Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
A proper Berlinerweiss is the best thing in the summer. Way better than a shandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xie posted:

A proper Berlinerweiss is the best thing in the summer. Way better than a shandy.

A white donut?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Bloody Queef posted:

If you really want a mindfuck, look into the Templeton Rye lawsuit and start finding out that most liquor is all distilled by a handful of distillers and then distributed in bulk to the companies that you've heard of. Some filter it or add various additives or blends, but generally higher end booze is one huge scam.

The whole point of brown liquor is that the aging is the most important component of the flavor. As someone who drinks a lot of whiskey, allow me to lay it out for you. In order of worst with money to best (well, least-worst):

1. Trendy bourbon like Pappy Van Winkle or the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, or one-off Scotch releases. Don't buy anything that a magazine tells you is the world's best whisk(e)y.
2. 20+ year-old Scotch. This stuff has tripled in price over the last 10 years.
3. Your local boutique distillery's whiskey. It's only 2-3 years old but they expect you to pay $45/bottle. Let someone else subsidize them during their growth period.
4. Un-aged whiskey. If you're really intent on the experience, just take a free distillery tour and they'll give you a sample. You won't want any more after that.
5. Any other whisk(e)y on the shelf. There's a reasonable relationship between price and quality at this level. Go hog wild.
6. Cheap 90+-proof bourbon with no age statement from a distillery that's been around for a while.Johnny Drum, Old Grand-Dad, etc. Now you know the secret.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lavaca posted:

The whole point of brown liquor is that the aging is the most important component of the flavor. As someone who drinks a lot of whiskey, allow me to lay it out for you. In order of worst with money to best (well, least-worst):

1. Trendy bourbon like Pappy Van Winkle or the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, or one-off Scotch releases. Don't buy anything that a magazine tells you is the world's best whisk(e)y.
2. 20+ year-old Scotch. This stuff has tripled in price over the last 10 years.
3. Your local boutique distillery's whiskey. It's only 2-3 years old but they expect you to pay $45/bottle. Let someone else subsidize them during their growth period.
4. Un-aged whiskey. If you're really intent on the experience, just take a free distillery tour and they'll give you a sample. You won't want any more after that.
5. Any other whisk(e)y on the shelf. There's a reasonable relationship between price and quality at this level. Go hog wild.
6. Cheap 90+-proof bourbon with no age statement from a distillery that's been around for a while.Johnny Drum, Old Grand-Dad, etc. Now you know the secret.

Good with Money advice for the everyday drinker: Buy a bottle of Evan Williams and shut the gently caress up.

Stuff is excellent. 9$/L.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You guys and your cheap booze. You ain't getting anything for $9/L, not even close, in WA. No income tax means regressive as hell sin and sales taxes.

Though you can avoid a lot of the tax buying direct from local distilleries, but still expensive. Even buying in Oregon, the #2 highest liquor taxes state nationally, feels like an unbelievable bargain.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 18, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Guinness posted:

You guys and your cheap booze. You ain't getting anything for $9/L, not even close, in WA. No income tax means regressive as hell sin and sales taxes.

Though you can avoid a lot of the tax buying direct from local distilleries, but still expensive. Even buying in Oregon, the #2 highest liquor taxes state nationally, feels like an unbelievable bargain.

Lol, there are a number of states without income tax (FL is one of them), ya'll must have just let too many Mormons into the legislature.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Lol, there are a number of states without income tax (FL is one of them), ya'll must have just let too many Mormons into the legislature.

The liquor tax laws were passed by popular vote.

Up until the last election, the state controlled liquor sales. Costco and local grocery chains wrote and promoted a law to privatize retail booze. Because of our totally hosed-up no-income-tax-having budget, the new system basically had to be revenue-neutral.

Idiots voting for the law assumed that buying liquor at the grocery store just had to be cheaper than buying it at the state-owned store, even though the state would get the same amount of money thanks to those gigantic taxes that replaced all previous revenue from liquor sales and taxes, and the grocery stores would turn a profit on top of that. Needless to say, they were wrong.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cross post from the Canadian housing bubble thread in D&D:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...?service=mobile

Not exactly bad with money, more like whining about how tough it is to make ends meet when working 2 days a week for $300k.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ohgodwhat posted:

Not exactly bad with money, more like whining about how tough it is to make ends meet when working 2 days a week for $300k.

quote:

Monthly disbursements: Mortgage $3,800; property tax (both properties) $1,000; utilities $490; insurance $90; maintenance, garden $190; transportation $800; groceries $2,000; clothing $520; children’s activities $1,000; tuition $5,400; summer camp $600; child care $2,800; gifts, charitable $320; vacation, travel $2,000; dining, entertainment $200; sports, hobbies $200; miscellaneous (furniture, toys) $400; health insurance $50; cellphones $220; telecom, Internet $80; RRSP $3,000; professional associations $6,000. Total: $31,160

My god

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
That is amazing on so many different levels.

I missed that the lot, not the house, cost 1.1 million.

Also lol at 6k cash, jesus.

Also, 2800 a month for childcare, despite working zero and two days a week, respectively. 2800 a month for childcare for 5 kids probably isn't terrible otherwise.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

quote:

Monthly disbursements: Mortgage $3,800; property tax (both properties) $1,000; utilities $490; insurance $90; maintenance, garden $190; transportation $800; groceries $2,000; clothing $520; children’s activities $1,000; tuition $5,400; summer camp $600; child care $2,800; gifts, charitable $320; vacation, travel $2,000; dining, entertainment $200; sports, hobbies $200; miscellaneous (furniture, toys) $400; health insurance $50; cellphones $220; telecom, Internet $80; RRSP $3,000; professional associations $6,000. Total: $31,160

What the gently caress is this, are they donating $6k per month to an NPO or something?

You know how to free up $72k per year? Stop giving that money away.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

gvibes posted:

Also, 2800 a month for childcare, despite working zero and two days a week, respectively. 2800 a month for childcare for 5 kids probably isn't terrible otherwise.

That's the part I as looking at too, it's a 2 parent house for 5 days of the week, why the hell are they paying for any childcare at all?

Also if times are so hard while you're making about $700 an hour, how about just working an extra day to instantly double your income?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Duct Tape posted:

What the gently caress is this, are they donating $6k per month to an NPO or something?

You know how to free up $72k per year? Stop giving that money away.

He's a doctor, so that's probably medical college dues and malpractice insurance. Probably his share of the practice's monthly expenses too. I don't know what those usually add up to, but I doubt it's something he can just refuse to pay.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

ohgodwhat posted:

Jesus take me. I'm either ready or have had enough.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

FrozenVent posted:

He's a doctor, so that's probably medical college dues and malpractice insurance. Probably his share of the practice's monthly expenses too. I don't know what those usually add up to, but I doubt it's something he can just refuse to pay.

Huh, I always figured that clinics paid for their employee's malpractice insurance, sort of like an employment benefit. Didn't realize doctors paid for it out of pocket, or at least partially out of pocket.

Good thing I'm not a doctor. I'd be all sorts of under-insured.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
The childcare is a full time "mommy's helper" style nanny, judging by the fact they want the house to have a suite for a live-in nanny. So mom stays at home and still pays someone to hang around and help out all day. I did that work through college, it was amazing how much someone would pay me to like... Follow behind her in the grocery store holding the baby, or like, push a kid on the swing at the park while she texts.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

Mocking Bird posted:

The childcare is a full time "mommy's helper" style nanny, judging by the fact they want the house to have a suite for a live-in nanny. So mom stays at home and still pays someone to hang around and help out all day. I did that work through college, it was amazing how much someone would pay me to like... Follow behind her in the grocery store holding the baby, or like, push a kid on the swing at the park while she texts.

But what of getting nailed by the patriarch?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KillTylerDurden posted:

But what of getting nailed by the patriarch?

Paid in jewelry.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

LeeMajors posted:

Good with Money advice for the everyday drinker: Buy a bottle of Evan Williams and shut the gently caress up.

Stuff is excellent. 9$/L.

Yeah that's about what I do too. Makes just fine old fashioned's, straight, on ice, manhattans, and really what the hell else you want to make. Just get EW black. So cheap. I mean it's more like...22 for 1.75L? So something around 12/L but that's still really good.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Paid in jewelry.

Please tell me I'm not too old for that job

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kefit posted:

No one has cared whether or not I drink since high school (and maybe college), so that's not really an issue at all. I'm perfectly capable of sitting in a bar and not drinking, and have done this many times. But watching other people drink and interacting with their resulting intoxicated states is not a particularly captivating way to spend a night out (or a party, or a relaxed social get together, etc).

Perhaps "crippling" is too strong of a word, but it definitely creates a social hurdle. You can't really deny that social drinking is a prominent part of expected adult social interactions.

I may or may not also be influenced by the fact that most of my friends are slowly but surely becoming alcoholics as we approach our 30s. That's definitely bad with money, among other things.

You could also find friends that do more than just find excuses to drink.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

FrozenVent posted:

There are typically county (US anyway) medical associations for both dentists and doctors. Membership dues vary with the quality of the association house (in an adjacent county it's just a small rented room) among other things. From what I understand, it's pretty much mandatory for dentists and physicians.

But I'm sure they could move to a less upscale area and dramatically lower those dues to a few thousand a year.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Wickerman posted:

There are typically county (US anyway) medical associations for both dentists and doctors. Membership dues vary with the quality of the association house (in an adjacent county it's just a small rented room) among other things. From what I understand, it's pretty much mandatory for dentists and physicians.

But I'm sure they could move to a less upscale area and dramatically lower those dues to a few thousand a year.

Manhattan's medical association (including NY State's) is under $1000 a year. I can't fathom $6000 a month. There's pretty much nowhere else in the country where "spend money to show you're rich" is more of a thing than Manhattan.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"professional associations" could mean homeowner's associations - if they live in a gated community, you have to pay monthly dues for security, communal areas, swimming pools, etc.

Or maybe a country club membership?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Or maybe a country club membership?

Ding ding ding

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
More from that link:

quote:

Eric chooses to work for less money than he could.
They are living rent free in a relative’s house
[Work about 30% of the time a normal couple would, have a full time nanny]
"Two professionals should be able to afford a modest house, but we can’t get the numbers to work"
Eric and Ilsa’s expenses are likely the highest they will be [with five young children who will probably go to college? :eyepop:]
Eric and Ilsa are fortunate because their parents are willing to put a home equity line of credit on their own home to extend them the $1-million they need to build, and to finance their annual deficit
Monthly net income: $25,000 [savings: basically none]
Country club memberships? Initiation might be pretty expensive but I can't see the yearly fees running $70k.

This is just one of those couples who will always spend the money they get. Having a real hard time mustering up any sympathy here.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

paperchaseguy posted:

More from that link:

Country club memberships? Initiation might be pretty expensive but I can't see the yearly fees running $70k.

This is just one of those couples who will always spend the money they get. Having a real hard time mustering up any sympathy here.

I know people who are members at multiple country clubs

Also they could be religious and tithe part of their salary

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
We've needed a new mattress for 5 years. The springs dig into my back. Waited for a 50% sale, got one yesterday for $1400.

Somehow I think this is bad with money?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CelestialScribe posted:

We've needed a new mattress for 5 years. The springs dig into my back. Waited for a 50% sale, got one yesterday for $1400.

Splurging on a good mattress is one thing I'll never criticize something over. The difference a good quality mattress makes is priceless.

I stayed over a friend's new condo the other night and slept on the only mattress he has in the whole place while he slept on the floor. Pretty sure I got the short end of the sleeping stick on that one, it was awful.

e: that guy's condo has a whole different set of problems though. He's not so much bad with money as he's bad with home ownership. Which is bad with money in it's own way I guess.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelestialScribe posted:

Seems high, but agreed that if the sleep quality is there, by all means spend a bunch. Personally, my $800 mattress is still going strong after 8 years.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

What kind of mattress did you buy for $1400? Was it a king size? Depending on your location it could be good or bad as around my home I can find Full sizes for $199-$299 on decent lower end ones going as high as $899 for a decent King size mattress. The most I have seen recently was $1100 for a very nice King size set with many comfortable features. I have never seen anything over $1200 that was not a special order. Mattress tops are cheaper than buying a whole set.

Either way as long as it is comfortable to sleep on the price is well spent. My parents bought a cheaper end mattress once and it left you feeling sore after laying on it for sleeping or napping. It was gone within a few months to a family friend who wanted to use it in a rental.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I've seen a few personal finance guys say great things about Tuft and Needle, which tops out at $750 for a ten inch king. That said,

Renegret posted:

Splurging on a good mattress is one thing I'll never criticize something over. The difference a good quality mattress makes is priceless.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

I've seen a few personal finance guys say great things about Tuft and Needle, which tops out at $750 for a ten inch king.

I bought these recently! 500 bucks and it sure is comfortable. We'll see how long it lasts... Amazon reviews look promising.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I splurged $800 on a think combination spring / foam queen sized mattress direct from a local factory a few years back. I forget how much it owns until I end up traveling for a few days and come back to it.

$1200 does seem a little high though, unless it's like a King or something.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
My queen was $300 or so from Overstock over 2 years ago. It's the comfiest bed I've ever slept on and continues to hold up. It has a huge design flaw that is annoying but doesn't decrease its comfort and that was my fault for buying one with a built in topper that slides around.

As long as you don't get a lemon the memory foam ones all seem to be the exact same thing. Most of them are just n inches of 'base foam' and then a memory foam topper too. The 8" and 12" ones often have the same amount of memory foam, or only 1" difference.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

So many doctors are loving garbage human beings. I won't say "most," but it's despicable. Props to the family physicians and GPs who earn less than they deserve, anyone who works in an underserved community, and those few gems who recognize that they earn a fuckload of money even if they had to work hard for it. Anyone who bitches and moans about taking home $300,000 doesn't deserve an ear, they deserve a bullet.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I live in Aus, which increases the price substantially.

That price also includes delivery and a mattress protector, so the actual price was around 1200.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

disheveled posted:

Anyone who bitches and moans about taking home $300,000 doesn't deserve an ear, they deserve a bullet.

Sounds like you have a lot of misdirected anger. You should probably see someone professional about that. Psychologists are usually pretty well paid, try not to murder yours.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Bloody Queef posted:

Sounds like you have a lot of misdirected anger.

It's hardly misdirected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

disheveled posted:

So many doctors are loving garbage human beings. I won't say "most," but it's despicable. Props to the family physicians and GPs who earn less than they deserve, anyone who works in an underserved community, and those few gems who recognize that they earn a fuckload of money even if they had to work hard for it. Anyone who bitches and moans about taking home $300,000 doesn't deserve an ear, they deserve a bullet.

In NY they just started allowing nurse practitioners to open their own practices, which rules hard:

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20141230/NEWS/312309974

• Locked thread