Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Yeah, basically I just want something where someone can fill in that they took a charger because theirs was lost or whatever and being able to see how many we have left.

Mostly about keeping track of quantities. We're so small I don't really want to build something and I am not very good at sheets/excel, so just seeing if there was a easy solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So far it seems that I did not cause a 5 figure issue, it seems that the customer had a custom implementation and didn't mention that to me, so the normal fixes won't work. Still caused downtime though, but not as much as I thought it was going to be.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Crap happens sometimes, don't stress about it.

I will say it's all how you handle when something does go wrong though. I've had to get on the phone with high level stakeholders and C suite members and own up to a couple mistakes in my career and they've all understood, but I came with why it happened, how it happened, what we were doing to fix it, and most importantly how we weren't going to let it happen again. Owning up to the mistake, not bullshitting anyone or hiding it, or trying to cover it up is the key. If you're familiar with the phrase "the coverup is worse than the crime", it's like that in my experience. Rarely is a major issue the sole responsibility of one person, and most business people seem to get that. Either something was missed in the planning, or like u/Zil mentioned an unknown custom implementation that wasn't disclosed, or a procedure wasn't followed, something like that.

Earlier this year we had a bad code push to production on a Friday night. I wasn't involved, but it took down our mobile app for about 30 minutes. No one got fired or anything, but they went back, did the PM, adjusted processes and checks and balances so it hopefully doesn't happen again. So next time you think you made a mistake, just be glad you didn't knock out the online banking app for over 13 million people on a Friday night.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 22, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

When was the last backup?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 22, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 22, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

On a scale of bad to good, I'd say bad.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 22, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not great, but not the end of the world. If it's important enough the meetings and emails will be resent.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not great but not catastrophic probably? The only exception I can think of is if someone lost something under regulatory control.

List of things that should have been done:

- full backup immediately before migration
- migration should have been automated to avoid error
- automation should have been tested in full and signed off on before running in prod
- disaster recovery plan should have been in place

The lack of these things is probably not the fault of a single person, but the fault of the processes (or lack thereof)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, basically I just want something where someone can fill in that they took a charger because theirs was lost or whatever and being able to see how many we have left.

Mostly about keeping track of quantities. We're so small I don't really want to build something and I am not very good at sheets/excel, so just seeing if there was a easy solution.

SnipeIT is an extremely easy solution to stand up and can do that stuff. This very thread recommended it to me years ago and we still use it for that very thing.

Just try not to be the poor bastard who has to audit inventory and keep track of itens once its stood up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sistergodiva posted:

If it's your IT staff handing things out then make a new ticket type for "hardware provided" and put some subcategories in, and open tickets for people whenever they need cables, mice, chargers etc. Then you can easily run a report off if you have to.

If you don't manage to move any of the data then it's not really a migration

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If you don't manage to move any of the data then it's not really a migration

:monocle:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

I got my first grey hairs 8 years ago. They were the result of an email server issue. We were running Exchange on a SBS 2003 server and no one was monitoring mailbox sizes. One of our users let their box grow to over 2GB in size, which corrupted the database. Took me and the MSP we work with a week to get everything sorted out and running again.

Your company, especially C-suite people, will act like it's the end of the world. It's not. Email is a convenience, not a necessity. Business will continue.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This is a net gain actually

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

Your company, especially C-suite people, will act like it's the end of the world. It's not. Email is a convenience, not a necessity. Business will continue.

This. The person on the other end of that email still has the copy of the thing they sent you.

Email for me is a big garbage pile with a search box that I use to find something someone mentioned last month and I forgot exactly what they said. If I don't have it, I'm just bothering that person more often.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

KillHour posted:

This. The person on the other end of that email still has the copy of the thing they sent you.

Email for me is a big garbage pile with a search box that I use to find something someone mentioned last month and I forgot exactly what they said. If I don't have it, I'm just bothering that person more often.

Nearly 100% of successful phishing attempts are email based. So really losing some percentage of emails is just reducing the amount of threats in the system. They should promote you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Defenestrategy posted:

Nearly 100% of successful phishing attempts are email based. So really losing some percentage of emails is just reducing the amount of threats in the system. They should promote you.

Now thats some galaxy brain level poo poo right there. I love it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I always enjoy tapping the "email is not a document management system" sign.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I always enjoy tapping the "email is not a document management system" sign.

My favorite was my old director using the follow up feature as his project management method.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

After about a year of my boss underutilizing me, and struggling with professional ennui, I basically pushed my way into a collaborative project with another adjacent team and now my plate is full.

I’m now getting to develop professionally in the way I want to go but holy poo poo I’ve gone from the occasional support ticket to trying to learn basic full stack development from the ground up and I need to actually manage my workload. This is great/awful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zil posted:

I may have made a 5 figure mistake today, not sure, will have to find out when I clock in tomorrow.

At $AWFUL_JOB I was specifically in charge of making sure customer file share backups were working. They never worked, it was a huge hassle.

Once, at my hedgefund a principle member that was bigly huge important called me. He had deleted or broken an excel sheet or something that was absolutely critical to his job and not having it would be a disaster, like a major financial disaster. He expounded how critical this was and really let me know, he really went into how important and critical it was. He needed me to recover the version from a couple days ago, he emailed my boss, his executives, everyone to let me know how important this was.

So I login to the backup system called and of course it's not there, and I can't even get back an older version. I spent a couple hours trying to see if I could do anything to get it working but nothing. I spent all night awake sure I was going to get fired. I actually updated my resume and started to organize some emails to recuiters etc. My boss/owner was a lunatic and certainly he would throw me under the bus. I commute to the office, go to the trader basically ready to be let go on the spot. I tell him that I tried to recover the file, and I'm sorry but I was unable to. He didn't even look up from his Bloomberg terminal to say "oh, no big deal I already recreated it last night".

It was never discussed again at all.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
* One time I was showing someone how spanning tree worked and plugged a switch into itself in our prod switch stack and proceeded to DDoS the whole building for 2 hours because it turns out spanning tree wasn't turned on. It was my 3rd day at the company and I was the only sysadmin.

* I was tasked with setting up scheduled maintenance of our power fail system once a month so that the ATS would kick over to UPS while the genset starts up, genset runs for 30 mins, then kicks back to mains and shuts the genset down and reports get emailed. The ATS for some reason had a setting where you could make it sit in a grounded state between mains power and genset power. I flubbed the configuration and instead of kicking over to genset power it sat in the neutral state, drained the UPS' and the entire prod stack shut down in the middle of the night. When mains power was restored, the hardware powered up automatically but all of the VM's were shut down. Nobody noticed until 6:00am the next day when they couldn't log in (because the DC was powered off).

* I had to replace a backplane in a storage server, pulled the backplane out, got the boards mixed up and put the broken backplane back in, and shipped the working one back to Dell.

* Wrote a cron that was supposed to stop nginx, delete an SSL cert, replace it with a fresh SSL. Instead, it deleted the entire /etc/ssl/certs directory

Sometimes you gotta learn things the hard way.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

A guy at previous hosting company pushed a script out to a shitload of windows servers, it was supposed to clean itself up. However, the tech didn't realize that it was running out of system32 so he deleted system32.

That's pretty good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's always the Eve classic.

EVE Online Trinity borks Windows, deletes boot.ini
The new expansion for EVE Online provides new ships and graphics, along with …

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 30, 2022

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

didn't that new aws mmo fry graphics cards too?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I had a GPO that ran a powershell script on user login. The powershell script ran a bat file to scan the users C:\ for PST files and then report back. Because I am the idiot that I am that likes dumb jokes, I called this bat file "Silent Spider" and gave it a big ASCII art splash screen with echo's like "Scanning drive", "Grabbing files", "Phoning home"

This bat file was supposed to run silently in the background so the user would never see it however I screwed up the vbs to stop the window from displaying so the next morning when people login a cmd window pops up with

code:
 #####  ### #       ####### #     # #######     #####  ######  ### ######  ####### ######  
#     #  #  #       #       ##    #    #       #     # #     #  #  #     # #       #     # 
#        #  #       #       # #   #    #       #       #     #  #  #     # #       #     # 
 #####   #  #       #####   #  #  #    #        #####  ######   #  #     # #####   ######  
      #  #  #       #       #   # #    #             # #        #  #     # #       #   #   
#     #  #  #       #       #    ##    #       #     # #        #  #     # #       #    #  
 #####  ### ####### ####### #     #    #        #####  #       ### ######  ####### #     # 

Scanning Drive...
Grabbing Files...
Phoning Home...                                                                      
That was a fun one to explain to the IT Director.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 30, 2022

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Years ago I worked for an e-commerce hosting company. We were having an issue in production that required a rolling restart of a few hundred application instances. Instead of letting the NOC run the script we already had for doing this, one of the senior engineers wrote a quick one-off script to login to each server and restart the app instances. Except he put the sleep in the wrong place so every instance shut down at the exact same time and we took a 10 minute outage across every site during the middle of the day. Blew a few SLAs on that one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

anyone who says they don't/haven't made massive excessive destructive mistakes in IT is lying to you or is actually massively incompetent. I've learned the best lessons and progressed the most in my career by loving things up beyond reasonable measure.

is it a mistake if you say "hey that backup server is hosed, and is probably gonna poo poo the bed and take all our backups with it" but then get shut down and don't go over your boss' head to warn the org that he's an incompetent rear end in a top hat and a liability?

The Fool posted:

Snipe-IT lets you track consumable items where you just set up the item time and a qty and don't worry about tracking the individual items.

Works well enough.

I love Snipe-IT and I've been trying to make the case for it in my current workplace. We got about as far as spinning up a test but the project lead couldn't figure out how to import a spreadsheet so it's getting axed under the premise of 'too difficult to use'.
The project lead is a helpdesk tech who just learned about folder permissions like 2 days ago. :suicide:
Not my circus though. I would rather have the person who is using the software pick what they want than have to hand hold them through something as mundane as inventory.

I'm not backing down on Lansweeper or PDQ Deploy / PDQ inventory though. Those rock and I will continue to champion them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Copenhagen is crazy. I’ll meet some of clam downs family here.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 22, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yea, if you gently caress something up and it looks real bad always tell your manager. Theyre probably gonna out sooner or later and it may as well be you instead of their boss surprising them with it. Live and learn.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 22, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Copenhagen is crazy. I’ll meet some of clam downs family here.

my people are swamp germans, not cave trolls

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

my people are swamp germans, not cave trolls

You're 8 feet tall or 37 meters. You are a loving cave troll.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

would he hit his head on the ceiling

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

would he hit his head on the ceiling

He has hit his head on the headboard for sure. He got carted off like tua

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 30, 2022

App13
Dec 31, 2011

We need a stop gap measure to verify that files backed up on $Server are the same as the files stored on $Computer while we wait for our vendor supplied solution.

Right now I’m just picking a folder and generating a sha256 hash on the computer, another on the server, and comparing them. Anyone have any neat tricks to make this process a little less manual, and a little more auditable?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what os's?

rsync has a built-in checksum mode

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well now your work is going to be checked.

Imo bring open about what you don't know and acknowledgment of what you don't know, which includes fuckups, makes a good IT coworker and gives good relationship with management.

Sounds like you're in a MSP and the exchange config had no DB fail over or replication. Very common, but usually the boss or whomever set it up will know the configuration well, not being a suggested configuration and all. Relying on veeam or whatever for exchange is dumb, but so is hosting your own mail in 2022

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 22, 2022

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

App13 posted:

We need a stop gap measure to verify that files backed up on $Server are the same as the files stored on $Computer while we wait for our vendor supplied solution.

Right now I’m just picking a folder and generating a sha256 hash on the computer, another on the server, and comparing them. Anyone have any neat tricks to make this process a little less manual, and a little more auditable?

You can also do rsync with --dry-run and it will tell you the changes it would make, but doesn't do them. You can see if the files match. You can also use -c to make it compare files by checksum instead of just size and date/time

something like this (from here):

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/57305/rsync-compare-directories

rsync -rvnc --delete ${SOURCE}/ ${DEST}

I also wrote a terrible script years ago that would take two paths, run a "find" on them to list the contents of both sides, and then do md5sums of everything, and return a list of what was not aligned (present on A, but not B, present on both but different, present on B but not A) and return a color coded list. It had a super weird application where we had a team doing migrations and didn't know how to use linux. That page has a similar solution but it's not what you want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The Fool posted:

what os's?

rsync has a built-in checksum mode

Windows PCs in a domain environment. Unfortunately the backup server is not on the domain so it’s kind of a nightmare. The only guy who can put the server on the domain is stretched so thin I can see daylight through him

I was going to throw powershell at it but the permissions and scopes and everything are a nightmare.