Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Refurb Kindle Fire HD 8.9s are $179 today; there's probably not a better price:features ratio around, at least for a day.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFKCBQQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A new N7 patch is rolling now to address multitouch issues.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/22/new-nexus-7-receiving-update-to-jss15q-should-address-multitouch-issues/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Syrinxx posted:

Refurb Kindle Fire HD 8.9s are $179 today; there's probably not a better price:features ratio around, at least for a day.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFKCBQQ

I think I am going to hop on this. How is the HD8.9?
Also is there anyway to get the normal android app store on there?

E: uuugh I may be talking myself out of it because of no GMail or Hangouts. Even though comics, reading, video, general web will be my main use...I use gmail and hangouts soooo much.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 22, 2013

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
why would a refurb kindle for $180 be any better than a new nook HD+ for $150 (or less since they go on sale pretty often)

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Mest0r posted:

I woke up this morning to see my Nexus 7 (2013) in a reboot loop; I had to do a factory reset to get it to stop which sucked but I didn't lose anything important but that looked like it did the trick.

Anyone know what the deal is? The only thing that happened when I would unlock the tablet (before it would end up crashing) was that it would pop up that Google Play Music crashed.

I had this after fitting it in a case the magnet that woke the tablet up, when folded back on itself would make it go into a reboot loop.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jack_tripper posted:

why would a refurb kindle for $180 be any better than a new nook HD+ for $150 (or less since they go on sale pretty often)
Exactly. The 8.9 Nook and Kindle Fire have the same size, resolution, CPU and GPU. The Nook also comes with Google Play so you don't even have to root it/install ADB/do whatever to use Google services. And the Nook is cheaper. The only advantage the Kindle has is Amazon Instant Video.

e: I guess the Fire also has dual-band WiFi but the Nook has an SD slot.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I never knew the NOOK HD+ was such a good bang for your buck (or seems to be). I'm debating between an Nexus 10, a Nexus 7, and maybe now I'm adding this to the mix. Plus whatever Nexus 10-2 will presumably come out in Oct/Nov. Anyone want to convince me one way or another?

Only caveat is I do a lot of comic reading on my tablet so i would really like one of the bigger ones, unless someone thinks the N7 could get the job done significantly better than my old rear end original Kindle Fire.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I believe the Nook is actually 1920x1080 vs the Kindle's 1920x1200. Other downsides to the Nook that I'm aware of are it uses a proprietary charger and HDMI adaptor, but there may be alternatives now. Still, I'd probably go with the HD+ if I was doing the buying.

VV Ah gently caress I'm an idiot. That's actually better, assuming you don't mind the weird aspect ratio.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 22, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I believe the Nook is actually 1920x1080 vs the Kindle's 1920x1200.
We're both wrong. The Nook is 1920x1280.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does the new nexus 7 not support mhl? I tried using my mhl adapter which is currently working with my galaxy nexus. It didn't display anything. I googled and someone mentioned slimport support. Is that different from mhl?

Edit: USB host mode seems to work fine.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 22, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SlimPort does the same thing as MHL but it uses the DisplayPort standard. It doesn't require power like MHL. I'm assuming they switched because it's license/royalty free.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

SlimPort does the same thing as MHL but it uses the DisplayPort standard. It doesn't require power like MHL. I'm assuming they switched because it's license/royalty free.

SlimPort adapters are much more expensive, though. An MHL adapter was like a dollar, SlimPorts start at $30.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Cast No Engine posted:

I never knew the NOOK HD+ was such a good bang for your buck (or seems to be). I'm debating between an Nexus 10, a Nexus 7, and maybe now I'm adding this to the mix. Plus whatever Nexus 10-2 will presumably come out in Oct/Nov. Anyone want to convince me one way or another?

Only caveat is I do a lot of comic reading on my tablet so i would really like one of the bigger ones, unless someone thinks the N7 could get the job done significantly better than my old rear end original Kindle Fire.

I'm thinking about getting a nook HD+. I'm not stranger to rooting and installing roms, Is the current big rom everyone uses (CM I am guessing) worth a poo poo or is it buggy? While I love my OG nook color to death it's always had to battle with weird functionality on roms.

Also how does video play back? I have a lot of blurays I ripped to h264 720p for the htpc. Can the cpu on mxplayer or whatever handle that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well that sucks. I was hoping I'd get to use the one I already had. I guess I'll just pick one up someday.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

SlimPort adapters are much more expensive, though. An MHL adapter was like a dollar, SlimPorts start at $30.
How many SlimPort adapters are you going to need to buy? I think $30 is a decent price for not having to use a power adapter. I considered buying one but I already have a Chromecast, plus my TV supports Miracast and some other LG thing that you activate with NFC and I don't really need to connect my phone/tablet to TVs anywhere else. I'll probably end up buying one anyway because I have brain problems.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm thinking about getting a nook HD+. I'm not stranger to rooting and installing roms, Is the current big rom everyone uses (CM I am guessing) worth a poo poo or is it buggy? While I love my OG nook color to death it's always had to battle with weird functionality on roms.

Also how does video play back? I have a lot of blurays I ripped to h264 720p for the htpc. Can the cpu on mxplayer or whatever handle that?

CM for the Nook just got absorbed into the official release and it's just as good as it's supposed to be.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Sweet, I just did some reading on XDA (yuck) and looks like it fits the bill minus the lovely proprietary charging cord. That's really annoying. :(

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't know why B&N hasn't dropped the price of the Nook HDMI cables.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

I still don't know why B&N hasn't dropped the price of the Nook HDMI cables.

Probably because it's a company that's barely managing to get by and needs to grab profit anywhere they can get it?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I ended up finding a local seller that is willing to sell a like new 16gb version to me for 110. I guess I'll deal with the charger. Even with just a dual core its going to be a rocketship compared to my 800mhz single core nook color. :spergin:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

According to the Googler who posted about the update on the Google Product Forum, this update also fixes the GPS problem as well.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you left it plugged in overnight? The OG N7 didn't like to be completely discharged.

Like I said, I had it from September to April, I know to leave it charging. At one point I left it on the charger for two days and it still didn't charge. For some reason I thought it only had like a 90 day warranty. I'll have to give ASUS a call.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Anand of AnandTech reviewed the new Nexus 7. No surprises, really, but he gave it top marks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really can't get over how much I love the the new Nexus 7. I still use my Nexus 10 for reading magazines and watching videos and such, but the N7 is the go to for everything else now. The only nits I have to pick are the things he mentioned about the buttons being undefined plus I would have liked for them to have included haptic feedback. Other than that, perfect.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 23, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It actually freaked me out going back to my phone. I started typing and it was vibrating.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I really can't get over how much I love the the new Nexus 7.
Pretty much the same here. My old Nexus 7 had been mostly for games because it was terrible to read on. The new one is very nice for anything that doesn't need a big screen, which is most things. There's nothing else in the 7" space that even comes close. It is over three times as good as the very best $100 tablet so save your pennies instead of buying garbage.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Why is the 2012 n7 terrible for reading on? I have a 4th gen ipad and a 2012 n7 and I pick the n7 every time to read with. Mostly because of the size and weight but what makes it a terrible device to read on?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rotaryfun posted:

Why is the 2012 n7 terrible for reading on? I have a 4th gen ipad and a 2012 n7 and I pick the n7 every time to read with. Mostly because of the size and weight but what makes it a terrible device to read on?

The screen is lower resolution.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I get that. But I wouldn't go on to say it's terrible. Seems really really pedantic.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maybe "terrible" is a bit extreme but it bothered me enough to grab my Nexus 10 whenever I was going to read more than a couple of paragraphs.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Maybe "terrible" is a bit extreme but it bothered me enough to grab my Nexus 10 whenever I was going to read more than a couple of paragraphs.

Well yeah, the Nexus 10 had the highest PPI tablet display on the market until the new Nexus 7 came out. Pretty much nothing competed with it for reading.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As someone who owned a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Nexus 10, the Nexus 10 screen made the Nexus 7 unbearable. You ceased reaching for the right tablet for what you wanted to do and instead just kept reaching for the Nexus 10 and the higher DPI display.

It's all relative.

However, the 2013 Nexus 7 is better from more than just the display. I completely agree what they said in that review, it finally feels like a solid slate. Even though it's just a tiny bit lighter and thinner than the 2012 N7, the older tablet feels like a toy by comparison. The new N7 just feels like this perfect square of tech that you use every day unobtrusively.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

sethsez posted:

Well yeah, the Nexus 10 had the highest PPI tablet display on the market until the new Nexus 7 came out. Pretty much nothing competed with it for reading.

The is with the Nexus 10 is that it ran very poorly. PDF and Epub apps were jittery and hard to use. I wondered if the high-res display was too much for them.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish they'd hurry up and tell us when the 3G (or 4G, but I'm in the UK so 3G) version is coming. I can't wait to upgrade my N7 but I can't go back to a WiFi-only now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

As someone who owned a 2012 Nexus 7 and a Nexus 10, the Nexus 10 screen made the Nexus 7 unbearable. You ceased reaching for the right tablet for what you wanted to do and instead just kept reaching for the Nexus 10 and the higher DPI display.

Why did you own both? I was deciding between the 7 and 10 and got the 7 because it's newer and more portable. But why both? I've never understood the point of having two of the same kind of device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Why did you own both? I was deciding between the 7 and 10 and got the 7 because it's newer and more portable. But why both? I've never understood the point of having two of the same kind of device.
For me, my N7 lives next to my bed/computer and also goes on short journeys and is used as a GPS. My N10 lives downstairs in my living room and only leaves the house if I'm going away for a week and want something to watch movies on. They both get used for general web browsing in my house but it depends where I am as to which is more appropriate, the 10 is too big to use lying down for example.

I don't really see them as "two of the same kind of device" any more than a phone and tablet are the same kind of device.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
You guys are making me want to ditch my Nexus 10 and bluetooth keyboard and pick up a Nexus 7 and a netbook :/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

signalnoise posted:

You guys are making me want to ditch my Nexus 10 and bluetooth keyboard and pick up a Nexus 7 and a netbook :/

Come, make poor financial decisions with us. We know you want to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Mainly because I like toys.

Real answer, I like both form factors and I use them for different things. I originally had a Xoom and really liked it, but I jumped on the 2012 Nexus 7 when it came out because of the better screen and more portability. Well, the Nexus 7 got me to subscribe to some magazines because it was easier to read from than the Xoom.

Then the Nexus 10 came out and I started thinking about how much better those magazines would be to read on a high DPI larger display. Also, the Nexus 10 was so much lighter than the Xoom that it was doable to hold in portrait while reading them. I wouldn't have to zoom in like I did with the 2012 N7. I also wanted something better for watching Netflix and H+ on away from my TV around the house. So, I decided to take the pluge and get one. From then on out I almost stopped using the 2012 N7 because the N10 was so much faster and had such a better display.

But, it all came down to the 7" form factor and how much more portable it was and how much nicer it was to use for couch browsing. Since the N7 is so cheap, I really couldn't see a reason why not to get one when new one came out. So, it's my primary couch browsing device and normal reading device (when I'm not using my Nook simple touch). However, the N10 is still better for magazines and movies. So, I read the magazines on it and I use it on a stand as a portable way to watch Netflix and such around the house.

Up until this point I was caught in a situation where my 7" and 10" devices weren't in feature parity. That kind of ended with the 2013 N7 though, I view the N10 and it as more or less equals. So, don't really anticipate wanting the follow up to the N10 or looking as forward to the N7 refresh next year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

You guys are making me want to ... pick up a netbook :/
Please don't be this stupid.