Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

david puddy posted:

I got a mispressing off eBay once, I emailed the label and they sent me a free good copy. So do that thing

Thanks for the tip! I tracked down an email for the label and sent them a message. They're shipping out a re-print.

And yeah, side 1 was the first 5 tracks from Beacon, side 2 was tracks 7 through 12 of Twelve Reasons. I'm guessing that because the record was blood-red, they must have had a mixup if they were printing both releases on the same machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

het posted:

It's signed by Neil Peart and next to the dedication to Ayn Rand he wrote "Whoops, my bad!"

OK that's awesome and I don't even like Rush.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CRINDY posted:

Thanks for the tip! I tracked down an email for the label and sent them a message. They're shipping out a re-print.

And yeah, side 1 was the first 5 tracks from Beacon, side 2 was tracks 7 through 12 of Twelve Reasons. I'm guessing that because the record was blood-red, they must have had a mixup if they were printing both releases on the same machine.
I think that's pretty awesome!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

eggsovereasy posted:

It's based of their sales data, but some wonky poo poo goes on. Like some copy of 2112 sold for $200 so it boosts the average value of my copy.

I guess it gets you in the ballpark though.

Yeah there's some crazy prices on the maximum end, but minimum shouldn't be too far off I guess. I was pretty happy to see that my average for 609 7"s so far is $8.50 going by the minimum, especially because I paid pennies for half of those.

It's also fun to see which are the most valuable records- looks like I'm going to be selling some old NYHC and a Man or Astroman record that I don't remember buying since I never liked them in the first place.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
http://store.coldspring.co.uk/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&product_id=4071

Coil/NIN unreleased remix EP recoiled in limited brown/black splatter. I know there are some coil fans on here - better act quick if you want this, it will not likely last the day. 44 shipped(ouch) to US

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

bowmore posted:

It's a 10" I don't know if that changes your mind.

Last night they had a limited edition version for these last two shows only in red, white and blue splatter. It's a full size LP. Picked one up because I figure I might want it someday, and it makes a nice souvenir.

Edit: We're talking about this record.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Chim posted:

Coil/NIN unreleased remix EP recoiled in limited brown/black splatter. I know there are some coil fans on here - better act quick if you want this, it will not likely last the day. 44 shipped(ouch) to US

I'm not a fan of vinyl coloration at all. Oh well. Just bought the black pressing of this. I hope that they weren't pressed from the mp3s on those NIN forums.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

This came on Friday and it is beautiful. Two pink LPs. Also note the handwritten letter from the merchant.

I haven't listened to it yet but it looks incredible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beergod posted:

This came on Friday and it is beautiful. Two pink LPs. Also note the handwritten letter from the merchant.

I haven't listened to it yet but it looks incredible.

gently caress you guys. I listened to that album for like an entire afternoon on Spotify and as soon as I decided to pick up the vinyl the pink/yellow had sold out.

No sense in getting the black- it would just remind me of my failure. :sigh:

What's it look like? :allears:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I got my customs charged copy of the Sky Ferreira record through yesterday, and MyPlayDirect put a value of $32 on it, which is why it got hit. So if you're in the UK, don't order from these guys as you're guaranteed a £11 charge on top. At £25 for the record delivered it was expensive enough, but unless you really want something from them you can't source locally, you're going to get screwed.

I've not opened it yet as I simply don't know what to do. I might just wait for it to go out of print (presuming it is in fact limited like it was stated) and see what it does to the price. Most copies over here are about £50 which would at least net me a profit, but it's not why I bought the damned thing in the first place.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress you guys. I listened to that album for like an entire afternoon on Spotify and as soon as I decided to pick up the vinyl the pink/yellow had sold out.

No sense in getting the black- it would just remind me of my failure. :sigh:

Ahahah I did the exact same thing. The black left overs were also 2 dollars more expensive, so yeah it would've just made me feel bad.

e: aaaaaaah dude NormanRecords has copies of the colored vinyl, go go go

ee: Also, HHV.de has copies up of both versions.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 19, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: aaaaaaah dude NormanRecords has copies of the colored vinyl, go go go

Thanks for the heads-up! You snnoze you lose, Bugaloo. :banjo:

P.S. HHV ships using Fedex priority so ouch.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ernie. posted:

P.S. HHV ships using Fedex priority so ouch.

Yeah, but 10 euro is still better than 24 dollar shipping I'd have paid from the official store.

All in, I'm cheaper off here by about 6 euros.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
They will be mine.

Oh yes. They will be.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, but 10 euro is still better than 24 dollar shipping I'd have paid from the official store.

Since I'm in Canada, Fedex priority would've cost me 24.99 Euros, actually, so lots worse.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I need record cleaning advice! One of my records seems to have got a bit of what looks like glue on it, somehow. I wiped it gently with a damp cloth to get the glue off, but the record is still skipping and crackling a lot. I really love this record, so any ways to salvage it would be much appreciated! I have a record cleaning brush kinda thing which has done sweet gently caress all to remedy the problem.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ernie. posted:

Since I'm in Canada, Fedex priority would've cost me 24.99 Euros, actually, so lots worse.

Well that blows.

At least I hope any Euro trash will benefit from my post. Like I did.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I wanna lick it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Eh, I'm over it. Def not gonna pay ~$40 after shipping.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

nomapple posted:

I need record cleaning advice! One of my records seems to have got a bit of what looks like glue on it, somehow. I wiped it gently with a damp cloth to get the glue off, but the record is still skipping and crackling a lot. I really love this record, so any ways to salvage it would be much appreciated! I have a record cleaning brush kinda thing which has done sweet gently caress all to remedy the problem.

Diluted isopropyl alcohol maybe?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best/most cost effective way to clean records in general anyway?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I have a Spin Clean that works pretty well, but I suspect you need to use some sort of vacuum system to really get the dirt and other poo poo out of the grooves.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
After a solid hour of damp cloth and crappy brush thing, the record is mostly fine other than some bad crackling right at the beginning. General cleaning tips still appreciated though.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

beergod posted:

I have a Spin Clean that works pretty well, but I suspect you need to use some sort of vacuum system to really get the dirt and other poo poo out of the grooves.

I recently got a Spin Clean as well, it works pretty well. There's a couple records I had to put through it twice, but they sound a lot better now.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Chim posted:

Sick! Can't wait for this to show up. Also you made my day after a really lovely time traveling.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

cheapandugly posted:

Sick! Can't wait for this to show up. Also you made my day after a really lovely time traveling.

cheers! btw - can't wait to get my cuushe LP in the mail. sold out on Norman records already too. easily one of my top albums of 2013.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
On cleaning I think the vacuum based ones are best, but I think the cheapest ones are like $150 and use your household vac. I have a friend who owns a record store that has a nice one so I just take a stack over there when I have enough. I just use a CF brush at home to de static and get off surface dirt.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
What do you guys use to catalogue your collection? Something that syncs with iOS devices would be the best.

Edit: nevermind, the correct answer to this is Discollector app combined with discogs.com.

beergod fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 20, 2014

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00EKGHC42/ref=tmm_vnl_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1390185121&sr=1-39

boards of canada campfire headphase for 10.85 shipped from amazon prime. still some left in stock. if you don't already own this, I suggest you buy it. a stone cold classic

Chim fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 20, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Okay, uh, kinda dumb question here.

Saw Anamanaguchi live last month, picked up their LP. Finally opened it up last night and the holes of the records are like, a hair's width too small for my turntable. Is there anything I can do about this?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Sockser posted:

Okay, uh, kinda dumb question here.

Saw Anamanaguchi live last month, picked up their LP. Finally opened it up last night and the holes of the records are like, a hair's width too small for my turntable. Is there anything I can do about this?

That's a weird problem, but you can just bore out the hole a little more with a knife or something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Okay, I have a circular file, I just wasn't sure if that was going to gently caress up anything. Good to know, then.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Sockser posted:

Okay, I have a circular file, I just wasn't sure if that was going to gently caress up anything. Good to know, then.

I get them pretty often where it's a bit too small, I just use a screw driver bit (like for a electric screwdriver) and bore it out a bit more. So, no need to worry.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

oh my god

http://dongiovannirecords.com/news/pure-moods-2xlp-for-record-store-day

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

There's actually tracks from the 1997 version that I'd be sad to be missing if I got this one. Makambo is loving fantastic.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Only 8000 copies guys, get on that quick

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I had to pause and remember if that's what I thought it was. Then I looked up the commercial and it all came rushing back to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJSjrox_2s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't know know what the gently caress anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
One of you bastards sell me ex military for non extortionist prices pls