Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

GlyphGryph posted:

The justice system is the one area of the law where they've gone full hog with positive rights though? I mean, this is the system where you have the right to force 6-12 of your peers, under the threat of law, to serve without pay in judging your case. It's the system where you have a right to a public defender, period. It's a system practically dominated by positive rights that would be seen as egregious violations in other contexts. I don't doubt that they don't want to look at it too closely, but I don't think it's a fear of positive rights holding them back.

Offer not valid in all states, terms and conditions apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GlyphGryph posted:

The justice system is the one area of the law where they've gone full hog with positive rights though? I mean, this is the system where you have the right to force 6-12 of your peers, under the threat of law, to serve without pay in judging your case. It's the system where you have a right to a public defender, period. It's a system practically dominated by positive rights that would be seen as egregious violations in other contexts. I don't doubt that they don't want to look at it too closely, but I don't think it's a fear of positive rights holding them back.

Jury duty pays you. It's a laughably pathetic amount far below minimum wage, but it does pay.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My job pays me if I get jury duty.

I'll never be asked to serve on a jury though I work in a DA's office

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gorau posted:

The issue with underfunded public defenders is a common one throughout common law countries with adversarial systems. Does anyone know if the civil law non adversarial systems have the same issues? Or if they do, are they to the extent that we do?

Legal Aid is chronically under-funded in Canada.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

showbiz_liz posted:

I emailed a couple colleagues who do legal aid advocacy to ask, but I think the answer's no - or at least, not since the case 50-odd years ago that forced them to establish the system in the first place.

The story of this case is kinda cool and everyone should read it.

Also it kinda answers this question:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah it happens but how many successful out of how many filed? The successful pro se litigant at that level is a unicorn.

More to the point, though, if you've successfully appealed to the Supreme Court as a pro se litigant, you arguably had access to competent counsel the entire time -- yourself (even if you were actually represented by an incompetent public defender at trial, that was your choice to accept that representation). Therefore, at least as to the particular appellant, the issue is moot.

I don't know enough about criminal law to know if this argument has validity -- it's facile as gently caress -- but it seems like an obvious barrier, and the Court has in the past accepted incredibly facile arguments when it suited policy goals (as the entire doctrine of asset forfeiture demonstrates).

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

GlyphGryph posted:

I think it is more exasperation at dealing with laypeople coming up with sovereign citizen stuff on the spot while they are working through what the hell is going on made them break down and force the government to pay for some actual professionals.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

The story of this case is kinda cool and everyone should read it.

Also it kinda answers this question:

It's also a drat good movie starring Henry Fonda. It's available on YouTube in 11 parts.

Part 1 of Gideon's Trumpet.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The whole logic behind not being able to freeze assets because it hurts their ability to defend themselves reminds me of the Onion skit about a white girl being tried as a black adult.

"This is America. Nobody deserves to be treated as a [poor] man."

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Gorau posted:

The issue with underfunded public defenders is a common one throughout common law countries with adversarial systems. Does anyone know if the civil law non adversarial systems have the same issues? Or if they do, are they to the extent that we do?

Pretty much - almost every country in the world has this issue, partly because it's only been recognized as a human right pretty recently (and partly because nobody gives a gently caress about ~criminals~). Hard data is still pretty sketchy but UNODC is doing a study on global legal aid right now.

It's an interesting issue because a lot of countries now have these shiny new constitutions which were written with input from the UN, so they guarantee all kinds of rights (like the right to legal representation) but the countries in question have never provided legal aid before and either don't care to implement it or don't know how to.

A couple of countries that are doing a decent job at providing legal aid right now are South Africa and Argentina. The first international conference on criminal legal aid was held in South Africa in 2014 and there's going to be a second one in Argentina this year - basically, the international community is juuuuust now starting to pay attention to this as an issue, probably because of the whole "exploding pre-trial prison populations" thing.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So in the USPol thread there's chatter about the DC Madam stuff coming out because her lawyer is making all kinds of noise about it being a bombshell for the presidential election. The guy's already went so far as to try to get it to the Supreme Court and they've put it on the docket. Is this one of those things the court will go out of their way for maybe? Or is this going to slowly work its way though the sausage press?

For laughs the lawyer also put all the related records for the DC Madam stuff on a dead man's switch which seems to be all kinds of amazing.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The funniest thing is that George Mason's law school isn't particularly good.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Shakugan posted:

Appropriate then, because neither was Scalia.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shakugan posted:

Hence the name change; ASSoLs will make good attorneys.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm enjoying that acronym more than I should.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jerry-moran-no-longer-supports-hearings-scotus-nominee

Jerry Moran is a literally a deer in the headlights

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Get a brain, Moran.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

More like a deer in a crosshairs.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Merrick Garland is totally unacceptable as a candidate to sit on the Supreme Court and that is why I will not participate in hearings to advise the president that his candidate is unacceptable.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Jury duty pays you. It's a laughably pathetic amount far below minimum wage, but it does pay.

At lead in my state its only if it takes more than three days

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

GlyphGryph posted:

At lead in my state its only if it takes more than three days
What state is this?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

twodot posted:

What state is this?

State and federal cases are different. Federal court juror compensation is $40 per day across the board ($50 beyond 45 days), but if you're selected for a state-level case, then your state laws apply instead.

For example, Pennsylvania where I currently live:

quote:

Pennsylvania law provides that no employer may deprive an employee of employment or threaten or otherwise coerce him or her for the reason that the employee receives a summons, attends court for prospective jury service, or serves as a juror.

The reinstatement provision does not apply to any employer in the retail or service industry with fewer than 15 employees or any employer in the manufacturing industry with fewer than 40 employees. Any person not entitled to reemployment will, upon request, be excused from grand jury service.

Pennsylvania law specifies that an employer is not required to compensate the employee for time lost.

quote:

According to PA law, jurors are paid $9.00 per day for the first three days of jury service and $25.00 per day for every day thereafter. Pa law also calls for payment of mileage at the rate of .17 cents per mile.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Sundae posted:

State and federal cases are different. Federal court juror compensation is $40 per day across the board ($50 beyond 45 days), but if you're selected for a state-level case, then your state laws apply instead.

For example, Pennsylvania where I currently live:
Yes, in your state jurors are paid which is what I'm used to, I'm asking in what state are jurors not paid.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My employer pays me if I'm selected for jury duty

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

My employer pays me if I'm selected for jury duty

Isn't your employer the US government?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rygar201 posted:

I think every job I've worked since I was 18 paid their employees if they had jury duty. You've got to sign over your fat jury duty checks to your employer, but you get paid normally without it affecting vacation or sick time.

I'm more disappointed that I've never gotten chosen for jury duty. I always get kicked out of the pool fairly early.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rygar201 posted:

:coolfish:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

You're a government lawyer, you must never make it past voir dire.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

You're a government lawyer, you must never make it past voir dire.

He does patent stuff. You can get seated as a patent lawyer - I have.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Interesting. I was under the impression anyone with a bar card usually gets struck.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Interesting. I was under the impression anyone with a bar card usually gets struck.

It depends. I got seated on a criminal case because I have next to zero criminal experience, including in law school, and I think the defense attorney liked that most of my work is for defendants and the prosecutor liked that I (look like) a white male.

Being a lawyer makes you less likely to get seated, but you're only getting struck automatically if you have knowledge relevant to the case. I'm never getting seated for a patent trial, but a criminal lawyer might.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gyges posted:

I think every job I've worked since I was 18 paid their employees if they had jury duty. You've got to sign over your fat jury duty checks to your employer, but you get paid normally without it affecting vacation or sick time.

My employer thankfully covered my time without problem, but since I only spent two days on the Jury before we rendered a verdict I didn't even have to give them the nonexistent check. Massachussets, btw. Nothing for the first three days, $50 a day for day 4 and beyond. I could not believe they don't even cover the cost of parking in their garage or transit, especially since there's an effective minimum 1 hour commute for jury duty here (I've never seen anyone called to their local court, it's always multiple towns over, I assume it's intentional though I don't know why). One of the staff gave of the jurors I was with the money to get the bus (out of his own pocket) since the juror couldn't afford to make the trip.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GlyphGryph posted:

I've never seen anyone called to their local court, it's always multiple towns over, I assume it's intentional though I don't know why).

Because they're getting called for jury duty at the Federal or County level. Every state gets to do it their way if they want, but it's usually cheaper to have a nice county courthouse where you hold all the judging stuff. Most often this is located at the county seat. Federal jury duty is going to be called to the city where your district court is set up.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Kalman posted:

It depends. I got seated on a criminal case because I have next to zero criminal experience, including in law school, and I think the defense attorney liked that most of my work is for defendants and the prosecutor liked that I (look like) a white male.

Being a lawyer makes you less likely to get seated, but you're only getting struck automatically if you have knowledge relevant to the case. I'm never getting seated for a patent trial, but a criminal lawyer might.
Are you a non-male gendered minority in disguise or something?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gyges posted:

Because they're getting called for jury duty at the Federal or County level. Every state gets to do it their way if they want, but it's usually cheaper to have a nice county courthouse where you hold all the judging stuff. Most often this is located at the county seat. Federal jury duty is going to be called to the city where your district court is set up.

In MA's case it actually involves being assigned to various town courts over the county --- and the counties are pretty huge.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could do jury duty once. I got called for it when I was a 1L and asked the court admin if I could do it over Christmas break when I would be home. She just excused me even though I begged her to keep me on the list.

Haven't been called since, but I doubt I'm getting seated as a LEO with a bar card.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Green Crayons posted:

Are you a non-male gendered minority in disguise or something?

I'm Hispanic on one side. I look exactly like my parent on the other side, though. Some of my family are not quite so lucky.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
One Person One Vote challenge unanimously rejected.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nice try Koch Bros.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

fourwood posted:

One Person One Vote challenge unanimously rejected.

However, Thomas, shockingly, is pushing a states right's angle in the concurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Have there been any cases about the huge delay in trials nowadays? It seems like there's a 2-3 year delay for even minor criminal cases with no ongoing investigation (at least here), which seems rather at odds with the sixth amendment.