent most of my time just reading outside and lots of others were doing the same.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Braks, or anyone else, I rented DVC points for the trip I'm taking in October. How likely is it that I'll be able to take advantage of any promos?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Dren posted:

Braks, or anyone else, I rented DVC points for the trip I'm taking in October. How likely is it that I'll be able to take advantage of any promos?

You can't do promos with points rental.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I know there were a lot of kids on the Disney cruise I went on but I never saw any except for dinner or at the kids' pool area. Otherwise it was all adults. Their daycare/play zone thing must be amazing because my nephew hated leaving it. They had just opened the marvel area for kids and it looked pretty cool.

The employee discount for cruises is insane. My brother is taking my mom and aunt on an 11 day one this summer. My wife can't handle being on water, so there's no way I'd do one that long, I'd be bored out of my mind- the seven day one started to wear on me around day 5. But no one is going to look at you weird for being alone- I spent most of my time just reading outside and lots of others were doing the same.

There are definitely a ton more kids during summer months, naturally.

And yes, the kid clubs are heads and shoulders above any other cruise offering.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Booked the Rivers of Light dining package with Tiffins for this Saturday, and then booked Skipper Canteen for Sunday.

From my understanding, even though it's a fixed price, there's really no restrictions and you get an app, entree, dessert at Tiffins.

Anybody have some recommendations for each restaurant?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Correct app entree desert it's a great deal. People seem to like the whole fish at Tiffins.

Did you call 407 WDW dine to do it?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Correct app entree desert it's a great deal. People seem to like the whole fish at Tiffins.

Did you call 407 WDW dine to do it?

Yeah. I don't think you can book the ROL Package through MDE. Granted I booked it like right when they announced it so maybe you can now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks for calling!!!

I'm excited for the Sleepy Hollow showing in October this year. Hopefully will be super fun and it's nice they're remembering that movie for once.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Speaking of food and speaking of Sleepy Hollow, I gotta say the breakfast ham & egg waffle sandwich is really good. It's even better if you pour some syrup on the inside.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Obligatory shout out to the sleepy hollow spicy chicken waffle sandwich

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tim Whatley posted:

Booked the Rivers of Light dining package with Tiffins for this Saturday, and then booked Skipper Canteen for Sunday.

From my understanding, even though it's a fixed price, there's really no restrictions and you get an app, entree, dessert at Tiffins.

Anybody have some recommendations for each restaurant?

I just ate at the Skipper Canteen last night. The steak is delicious, I really like the Char Siu Pork, and I had a bit of the Lamb yesterday and that was pretty drat tasty too.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

couldcareless posted:

Obligatory shout out to the sleepy hollow spicy chicken waffle sandwich

One of the food trucks at Disney Springs has an homage to this. Real tasty.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

nimper posted:

One of the food trucks at Disney Springs has an homage to this. Real tasty.

That same truck also has the Disneyland style corndog with waffle fries and hell yes.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disneyland corn dogs are one of the best things about Disneyland. Must find this food truck at DS.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Disneyland corn dogs are one of the best things about Disneyland. Must find this food truck at DS.

Fantasy Faire, I believe it is called. It's usually in the Food Truck Park.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'll be in Disney Springs for my birthday this weekend. I'll have to find those. I loving love me some corn dogs :3:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Taking the monorail tonight reminds me why I drive everywhere.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The bus line for the TTC at MK was simultaneously hilarious and terrifying when we walked by it a few minutes ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Weird, because MK was surprisingly chill today. We took a few friends and were able to hit all of the main attractions (except Seven Dwarves) in about 6 hours. Guess a lot of people went there tonight.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It was open to 11 without EMH so lots of off grounds folks flocked there as a result.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
No so much busy as slow. By the time I got back to my resort I was surprised how long it took.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'll be in Disney Springs for my birthday this weekend. I'll have to find those. I loving love me some corn dogs :3:

It's over by the movie theater, across from the star wars and marvel stores.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
If I'm looking to book a trip for mid/late October, would it be too late to rent DVC points and book a decent studio in BLT?

(Decent, in this case, meaning at least a partial view of the castle for fireworks)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gin_Rummy posted:

If I'm looking to book a trip for mid/late October, would it be too late to rent DVC points and book a decent studio in BLT?

(Decent, in this case, meaning at least a partial view of the castle for fireworks)

You'd have to find a DVC member to check availability, I think you might be OK, but I think studios book quick, especially now it's under the 7 month mark

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
In October the wife and I are going on Disney Cruise Line sailing #5 for us aboard the Magic. We're headed to Canada! And we get a Marvel Day at Sea. But that said, anyone have any insight on what to do in the following places...

- Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

The only thing we have lined up so far is a puffins excursion with someone exalting herself as "The Puffin Lady." I just want to see some birds.

I've never been to Canada before. The only thing I know about Nova Scotia is that my ancestors were deported from there by the British and dumped in Louisiana. I think that was in the 1700s or thereabouts. Beyond that... nothing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

All you can do is check and see unless you know someone who will rent you their points directly. When I booked for mid October two weeks ago all I could get was Saratoga Springs or OKW (we were looking for a 2bdrm). We used dvcrental.com.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Doronin posted:

In October the wife and I are going on Disney Cruise Line sailing #5 for us aboard the Magic. We're headed to Canada! And we get a Marvel Day at Sea. But that said, anyone have any insight on what to do in the following places...

- Sydney, Nova Scotia
- Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

The only thing we have lined up so far is a puffins excursion with someone exalting herself as "The Puffin Lady." I just want to see some birds.

I've never been to Canada before. The only thing I know about Nova Scotia is that my ancestors were deported from there by the British and dumped in Louisiana. I think that was in the 1700s or thereabouts. Beyond that... nothing.

Don't know specifically about October (or if it would line up nicely with Disney cruise schedule) but PEI has tours where you can fish for lobsters, or dig for clams. You can also visit Anne of Green Gables house.

Nova Scotia has whale watching I'd assume. And I can't remember where the Bay of Fundy is, but I think that's Halifax.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Gin_Rummy posted:

I just checked mydvc, currently there are only 2 nights in a row available twice in October at Bay Lake: 16-17 and 30-31 for a studio

you could get a 2 bedroom at bay lake for 3 days on 23,-25 and 29-31.

I can look up other places and days for you, but I don't have points to rent out.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Mykkel posted:

I can look up other places and days for you, but I don't have points to rent out.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! I would probably be going through an established points dealer either way, but I've heard some of them require a deposit to check dates, so this saves me some trouble.

We are looking to go on Oct 14-22 (give or take a bit either way, depending on availability), and I think it'd be awesome if we could get something on the monorail. Any chance you could look at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian standard rooms during that time frame?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Good luck, 8 consecutive nights at a monorail resort is going to be tough, a split stay might open up a few options though?

We rented points the last trip to WDW at BLT and we loved it so much we're in the market for a DVC resale contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, I probably wouldn't be opposed to that. I could just plan my MK and Epcot days on days that I could potentially be at a monorail resort.