Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Cynnik posted:

So all the inspector needs to loan an economic system some money and then the inspector gets back all of the money they loaned and everyone in the system is debt free?

So, say the government decides to stimulate the economy like the inspector unwittingly did. There I clearly no risk, and the government gets all the money back they used to stimulate the economy, and literally everyone is out of debt? Why is that bad again?

Now that the free government money is gone, everyone has to go back into debt buying pork products and having sex with prostitutes.

Someone should buy up all that hotel/prostitute/meat debt and present it as a foolproof AAA rated financial investment to everyone else in the country. It's the proper free-market solution, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Looks like my dad has been suckered by the propaganda :cry:. I like how bad the analogy of GPA redistribution = social programs is.

I just saw this in animated Ronald Reagan form today on Facebook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXQhs6kwYc

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Soviet Commubot posted:

I just saw this in animated Ronald Reagan form today on Facebook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXQhs6kwYc

Reagan, who raised taxes 11 times, is lecturing Obama, who lowered taxes and prevented an automatic expiration of tax breaks for the rich, on taxes.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

Reagan, who raised taxes 11 times, is lecturing Obama, who lowered taxes and prevented an automatic expiration of tax breaks for the rich, on taxes.

Obama raised taxes on cigarettes and tanning booths. So if you are John Boehner, your taxes did go up. :colbert:

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Someone just sent this to me, saying that as a Catholic, I should be very afraid.

quote:

DATE: January 20, 2012

mwalsh@usccb.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

U.S. BISHOPS VOW TO FIGHT HHS EDICT

Unconscionable to force citizens to buy contraceptives against their will

No change in limited exemption, only delay in enforcement

Matter of freedom of conscience, freedom of religion

WASHINGTON—The Catholic bishops of the United States called “literally unconscionable” a decision by the Obama Administration to continue to demand that sterilization, abortifacients and contraception be included in virtually all health plans. Today’s announcement means that this mandate and its very narrow exemption will not change at all; instead there will only be a delay in enforcement against some employers.
“In effect, the president is saying we have a year to figure out how to violate our consciences,” said Cardinal-designate Timothy M. Dolan, archbishop of New York and president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
The cardinal-designate continued, “To force American citizens to choose between violating their consciences and forgoing their healthcare is literally unconscionable. It is as much an attack on access to health care as on religious freedom. Historically this represents a challenge and a compromise of our religious liberty."
The HHS rule requires that sterilization and contraception – including controversial abortifacients – be included among “preventive services” coverage in almost every healthcare plan available to Americans. “The government should not force Americans to act as if pregnancy is a disease to be prevented at all costs,” added Cardinal-designate Dolan.
At issue, the U.S. bishops and other religious leaders insist, is the survival of a cornerstone constitutionally protected freedom that ensures respect for the conscience of Catholics and all other Americans.
“This is nothing less than a direct attack on religion and First Amendment rights,” said Franciscan Sister Jane Marie Klein, chairperson of the board at Franciscan Alliance, Inc., a system of 13 Catholic hospitals. “I have hundreds of employees who will be upset and confused by this edict. I cannot understand it at all.”
Daughter of Charity Sister Carol Keehan, president and chief executive officer of the Catholic Health Association of the United States, voiced disappointment with the decision. Catholic hospitals serve one out of six people who seek hospital care annually.
“This was a missed opportunity to be clear on appropriate conscience protection,” Sister Keehan said.
Cardinal-designate Dolan urged that the HHS mandate be overturned.
“The Obama administration has now drawn an unprecedented line in the sand,” he said. “The Catholic bishops are committed to working with our fellow Americans to reform the law and change this unjust regulation. We will continue to study all the implications of this troubling decision.”

First Amendment, heath care, Archbishop Timothy Dolan, Freedom of Conscience, U.S. bishops, United States Conference of Catholic bishops, President Obama, Sister Carol Keehan

# # # # #

12-012

SEC.DD.HealthCare,RadioRelig,CNS,RNS,Crux

That's right folks, Obama is gonna force you onto birth control.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yes, just like how legal divorce forced the Catholic Church to change its position on the matter.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Wait what? So having a healthcare plan cover contraception in case people want it = forcing everyone to get sterilized?

Also, what is this sterilization its talking about? Vasectomies?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

quote:

“I have hundreds of employees who will be upset and confused by this edict. I cannot understand it at all.”

"Y-you... you mean I have the option to get birth control if I want... at no cost, but I don't have to take advantage of it?! I'm... so confused, and upset" v:confused:v

I will never tire of Catholics being affronted with the very existence of things.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

The person is upset that the HHS is telling the Church what must be covered in the plans. He claims that it's a violation of the 1st amendment. I've tried telling that the mandate actually protects the employee's religious freedom, but he doesn't seem to care about that.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Is the Catholic church really still against contraception? I thought they weren't so dangerously rear end-backwards on most things these days.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chunk posted:

The person is upset that the HHS is telling the Church what must be covered in the plans. He claims that it's a violation of the 1st amendment. I've tried telling that the mandate actually protects the employee's religious freedom, but he doesn't seem to care about that.

Tell him that everyone has the right to burn the flag, that doesn't MAKE them burn it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
The same people would probably support the enforced sterilization on the poors...

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Is there a comparable Islamic practice w.r.t. health (or anything) that could be replaced in these horrid complaints about "government oppression" that would help make some catholics' heads explode?

"All women are supposed to wear a hijab, by being a Catholic who doesn't wear a hijab you are oppressing my Islamic religion!"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

zeroprime posted:

Is there a comparable Islamic practice w.r.t. health (or anything) that could be replaced in these horrid complaints about "government oppression" that would help make some catholics' heads explode?

"All women are supposed to wear a hijab, by being a Catholic who doesn't wear a hijab you are oppressing my Islamic religion!"

Well, it's more specific than this. They're upset that churches that provide their employees with health insurance will have to provide insurance that covers contraception, even if the church opposes it. They're not upset (at least vocally so) about other businesses being required to cover it.

The big thing though, is that it is silly. If no one on the plan uses contraception, then the church won't actually be paying for it, even if the plan technically covers it. And they are NOT being required to cover abortion; just contraception. And there are a number of reasons women use birth control pills, beyond just not having babies.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

quote:

If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.

Notorious Liberal group AFA.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Question, when is this free birth control thing required to start?

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Don't think I've seen this one posted, and it's been popping up all over Facebook

I felt the need to post this after seeing this exchange

"...
DouchgeBag McGee: yes, "community organizing" and brochure distribution of "higher intellectual" propaganda pamphlets is tough work in between hits bro...

Sane Person: From wikipedia "Obama worked as a civil rights attorney in Chicago and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. He served three terms representing the 13th District in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004." A lot more "work" than Mitt Romney or George Bush, put together.

DoucheBag McGee: wow, please don't ever source wikipedia and think for a second that ANYONE is taking that garbage seriously...

DouchgeBag McGee: source something like the Constitution for the breach of freedoms and liberties your false idol has imposed..."

woof...

KillerBean
May 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love living in an America where every argument needs to be propped up by a. The Constitution or b. The Bible

:allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The constitution clearly states that Obama is a Kenyan Muslim.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Tell him that everyone has the right to burn the flag, that doesn't MAKE them burn it.

But it enables that option. That's what they say.

Of course I tell them that the employer doesn't have the right to tell the employee how to spend their money, but that doesn't matter.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

Timothy M. Dolan posted:

In effect, the president is saying we have a year to figure out how to violate our consciences our view isn't the only conscionable view and other people have the right to not live by the tenets of our faith

Fixed that for ya, padre

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

babies havin rabies posted:

Is the Catholic church really still against contraception? I thought they weren't so dangerously rear end-backwards on most things these days.

That's what many Catholics like to believe while ignoring the whole "Pope telling Africans not to use condoms" thing.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

703 posted:

Don't think I've seen this one posted, and it's been popping up all over Facebook

"...
DouchgeBag McGee: yes, "community organizing" and brochure distribution of "higher intellectual" propaganda pamphlets is tough work in between hits bro...

Sane Person: From wikipedia "Obama worked as a civil rights attorney in Chicago and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. He served three terms representing the 13th District in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004." A lot more "work" than Mitt Romney or George Bush, put together.

DoucheBag McGee: wow, please don't ever source wikipedia and think for a second that ANYONE is taking that garbage seriously...

DouchgeBag McGee: source something like the Constitution for the breach of freedoms and liberties your false idol has imposed..."

woof...

My favorite part is how they say they'll average the grades "so no one will fail and no one will receive an A" yet, by the third test, they're all failing. It's almost like it's a poorly constructed argument!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Thenipwax posted:

That's what many Catholics like to believe while ignoring the whole "Pope telling Africans not to use condoms" thing.

The Catholic Church finally pardoned Galileo in 1992 for proposing Heliocentrism. That should tell you everything you need to know about "modern" Catholicism.

quote:

woof...

These people are aware that the Constitution has been modified since 1783 by Congress and the Supreme Court, right? The US Code is something like 22,000 pages, with hundreds more added every month. I'd love to see the modern libertarians in Lincoln's day arguing that he doesn't have the right to free the slaves according to the Constitution!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thenipwax posted:

The Church supports the social safety net and believes science is a thing that exists. Therefore it's basically a radical leftist institution by american political standards.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

red19fire posted:

The Catholic Church finally pardoned Galileo in 1992 for proposing Heliocentrism. That should tell you everything you need to know about "modern" Catholicism.

Oh, gently caress off. The Catholic Church has plenty of issues, their stance on science is not one of them. The Church has been very good about science since that entire debacle and puts a ton of money towards research.

If you're going to attack the modern Church do it from a reasonable stand point, not some dumb poo poo about Galileo

Cynnik
Nov 19, 2002

this seems all too familiar

703 posted:

"...

woof...

The whole ABCDF grade system is totally ridiculous when applied to things like wealth or prosperity, since an F comprises 50 percent of all possible grades.

Say this class has 100 students so a total of 10000 points will be given.

If you follow the current wealth distribution in the us http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

1 student will have 3460 points
9 students will have 3850 points to share, so 427.7 points on average
90 students will have 2690 points to share, so 29.8 points on average

so 10 students have more than they would ever need. 90 students have only a grade of 30. If you were to reasonably redistribute the grade points, you could say:

the number one student, works really hard. hard enough to be taking 4 classes at once. let's give them 400 points, so they don't have to enroll and take those other classes. this student benefits from the other students asking questions and discussing the class material, so let's give the surplus points back to the rest of the class. 3060 points back in the pool.

The 9 students, they too are hard workers. Let's give them 200 points each. 2050 back in the pool.

The other 90 students, with everything redistributed, now have an average of 89.6 points per person.

Look, no one starved failed!

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

ts12 posted:

If you're going to attack the modern Church do it from a reasonable stand point, not some dumb poo poo about Galileo

OK, how about the Pope telling Africans a few years ago that condoms don't decrease HIV infection rates, and can in fact make HIV more prevalent? That sounds pretty anti-science to me.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Defenestration posted:

Question, when is this free birth control thing required to start?

August 1st, 2012. But with the way PPACA works, it may only affect new plans that start after that date, not necessarily plans that already exist. So for most women it will be in effect on January 1st, 2013.

Also, while checking on that, I came across this lovely set of quotes:

quote:

"Many women who get pregnant are blasted out of their minds when they have sex, and they're not going to use birth control anyway," Fox News' Bill O'Reilly said, while political commentator Dana Perino, also speaking on Fox News, said that "if you can afford a $5 frappucino at Starbucks, you can pay your $5 co-pay."

Much like the tides, Bill O'Reilly is not aware of how birth control works. And I like how Dana Perino thinks all women's health insurance is as good as hers. "What do you mean not every woman makes over $100K a year like me?" :allears:

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Where is Dana getting the idea that all women drink $5 drinks from Starbucks?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cynnik posted:

The whole ABCDF grade system is totally ridiculous when applied to things like wealth or prosperity, since an F comprises 50 percent of all possible grades.

Say this class has 100 students so a total of 10000 points will be given.

If you follow the current wealth distribution in the us http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

1 student will have 3460 points
9 students will have 3850 points to share, so 427.7 points on average
90 students will have 2690 points to share, so 29.8 points on average

so 10 students have more than they would ever need. 90 students have only a grade of 30. If you were to reasonably redistribute the grade points, you could say:

the number one student, works really hard. hard enough to be taking 4 classes at once. let's give them 400 points, so they don't have to enroll and take those other classes. this student benefits from the other students asking questions and discussing the class material, so let's give the surplus points back to the rest of the class. 3060 points back in the pool.

The 9 students, they too are hard workers. Let's give them 200 points each. 2050 back in the pool.

The other 90 students, with everything redistributed, now have an average of 89.6 points per person.

Look, no one starved failed!

EDIT: nvm, hosed up the math. But it's still a pretty compelling way to explain wealth inequity.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Literally upset if people get good insurance. And gently caress you Bill.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thenipwax posted:

Where is Dana getting the idea that all women drink $5 drinks from Starbucks?

Her idea that everyones life is just like hers but they're lazier/whores.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

OK, how about the Pope telling Africans a few years ago that condoms don't decrease HIV infection rates, and can in fact make HIV more prevalent? That sounds pretty anti-science to me.

First off, he's wrong, but that's not what he said. He made some vague statement about how birth control will increase the rate of people having sex. That's not science related, it's bullshit sociology.

Secondly, it's not a stance that even much of the Church agrees with. You have cardinals like Godfried Danneels who have explicitly petitioned the Church to change its stance.
http://www.aids.net.au/us-catholic-20060421.htm

There's also things like the Winnipeg Statement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Statement)

It's certainly a contentious issue and the Church's position is wrong on it, but it's not quite as science related as what I'm talking about

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

ts12 posted:

First off, he's wrong, but that's not what he said.

HIV/Aids was, he argued, "a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which can even increase the problem".

Yeah, that's what he said. Also, isn't the Church a fairly strict heirarchy, and the Pope's comments would supercede statements made by a bishop or a cardinal?

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
The implication there is pretty obvious dude. It's stupid but it's the same argument anti-choice people use in the states. IF YOU TEACH THEM ABOUT SEX THEY'LL HAVE IT NONSTOP and all that.

The Catholic argument against birth control is a rather nebulous "it is the murder of innocent life" thing, not that birth control literally causes disease.

ts12
Jul 24, 2007
Missed the thing about the hierarchy. Church hierarchy is really weird in a lot of ways. The Pope is the final say on a lot of stuff, yes, but there is quite a bit of autonomy in the lower levels. One of the major issues with the birth control thing is that the previous statement on it (in 1968 or something) was one of Papal Infallibility, and it would probably cause a theological debate if a 2nd pope were to attack another pope's statement. I'm not positive about that, but I think it would

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

ts12 posted:

The Catholic argument against birth control is a rather nebulous "it is the murder of innocent life" thing, not that birth control literally causes disease.

So the Church would rather that adults contract HIV than to risk missing out on a single future Catholic. Isn't that precious. Seriously, consider the audience he was preaching to. Many Africans are completely ignorant about what causes and what spreads HIV/AIDS, and the Pope was clearly preying on their ignorance to push his agenda. It's sick.

You're Catholic, aren't you?

ts12
Jul 24, 2007

Thenipwax posted:

So the Church would rather that adults contract HIV than to risk missing out on a single future Catholic. Isn't that precious. Seriously, consider the audience he was preaching to. Many Africans are completely ignorant about what causes and what spreads HIV/AIDS, and the Pope was clearly preying on their ignorance to push his agenda. It's sick.

You're Catholic, aren't you?

No, and I'm not defending the stance so I don't know why you think I am. I'm just tired of poo poo D&D posters attacking things without basing their attacks in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am not aware of any "infallibility" statements from the Pope re birth control. I believe the last one was about Mary.

It is not a 100% fool proof classification anyway.