Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Like most of the good stuff from the seventies, it has been ruined by idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
Haha does Arthur start every episode topless?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Vain posted:

Haha does Arthur start every episode topless?

Yes.

And I am all in favour of him continuing to do so. Long Live Arthur, Shirtless King of Camelot!

And this episodes' Hot Bloke content is through the roof with the addition of James Callis as a scruffy-bearded thief.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The trouble with Life of Brian is that it has a serious pacing issue; there's about fifteen minutes in the middle (from Brian being throw in the dungeons to him falling onto the platform and giving his messianic speech) when all the momentum of the plot comes to a complete and total screeching halt while they do a few funny sketches and say "Biggus Dickus" a lot.

This is why I like Holy Grail better; it's not trying to adhere to any sort of narrative or filmic convention, so it can just deviate from the nominal plot to do a sketch as often as it likes. Life of Brian is telling a much more traditional story, and you can't just put that on hold for 15 minutes, even if you're doing it to tell the best series of dick jokes committed to film.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Meaning of life is terrible.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Meaning of Life is really an extended episode of the TV show that happens to have a vague theme to pull it together. It's funny, but probably not actually good in terms of being a film.

The Crimson Permanent Assurance short film before it, however, is brilliant.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You're terrible. :colbert:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress am I laughing so hard at TV Burp?
Should I be ashamed?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

AtomD posted:

Why the gently caress am I laughing so hard at TV Burp?
Should I be ashamed?

You should probably slit your wrists.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Flatscan posted:

You should probably slit your wrists.

I...
I can't help it. :(

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We've turned on Harry Hill now?
What the hell is going on with this thread?

We still like Stewart Lee, don't we?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tv burp is good silly fun

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Honestly I don't mind TV Burp, I was just being mean.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I genuinely detest Harry Hill as a performer. His one redeeming feature is having the good grace to be on ITV so I don't have to make a special effort to avoid him.

Stewart Lee is the best thing in British comedy, the only people who don't like him are Justin Lee Collins fans.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I saw Harry Hill an absolute age ago, live and he was really funny. Seems very at home on the stage. And he was supported by Alan Carr (this was before the Friday Night project and all that).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jesus Christ, Allan Carr. Allan bloody Carr. There is nothing about that man that does not make me want to set him on fire.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Jesus Christ, Allan Carr. Allan bloody Carr. There is nothing about that man that does not make me want to set him on fire.

if anything the grief it would cause justin lee collins makes setting him on fire a doubly good idea

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Sean Lock is the best thing in British comedy.

e: his sitcom was loving weird though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rapacity posted:

Sean Lock is the best thing in British comedy.

he is very good yeah. like him on panels, liked his standup and absolutely adore 15 Storeys High

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
the best british comedian is

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I got horribly turned off by Stewart Lee when I saw that ridiculous bit where he talks about Del Boy falling through the bar. Anything can be unfunny and banal if you talk about it in a stupid voice and only use words from Dick & Jane.

I mean, it's man. With a TV show. Funniest show ever. A man. With a show. Talking about things. Very slowly. That's a man, talking about things, very slowly. And then. He lies on the floor. A man, lying on the floor. He's lying on the floor in a comedy club. And it's the funniest show on TV. Talking. Slowly. On the floor. Microphone. Funniest. Jealous. Poor jealous bastard. People don't like him. But there's another funny thing. And they like that instead. Bastards. How can they possibly? When there's a man. Lying on the floor.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Trin Tragula posted:

I got horribly turned off by Stewart Lee when I saw that ridiculous bit where he talks about Del Boy falling through the bar. Anything can be unfunny and banal if you talk about it in a stupid voice and only use words from Dick & Jane.

I mean, it's man. With a TV show. Funniest show ever. A man. With a show. Talking about things. Very slowly. That's a man, talking about things, very slowly. And then. He lies on the floor. A man, lying on the floor. He's lying on the floor in a comedy club. And it's the funniest show on TV. Talking. Slowly. On the floor. Microphone. Funniest. Jealous. Poor jealous bastard. People don't like him. But there's another funny thing. And they like that instead. Bastards. How can they possibly? When there's a man. Lying on the floor.

It's the way he tells 'em

Also, I hope you've all been watching Planet Dinosaur because dinosaurs are awesome.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 23, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I think anyone who doesn't like TV Burp should give it more of a chance. I never used to like Harry Hill at all, and then one day it clicked and now I love it. He is the only mainstream comedian in British history who isn't poo poo. I think to enjoy him you have to get past any (understandably) prejudiced reaction to that sort of thing.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Speaking of comedy, Show & Tell on E4 is a good opportunity to see some comedians who don't usually get on to TV doing material that isn't just chunks of their routines.

Also if you don't cry laughing at the cat saws the audience brought in for one episode, you're dead inside.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
TV Burp is almost pure slapstick drivel, but it's astonishingly well put-together.

Anyway, I spent the past two days watching the old "Secret Life of Machines", which you can get from Tim Hunkin's website.
( http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/ )

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Trin Tragula posted:

No you just don't get Stewart Lee, man. You just don't get it.

*sips smoothie*
*posts on guardian x factor live blog 'ironically'*

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
TV Burp used to be really good, but the last year or so have been awful. I don't think I laughed once yesterday.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I preferred Harry Hill when he had that channel four show, with Al Murray playing his half brother, and Burt Kwouk for some reason.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

If you drop a bible from a height you can kill a field mouse, can't you. Hm? So maybe the bible isn't all good.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Oben posted:

TV Burp used to be really good, but the last year or so have been awful. I don't think I laughed once yesterday.

If you took out the giggling and 'funny' faces you could cut maybe 10 minutes.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Am I not allowed to like Stephen Fry? I quite like Stephen Fry...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

Am I not allowed to like Stephen Fry? I quite like Stephen Fry...

Yes you have the right to enjoy Stephen Fry, I think the clocks going back a hour soon is just putting everyone in this thread in a funny mood as we'll never see light for months.

Seriously, I too am enjoying the new Rab.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hoops posted:

I think anyone who doesn't like TV Burp should give it more of a chance. I never used to like Harry Hill at all, and then one day it clicked and now I love it. He is the only mainstream comedian in British history who isn't poo poo. I think to enjoy him you have to get past any (understandably) prejudiced reaction to that sort of thing.

Every time I've seen a clip TV Burp he's talking about Coronation Street, and I hate TV soaps and the people who watch them. Also that giggling gurning thing someone mention.

To me he is essentially an avatar of all that is wrong with British TV. Whether or not that is a fair assessment, and it is, that's my position.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Every time I've seen a clip TV Burp he's talking about Coronation Street. And I hate TV soaps and the people who watch them.

Now there is a stance I can agree one hundred percent with you.

Coronation Street, Eastenders and Hollyoaks are all terrible budget sucking depressing leeches that obsess idiots and prevent actual creative programs a chance to be made and aired.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I genuinely believe they are, in part, responsible for the decline in civil society in this country. They don't just pander to the lowest common denominator, they create it.

If people pick up Australian inflections from watching Neighbours and Home & Away then I think it's perfectly reasonable that watching the home-grown soaps would turn them into miserable, rude, shrieking twats. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 23, 2011

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If people pick up Australian inflections from watching Neighbours and Home & Away then I think it's perfectly reasonable that watching the home-grown soaps would turn them into miserable, rude, shrieking twats. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Genetically, soap watchers have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you or me!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Also, I hope you've all been watching Planet Dinosaur because dinosaurs are awesome.

Who could not watch it? It's a nicer looking Walking With Dinosaurs. There is nothing better than that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
This keyboard smells of hammers. I feel much more suggestable.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hollyoaks is so bad that it's actually amazing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

This keyboard smells of hammers. I feel much more suggestable.

Perhaps you need more crack. Burn down your mothers pub!