Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

steam streaming's been better than moonlight for me these days, so you're not locked in there, just add mtga to steam and install the steam app. i couldn't moonlight anymore when they hid that poo poo behind geforce experience, so i switched and it's been great.

bad news about gsync tho :v:

Steam's streaming is better on wifi, but on phone data it's nearly unusable when Moonlight is rock-solid in exactly the same positions. Like I've had the phone on a fixed mount and going back and forth it's very obvious that Steam Link App locks up at low bitrates or has the whole screen get garbled, when Moonlight is handling it fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m told the Noctua paste is really good though?
Noctua paste is good, but they don't show expiration date on them, and you can't really tell how much is left which is pretty dumb design. It also comes in fairly small size options compared to some brands.

Unless the latest edition is somehow different than past ones.

The quality itself is fine though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ijyt posted:

I forget which console (maybe both) has confirmed that 3.5GB is always reserved for running the OS and poo poo in the background, so the GPU has about 12-13GB of VRAM to use at a given time.

It's the Xbox Series X that reserves 2.5GB, the remaining 13.5GB is shared between the CPU and GPU though so it's not likely that games will be able to budget 12GB for VRAM

I don't think we know how much is reserved on the Series S or PS5

How much VRAM does NV Broadcast eat up, out of interest?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

I’m told the Noctua paste is really good though?

Yeah its nearly as good but this stuff is a bit better.

As thin as possible also helps, think like "paper thin layer." Just enough to paint the top.

Cinebench went from 75-77 to 68-72.

68C with a 9600K at 5.0ghz is ridiculous.

I was also replacing 2 year old paste and I did wash off the radiator with water but repasting is good times.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ijyt posted:

There's no reason to wait for 20GB in any reasonable terms, it's really just a bigger number at this point. People need to remember that the consoles are splitting the VRAM for the GPU and saving part for the OS. I forget which console (maybe both) has confirmed that 3.5GB is always reserved for running the OS and poo poo in the background, so the GPU has about 12-13GB of VRAM to use at a given time. It won't really matter whether you have 8, 10, 11, 20 or 24GB for gaming.

Right, the issue I'm describing is with devs wasting VRAM causing thrashing rather than actually requiring it. It's a similar issue that people demonstrated with Doom Eternal on the 3080 by setting the VRAM pool there to be 'Ultra Nightmare' or whatever, which similarly caused thrashing and performance degradation not seen on the 3090, despite the extra heap / pool space not being required to fit all of the game's assets / buffers / etc.

Most people wouldn't know enough about technology to diagnose an issue like that, and gratuitous amounts of VRAM solves the issue for everyone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

repiv posted:

How much VRAM does NV Broadcast eat up, out of interest?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Pivo posted:

I know what a memory leak is. This is experienced with uptime of the PC, not uptime of the game client.

Then it's a memory leak with some other application you're using. "Runs fine at first but not after X time" is 100% a memory leak, not an issue where you've got too much stuff going on to be able to mash it into 10GB.

Even 1.5GB is a bit much for just desktop utilization, honestly, and you're saying that it actively needs considerably more than that.

Solid question for why CoD would bother allocating almost twice the space it actually has any intention of using. But hey, console ports are great like that sometimes.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

spunkshui posted:

Yeah its nearly as good but this stuff is a bit better.

As thin as possible also helps, think like "paper thin layer." Just enough to paint the top.

Cinebench went from 75-77 to 68-72.

68C with a 9600K at 5.0ghz is ridiculous.

I was also replacing 2 year old paste and I did wash off the radiator with water but repasting is good times.

The "2 year old paste" is probably what made the difference here more so than amount or brand. For the most part paste will just squeeze out if you have too much as long as your mounting pressure is good enough tbh, but over time you will get pump out.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

DrDork posted:

Then it's a memory leak with some other application you're using. "Runs fine at first but not after X time" is 100% a memory leak, not an issue where you've got too much stuff going on to be able to mash it into 10GB.

Even 1.5GB is a bit much for just desktop utilization, honestly, and you're saying that it actively needs considerably more than that.

A system that has just been started does not have many processes running. As you open more tabs, as applications like Discord or Messenger spend more time running they allocate buffers for their UI components. Think Discord/Messenger/etc loading images and back buffers as they scroll, chat logs, Firefox tabs and images, etc. It's not a memory leak, it's memory use. It eventually reaches a steady state as LRUs kick in. Everyone has their own heap limit.

Please - stop. I know what a memory leak is. I've been around a while.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

VorpalFish posted:

The "2 year old paste" is probably what made the difference here more so than amount or brand. For the most part paste will just squeeze out if you have too much as long as your mounting pressure is good enough tbh, but over time you will get pump out.

Totally agree the 2 years matters which is why I included the info, but I never had idle temps like this.

Case fans are hardly moving so its the same radiator that used to make me hapy with a 40-42C idle.

No downclocking, 1.4V is the max safe from intel so im def pumping voltage.

37C never happened before.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

VorpalFish posted:

My CPU has been posting higher temps than I'd like recently, I'm starting to think I should re-paste my CPU. I've not touched it in almost 3 years. :ohdear:

Side question: What's the best thing to clean old paste with? Any pure alcohol spirit cleaner (methylated / white spirit) be OK?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what the poo poo i got an email and made a purchase via the EVGA queue. I signed up for every card on like the 7th of this month. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth but seems odd.

edit: nvm checked mynotifies and i signed up for the xc3 ultra on 9/16 at 11:38 am

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 21, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

AirRaid posted:

My CPU has been posting higher temps than I'd like recently, I'm starting to think I should re-paste my CPU. I've not touched it in almost 3 years. :ohdear:

Side question: What's the best thing to clean old paste with? Any pure alcohol spirit cleaner (methylated / white spirit) be OK?

I used vodka because I had no pure alcohol and then mostly paper towel and water because I figured I was just being stupid.

Seems to run fine to me lol.

Repasting is cool and good.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Are 2080tis still really selling for more than the cost of a 3080? I'm seeing 700-850 depending on the card on ebay and I'm almost willing to go without a card for a month or two if I can upgrade for free.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AirRaid posted:

You can get specialized stuff for about $10 for a bottle that'll last you basically forever.

Or you can just use isopropyl alcohol like the rest of us. Get some 90%+ stuff and it'll be fine. Wipe most of it off with a cottonball or swabs, finish it off with a microfiber cloth.

bus hustler posted:

Are 2080tis still really selling for more than the cost of a 3080? I'm seeing 700-850 depending on the card on ebay and I'm almost willing to go without a card for a month or two if I can upgrade for free.

Some people are very impatient. They're not selling particularly fast, but yeah, they do still seem to sell. Do remember that eBay + PP will eat 15% of your sale, but it'll certainly get close to an even trade (assuming you can get a 3080 at MSRP anytime soon).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 21, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hell I use 70%. It works just fine.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

AirRaid posted:

I like 99% isopropyl with coffee filters.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can get most of it off with a dry paper towel. THEN use alcohol and a clean microfiber cloth or something that won't leave lint on the cpu.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Y’all weren’t waiting for the the 3080 20GB right?

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol :rip: cheap render/compute cards

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC just shipped from Amazon, should arrive Friday. The relief that washed over me is hard to describe

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, not voluntarily. :cheeky:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

do we think an evga 650W Platinum rated psu will be ok in holdover? i'm planning on making a new build and don't want to cable swap twice.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

For a normal 3080? Yes. For a 3090, or an EVGA FTW with the crazy higher power target VBIOS? Probably not.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No issues with my 3080 Gaming X Trio on a 650W EVGA PSU.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I had to RMA my 6 month old Seasonic Prime Platinum 750W supply because it would overprotect shutdown randomly after upgrading from a 1080Ti to a 3080. Still waiting to hear if it was a problem with the PSU or if 750W wasn't enough.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

do we think an evga 650W Platinum rated psu will be ok in holdover? i'm planning on making a new build and don't want to cable swap twice.
You'll probably want to look into custom Afterburner curves just because you can shave off a ridiculous amount of power draw for like a 3% performance hit anyway, too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://blog.xaymar.com/voicefx/

Someone wrapped NV Broadcasts noise removal engine into a VST plugin for audio/video editing software, might be handy for cleaning up crappy audio after the fact

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Got my weekly Scan email today informing me that my place in the queue has progressed from 92 to 88. That is a 100% increase over last time!
My dick is still not in my hand :dong::smith:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

xamphear posted:

I had to RMA my 6 month old Seasonic Prime Platinum 750W supply because it would overprotect shutdown randomly after upgrading from a 1080Ti to a 3080. Still waiting to hear if it was a problem with the PSU or if 750W wasn't enough.

750w should be enough for sure unless you're modding or flashing the card to pull like 450w+. Sounds like maybe the unit itself was defective.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

what the poo poo i got an email and made a purchase via the EVGA queue. I signed up for every card on like the 7th of this month. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth but seems odd.

edit: nvm checked mynotifies and i signed up for the xc3 ultra on 9/16 at 11:38 am

Oh man, I'm 11:55 on 9/16... wondering how close that is in terms of this versus next week? :raise:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

xamphear posted:

I run a 3090 FE using a Corsair SF750, even at the 400W power limit I haven’t any issues. That season I PSU is very good, probably just had a bad unit unfortunately.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cactus posted:

Got my weekly Scan email today informing me that my place in the queue has progressed from 92 to 88. That is a 100% increase over last time!
My dick is still not in my hand :dong::smith:

Now you get to wonder if they’ve only sold 6 of those cards in 2 weeks, or if they haven’t gotten any of those cards and 6 people ahead of you just dropped out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Knot My President! posted:

Oh man, I'm 11:55 on 9/16... wondering how close that is in terms of this versus next week? :raise:

Youre extremely close i think. Going by the spreadsheet, they are up to 11:48 on 9/16 for the XC3 Ultra. Of course, they need an actual delivery so who knows how long that might take...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

xamphear posted:

At least one goon here is running a 3080 on a 650W PSU.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Anyone have a link to the discord with the alert bot? I tried some of the old links and they seem to have expired.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

AirRaid posted:

At least one goon here is running a 3080 on a 650W PSU.

I am. No issues so far. I did also make sure to use two separate plugs vs. daisy-chaining, just in case.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

AirRaid posted:

To provide closure on this, I looked at ordering paste, which was going to cost me £7.

But then I said why bother with half measures, so now I have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 and a new case exhaust fan, totaling just over £85. :shepspends:
The cooler comes with paste though!

Turns out one of the fans on my Hyper 212 has a dodgy cable and wasn't spinning til I fiddled with it, too.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AirRaid posted:

To provide closure on this, I looked at ordering paste, which was going to cost me £7.

But then I said why bother with half measures, so now I have ordered a Noctua NH-D15 and a new case exhaust fan, totaling just over £85. :shepspends:
The cooler comes with paste though!

Turns out one of the fans on my Hyper 212 has a dodgy cable and wasn't spinning til I fiddled with it, too.

It's at least good paste and the Noctua NH-D15 is a monster in both size and cooling capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hmm, so I have an EVGA motherboard and EVGA GPU.

I don't see anything about the motherboard in Precision X1; is there a unified software that would monitor/control GPU, CPU, and case fans (assuming the case fans were plugged into the motherboard)?

I figure I'm looking at redoing all my case fans next month, potentially via a standalone PWM header. I figure it'd be nice if I could monitor/control all of it via software. My case has a header that I can plug fans into and control via a dial, but I think that's all molex.