Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Woozy posted:

Devotees of the American Politics Show will recall that Coates rose to prominence at The Atlantic by being a huge crybaby about the Sanders campaign and Just Asking Questions about why Bernie wouldn't support reparations. Sometime later he read Bloodlands and concluded that maybe the Nazis weren't the only bad guys but this is just a coincidence.

coates was a really strong supporter of bernie. he was right about reparations, and his criticism came out of a place of respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Woozy posted:

Devotees of the American Politics Show will recall that Coates rose to prominence at The Atlantic by being a huge crybaby about the Sanders campaign and Just Asking Questions about why Bernie wouldn't support reparations. Sometime later he read Bloodlands and concluded that maybe the Nazis weren't the only bad guys but this is just a coincidence.

lmao no, TNC rose to prominence at The Atlantic wayyyy before the 2016 election was a thing, and this is a complete distortion of his writing and opinions

e:

KomradeX posted:

Not sure if this is a good article from the Atlantic or barley concealed right wing bullshit from them

In which The Atlantic asks of PC Culture has gone too far Stu

probably a good article, it's been a topic of occasional interest for the Atlantic's writers over the last several years, and it shouldn't shock anyone that a student-led organization would actually turn out to be a toxic shitpit mostly interested in performative wokeness and the petty power offered by leftist forms of tribal status-seeking and gatekeeping

while there are doubtless valid points to be made about the cultural background of the authors covered, you should also probably be able to see why students who were genuinely interested in the whole Western classics thing (and holy poo poo if you aren't why are you paying to go to Reed?) would be upset at having their classes disrupted by people who (apparently) equate focused discussion of Greek philosophy with the black underclass getting murdered by cops

(I'm admittedly biased since I actually audited Hum 101 at Reed back in the early 2000's to finish out the rest of my freshman year humanities after I decided my original liberal arts school was a bad fit- would have taken it for credit but lol it was like $6k vs. $200 or something ridiculous)

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Nov 2, 2017

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Okay but lots of people write and have written for The Atlantic and there's no shortage of bloggers anywhere. Coates' coronation as a public intellectual (the sign of any great charlatan) came in 2015 per Google Trends and besides that it's the only piece he's written I've ever seen anyone talk about outside of the usual circles.

This brings up an interesting question, though: when, precisely, is someone officially canonized as a Prominent Liberal Intellectual? Is it when they participate in the public flogging of a dissident colleague? Is it when they repackage Nazi propaganda for the consumption of Atlantic readership? Or does it merely require that someone a higher rung up the ladder declare you as such? Anything one of these things happening is a pretty good predictor of all three when it comes to the great pack of fraudulent twits that come to be American opinion-makers, but at what stage in particular does the transformation occur?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Um, Coates is notable for his writing on, amoung other things, the Obama presidency and the X-Men. In the latter case, both as a commentator and later for actually writing comics.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Woozy posted:

Okay but lots of people write and have written for The Atlantic and there's no shortage of bloggers anywhere. Coates' coronation as a public intellectual (the sign of any great charlatan) came in 2015 per Google Trends and besides that it's the only piece he's written I've ever seen anyone talk about outside of the usual circles.

This brings up an interesting question, though: when, precisely, is someone officially canonized as a Prominent Liberal Intellectual? Is it when they participate in the public flogging of a dissident colleague? Is it when they repackage Nazi propaganda for the consumption of Atlantic readership? Or does it merely require that someone a higher rung up the ladder declare you as such? Anything one of these things happening is a pretty good predictor of all three when it comes to the great pack of fraudulent twits that come to be American opinion-makers, but at what stage in particular does the transformation occur?

LMAO Are you still salty about the primaries you giant idiot pissbaby tankie?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Woozy posted:

I think it's just signal boosting from other self-interested parties, as well as a lack of awareness of him on your part, he's a genuinely good writer with a distinctive voice that focused on relevant issues during the Age of Obama, so it's not at all shocking they'd choose to prominently feature him and he'd move up within the magazine- you apparently perceive him as the Bernie-Sanders-Reparations-Character-Assassination-Guy because that's the context in which his writing was instrumentally used/incorrectly presented by outside parties, but that depiction is loving hilariously wrong as someone who has been reading him out of genuine interest since back when he was routinely blogging about World of Warcraft

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

KomradeX posted:

Not sure if this is a good article from the Atlantic or barley concealed right wing bullshit from them

quote:

“The movement cannot continue to manufacture an enemy that has agreed to review the syllabus [and] bended over backwards on all accounts to accommodate the free speech of the protesters,” wrote Misha, another freshman, in the first op-ed critical of RAR published in the paper. Yet the more accommodation that’s been made, the more disruptive the protests have become—and the more heightened the rhetoric. “Black Lives Matter” was the common chant at last year’s boycott. This year’s? “No cops, no KKK, no racist USA.” RAR increasingly claims those cops will be unleashed on them—or, in their words, Hum professors are “entertaining threatening violence on our bodies.”

This sounds like they are getting their ideas from Sovereign Citizens.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Elephant Ambush posted:

watched the news lately?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Elephant Ambush posted:

What do you think about Trump?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
zzzzZZZZZZzzzzz... zzzzZZZZZZzzzzz... zzzzZZZZZZzzzzz...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

LGD posted:

probably a good article, it's been a topic of occasional interest for the Atlantic's writers over the last several years, and it shouldn't shock anyone that a student-led organization would actually turn out to be a toxic shitpit mostly interested in performative wokeness and the petty power offered by leftist forms of tribal status-seeking and gatekeeping

while there are doubtless valid points to be made about the cultural background of the authors covered, you should also probably be able to see why students who were genuinely interested in the whole Western classics thing (and holy poo poo if you aren't why are you paying to go to Reed?) would be upset at having their classes disrupted by people who (apparently) equate focused discussion of Greek philosophy with the black underclass getting murdered by cops

(I'm admittedly biased since I actually audited Hum 101 at Reed back in the early 2000's to finish out the rest of my freshman year humanities after I decided my original liberal arts school was a bad fit- would have taken it for credit but lol it was like $6k vs. $200 or something ridiculous)

I don't know because every time you see one of three articles about how PC culture is gong mad on campus turns out the articles always end up misrepresenting what is actually going on

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Woozy posted:

The Atlantic was ground zero for the deployment of social justice rhetoric in defense of neoliberalism and austerity
nah, they've been beating the drum against toxic student activism for at least a couple of years now. they wrote an article about this same subject two years ago. and all of these articles never say anything new so i'm not gonna bother reading this one

Karl Barks posted:

coates was a really strong supporter of bernie. he was right about reparations, and his criticism came out of a place of respect
he either supported hillary in the primary, or his words about bernie were twisted by the hillary campaign as a sign of support that wasn't there. either way, he's said post-election that "identity first" politics is no way to win

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

If TNC really supported Sanders then he is a great example of the type of smart guy who doesn't understand how politics work.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

If TNC really supported Sanders then he is a great example of the type of smart guy who doesn't understand how politics work.
buddy, you can't just leave a whopper like that and expect us to interpret what you mean

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do you ever post anything apart from shrill callouts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KomradeX posted:

It used to be you and your whole family could link arms and jump into a wheat thresher and all your limbs would go flying off and now the queers are getting rid of Christmas

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

quote:

When someone asked for specifics, a RAR leader replied, “Asking for people to display their trauma so that you feel sufficiently satisfied is a form of violence.”

But another RAR member did offer a specific via Facebook: “The​ ​appropriation​ ​of​ ​AAVE [African American Vernacular English]​ ​on​ ​her​ ​shirt​ ​during​ ​lecture:​ ​‘Poetry​ ​is​ ​lit’ ​is​ ​a​ ​form​ ​of​ ​anti-blackness.”
lmao

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If half of the stuff in the Atlantic article is true, then its still a condemnation.

I think it's fair to say there's a problem with parasitic performative wokeness.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

buddy, you can't just leave a whopper like that and expect us to interpret what you mean
His articles were used to bash Sanders in a way they weren't used to attack Clinton

Which is part of reason he got a paycheck from the Atlantic at all, I'll wager.

Maybe he didn't see it that way, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i fully expect this kind of behavior from Reed College. it's the same place that hijacked a screening of Boys Don't Cry to call the director gendered insults and demand that she come out as trans

rudatron posted:

His articles were used to bash Sanders in a way they weren't used to attack Clinton

Which is part of reason he got a paycheck from the Atlantic at all, I'll wager.

Maybe he didn't see it that way, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.
now that you explained it, i interpreted that post in a way that was completely wrong

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sounds to me like the lesson is that private schools are bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

sounds to me like the lesson is that private schools are bad
i went to a private college, can confirm. it wasn't bad because the student body was terminally woke, it was bad because it consisted of either theater kids or guys just going to get a degree that's contingent upon getting a high-paying job from a family connection

also the administration was godawful. let me sum it up this way: the current college president spent 5 years at bain capital in the 80s and had no prior academic experience whatsoever, and he's still not as bad as the stuffy academic he took over for

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It used to be you and your whole family could link arms and jump into a wheat thresher and all your limbs would go flying off and now the queers are getting rid of Christmas

hosed up if true

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTrC86mmPaw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rudatron posted:

If half of the stuff in the Atlantic article is true, then its still a condemnation.

I think it's fair to say there's a problem with parasitic performative wokeness.

the lesson is that white women are not actually minorities no matter how much they want to be

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

rudatron posted:

this. reading into the reed RAR demands. http://reediesagainstracism.tumblr.com/demands most of decent or good. but these students are going nuts over a dumb loving song on snl. now they are accusing the teachers of every negative buzzword and trying to extort money from students and harass other people of color. it sucks because alot of the ideas and demands were/are good but its just shitheads trying to look the most "progressive" and using it to bully others. it sucks. also i bet you half if not more of the RAR students are white kids from well off families. the college i got to is pretty loving progressive and we never have these types of assholes.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Nov 3, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder which bangladeshi hellhole factory that garbage was made in

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
the tumblr kids are all grown up and going to college

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im the ron paul "revolution" thing co-mingled with non-lolbertarian things

im also the strange not-quite anarchy symbol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats really loving sad on so many levels.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The funniest thing is that they sell the same jacket without the scribbles for 175$

So presumably, this is for someone who is too lazy to write on their jacket and is willing to pay a 200$ premium for someone else to do it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They also sell the same jacket for < $50 at your local army surplus store, and you can steal some sharpies from your high school.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

The funniest thing is that they sell the same jacket without the scribbles for 175$

So presumably, this is for someone who is too lazy to write on their jacket and is willing to pay a 200$ premium for someone else to do it

it's not about expressing yourself, it's about the brand.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

surely you're not implying, here in the woke brand thread, that the brand isn't how you express yourself

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Get this,

It's the same brand wether you pay 175 or 275 for it!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

Get this,

It's the same brand wether you pay 175 or 275 for it!

moran: the designer scribbles are also the brand

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:whitewater:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

taqueso posted:

They also sell the same jacket for < $50 at your local army surplus store, and you can steal some sharpies from your high school.

where do you think they got their stock? guaranteed $300+ markup for rich dilettante morons isn't the worst business model in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU