Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Shouldn't garak be getting dunked on nonstop by everybody?

The cardassians were arguably lamer than ferengi.

the cardassians are the coolest aliens in star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fun fact: the Cardassian neck ridges are entirely based on Alaimo having an absolutely massive neck. Like he's a human giraffe with girth for days and the makeup designers were like yeah, we can work with this

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

When the ferengi are introduced they're small but very strong, and cruel, and you can see where they're supposed to be a credible threat. But they couldn't pull it off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Beef City posted:

I'd like to know what those helmets were supposed to protect against

Think of it like a 1980s SwatchGuard, but for your face.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Justin Credible posted:

Ah sure it's better fresh. But yes, that's the basic idea.

But put this in your head for the next time you watch it - Garak didn't do anything but manipulate Sisko, plant the bomb and ice the forger.

He lied to him about even contacting anyone on Cardassia and says they all died - the same lie he tells Sisko to use on the Senator later. Garak also had the data rod the whole time, and did the farce with having to find a seller to get one in order to get the bio-mimetic gel that can be made into organic explosives. He always planned the blow up the Senator, as it was always the combination of the rod plus the assassination, even if it was a perfect forgery and wasn't found out. The evidence for all this is right there in the episode, it's just a 'between the lines' thing.

Garak started a war between galactic superpowers by killing one forger, blowing up one Romulan shuttle with a senator on it, and manipulating one Starfleet officer. While in exile, with no contacts or resources to speak of, save one data rod he squirreled away for a rainy day before his exile. Not even manipulating an Admiral or a head of a Starfleet division, just a starbase commander. Maybe the best Trek character ever, and certainly the most competent agent we ever see in Trek. Section 31 and the Tal'Shiar got nothing on Garak.

That all fits with my understanding of the episode. Great summary.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The General posted:

Ferengi will forever be weighed down by their early TNG appearances.

Even more so than the Cardassians.

Powered Descent posted:

Think of it like a 1980s SwatchGuard, but for your face.

They’re rebreathers. Because Hoomahns STINK.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Is there a tng ep where they don't get absolutely clowned on? It's been a minute.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is there a tng ep where they don't get absolutely clowned on? It's been a minute.

The one where Wesley finally fucks off forever.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The cardassians are a fascist society theyve already clowned themselves

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Whorelord posted:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*Worf crosses his legs*

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I maintain Manhunt is one of the funniest episodes of TNG.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

HD DAD posted:

I maintain Manhunt is one of the funniest episodes of TNG.

It was also the funniest game on the PS2

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

In Star Trek TNG: Birth of the Federation 2, the Ferengi are the most OP AI enemy to face because they have the cheapest ships and make alliances super easy, plus they get all kinds of money bonuses and can trade without a treaty, so next thing you know there's an huge invincible fleet just steamrolling everything. If you leave them be they'll easily conquer Q'Onos.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thats p much what would happen irl

naem
May 29, 2011

the americans of space

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

naem posted:

the americans of space

They arrive wearing their own Mickey Mouse ears.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Big Beef City posted:

I'd like to know what those helmets were supposed to protect against

I'm going to mix mythology here. During latter DS9 the Dominion ships use a head-mounted display for ship visuals that I'm pretty sure at some point someone mentions Cardassians being more compatible with than humans/bajorans.

It's possible that Cardassians, having such compatibility, had independently and previously developed something similar for HUD/Comms interfacing and that's what the TNG 'helmets' were. Why and how they fell out of use between the occupation, TNG, and DS9 is probably something that could be retconned as a TNG era having the Cardassians simply using them in limited capacity for testing purposes before deciding on a full-deployment.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mick Fleetwood!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were wearing those funny headsets as a sex thing. duh.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
Nobody tell Keiko

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Meany only there for the 2 for 1 drink special

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm going to mix mythology here. During latter DS9 the Dominion ships use a head-mounted display for ship visuals that I'm pretty sure at some point someone mentions Cardassians being more compatible with than humans/bajorans.

It's possible that Cardassians, having such compatibility, had independently and previously developed something similar for HUD/Comms interfacing and that's what the TNG 'helmets' were. Why and how they fell out of use between the occupation, TNG, and DS9 is probably something that could be retconned as a TNG era having the Cardassians simply using them in limited capacity for testing purposes before deciding on a full-deployment.

Thank you for taking the time to write this and think it through.
They just look like if American football players only wore the most basic facemask, like why bother?

E: I mean the single bar helmet, Google it, I was going to post a pic of it but my phone is being stupid

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 28, 2023

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Not Evans posted:

Nobody tell Keiko

he supports the working class in the best way possible, by paying them and also leaving them the gently caress alone

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 28, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Laterite posted:

he supports the working class in the best way possible, by paying them and also leaving them the gently caress alone

:hmmyes:

naem
May 29, 2011

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Stupid sexist baby, it’s no one

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GolfHole posted:

thats p much what would happen irl

Nah IRL they'd die to late stage capitalism

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Noam Chomsky posted:

That all fits with my understanding of the episode. Great summary.

For sure. And in another episode, I think a previous one, when Bashir asks Garak about the truth, since it's always lies and deflections. The clues are all there, scattered like crumbs. I think that episode was written within the context of Garak's philosphy.

Though in the wiki synopsis it takes the most direct possible read of it, but I'm not sure if the people that write those are capable of reading subtext. Not throwing shade, it's just the most literal surface level read of what is actually a complex and layered script.

Totally fine for a first pass, but for someone who's presumably seen the ep a few times, and has been exposed to these ideas about what was actually going on in the episode? Ehhh

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 28, 2023

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A wiki synopsis isn't for reading between the lines, it's for recapping what was seen on screen.

Edit: I'd be confused if I got book report in the middle of jogging my memory.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Read the memory alpha page, it's very long but deliberately omits certain specifics about what he tells Sisko to say to Vreenak, and what the bio-mimetic gel can be used for. While leaving in many, many other specifics (the line about the telling the Federation spies dying lie is in the 'memorable quotes', but not otherwise noted). Feels to me like the editor(s) don't even want to entertain the notion something more is going on.

And I summarized it fine in a single paragraph, I'd hardly call that a 'book report'. With how they explain what happens it would be nothing to add a paragraph to the reception subheader or something.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Garak is the hero of DS9?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I don't know the context of the question. But O'Brien is the hero. Period. Of everything.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
he's more than a hero, he's a union man

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

s-sp.. spa-spa.. :spock:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lazy_Liberal posted:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Sorry but I must have both these together in my posting history.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The Miles O'Brien thread was the funniest Star Trek content ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Colm Meaney still gets regular work compared to other Star Trek cast members.