Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It was a tight fit, to be sure, with me curled up pretty good, but it's a standard crib size, as far as I'm aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hooah posted:

Ugh. We must have waited too long to have an easy time with sleep training (she just turned 10 months). We did a trial run yesterday for night time, and she cried for two hours straight while my wife and I took turns sitting by her crib, occasionally picking her up to soothe her if she got really worked up. Today I was able to get her to nap twice in her crib by getting her close, then putting her down and climbing in with her. I couldn't get her to calm down at all for bed, though; I had to recall Mom from her shopping run.

Not every kid will sleep train. Do you need your kid to sleep train? I recall you posted trying to do this around 2 months or so and had posted that it didn't work. If all you want is your daughter to sleep, try holding her while bouncing on an exercise ball. This naturally puts your kid to sleep almost immediately - day or night, and can apply while using a carrier if needed. Some people go for a walk holding their kid, or try to basically do something active prior to naptimes or sleep times, etc. That along with a nighttime routine can make a difference.

Up until 17 months our daughter refused to nap without us cradling her or nursing, and would often wake when we put her down. After that, we put her down gently when she's asleep and all is well. Before that, it worked maybe...2-3 times out of 17 months.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

hooah posted:

Ugh. We must have waited too long to have an easy time with sleep training (she just turned 10 months). We did a trial run yesterday for night time, and she cried for two hours straight while my wife and I took turns sitting by her crib, occasionally picking her up to soothe her if she got really worked up. Today I was able to get her to nap twice in her crib by getting her close, then putting her down and climbing in with her. I couldn't get her to calm down at all for bed, though; I had to recall Mom from her shopping run.

Don't beat yourself up too much about timing. Kids are different and if you waited until now because you felt it wouldn't work, you probably weren't wrong. We've tried the putting her down "drowsy but awake" thing, which usually just results in "wide awake and pissed off" and another hour of calming her down again.
We had more success working with sleep cues at bedtime. It doesn't all need to be baths or songs or massages(!); we use a ton of little stuff like the curtains being closed, taking off our glasses, using a different kind of pacifier at night etc.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I had one of those "I don't want you to grow up" moments yesterday. I was getting something from the 3 year olds room, and saw a book on the floor called "A Slug that needs a hug". I don't want my little girl to grow up, I like the innocence of youth. I don't want her to go out into the nasty world. I'm old, jaded and cynical. She just wants to give a slug a hug.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Not every kid will sleep train. Do you need your kid to sleep train? I recall you posted trying to do this around 2 months or so and had posted that it didn't work. If all you want is your daughter to sleep, try holding her while bouncing on an exercise ball. This naturally puts your kid to sleep almost immediately - day or night, and can apply while using a carrier if needed. Some people go for a walk holding their kid, or try to basically do something active prior to naptimes or sleep times, etc. That along with a nighttime routine can make a difference.

Up until 17 months our daughter refused to nap without us cradling her or nursing, and would often wake when we put her down. After that, we put her down gently when she's asleep and all is well. Before that, it worked maybe...2-3 times out of 17 months.

We would like her to be able to sleep on her own for at least two reasons: we're getting tired of her in our bed (bedsharing started out of laziness), and when we go back to work, it would help a lot to be able to put her down for naps.

We've been using a nighttime routine for two or three months at least, now, although that's been a little out of whack lately since we just moved.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oodles posted:

I had one of those "I don't want you to grow up" moments yesterday. I was getting something from the 3 year olds room, and saw a book on the floor called "A Slug that needs a hug". I don't want my little girl to grow up, I like the innocence of youth. I don't want her to go out into the nasty world. I'm old, jaded and cynical. She just wants to give a slug a hug.

I have those all the time when my son is breathlessly telling me about his dream with the mouse in it, and do I remember that time we saw the green worm outside and how he's gonna turn into a tiger and fight a megalodon shark.

But then it's time for bed and he wants just one more book, oh and he's hungry, oh and can he have some water, and he doesn't want to go to school in the morning so he doesn't need to go to sleep yet, and then there's a huge tantrum and it's all so exhausting

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Bardeh posted:

But then it's time for bed and he wants just one more book, oh and he's hungry, oh and can he have some water, and he doesn't want to go to school in the morning so he doesn't need to go to sleep yet, and then there's a huge tantrum and it's all so exhausting

When my son started pre-school it was the opposite, he didn't want to sleep because he wanted to go to school NOW! I guess he had this idea that all the other kids were still there at night and he was the only one missing out. They will find any reason not to sleep.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

When my son started pre-school it was the opposite, he didn't want to sleep because he wanted to go to school NOW! I guess he had this idea that all the other kids were still there at night and he was the only one missing out. They will find any reason not to sleep.

Yeah, he loves school. It's just a reliable excuse for him to fall back on when he doesn't want to go to sleep (so every goddamn night)

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2016

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Sleeps and naps talk galore! Our little guy is 4 months old and we decided to try a routine to get him to sleep but still have questions.
Wife is reading the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book which suggests having them awake two hours, sleep two hours, awake two hours, sleep two hours etc and then I'm seeing another method, 2-3-4, of awake two hours, nap, awake 3 hours, nap, awake 4 hours, bedtime.
Wife and I are at odds with each other on what to do with our 4 month old and whats important. Right now we're trying to extend his naps from 45 mins to 1.5 hours'ish. Its all over the board still though if he'll wake after 45 mins or a full 1.5.

There seems to be no end of suggestions out on the interwebs about which method to use, but I come asking goons instead of random moms on babycenter.

Some of the questions we have:
-For a routine, does wake up time matter or a routine scheduled time for the naps. Say we elect to nap every two hours. Some days kid wakes up at 530am - other days 700am. We try to put him back to sleep at 530 to sleep longer but it doesn't always work. Does it matter if the actual time of the nap varies as long as he's tired? Ie: So some days his first nap will be at 730(wake up 530, 2 hours awake), other days his first nap is at 9am(7am wakeup), etc. OR does the time actually matter so trying to always get him to sleep at 9am, 12pm, 3pm, etc etc?

-Seem to be finding conflicting information on short naps vs. long naps also. Some say nap them more often with that awake time being only two hours - some say they dont get restful sleep at 30-45 mins and should be sleeping say 2-3 naps in a day only at 1.5-2 hours a piece.

-We're in a wind-down routine of rocking, lullaby music, and swaddling. He WAS being fed before sleeping but I'm trying to cut that out as it seems improper vs. feeding when he just wakes up(and seems to carry over to him being pleasant longer). Depending on the day, I can get him down with nothing or only a single 1oz. He hates pacifiers. I want to unswaddle him next for just rocking and lullaby music as his wind-down but the Moro reflex seems to kick in even when he's asleep with arms out stretched - will suddenly just slap his hands out again w/ the reflex and wake himself up. Is it just slowly ripping the bandaid off w/ swaddle?

-I know theres lots of prior convo on this and may be spergy but since the lactation nurses defined "latch" wrong throwing our whole breastfeeding game down the tubes we're on high alert for ":stare: define x." When people talk about the baby being awake vs asleep when they put the baby down, how literal is that? We want to move towards putting him down for sleep "awake." Considering the wind-down routine and swaddle he's never full awake/alert when put down. He'll baby be dozing off where he awakens when you're moving from rocker to stand, or putting him in the crib -- rarely fully asleep. Would that fall under awake, asleep, or neither? :)

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If your partner is nursing my advice is to let her choose the schedule until it is completely clear that mom or the baby is not coping with that routine, and then change as little as possible to get them to a routine that works.

I tried pick up/put down with a vague notion also. What worked for me was not "put down as soon as crying stops" but "put down as soon as you think crying won't immediately restart" (you will be wrong sometimes but that's okay). In other words soothe until the baby is soothed. I used a lot of crutches (holding shoulder, nuzzling in crib) but taking them away one by one has been fairly painless. Now it's been 3 or 4 weeks and most nights I have to cut my lullaby short...

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My advice would be to feed him when he's hungry, let him sleep when he's tired and play with him when he's awake. Trying to force a four month old into longer or shorter naptime than they want/need is going to be terrible for everyone involved.
There's no real arbitrary number of naps or length of naps that will work for every baby. Just have to figure out what your baby needs.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

My advice would be to feed him when he's hungry, let him sleep when he's tired and play with him when he's awake. Trying to force a four month old into longer or shorter naptime than they want/need is going to be terrible for everyone involved.
There's no real arbitrary number of naps or length of naps that will work for every baby. Just have to figure out what your baby needs.

I agree with this, with the caveat that, around that age, I'd try to encourage my kid to sleep an hour to two hours after he woke up last. If I didn't at least try, he would get overtired and miserable really fast. If he didn't fall asleep easily, I'd try again later.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

sheri posted:

This is what we do for our boy. He also sleeps through the night at 5 months so we're also incredibly lucky.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Oodles posted:

I had one of those "I don't want you to grow up" moments yesterday.

I actively disliked having a baby and I enjoy parenting more and more the older she gets, but even I felt my heart break a little when my then two-year old announced in a "duh, mum" voice that "Muuum, I'm not a Moomin anymore, I'm a Masterbuilder now!"

*sniffle*

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Sockmuppet posted:

I actively disliked having a baby and I enjoy parenting more and more the older she gets, but even I felt my heart break a little when my then two-year old announced in a "duh, mum" voice that "Muuum, I'm not a Moomin anymore, I'm a Masterbuilder now!"

*sniffle*

My sister-in-law said it was sad when her 5 year old hurt himself, and she offered to kiss it better but "mummy's kisses don't make it feel any better"

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Is there a word for a simultaneous sneeze and vomit?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I managed to get my child going from cowering in terror to gleefully clapping and saying "yaaaay" every time the lightning flashed and the thunder rumbles.

I am very proud of my successful modeling, even is just a small and silly thing.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My 5 year old has started wetting the bed pretty much every night. He's been dry for years and would have the occasional accident (maybe once a month) which was fine and we'd tell him that was fine and accidents happen but my god it is hard to keep that up when you're on your twentieth bed change in 3 weeks. I know there's absolutely no point being upset with him or telling him off but stripping beds and scrubbing mattresses in the middle of the night, or having a wriggly little monkey in bed is not conducive to a good nights sleep.

I don't know what's caused the change. It's the holidays so I am confident there hasn't been any traumatic event, but then maybe it might just be the change in routine. We're limiting drinks and making sure he goes to the toilet before he goes to sleep. We could start lifting him again but that doesn't feel very helpful in the long run.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
Don't know anything about fixing the actual betwetting, but a hand towel on top of something waterproof under the bed sheet at crotch height might save you the mattress scrubbing at least. Ikea has plastic lined mattress protectors that we use in case of diaper leaks. They come in packs of two so we just pull off the old sheets to wash in the morning and keep an extra set by the bed. Still a pain in the rear end, but less of one.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Public Serpent posted:

Don't know anything about fixing the actual betwetting, but a hand towel on top of something waterproof under the bed sheet at crotch height might save you the mattress scrubbing at least. Ikea has plastic lined mattress protectors that we use in case of diaper leaks. They come in packs of two so we just pull off the old sheets to wash in the morning and keep an extra set by the bed. Still a pain in the rear end, but less of one.

Good idea thanks :) We've got the other kind of mattress protector but in the cases where he's wet himself and then not noticed and carried on sleeping it leaks through so really all I end up with is more washing. I'll get a couple of the just plastic ones off amazon.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I had an unpleasant experience recently with my in-laws and my daughter, and I want to vent more than anything.

My mother-, sister-in-law, and my nephew were down over the weekend visiting and helping paint around the house. We hadn't seen them in a few months, and my mother-in-law wanted a belated 4th of July picture with the kids, since they are both less than a year old, this was their first Independence Day, and my in-laws are your typical gun-toting, Fox News-watching, rural conservatives who are very into freedom. :911:

We get the kids dressed up in their red, white and blue outfits, set up a little scene with an American flag in the background, and take some pictures. I went to the kitchen quickly to turn the timer off because I was cooking lunch, and when I came back, my mother-in-law had replaced the American flag with the Confederate flag. I asked very politely what this new backdrop was supposed to represent in relation to Independence Day and if she was aware of my thoughts on the meaning of that flag (the South thought slavery was essential to their economy, wanted to keep it in place and put it into the expanding Western states, so they tore our country apart). She laughed and said my father-in-law requested the picture because it represents States' rights to him, not slavery or the horrible Civil War in our country. (We live in Ohio, so it's not like we have a history with Confederate sympathy that would be informing his opinion.)

I quickly took my daughter out of the photo op and said that I didn't want her in front of that flag. This irritated my mother-in-law, but I didn't care. I talked about this with my wife afterwards, and she was upset by the flag as well, but didn't want to confront her mom or sister about it because they're the type of people that shut you out during confrontation and don't talk to you for days or weeks after.

Ultimately, I think the relationship is still going to be fine. They know that I do not agree with their political views. My concern is that while I didn't care much about what they thought before (mostly just laughed internally at it all), now I have a daughter to worry about being influenced by them. We don't see them a ton, so I guess it's not a huge deal, but it's still going to be a lot of future conversations I'll have to deal with explaining why daddy doesn't agree with what g-ma and pops think is the right way because they're very vocal about their opinions.

Nobody told me that parenting involved parenting other adults, too! :argh:

On a side note: I know that the Confederate flag is a hotly debated topic in our country, and a lot of people have many different views of it. I certainly don't want to start a debate in this thread about it - just wanted to vent. My father-in-law even sent me a link to this page to show me that most of America doesn't agree with me. :v:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Echoing the parenting other parents thing.

Not on the same lines as blatant racism, but we're staying with wife's parents for a while. Our 3 year old ate most of her dinner and we'd offered yoghurt and she said no. Mother-in-law piped up "we've got chocolate custard" to which my 3 year old picked up in a heartbeat "chocolate custard, chocolate custard, chocolate custard, etc". I looked at her and said, why would you say that. She doesn't want yoghurt so we're not going to give her something tastier. She's three, she understands everything. Don't say things you can't take back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo happens. We try to be such perfect role models nowadays for our children and to parent them in the optimal way. But you know, poo poo happens. We don't act perfectly ourselves, we may swear or loose our tempers or act inconsistently. The kids will survive though.

I found it a bit laughable when my SO and my parents heard Daniel say a swear word, then look at me in unison, ah ofcourse it's coarse old dad who needs his mouth washed out with soap. And in the time after that it's not like they haven't let swear words slip themselves! Not as easy as you think is it!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oodles posted:

Echoing the parenting other parents thing.

Not on the same lines as blatant racism, but we're staying with wife's parents for a while. Our 3 year old ate most of her dinner and we'd offered yoghurt and she said no. Mother-in-law piped up "we've got chocolate custard" to which my 3 year old picked up in a heartbeat "chocolate custard, chocolate custard, chocolate custard, etc". I looked at her and said, why would you say that. She doesn't want yoghurt so we're not going to give her something tastier. She's three, she understands everything. Don't say things you can't take back.

What's wrong with her having chocolate custard in this scenario? Why wouldn't you give her something tastier if she didn't want yoghurt? She was going to have dessert anyway, right?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Bardeh posted:

What's wrong with her having chocolate custard in this scenario? Why wouldn't you give her something tastier if she didn't want yoghurt? She was going to have dessert anyway, right?

We'd offered her yoghurt and she'd decided she didn't want it. Happy with that decision. End of dinner.

It wasn't a case of offering her something tasty because she didn't want yoghurt. Her choice was yoghurt or no yoghurt.

I just didn't appreciate her barrelling into our conversation about pudding with a choice that no kid in their right might would turn down.

But hey ho, it's all chocolate custard under the bridge now.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I found it a bit laughable when my SO and my parents heard Daniel say a swear word, then look at me in unison, ah ofcourse it's coarse old dad who needs his mouth washed out with soap. And in the time after that it's not like they haven't let swear words slip themselves! Not as easy as you think is it!

This is one of the advantages of using multiple languages. My wife and I each use a different language with our son, so it's pretty straightforward to know who he learned it from. No way they're pinning French swear words on me!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Can anyone recommend a good baby gate that will fit a somewhat oddly sized ~60" opening? The one I purchased off amazon was flimsy and had a really crummy gate mechanism. It's overwhelming to try to sort through all the crap on Amazon.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My 5 year old has started wetting the bed pretty much every night. He's been dry for years and would have the occasional accident (maybe once a month) which was fine and we'd tell him that was fine and accidents happen but my god it is hard to keep that up when you're on your twentieth bed change in 3 weeks. I know there's absolutely no point being upset with him or telling him off but stripping beds and scrubbing mattresses in the middle of the night, or having a wriggly little monkey in bed is not conducive to a good nights sleep.

We're going through the same thing right now. We keep an inflated air mattress (already made up) under his bed on a little roll out trundle. It was initially for sleepovers, but it's nice to be able to throw everything in the washer and not worry about remaking the bed in the middle of the night. He just moves to the bed he wasn't sleeping in (he prefers his "camp-out bed" to his actual bed most nights). I also make a point of keeping a waterproof cover under the mattress pad on all of our beds to protect from bed wetting, diaper blowouts, dog slobber etc.

Our doc suggested he might be over tired and not waking to pee, so we moved bedtime up by half an hour and put dimmers on all the lights and lamps in the house to better enforce a low light period after dinner, so he's not so wound up around bed time. We've had mixed results, and it's been hard to be consistent about it since most days I don't get home from the office until 7-ish and we lose out on a lot of play time together, but from what we've been told it's a luck-of-the draw issue and we shouldn't worry about stuff like bedwetting alarms until he's older.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

n8r posted:

Can anyone recommend a good baby gate that will fit a somewhat oddly sized ~60" opening? The one I purchased off amazon was flimsy and had a really crummy gate mechanism. It's overwhelming to try to sort through all the crap on Amazon.

What did you get on Amazon?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLXBJ92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Year and a half, any idea why he might just break out ibto major random seeming crying fits? Seems really unhappy, could happen any time even in the middle of playing, and usually passes quickly and then its back to happily playing.

Also woke up last night inconsolable for like half an hour and then right back to sleep.

Its weird for him

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I think that's called Toddler™

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Thats teething 100%. Start feeding him frozen veggies with meals and it'll help enough throughout the day to not disrupt at night as much. So frozen peas, corn, etc. Give them completely frozen. Or cut up bananas into rounds and give him frozen bananas.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 11, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Also, teething 100%. Start feeding him frozen veggies with meals and it'll help enough throughout the day to not disrupt at night as much. So frozen peas, corn, etc. Give them completely frozen. Or cut up bananas into rounds and give him frozen bananas.

He has all of his teeth except for the backmost molars, and I thought this was way too early for those? But yeah that could make sense... its never been quite this bad before though

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Every kid has different teeth that hurt when they come in and sensitive gums for a while.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ah. I got this Regalo (https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Extra...keywords=regalo) and it's great. The gate mechanism is rad (there are a few older Regalo's that suck with their mechanism for the wide gates... make sure you get one with the picture seen here) but it looks like it only goes to 58". Not sure if you can fudge those extra 2" or not.

Once installed it's got a tad bit of give, but it's actually very sturdy even if it feels almost too flexible.

bigfatdynamo
May 10, 2016

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.
I've had the Super Why theme song stuck in my head all day, this is a new level of purgatory.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Ah. I got this Regalo (https://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Extra...keywords=regalo) and it's great. The gate mechanism is rad (there are a few older Regalo's that suck with their mechanism for the wide gates... make sure you get one with the picture seen here) but it looks like it only goes to 58". Not sure if you can fudge those extra 2" or not.

Once installed it's got a tad bit of give, but it's actually very sturdy even if it feels almost too flexible.

I fudged an extra bit on my gate via 2x4s I screwed into the walls as bumpers. Worked fine, just have to plaster over the screw holes when you are done with it

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
My three and a half year old has really picked up the whining a lot as of late. I try to be patient, as I know she's still a kid, but holy gently caress is it annoying.

Any suggestions on how to help curb this at least a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

momtartin posted:

My three and a half year old has really picked up the whining a lot as of late. I try to be patient, as I know she's still a kid, but holy gently caress is it annoying.

Any suggestions on how to help curb this at least a little?

Let me know if you find one. My three and a half year old is a whining machine, and all my old distraction tactics don't work as well anymore :(