Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

In Iron Keep in the area where you have to lower the bridge to get to the fog wall, what's a good way to deal with the rear end in a top hat archer to the right of where you enter that area? I just can't get a lock on him until I run all across the level while getting shot in the rear end and climb to where he's at.

I just ignore that archer while using cover to block arrows, or timing your attacks so you start attacking after an arrow lands. Hopefully you've got a decent weapon that can tear down the knights in 1-2 combos. Then I cheese the knight by the smelter demon door by hopping into the furance and shooting it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

there is literally no reason to worry about ratbros though shy of a moderate amount of time being taken from you when in their zone - unless you are dumb and run through an acid trap.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cool thing that took me 50 hours to notice, once you attack, you can actually spin with an ult-great sword up to almost 180degrees from where you were facing if you timed it right.

The crypt blacksword should have the greatsword moveset.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kimmalah posted:

The trouble with Amana is (1) the mages will immediately start firing when you are the slightest bit in view/still WAY outside of targeting range. Then (2) one projectile is easy to dodge, while 3 projectiles from multiple directions combined with patches of deep water, those lizard things and the fast priests with insane weapon reach who will wreck you with a few hits becomes a problem.

I didn't think it was a bad area necessarily, but it did get annoying sometimes.
If you place yourself right, the mages basically stop mattering completely. There's no area with mages present where there isn't also a large amount of clutter that you can conveniently hide behind. The lizards have a ridiculously short aggro range, I've gotten within nearly swing distance of one without it ever reacting. It's not fun, but it definitely isn't hard.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Vanderdeath posted:

Oh, man, I had no idea that there was a shoutout to Garl Vinland's armor in this game. How do you get that?

That's Velstadt's Set. You can buy it from Maughlin in Majula after you kill Velstadt, the Royal Aegis.

Edit: Or at least that's his helmet, I'm not sure about the rest.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

After a no bonfire or no death run, when do you get your ring? After killing the final boss or after starting the next game?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Domattee posted:

After a no bonfire or no death run, when do you get your ring? After killing the final boss or after starting the next game?

After your game loads up in the NG+~

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

How do covenants work in the NG -> NG+ transition? If I'm a rank 1 sunbro holding 5 medals in inventory, do my rank and medals carry over to NG+? Or if I want to get Sunlight Spear, should I grind to rank 3 before leaving NG?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how do you fight Vendrick? I know he's an optional boss but I couldn't figure out any way to fight him, he just walks around doing nothing. I figure maybe he'll put up a fight and I can enter NG+ on a high note rather than a whimper.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just punch him a few times, it takes a bit of damage to aggro him.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

After your game loads up in the NG+~

So I rest at Majula and hit the start NG+ button?

Internet Kraken posted:

So how do you fight Vendrick? I know he's an optional boss but I couldn't figure out any way to fight him, he just walks around doing nothing. I figure maybe he'll put up a fight and I can enter NG+ on a high note rather than a whimper.

Attack him three times should do it, if that doesn't work do a bunch of damage to him and then try and proc a bleed effect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

assfro posted:

there is literally no reason to worry about ratbros though shy of a moderate amount of time being taken from you when in their zone - unless you are dumb and run through an acid trap.

Speaking of, is acid surge worth trying to use in pvp? How fast could you really break some of the other guy's gear with it?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've heard it's not really worth taking up a slot, but I guess a lot of it would boil down to what gear they're wearing and its durability.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

assfro posted:

You can also just fling yourself off the nearest ledge and make both yourself and the other guy happy, if you don't want to deal with trying to fight the summoner.

Really, there's no reason to be afraid of the rat covenant at all.

You can also sprint through Grave of the Saint to get to the second bonfire (fling yourself into the river if you get summoned), beat the Rat Vanguard (trivial with a weapon that has wide swings; the actual boss only appears after you kill ~15 rats, and has a mohawk on its back so you can tell which one to kill), join the ratbros, and then nothing in Doors of Pharros will attack you except for the Mastodon and Gyrm in the very first room, just before the bonfire - everything else is on your side. You'll still have to fight the Rat Authority, though.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Domattee posted:

Doing the entire Drangleic chain with no bonfires seems completely insane to me. I just wished I hadn't lit every single bonfire on the way in so that I still had some left over for the return trip, especially since I ended up only needing the Undead ditch and Central Drangleic. Got back all the way to Drangleic and then got boxed in by the swordsmen in the tiny room with the ladder.

I did no death/no bonfire in one run so ymmv as to that tip's usefulness.

Internet Kraken posted:

Start attacking him. You'll need Giant Souls, otherwise his defense is absurdly high. It is halved for every one in your inventory, up to a maximum of 5 times. Do not use them.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Cardiovorax posted:

If you place yourself right, the mages basically stop mattering completely. There's no area with mages present where there isn't also a large amount of clutter that you can conveniently hide behind. The lizards have a ridiculously short aggro range, I've gotten within nearly swing distance of one without it ever reacting. It's not fun, but it definitely isn't hard.

I don't think most people complaining about it (including me) are actually complaining about the difficulty. If anything, it's tedious and annoying. You have to deal with bunch of stuff at once and some become apparent only after you made a mistake (random holes in otherwise safe areas). You can always argue that you should be going so slow as to notice any potential danger and avoid it but that's unrealistic and overdemanding, much like the whole area.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I never found Amana difficult just annoying. The unlimited range and the tracking and the amount and the damage and the slowing water everywhere just got on my tits, unlike any other area in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You need to do enough damage to set him off, unlike the Ancient Dragon. However if you don't have any Giant Souls you can plink away at him for minutes on end and not do enough damage to start the fight proper. The more Giant Souls you have the more damage you can do to him, up to a maximum of five (you can have more in ng+ or if you use ascetics but it doesn't stack further).

He's really easy though, like Last Giant level difficulty.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I dont get. How is it possible to be parried without initiating an attack?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Burns posted:

You got guard broken while holding a shield up. Observe

https://mediacru.sh/rUBu13uGsz5v

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I don't think most people complaining about it (including me) are actually complaining about the difficulty. If anything, it's tedious and annoying. You have to deal with bunch of stuff at once and some become apparent only after you made a mistake (random holes in otherwise safe areas). You can always argue that you should be going so slow as to notice any potential danger and avoid it but that's unrealistic and overdemanding, much like the whole area.
I don't think I ever noticed any holes, the areas you can walk on seemed pretty solid to me. Honestly, though, compared to the Purgatory approach or everything from Harvest Valley to Iron Keep I thought Amana was almost relaxing. It's a really boring area, but there's at least no bullshit. Every enemy is visible in advance and you have plenty of room to maneuver. Demanding is the last thing I'd call it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think it's great that after spending ages using claymores, halberds, hammers and whatnot I've now gone full circle and returned to using my trusty longsword that got me through a large part of the early game. Of course instead of Fire Longsword it's now Lightning Longsword +10 and I can make it super zappy to boot but it's still the same blade I picked up from that salamander cave in the first area way back when.

I know there are better weapons around for cookie cutting but the fact that you can (for the most part) use a weapon you're comfortable with and enjoy using even throughout the whole game is one of my favorite features in these games.

On a semi-related note I've now been invaded 5 times by black phantoms and arbiters in NG+ in Forest of the Giants alone and I'm doing way better against 'em with the longsword than any other weapon I've used. The normal game was so invasion-free it's great to have some dueling going on, just need to try and not get killed by the Smurfs because I'm barely sinful and it drops every time you lose to one.

Burns posted:

Could use some context but are you sure you're not holding your shield up and getting guard broken?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

pmchem posted:

How do covenants work in the NG -> NG+ transition? If I'm a rank 1 sunbro holding 5 medals in inventory, do my rank and medals carry over to NG+? Or if I want to get Sunlight Spear, should I grind to rank 3 before leaving NG?
Everything carries over, and you can't get any additional covenant rank up rewards in NG+(X)

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of, is acid surge worth trying to use in pvp? How fast could you really break some of the other guy's gear with it?
It and most of the other durability damaging things are basically not worth using unless you're going to solely dedicate your entire effort in doing that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think I ever noticed any holes, the areas you can walk on seemed pretty solid to me. Honestly, though, compared to the Purgatory approach or everything from Harvest Valley to Iron Keep I thought Amana was almost relaxing. It's a really boring area, but there's at least no bullshit. Every enemy is visible in advance and you have plenty of room to maneuver. Demanding is the last thing I'd call it.

There's aren't really any holes, but it you do have a limited area you can walk in before it drops off into deep (fatal) water. Most of the time this can be avoided just by sticking to the paths or using a light source, but it is easy to accidentally roll too far and drown.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

There's aren't really any holes, but it you do have a limited area you can walk in before it drops off into deep (fatal) water. Most of the time this can be avoided just by sticking to the paths or using a light source, but it is easy to accidentally roll too far and drown.

Disclaimer: Do not use a torch in Shrine of Amana.

I never tried using Cast Light, but torches are A Bad Idea.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Umberger posted:

I dunno, as long as you watch out for the sparkly bits then you don't have many problems using one to see the edges.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I really hope they introduce some true infinite-use invasion items in some patch. Some unique incentive to invade players as a blue/red rear end in a top hat beyond the covenant rewards would be nice, otherwise there are other covenants that are far better for PvP. Even the duel zones are a wasteland.

Only letting people invade/duel when human is also dumb, I mean I thought the whole point was to do this duty to your god so they may reward you with power, or you know to just be a dick and murder someone for their precious humanity? That's how it worked in demon's souls.

Human effigies are modern Mario levels of 1-up abundant but you know new players aren't in that mindset, hurts invasion just a bit more IMO.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

I just angled my view very nearly straight down, that seemed to suffice. All in all it was less aggravating than the Hydra fights in DS1, but maybe that's just me being used to it already.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Umberger posted:

Cast Light lasts for a pitiful amount of time now, I don't think it's worth using an attunement slot for unless you have an abundance of them, and maybe if you use Lingering Dragoncrest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What catalysts are worth upgrading late game? I need a good dark chime, maybe a better lightning chime than priest's and maybe dark and magic staves but I haven't been using them much lately so idk.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Umberger posted:

I meant that more in terms of going off the obvious path, since they put a lot of treasure out in the areas where it's not so clear where you can/can't walk (after you're probably killed off most stuff). I don't remember Cast Light causing many problems though, torches moreso.

dis astranagant posted:

What catalysts are worth upgrading late game? I need a good dark chime, maybe a better lightning chime than priest's and maybe dark and magic staves but I haven't been using them much lately so idk.

Caitha's Chime upgraded and infused with dark is pretty much the best for hexes. I liked using the Black Witch's Staff for sorceries and miracles since it can do both, but I don't know if it's necessarily the best.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Do you guys never use bows?

I got the Dragonrider Great Bow, bought 999 arrows for 9990 souls. And just plinked every enemy in the Shrine of Amana. You can see where the weird bleed monsters are pretty easily. Everything dies in 2-3 arrows. It's easy, especially since the area is so open.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had to sit pretty close to the screen and look straight down to be sure I wasn't going to walk off a cliff. The main path is obvious enough that you can always tell where to stand to be safe but those optional paths are a bastard at points.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Magic Staff of Wisdom is best for sorcery, Dark Sunset Staff is best for hexes. Black Witch Staff is pretty good for everything and needs no switching.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why shouldn't you use a torch in Amana?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Antinumeric posted:

Do you guys never use bows?

I got the Dragonrider Great Bow, bought 999 arrows for 9990 souls. And just plinked every enemy in the Shrine of Amana. You can see where the weird bleed monsters are pretty easily. Everything dies in 2-3 arrows. It's easy, especially since the area is so open.

I never used a bow really (not enough dex for anything decent), but I had binoculars and lightning. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The Dragon Chime is the best lightning chime in the game if you infuse it with lightning.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Kimmalah posted:

I never used a bow really (not enough dex for anything decent), but I had binoculars and lightning. :v:

I used that bow since it scales off strength rather than dex. Pretty awesome for a two hand halberd build.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

poptart_fairy posted:

It pisses off the lurking dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

It makes the lizard dudes aggro from very far away, and there are a few off the beaten path that you otherwise wouldn't encounter that turn a 1v1 into a 3v1 with a mage shooting poo poo at you too.

Kimmalah posted:

Caitha's Chime upgraded and infused with dark is pretty much the best for hexes. I liked using the Black Witch's Staff for sorceries and miracles since it can do both, but I don't know if it's necessarily the best.

Dark Chime of Want has a higher form of S scaling, so if your Int/Faith are high then it will out-perform Dark Caitha's.