Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
not even a sitting member of Congress can procure a 3080, but sure, tell us again how it's only a demand issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Twerkdad posted:

You can get a individually sleeved 12-pin cables here:
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Custom-Sleeved-PCIE-Modular-Cable-for-NVIDIA-RTX-30-Series-Mini-12-Pin.html

It'll apparently take a month or so to show up though

Yeah that's where I ended up getting it from, and sprung for fast shipping. Hopefully more like a week at most?

Edit: Just found this on Reddit:

a reddit nerd posted:

Unfortunately the downside of moddiy in my experience is the shipping. I placed an order on 9/6, asked them about shipping 9/13, they said it’d ship the next day, it actually shipped 9/17. It then didn’t leave HK until 10/1 to get here on 10/5.

And that was an in stock off the shelf item, not a custom cable.

This is going to be fun

pzy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 21, 2020

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Glad I didn’t invest in any of the subsequent purchases planned around getting off my 970 finally, I guess.

redreader posted:

They're going to have to give a q3 earnings at some point and they'll have to tell the truth then, but they'd rather it was kept secret for now.

Nov 18th, Nvidia has a janky fiscal. Worth noting that Gaming is no longer the primary revenue driver anymore; Data Center is.

Pivo posted:

assuming you game at 350W vs. 275W for some new respin, and you are gaming literally 24/7, and you pay an insane 15c/kWh, it will cost you $8.10 per month in excess usage

you're jumping the shark here boys

TIL I pay an insane power rate (15.805c/ kWh).

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
After an unsatisfactory ETA response from my computer supplier I've canceled my 3080 backorder. Nvidia shall not got any money from me. Raytracing eye candy will have to wait. I'm also going to hold off on Cyberpunk until next year, hopefully there will be some kind of sale/bundle/dlc bargain later on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

pzy posted:

Hello I have a story:

Your friend is a loving idiot.

But hey, sometimes it's good to have loving idiot friends with more money than brains.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ElehemEare posted:

Here in Ontario our electricity is said to be expensive, currently it's 12.8c Canadian so that was my yardstick. I think under time of use pricing pre-COVID it was between 10 and 14 or something like that, which is cheap in USD terms.

Looks like 15.8c is fairly expensive for most of the US though, so I guess 15 is pretty insane: https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=509122800

I know it's a lot more expensive than that in a lot of places across the pond though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

pzy posted:

Feel bad for me etc

It boggles my mind that someone spends thousands on something and doesn't keep every single piece of that thing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the thing about the US is that commodities including electricity, gas as well as consumer goods are cheaper than most countries.
downside is paying out of your nose for lovely privatized healthcare and education

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1318320725758038017

lmao

___

Fake Double Post:

Cyberpunk 2077 Will Only Offer Ray-Tracing on Nvidia Hardware At Launch

quote:

Cyberpunk 2077 will not offer ray-tracing for AMD graphics cards at launch, the developer has confirmed.

In an interview with PC Gamer's magazine, art director Jakup Knapik confirmed that only Nvidia Geforce cards will support the feature when the game launches next month.

If you're a console gamer, you're likely wondering what all the fuss is about, but this concerns you, too.

Both the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X will use AMD-based parts, meaning you're going to have to wait a while for the full Cyberpunk 2077 experience on those platforms.

double lmao

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 21, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1318737296120778752?s=20

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I questioned pairing a 2060 with an i7 10600k (money better spent on a more powerful card before cpu) but I suspect that computer is primarily used for video editing based on the RAM and what most be one or more of those big PCIE SSDs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The computer supposedly belongs to one of her staffers so yeah probably set up for video editing.

(Also she was just murdering the poo poo out of people on stream with AOC earlier tonight)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

OK I wanted her freed before but maybe she needs to go back to jail for pairing an i9 with a WD platter drive.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
My 3080 non-OC TUF from Amazon was delivered today! Got it installed in my Meshify C and it is a very, very snug fit. Working like a dream so far.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

pzy posted:

Feel bad for me etc

that sucks, Seasonic is sending me a 12pin cable and I’d send you my adapter if it were cost effective to ship it from the US

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I questioned pairing a 2060 with an i7 10600k (money better spent on a more powerful card before cpu) but I suspect that computer is primarily used for video editing based on the RAM and what most be one or more of those big PCIE SSDs

Or they planned on getting a 30 series card.

Its was a ridiculously entertaining stream once they got everything set up and started playing.

No spoilers but you should def have popcorn ready for the first game.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ElehemEare posted:

Mine is .30c/kWh and occasionally gets to .38c/kWh. Need to get some solar panels!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

OK I wanted her freed before but maybe she needs to go back to jail for pairing an i9 with a WD platter drive.

There's a reason she's not up to date on these things lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ElehemEare posted:

I always wonder whether people are including the surcharges or not. My top tier of electric pricing is 6.48c per kWh (base tier is 4.5c) but counting all the distribution fees and surcharges, minus the flat meter fee and the sales tax, the total price was 16.8c per kWh for 807 kW, plus tax. So adding the fees roughly triples the cost of electricity.

You can't just buy electricity and not pay the surcharges, so that is a consideration when working out the cost of running a rig (or mining). And during the summer if you are running the a/c you should double that estimate to account for the power it takes to get rid of the heat. Not that it's that expensive unless you're pegging it at 100% load all the time (hello folding@home workers) but it's not nothing either, my fileserver idles at 70W spinning 8 drives, that works out to $8.46 a month, or $17/mo for running the A/C. If you have a 400W gaming rig and you play 4 hours a day on it it works out to $8/mo, and if you leave it idling (a number from a review suggests 55W for a 3080 rig, let's say 70W if you are doing some browsing and other minor stuff that doesn't quite let it full idle) another 8 hours a day (while you work/etc) then that's another $2.82 a month. So that's $11/mo for the gaming rig even not leaving it jammed to 100% load 24/7 and shutting it down when you're not using it, and again you double that if you are running the A/C.

(and no, running the PC is not a good source of heat during the winter. Electric heating is the most expensive way to heat, it is several multiples of even what it costs to heat with something expensive like propane. What you are displacing is heat that would otherwise have been generated by a cheap source of energy like natural gas or propane or fuel oil, it's not saving you as much fuel as you think it is.)

Again, not that $11/mo is the end of the world, but it's not "practically nothing" like people suggest either. A couple PCs can make a pretty noticeable bump in your electric bill, especially older ones (it's not uncommon for older machines like Nehalem and earlier to idle at 100+ watts) or server-grade equipment that do not idle down as well, and especially during the summer.

Where possible, if you have a HTPC or similar where you are just going to leave it on 24/7, it does make sense to either use a chromecast or something or use a low-power PC like a NUC. I'm a huge fan of the J5005, they idle at under 5W, they have HDMI 2.0b support and hardware decode for all the latest formats except AV1, they are quite tolerable for light desktop use or office work (Gemini Lake is between Core2Quad and Nehalem i5 level performance), and there's a seller on Amazon who regularly clears out big batches of new-old-stock units for $120, just add memory and a SSD. It will take a while to offset the cost compared to a "free" older machine but over time the extra power you spend on the old machine's inefficient idle does add up.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 21, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

There's a lot of Joe Basics who will walk into Microcenter and not really care, but anyone who does cursory research into expensive poo poo they're buying is going to notice AMD does have DLSS which is a big one. For me I'm pretty much locked out from AMD because I rely on Moonlight Game Streaming to play MtG Arena on my phone, and I have a G-Sync 21:9 monitor at home. Nvidia has been smart about packing in a lot of critical features.

For CPU sure, I'm probably gonna switch to Ryzen 3 for the efficiency improvements.

steam streaming's been better than moonlight for me these days, so you're not locked in there, just add mtga to steam and install the steam app. i couldn't moonlight anymore when they hid that poo poo behind geforce experience, so i switched and it's been great.

bad news about gsync tho :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Taima posted:

People can say what they want about DLSS not being adopted on everything but I'll say one thing for sure: when people are playing CP2077 and getting a fraction of the frames they could be, it's going to feel like poo poo no matter what.

Card in hand beats DLSS in the bush, as the saying goes, as long as AMD has comparable performance and *actual cards for sale*.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol CP2077 sure is going to sell those Ampere cards no one can get

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

Card in hand beats DLSS in the bush, as the saying goes, as long as AMD has comparable performance and *actual cards for sale*.

maybe I'm just dumb, but if someone really wanted DLSS, and they can't find an Ampere card, and they're not already on Turing, couldn't they buy Turing instead?

like, even for the people who aren't buying into Turing because of Step-Up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Turing cards are still hella expensive despite Ampere technically being out, so you're asking a lot for people to drop even 500bux on a 2070 knowing that's going to be invalidated in a couple months.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Turing cards are still hella expensive despite Ampere technically being out, so you're asking a lot for people to drop even 500bux on a 2070 knowing that's going to be invalidated in a couple months.

so it's something like - if Big Navi is comparable in performance to Ampere in RT, non-RT, and non-DLSS scenarios, which by extension would also make them superior to Turing, AND the cards are actually available, it's still potentially a better value proposition to go with AMD, even if you lose DLSS, compared to waiting however many months it'll take to get an Ampere card, or buying a Turing card knowing that that's already previous-gen and isn't offering good price-performance?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think a lot of people will simply take what they can get

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

gradenko_2000 posted:

so it's something like - if Big Navi is comparable in performance to Ampere in RT, non-RT, and non-DLSS scenarios, which by extension would also make them superior to Turing, AND the cards are actually available, it's still potentially a better value proposition to go with AMD, even if you lose DLSS, compared to waiting however many months it'll take to get an Ampere card, or buying a Turing card knowing that that's already previous-gen and isn't offering good price-performance?

And if the AMD drivers for the new cards aren't crash prone trash for several months.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's finally Stadia's time to shine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

it's finally Stadia's GeForce Now's time to shine

:colbert:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Better value proposition compared to Turing selling for msrp and Ampere being non-existant or scalped for 2x the price, basically:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think a lot of people will simply take what they can get

Of course, that's presuming AMD doesn't completely drop the ball, which uhhh let's see how that goes

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gonna lol at the performance of CP2077 on the custom vega 56 stadia uses
and i'm betting there's going to be a decent number of people who buy it for their shiny new PS5/XSX without realizing it's playing in PS4/XOX mode

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Watch AMD have exactly the same stock issues as nvidia and nobody can buy any video cards at all.

"Actually we don't have the fab capacity to launch Zen 3 and Big Navi cards and supply next gen console graphics chips to Sony and Microsoft so..."

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

K8.0 posted:

Minecraft and Quake II.

It's pretty funny that this is a real answer.

Metro Exodus is another

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like another problem with the supply/demand is that nobody wants to spend nearly the same money on worse cards so everyone is just waiting around for an Ampere card. If I could get a Turing card at an appropriate discount, I'd strongly consider getting it and just waiting for a 3080 super or whatever (or skipping until next gen).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

sean10mm posted:

Watch AMD have exactly the same stock issues as nvidia and nobody can buy any video cards at all.

"Actually we don't have the fab capacity to launch Zen 3 and Big Navi cards and supply next gen console graphics chips to Sony and Microsoft so..."

To me the ridiculous thing are all the leaks about new models and refreshes despite nobody being able to buy any card. Yeah um next up we've got the Gaming Force Excalibur 9900 series, you're gonna love it guys it's got even more fictional VRAM than the last thing also we made up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

To me the ridiculous thing are all the leaks about new models and refreshes despite nobody being able to buy any card. Yeah um next up we've got the Gaming Force Excalibur 9900 series, you're gonna love it guys it's got even more fictional VRAM than the last thing also we made up.

Card Citizen

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i don't doubt the demand is p. high because a lot of people skipped the RTX 2000 series completely because it's ridiculously expensive for barely any performance increase over 1000 series. i think you get the worse frame/$ in some cases, it was that bad.

so now there's an actual upgrade for the 1000 series, and there's actually a couple rtx/dlss games out so people want to upgrade

on top of that, there's like 10 cards per week per continent lmfao

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Truga posted:

i don't doubt the demand is p. high because a lot of people skipped the RTX 2000 series completely because it's ridiculously expensive for barely any performance increase over 1000 series. i think you get the worse frame/$ in some cases, it was that bad.

so now there's an actual upgrade for the 1000 series, and there's actually a couple rtx/dlss games out so people want to upgrade

on top of that, there's like 10 cards per week per continent lmfao

On top of that, the demand for tech and entertainment right now is bananas, period. Covid has absolutely turned poo poo on its head.

Can you even buy home gym equipment for reasonable prices yet?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VorpalFish posted:

On top of that, the demand for tech and entertainment right now is bananas, period. Covid has absolutely turned poo poo on its head.

Can you even buy home gym equipment for reasonable prices yet?

Buy a 3090 and kill two birds with one stone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Carecat posted:

Metro Exodus is another

Metro Exodus on the 3080 at 1440p runs at over 100fps on Ultra without DLSS and raytraced global illumination makes it probably one of the most beautiful and atmospheric games I've ever played. Switch audio to Russian for the best experience.

A+++ highly recommend