Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Bosch is entering the safer tablesaw market. Portable saw only at the moment, but I have great hope that they will either market the technology like SawStop sort of tried to, or that it will at least continue to introduce some competition and market demand in the braking saw market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDf2dpQVIY

Doesn't destroy the blade, either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Hypnolobster posted:

Bosch is entering the safer tablesaw market. Portable saw only at the moment, but I have great hope that they will either market the technology like SawStop sort of tried to, or that it will at least continue to introduce some competition and market demand in the braking saw market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDf2dpQVIY

Doesn't destroy the blade, either!

That looks really cool. I hope it's successful enough in this form to warrant at least a contractor if not a full cabinet version.

In any case it's gotta be safer (and easier to set up) than my old ShopSmith V.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
That's awesome they figured a way to do it without requiring a replaceable cartridge and it doesn't destroy the blade. Assuming it works along the same lines as a sawstop, wet lumber will trigger it, so that is a massive selling point for a jobsite saw where you'll certainly encounter wet lumber here or there.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cobalt60 posted:

This guy is new to me, just subscribed, thanks.

Seems like the kind of guy who shows you his shop over a couple beers and laughs any time you question his "gadgets." I just don't want to actually BE there when he turns that poo poo on.

Yeah he builds some really neat stuff. One of his current concepts that he seems to be working on it building basically a complete set of shop power tools that are all drill powered.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

bimmian posted:

That's awesome they figured a way to do it without requiring a replaceable cartridge and it doesn't destroy the blade. Assuming it works along the same lines as a sawstop, wet lumber will trigger it, so that is a massive selling point for a jobsite saw where you'll certainly encounter wet lumber here or there.

The press release says it does use a replaceable cartridge. You get two uses out of it though. Still it will probably be cheaper to replace one of those than having to replace both the cartridge and a potentially spendy blade like you do with a SawStop.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

The Dreamer posted:

The press release says it does use a replaceable cartridge. You get two uses out of it though. Still it will probably be cheaper to replace one of those than having to replace both the cartridge and a potentially spendy blade like you do with a SawStop.

Guess I should have read that after watching the video. I would hope they keep the price down on them.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Yeah he builds some really neat stuff. One of his current concepts that he seems to be working on it building basically a complete set of shop power tools that are all drill powered.

Sounds like all the cool of Matthias Wandel paired with all the stupid of Tim The Toolman Taylor.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Cobalt60 posted:

Sounds like all the cool of Matthias Wandel paired with all the stupid of Tim The Toolman Taylor.

If turning a solid wood bowling ball on a table saw is wrong, I don't wanna be right

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Squibbles posted:

If turning a solid wood bowling ball on a table saw is wrong, I don't wanna be right

:stonklol:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

I saw a video once of a guy "turning" a wooden bowl with a table saw by making repeated "plunge cuts" at slightly different angles until he'd cut out a sphere with radius equal to the sawblade radius. Kind of an ugly bowl, though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Bowling ball: https://youtu.be/hFf6FLXDQcU

Bowl: https://youtu.be/-EHRhh11rWs

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tablesaw bowls have been around decades, since at least the 60's if memory serves. Every once in awhile someone 'rediscovers' them and scares the poo poo out of everyone.

bimmian posted:

Guess I should have read that after watching the video. I would hope they keep the price down on them.

Think I read the MSRP is around $1400. They will sell these things like mad.

In other news, I ordered Swann Morton scalpel blades last fall. Same ones that David Barron and lots of others use in their marking knives. But I wanted to just change blades when they get dull, rather than epoxy them in place and resharpen. Basically I took a block of wood, cut a kerf in one end, screwed the blade in place, then filled the top and bottom kerfs with pieces of veneer to keep the blade from moving.

I tested it as a carving knife and it worked pretty well I guess. I don't actually know how to chip carve but it sliced poplar easily.

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.
Hesitant to post these since I'm fairly inexperienced. Recently I decided to jump into woodworking as a hobby to keep myself productive during the day. The bar tending schedule I'm on has a built in rut I've decided to climb out of. First major project, I helped a friend build a cat patio:

This portion sits down in a 6ft window well.

This portion sits on top:

The couple we built it for were extremely happy with the end result. The cats loved it too.

I ended up needing to acquire a miter saw to finish up the cat patio.This opened up the realm of possibilities and the first thing I wanted to try was a bench. This is the first thing I've made with zero guidance from anyone other than a photo of a similar bench on instagram. I used framing lumber, cedar fencing and reclaimed pallets. Total cost with paint was around $20. I'm really happy with how it turned out but would do it completely different if I had to do it over.

Next I will build a workbench to replace the bar table I've been using. It's not going to be anything fancy other than a lowered section for the miter saw and heavy duty casters. Then I'll be able to start rebuilding the benches at the bar with basic joinery in lieu of just screws. There are countless little projects I can't wait to get started on.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm building the box joint jig by Ed Stiles (on youtube) and here's what I got so far.

The basic function is working now, turn the handle and it advances 1.5mm, the cam makes sure one turn is always identical.

I still need to make a handle for pushing the sled, the runners, the front fence and also the front carriage plate to keep the pieces in place, and a stop ofcourse. Base is 12mm birch plywood and the rest is a combo of 18mm and 12mm plywood and some pieces of birch. I'll cut the threaded rod to size later too.

Hey, can you give me your thoughts on this jig. I download the plans a while back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I haven't yet used it, lack of time coupled with lack of sleep makes me not wanna do anything but sit inside after work, bleary eyed and trying to prevent toddler twins from ransacking the house....

I am missing some parts to complete it, namely the clamping setup. Other than that I've varnished the parts and it's ready for reassembly and use.

I'll probably use it with regular clamps to hold the work pieces to start with. Some of the things I am unsure about is the height of the rear board, it seems like the whole thing could have been made taller. This design I think might have issues with making deeper finger joints that you would need for thicker pieces like when making frames for cabinets. I think it's aimed more at making joints for boxes and such. But that problem should be fixable.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

The Dreamer posted:

1 thing I like about the SawStop is that the blade actually stops moving instantly. Yes, the cartridge is kaput, and the blade most likely as well, I am OK with buying a new blade for $80 in exchange for losing a finger and receiving a hospital bill. Though I should mention the 2 times I've seen a SawStop work the blade has been salvaged. My concern with the Bosch is the chance of that still spinning blade catching the piece and potentially throwing it back at you.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This might sound weird, but kickback isn't even remotely frightening if the blade isn't a factor in destroying my flesh.

Kickback might be scary, but pieces of significant size aren't going to kick hard enough to damage yourself, and small pieces that might get some good speed are just going to bounce and hurt.

It's kickback that moves a piece out of the way so fast that your hand pressure ends up letting hands touch the blade that's the real danger.

That said, I'd be thrilled with either system. I never minded the thought of buying a new blade and cartridge if I triggered a sawstop. Pretty low on my list of worries if it just saved a finger or three.

Accidental triggers from wet wood or finding metal are still possible though, and I might prefer the Bosch style with that in mind.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 19, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RagingTaco posted:

Hesitant to post these since I'm fairly inexperienced. Recently I decided to jump into woodworking as a hobby to keep myself productive during the day. The bar tending schedule I'm on has a built in rut I've decided to climb out of.

Welcome to the hobby, and nice first projects!

quote:

I'm really happy with how it turned out but would do it completely different if I had to do it over.

I think you'll find this is pretty much a constant no matter how skilled you are. :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Since I am not a cat, I'll only comment on the bench -- love the look!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

RagingTaco posted:

I ended up needing to acquire a miter saw to finish up the cat patio.This opened up the realm of possibilities and the first thing I wanted to try was a bench. This is the first thing I've made with zero guidance from anyone other than a photo of a similar bench on instagram. I used framing lumber, cedar fencing and reclaimed pallets. Total cost with paint was around $20. I'm really happy with how it turned out but would do it completely different if I had to do it over.

That came out well! I like the design.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hypnolobster posted:

This might sound weird, but kickback isn't even remotely frightening if the blade isn't a factor in destroying my flesh.

It sounds weird when you've seen a Unisaw kick an oak board across a room and puncture a wall.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've watched a full sheet of plywood get chucked by a 5hp cabinet saw, so yeah I guess it is pretty weird. I'm still more scared of the blade than flying wood.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Kickback might be scary, but pieces of significant size aren't going to kick hard enough to damage yourself, and small pieces that might get some good speed are just going to bounce and hurt.

It's kickback that moves a piece out of the way so fast that your hand pressure ends up letting hands touch the blade that's the real danger.

That said, I'd be thrilled with either system. I never minded the thought of buying a new blade and cartridge if I triggered a sawstop. Pretty low on my list of worries if it just saved a finger or three.

Accidental triggers from wet wood or finding metal are still possible though, and I might prefer the Bosch style with that in mind.

I see others have replied but please don't post bullshit opinions like this as if they were fact. Kickback is dangerous alone, and ALSO, separately, can be a reason that hands jam into the blade.

If you aren't sufficiently respectful of kickback power, you simply should be, preferably NOT by experiencing its full potential yourself. My 1940's Unisaw can throw a medium board through a garage door. My buddy's Oliver (5 or 10HP?) with a 16" blade can throw a full sheet through another full sheet and end anything in its path.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

A couple years ago I got hit in the kidney walking past a saw by a moron at work ripping 8/4 roughsawn on a tablesaw without jointing an edge first. It hurt, I didn't die. I got to go to the hospital to make sure I didn't have internal bleeding and I had a really cool bruise for a while. I didn't say anything about not respecting kickback or suggest anybody to do the same. My point is that cutting a finger off is far more frightening, and kickback without the potential for slipping into the blade as a result is comparatively way less frightening.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The people disagreeing with you are asserting that being bisected by a thrown sheet of plywood is significantly scarier than losing a finger, even if it's somewhat less likely.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stabbington posted:

The people disagreeing with you are asserting that being bisected by a thrown sheet of plywood is significantly scarier than losing a finger, even if it's somewhat less likely.

Especially since the saw blade is pretty much guaranteed to be in one exact place and not flying across a room.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Why is it that table saws are so critical but so incredibly dangerous. Surely a better design could be found?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

stabbington posted:

Sure, and they're insane. If you read a bunch of reports on tablesaw accidents, the vast majority is blade contact and not impact from kickback. Nobody is getting bisected by a full sheet of plywood.

A riving knife and even a little bit of caution is enough to prevent significant kickback. Getting tired/complacent is enough to get your hand into the blade, having a saw that won't cut you takes out all the risk that I'm personally more concerned with.

Anyway, I'm going to shut up about it.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 21, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

MickRaider posted:

Why is it that table saws are so critical but so incredibly dangerous. Surely a better design could be found?

Sliding table saws, auto feeders, or track saw.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

MickRaider posted:

You could ask this question about many tools, really. Or just common poo poo we do. Like cars, guns, boats, etc. We accept the risk because the convenience outweighs for most cases. And with proper training its fine.

EDIT: airframes should have parachutes imo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm thinking of giving away my smaller radial arm saw. I just have no room and I want it to go to a good home. It's a true DeWalt MMB with a brand new Freud negative hook blade. Convince me you will use it (responsibly) and it's yours. Oregon/WA area.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MickRaider posted:

They aren't actually. TS are dangerous but nothing compared to driving in traffic. A saw might cut off a few fingers worst case but a car accident can take your life or gently caress you up for life. I have friends who work around machines that can turn a limb to pulp in an instant. One of them got his foot smashed and couldn't walk for over a year. In the scheme of things, on a scale of 1 to 10, I think a TS barely rates a 4. I would rate driving in traffic 8 or above.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

wormil posted:

They aren't actually. TS are dangerous but nothing compared to driving in traffic. A saw might cut off a few fingers worst case but a car accident can take your life or gently caress you up for life. I have friends who work around machines that can turn a limb to pulp in an instant. One of them got his foot smashed and couldn't walk for over a year. In the scheme of things, on a scale of 1 to 10, I think a TS barely rates a 4. I would rate driving in traffic 8 or above.

Risk and severity are not the same thing. Although possible severity is high in a car crash risk is relatively low, whereas every time you use a table saw there is a spinning blade near your hands that will remove fingers in the blink of an eye. Technically lower severity but higher risk.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

MickRaider posted:

Laser saws imo

Well, that'd be more dangerous probably. But, self-cauterizing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Risk and severity are not the same thing. Although possible severity is high in a car crash risk is relatively low, whereas every time you use a table saw there is a spinning blade near your hands that will remove fingers in the blink of an eye. Technically lower severity but higher risk.

Put another way, there are vastly fewer injuries due to skydiving than there are due to driving...but on any given skydive, you're a lot more likely to be injured than you are on any given drive.

EDIT:

quote:

Laser saws imo

Well, that'd be more dangerous probably. But, self-cauterizing.

One of the big reasons why I prefer using a bandsaw for most of my cutting is that all of the cutting force is directed downwards instead of right back into my face. A hypothetical laser saw wouldn't have any cutting force whatsoever...it'd just blind you and set your house on fire :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Laser saws do exist, you know. They're awesome, but commercial ones will typically only cut sheet goods, and only up to relatively small thicknesses.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cakefool posted:

Correct, not the same but I disagree with your conclusion. The likelihood of a traffic accident is much higher than a tablesaw accident. And in traffic you could be involved in a serious accident through no fault of your own. Table saw accidents are user error. I doubt there are any statistic to prove it one way or the other so suffice to say that is my opinion.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Put another way, there are vastly fewer injuries due to skydiving than there are due to driving...but on any given skydive, you're a lot more likely to be injured than you are on any given drive.

As someone with multiple jumps, I'm not sure I agree. That skydiving is obviously dangerous provokes more safety awareness, preventative gear and technique; but is less forgiving than driving.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We probably shouldn't push analogies so far, if tablesaws were used as often as cars (hours per day by millions of barely trained people) they'd be outlawed due to the average member of the public only having 2 thumbs left :haw:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cakefool posted:

they'd be outlawed due to the average member of the public only having 2 thumbs left :haw:
Pretty sure that's the average already, or just slightly above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Significantly above, by most means of averaging. The modal average of #thumbs is 2, the mean will be somewhere around 1.999999 to some number of 9s, and the median is pretty likely to be 2 as well.

Any given human is almost certain to have more than the average number of thumbs, fingers, arms, legs, eyes, ears and noses.

Any given woodworking human, on the other hand...