Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This is basically true except for the individual dooders being nodes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I’m going to introduce a rogue linksys router and knock out comms for the entire division.

E: also DNS joke

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This looks like every proposed solution from every cloud backup service.
Everything falls apart when you try to restore 40TB over a 1Gbps connection.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This is a new one to me. I was turned down for a job and offered to interview for a higher position. I uh, what? If I'm not good enough for that job why would I be good enough for the higher position with more pay? We didn't even discuss salary requirements.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
You were probably over qualified for the first position

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

jaegerx posted:

This is a new one to me. I was turned down for a job and offered to interview for a higher position. I uh, what? If I'm not good enough for that job why would I be good enough for the higher position with more pay? We didn't even discuss salary requirements.

Overqualified? They were concerned that at the lower level, you’d be bored and jumping ship in 6 months for a better title and salary bump so they cut out the middle man?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

navyjack posted:

Overqualified? They were concerned that at the lower level, you’d be bored and jumping ship in 6 months for a better title and salary bump so they cut out the middle man?

That's the weird thing, it's in cybersecurity of which I have just some little experience. I'm not ready to take on a senior role in that poo poo. I explained that and said this is just cause I'm interested in that field now so didn't mind taking a lower job.

e: while i love money, i love my mental health more. My house is paid off and I live in San Antonio which has a low cost of living(For now, gently caress you californians) I don't mind doing a lower job if it's something new to me.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 2, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jaegerx posted:

That's the weird thing, it's in cybersecurity of which I have just some little experience. I'm not ready to take on a senior role in that poo poo. I explained that and said this is just cause I'm interested in that field now so didn't mind taking a lower job.

e: while i love money, i love my mental health more. My house is paid off and I live in San Antonio which has a low cost of living(For now, gently caress you californians) I don't mind doing a lower job if it's something new to me.

Dont worry about it. Unless youre specifically an engineer designing tools cybersec is a lot of reading documentation, scratching your chin, and nodding sagely. If youve done IT for a significant amouny of time it shouldnt be a big deal

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

give me the higher job

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Yeah agreed, just take the higher position. They might have a better idea of what they want that wasn't conveyed in the posting.
Also, see me; taking a helpdesk position at my current job just to get the gently caress out of my last job.
I got promoted every 8-12 months because they realized almost immediately that my skillset and capabilities were way beyond what they hired me for.
I'm sure it was an incredible pain in the rear end for them to constantly have to change my position or make up a new role for me to fill.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

It's one of Sickening's 20 jobs and he doesn't want you to rat him out.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It’s cheaper to promote than hire though. poo poo has me all hosed up.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s more valuable to have an outsider tell you the exact same thing as the staff have been saying for years.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Take the higher job.
I have a heartwarming tangentially related story from last week -
I'm hiring three tier 1 helpdesk. My current intern asked if he could interview for one of the T1 positions - he's on track for a degree in cyber security but has to do two more semesters because of a scheduling screwup. His two capstone classes are offered back to back fall/spring and one is a prerequisite for the other, so he has to do two semesters at one class each to finish.
I initially told him he couldn't have the FTE T1 job, as the minute he graduates he's severely underemployed and I'm either taking advantage of him or he leaves, neither of which I want for any of my people. I was going to recommend him to a local MSSP that I know to get his career started.
I had an idea, floated it past my paymasters, then brought it to him - I'd bring him on as T1 now, and if/when he graduates and has a degree, I bump his pay 50% and change his title to Junior Security Analyst, with the understanding that he still does T1, but also gets to do security stuff. He lit up like a Christmas tree, I'm covered and I get a new security guy to train properly, and this job only has like a three year lifespan anyway. Found a way for us all to win.
Sometimes we ask for jobs and we're overqualified - if you're offered a better thing in the same org, they see that in you, want to keep you, and get the value (and pay the pay) they know you're worth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The lower paying job will require more work and be more stressful. The higher paying job will have more more work and responsibility on paper but that is it.

I still hear about a security architect at one of my previous gigs who has still not produced a single measurable amount of work in the last 9 months. Not a single document, not a single project, nothing more than attending meetings.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

The lower paying job will require more work and be more stressful. The higher paying job will have more more work and responsibility on paper but that is it.

I still hear about a security architect at one of my previous gigs who has still not produced a single measurable amount of work in the last 9 months. Not a single document, not a single project, nothing more than attending meetings.

I've got a buddy who is a security architect with Clorox who started going and loving with the InTune guys and their implementations because stuff took so long to clear authorizations he had nothing to do and was bored to tiers. High level positions are a really well paid scam.

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 3, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

It’s more valuable to have an outsider tell you the exact same thing as the staff have been saying for years.

:hmmyes:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I have two big fuckups which probably have reduced my lifespan by a couple of days.

- First one, I was working with a small bank and at 2AM triggered an AV installation through SCCM. Worst practices possible in the world, using "All Desktops" collection. But hey, it's 2AM I can't be expected to be aware of what I'm doing, so I deployed to "All Systems". This AV included a firewall which blocked all servers in the datacenter. Next day people come in and start complaining about no e-mail, no printing, etc. I start troubleshooting and when it comes to me I get the worst adrenaline rush I've ever had. Had to be in the DC for hours uninstalling it manually from all servers cause it caused loss of remote access too. Fun times.

- Second one, I was migrating a central bank from Lotus Notes to Exchange (lmao, this project was amazing) with a solution called binarytree, which establishes a temporary middleware to make sure both solutions work at the same time. Problem is, when you migrate a mailbox you need to go and turn on a switch that says "Hey binarytree, start forwarding these e-mails" or else it goes inside the middleware and just falls into a void. So, this was the week after a bank had catastrophically failed in the country, everyone everywhere was panicking, investments were gone, and the central bank was in deep poo poo for regulatory misconduct. Guess which mailbox I forgot to turn on the switch for? press@centralbank.xyz. For an entire day they didn't get e-mails from press and there was no way to recover them. That was not a fun night, gently caress.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I could not imagine a non scripted binary tree workflow

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I could not imagine a non scripted binary tree workflow

Amateur poo poo - and in the hands of someone who had 2 years total work experience at the time! That's what you get when you have a poor country.

The more I see of the world the more I'm surprised things aren't just blowing up, everywhere, all the time.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's fine the computer that controls the nukes is running windows ME (and it's the most up to date government computer)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m just offended they call it a binary tree when I can’t imagine the application of that data structure to solving this problem?

Someone better than me at leetcode prove me wrong.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

All my code is run in nonbinary

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

It's fine the computer that controls the nukes is running windows ME (and it's the most up to date government computer)

Its more likely some form of unix and unfortunately or fortunately theres at least one military computer running win 8

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So was anyone else using Spoke as their ticket system?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

We have an older guy on helpdesk (mid 60’s?) who’s awesome. Good at his job, asks a lot of questions, plays in a rock n roll band, has cool bowling shirts. Gives like, maybe a tenth of a poo poo.

Anyway a ticket came in where a user was complaining that $Appserver was slow and unresponsive, helpdesk guy asked me what he should say. I was deep into a task and sort of offhandedly told him “oh that server is dogwater, the infrastructure team is working in it but it’s a hardware issue so there’s no eta unfortunately”

Didn’t think much of it until today when I was closing out old tickets and saw the following exchange:

Helpdesk Guy: I’ve been informed that the server is dogwater. We’re working on it, but no eta at the moment.

End User: Understandable, thank you.

Turns out that the helpdesk guy thought dogwater was a technical term and Im just elated at this exchange

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

App13 posted:

We have an older guy on helpdesk (mid 60’s?) who’s awesome. Good at his job, asks a lot of questions, plays in a rock n roll band, has cool bowling shirts. Gives like, maybe a tenth of a poo poo.

Anyway a ticket came in where a user was complaining that $Appserver was slow and unresponsive, helpdesk guy asked me what he should say. I was deep into a task and sort of offhandedly told him “oh that server is dogwater, the infrastructure team is working in it but it’s a hardware issue so there’s no eta unfortunately”

Didn’t think much of it until today when I was closing out old tickets and saw the following exchange:

Helpdesk Guy: I’ve been informed that the server is dogwater. We’re working on it, but no eta at the moment.

End User: Understandable, thank you.

Turns out that the helpdesk guy thought dogwater was a technical term and Im just elated at this exchange

Tbh it is very new to me as well and I had to google it to understand what the gently caress you are trying to say. Which is happening more and more as I age.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OP was trying to say dogshit without saying poo poo.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The more I work with log aggregation, the more I hate it. Splunk and Elastic are the devil and anyone who enjoys working in them is a masochist. I'll take a hosed up network over figuring an ingestion pipeline any day.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

The more I work with log aggregation, the more I hate it. Splunk and Elastic are the devil and anyone who enjoys working in them is a masochist. I'll take a hosed up network over figuring an ingestion pipeline any day.

Elastic is pretty fun to work with. Granted I usually just do the platform / cluster building and try to dump the ingestion responsibility on the teams.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sepist posted:

I have despised SEIMS the longer I have worked with them. I feel like the value they used to add are getting worse and worse every year and they are barely more than things that eat up budget and headcount without bringing real purpose.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I have despised SEIMS the longer I have worked with them. I feel like the value they used to add are getting worse and worse every year and they are barely more than things that eat up budget and headcount without bringing real purpose.

The only good one I've used is what we're moving to now - Azure Sentinel. It's a cloud native managed service with a shitload of integrations, automation, really cool threat hunting scans and tools, it's fantastic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only good one I've used is what we're moving to now - Azure Sentinel. It's a cloud native managed service with a shitload of integrations, automation, really cool threat hunting scans and tools, it's fantastic.

Sentinel is the best one I have used and I still have red hot opinions about it. The integrations are the best parts about it. The automations are also very modern compared to most SEIMS. Basically anything Microsoft is a breeze in sentinel compared to any other SEIM on the planet.

The issue I have with it is that the value it adds for the price. There is only so many specific threat hunting scans that I couldn't get out of the defender products that integrate to it. Even the automations have other ways to do the same things that don't involve sentinel. There is so much I get of an analytics workspace already , much less for it to also be sentinel on top of it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Y'all need Cribl

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Bought a UDM pro (yes I know) for testing a future project and it came with a broken HDD tray that is apparently not that uncommon and I can either buy the replacement part for 10 for $10 or ship the whole unit back according to some (though others report shipping just the tray). It also threw an error on first boot saying it was having trouble starting. Not off to a good start, QA team!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

The issue I have with it is that the value it adds for the price. There is only so many specific threat hunting scans that I couldn't get out of the defender products that integrate to it. Even the automations have other ways to do the same things that don't involve sentinel. There is so much I get of an analytics workspace already , much less for it to also be sentinel on top of it.

Oh absolutely. I've only recently started exploring the Sentinel playbooks and threat hunting features, since we're retiring qradar and moving the feeds to Sentinel. I've been using Log Analytics for years and all the stuff you can do there with KQL queries, multi workspaces, everything, is just fantastic. The current iteration of Azure Monitor is also amazing.

Mustache Ride posted:

Y'all need Cribl

That honestly sounds like a cryptocurrency

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

That honestly sounds like a cryptocurrency
Thought it was a parks and rec reference first tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

Sentinel is the best one I have used and I still have red hot opinions about it. The integrations are the best parts about it. The automations are also very modern compared to most SEIMS. Basically anything Microsoft is a breeze in sentinel compared to any other SEIM on the planet.

Thank you Sickening and Clam Down for this, it looks like it fits my use case exactly. With my infrastructure, I can check the "I have a SIEM" box for like $200/mo.