Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

Martytoof posted:

There are/were two camera shops in my town that sold chemicals, and the big chain store (Henry's) doesn't stock any chemicals anymore (at least mine doesn't), but can order just about anything I want.

I actually prefer it over ordering from the internet. I'll support the small store if they have what I want or can order what I need. Otherwise I'll check the chain store, and if THEY can't order it, only then will I turn to the internet.

I'm not sure why I prefer this. Probably just an excuse to go to the camera store and geek out.

So basically I guess check your yellow pages or google for camera stores in your area. The less "chain", the better chance they have of stocking some chemicals.

Most of the stores I know are chain. I'm not hardcore into it like a lot of people so I'd just rather order online. Any suggestions where?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Freestyle or B&H if you're in the USA. If you're outside of the USA then I'm not really sure. I know there are some chemicals I can't find in Canada to save my life, so I guess I'd have to order those from Freestyle myself.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

QPZIL posted:

Any opinions on Fuji Reala? It's the cheapest decent 100 ISO film on Adorama, and I'm about to take a vacation where I need to stay on a budget :shobon:
I've used it, and been happy. But I have very low standards, and the colour weirdness on it is almost certainly the fault of my scanner (i.e. my poor scanning technique) rather than the film. But then, I tend to shoot mostly in bright sunlight outdoors, so that magenta cast that MrBlandAverage talked about could well be a problem.

I get my B&W chemicals from my local small-chain store (Don's Photo, I'm in Canada). I don't develop film nearly as often as I shoot it ('fridge is slowly filling with exposed rolls...) but so far I've been using Ilfosol, and I'm pretty happy with it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I started off with Ilfosol when I first ventured into development (because that's what Henry's stocked), and I can't say I was ever disappointed. I slowly migrated to HC-110 because of its legendary syrup longevity, as I didn't want to just up and find my Ilfosol was bad. That's actually the only reason, though I ended up staying with HC-110 because I never found any reason to try anything else.

Of course we'll put that to the test since my HC-110 is now like 2 1/2 years old and has been sitting in a room temperature laundry space :q:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Martytoof posted:

I started off with Ilfosol when I first ventured into development (because that's what Henry's stocked), and I can't say I was ever disappointed. I slowly migrated to HC-110 because of its legendary syrup longevity, as I didn't want to just up and find my Ilfosol was bad. That's actually the only reason, though I ended up staying with HC-110 because I never found any reason to try anything else.

Of course we'll put that to the test since my HC-110 is now like 2 1/2 years old and has been sitting in a room temperature laundry space :q:

Rodinal is magic and i'll probably not use anything else unless i've got a specific reason to like pushing/pulling more than 2 or 3 stops or other weird poo poo

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I don't think I was ever able to find that here, so it would have to have been shipped either way. I'd love to try it some day, though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

I slowly migrated to HC-110 because of its legendary syrup longevity, as I didn't want to just up and find my Ilfosol was bad. That's actually the only reason, though I ended up staying with HC-110 because I never found any reason to try anything else.

You might want to be careful of that. My 2-1/2-3 year-old-ish HC-110 syrup bottle just split all over my tub of developing stuff. It's got longevity but it's NOT immortal.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I have a roll of Fuji Pro 400H that I bought a while back. Am I correct in my understanding of it as a slightly less flexible Portra?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You might want to be careful of that. My 2-1/2-3 year-old-ish HC-110 syrup bottle just split all over my tub of developing stuff. It's got longevity but it's NOT immortal.

You mean the actual bottle itself? Yeah, I've got it in its own little tub for the time being. I'll check out whether I need to transfer it to a new container or not. One of the perks of working in a university lab is all the free chemical equipment you can imagine, so I'll have no problem relocating it if the bottle is a liability.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

aliencowboy posted:

I have a roll of Fuji Pro 400H that I bought a while back. Am I correct in my understanding of it as a slightly less flexible Portra?

I shot a couple 120 rolls of Fuji Pro 400H recently.

I shot it on an overcast and rainy day, so the slightly cooler palette suited the matter at hand well. That said, it seems to be quite a fair bit grainier than Portra and the colors and contrast aren't as neutral either. Compared to Kodak's Portra the colors are usually a bit more saturated and it seems to have a slightly steeper contrast curve. I do like the reds, oranges and the skin color it produces, I am less sure about the neutral colors though.

Tl;dr - I like to diversify away from exclusively using Portra and so far Pro 400H is one of the more compelling C41 alternatives to me. Just don't expect resolution miracles. Still, I liked it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just got 10 rolls of Kodak Ektachrome Panther 100, should I be storing it in a fridge? It says 13 degrees on the box but I live in Ireland and it's not exactly hot over here...

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Lots of grain, magenta tinge on overcast days. I bought a box as a Portra replacement and I was seriously disappointed.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

One of the perks of working in a university lab is all the free chemical equipment you can imagine, so I'll have no problem relocating it if the bottle is a liability.
Not to mention constant-temperature water baths, highly accurate thermometers, pH meters, magnetic stirrers...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just got 10 rolls of Kodak Ektachrome Panther 100, should I be storing it in a fridge? It says 13 degrees on the box but I live in Ireland and it's not exactly hot over here...
Film goes in the 'fridge. Or freezer, if you're not going to shoot it for a while (or it's infrared).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Not to mention constant-temperature water baths, highly accurate thermometers, pH meters, magnetic stirrers...

Very true. I just learned that there's a whole darkroom in the next lab over that's been unused for years now that is only good for light storage (no pun intended) because of the darkroom door.

The catch? It's in an X-ray lab so I can't get access to it. I guess it used to be used to develop film when they used it to capture … images? .. of some kind instead of digital detectors.

I almost wanted to cry :(

I mean they say it's just a big closet but still. Set up for water, light tight, vented with a proper fume hood.

So sad :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Film goes in the 'fridge. Or freezer, if you're not going to shoot it for a while (or it's infrared).

Great, thanks. If I'm sticking it in the freezer, should it be in some sort of box so it doesn't destroy the film?

\/\/\/Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 11, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Great, thanks. If I'm sticking it in the freezer, should it be in some sort of box so it doesn't destroy the film?

Just put it in a Ziploc freezer bag.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This might seem like a stupid question but is there a stills equivalent to the Fujifilm ETERNA Vivid stock? I've seen some stuff shot on it and it looks incredible in low light, was wondering what 35mm still stock would be the most similar?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Very true. I just learned that there's a whole darkroom in the next lab over that's been unused for years now that is only good for light storage (no pun intended) because of the darkroom door.

The catch? It's in an X-ray lab so I can't get access to it. I guess it used to be used to develop film when they used it to capture … images? .. of some kind instead of digital detectors.

I almost wanted to cry :(

I mean they say it's just a big closet but still. Set up for water, light tight, vented with a proper fume hood.

So sad :(
I've done radioactive work. It included developing gigantic film sheets (about 17"x22") in an automatic developer, in a dark room. These had been placed against big acrylamide gels containing radioisotope (I was using 32P, an isotope of phosphorus that emits high-energy beta particles, and has a half life of about 2 weeks). Bits of my gel that were highly radioactive, that is, the bits corresponding to the DNA I was working with, would expose the film. Kind of an initial-exposure analogue to contact printing. The room itself was considered a "hot room", which means 99% of the time it was totally fine, but every once in a while somebody would leave a microscopic drop of 32P somewhere and the weekly clean-check would find it.

Advice: get radioactive safety training, then get access to that darkroom. Tell your employer you want to expand your skillset, or you don't feel comfortable working around radioactives without the proper training, or something. The training should cost you nothing, and probably your boss only a token fee. Convince him / her that having more highly trained (in safety, no less!) technicians around is in his / her best interests.

Good luck.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shot my first roll of Portra 400, fumbled with scanning and processing it tonight.

img011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img004.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img001.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img005.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img009.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You need to decant the syrup into smaller bottles as soon as you open it. Personally i keep it in in wine bottles stopped with a cork. Coloured glass (like beer or port bottles) are the best.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mr. Despair posted:

Shot my first roll of Portra 400, fumbled with scanning and processing it tonight.

bring those whites up

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zorki 6 should be here today or Monday (hopefully, it was shipped from NY to Toronto on Monday). Just pulled the trigger on a $17 FED-2 off eBay as well. Wanted something with a near-silent film drive because I'm kind of sick of the Zzzzzzzip-click film advance lever on most cameras.

I'd like to think my camera buying is done with now. Z6 shipped with an Industar-50 so I might try to find a collapsible I-50 to replace it, or get something like a Jupiter-8 or whatever. I'm pretty happy with the 50mm range, not really looking for anything wider or narrower. Mostly because I don't want to use an accessory viewfinder :q:

My biggest fear now is that the eBay seller somehow managed to gently caress up the camera by testing the film speed dial without cocking the shutter first and absolutely destroyed the shutter mechanism. I've heard that the whole "change speed without shutter cocking will blow up your camera" is slightly alarmist and there's a *chance* that it *might* break your camera, but I'm worried regardless.

I kind of want to start a thread about Soviet cameras and poo poo just to keep this stuff out of the general film thread.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 13, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

bring those whites up

What makes you say that? Just curious (for the record I tried bringing the whites up some more and just didn't get anything that I liked, everything gets blown out if I boost it much more).

e. Tweaking the white balance now though, and upped the exposure a bit.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 13, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

What makes you say that? Just curious (for the record I tried bringing the whites up some more and just didn't get anything that I liked, everything gets blown out if I boost it much more).

I think he's referring to the fact that there's no true white in either of the pictures he quoted. Using the first one as an example, a quick look at the histogram backs that up:

Plenty going on in the midtones and shadows, but it's missing out on highlights. I had a quick go at boosting the highlights and fixing the white balance. I'm not trying to step on your toes creatively, just showing you what he's getting at (and I do agree with him).

I like the shots though, what were you shooting with?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

There's probably some detail left in the highlights but they're just too hard to see with the whites boosted that much. I like the original better.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I think he's referring to the fact that there's no true white in either of the pictures he quoted. Using the first one as an example, a quick look at the histogram backs that up:

Plenty going on in the midtones and shadows, but it's missing out on highlights. I had a quick go at boosting the highlights and fixing the white balance. I'm not trying to step on your toes creatively, just showing you what he's getting at (and I do agree with him).

I like the shots though, what were you shooting with?

These were the adjustments I made (forgot that the flickr links would break instead of updating gracefully).

Pentax ME Super with a 50/1.4, and Portra 400.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Shaocaholica posted:

There's probably some detail left in the highlights but they're just too hard to see with the whites boosted that much. I like the original better.

That's fair. Like I said, I'm not trying to tell him what to do or process his picture for him, I'm just trying to show the contrast that the other poster was referring to :)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Martytoof posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a $17 FED-2 off eBay as well. Wanted something with a near-silent film drive because I'm kind of sick of the Zzzzzzzip-click film advance lever on most cameras.

Looks like someone's never heard of the grind-wind :whatup:

quote:

[quote]I'm pretty happy with the 50mm range, not really looking for anything wider or narrower. Mostly because I don't want to use an accessory viewfinder :q:

You don't really need an accessory VF for 35mm on most cameras. Just imagine a bit beyond the edges of your viewfinder. And the Jupiter-12 is pretty nice if you get a decent copy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I inherited my grandfather's Canon FD system, including a Canon 35-105/3.5, a Canon 200/2.8 and an off-brand 24/2.8.
After running the first roll through it and developing it I noticed something that worries me a bit: There's hard vignetting on some of the pictures taken with the 35-105.

Did Canon really design lenses for a 35mm-only system that would vignette on 35mm frames?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Did you shoot it wide open? A lot of old lenses have some vignetting wide open.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The amazing technology of Canon T70 does not have an aperture priority mode, and the controls in full manual mode, along with the light meter indication, makes it extremely painful to use that way. So I actually have very little control of what aperture I use. (I can use one of three program modes, and then Tv mode.)

Anyway on a bit further examination, one of the cases seems to be when using the macro mode of the 35-105, which is perhaps somewhat understandable.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just ran a pack of color and b&w fuji packfilm through a modified polaroid land camera. The lens is a LF 127/4.5 which is very similar to the 180.

On the color prints, I got a soft edged blue hot spot dead center (not sure if its flare) on most of the shots. On the b&w I got a harder edged hot spot.

I am using a CPL to reduce light and I tested with it on and off to no affect. I also tested different apertures and some middle values seemed to be OK but it came back with smaller f-numbers (f/16+). Since I didn't have much film to test with I don't really know for sure.

I also loaded up a fresh pack of color and can't seem to repro either. The only thing I can think of is that the affected film was in my car all day where it was unbearably hot.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 15, 2012

Dr. Cool
Sep 24, 2009
Through an amazing coincidence, I got the following for free:
new gear by renburress, on Flickr

I can't wait to see the results.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I thoroughly dislike you.
Go shoot a ton of film through it now!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have been trying to unload a lung to finance that loving Contax. Argg! :mad:

(Seriously though, enjoy the gently caress out of it!)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Midnight, Open Space Preserve by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Acros owns. This was twelve minutes at f/8 one night after the full moon.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

Midnight, Open Space Preserve by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Acros owns. This was twelve minutes at f/8 one night after the full moon.

I really like this shot, I really like the texture on this hills on the left.. I've heard nothing but good things about Acros's reciprocity characteristics and I have an idea for a project that is going to involve long exposures so I may give it a try for that.

Anyway, I did some portraits this weekend. Some with Pan F and some with FP4+. I really like the results I got with FP4. After some reading it appears that FP4 is a little more sensitive to red and thus gives bright smooth skin tones. I could probably get the same effect with a red filter with Pan F, but the Pan F was super contrasty (I need a second light or a reflector to balance it out some if I want to try it again).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Can I do any better than $15 + shipping a pop for the reels with the nice big film guides on them? I wrestled with my non-guide one for the last time yesterday :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can I do any better than $15 + shipping a pop for the reels with the nice big film guides on them? I wrestled with my non-guide one for the last time yesterday :colbert:

http://freestylephoto.biz/55043-Arista-Premium-Plastic-Developing-Reel?cat_id=1603

9 bucks each + shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ebay? I got two of those reels plus a tank plus some expired film for $10.