Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NikkolasKing posted:

I understand the meaning just fine. It is divine sanction that Aragorn rule and all things must accord with God's will. But something like this so much more mundane than the other things I mentioned and I guess maybe that's why it irritates me. A king and their family can rule a land for thousands of years and then if the right oaf with the right blood shows up, welp, time to pack it in, they deserve the throne more even if they've never lived here or been responsible for it.

I know some will chafe at the idea of any kind of king but even by the standards of monarchy this is stupid.
I think this was supposed to be more about the Stewards than about the hypothetical line of the king. The entire claim of the stewards was, pretty much, "we are keeping the seat warm for the king, if one should emerge," and then in later generations they had the rhetorical advantage of being able to say "You see? All we'd have to do is walk up a few steps and sit in this throne, nobody would stop us - but we don't."

What makes it more incoherent to me is that presumably over time "king" would begin to mean some kind of legendary quasi-divine figure and "steward" would mean "what we actually mean by king," but this is a problem partly explained by the longer Gondorian lifespans, and partly by not givin' a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NikkolasKing posted:

So it goes without saying LOTR and The Sil are profoundly Christian works. When this manifests in stuff like The Ring represents Sin or it was divine providence that destroyed the Ring or Eru knew all along Melkor would turn evil, I don't care much. These are big philosophical/theological questions I don't feel like discussing when it comes to a work of fiction.

No, what has always gotten me was this anecdote from Faramir in Two Towers:

'"'"And this I remember of Boromir as a boy, when we together learned the tale of our sires and the history of our city, that always it displeased him that his father was not king. ‘‘How many hundreds of years needs it to make a steward a king, if the king returns not?’’ he asked. ‘‘Few years, maybe, in other places of less royalty,’’ my father answered. ‘‘In Gondor ten thousand years would not suffice.’’'''

I understand the meaning just fine. It is divine sanction that Aragorn rule and all things must accord with God's will. But something like this so much more mundane than the other things I mentioned and I guess maybe that's why it irritates me. A king and their family can rule a land for thousands of years and then if the right oaf with the right blood shows up, welp, time to pack it in, they deserve the throne more even if they've never lived here or been responsible for it.

I know some will chafe at the idea of any kind of king but even by the standards of monarchy this is stupid.

That's Denethor being a snot, though. He's really into performative non-ostentation: look at the throne thing Nessus mentioned.

Note that when he finds out an actual Heir of Isildur is heading south it's a big part of his NO, MINE! gently caress THIS! BURN IT ALL DOWN! breakdown; he says as much to Gandalf. He's got no particular belief in the divine right of kings himself, it's just handy for "kings left us in charge so I'm in charge" and he's perfectly happy wielding the power of a king without actually having the title.

Aragorn has no internal political trouble taking over because Faramir's a devout Valarist and happy to hand over, but a different Steward could have made trouble on exactly the grounds you say.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

In addition to Aragorn's obvious personal qualities, I believe Faramir woke up to "Oh, this guy is the returned king," and as such, did not have much room to press his claims. He didn't exactly come out of it poorly.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The ten thousand years line is also pretty lol giving how kingship changed hands in numenor.maybe ol denethotr should have arranged a marriage between faramir and aragorn instead of going off the deep end.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nessus posted:

In addition to Aragorn's obvious personal qualities, I believe Faramir woke up to "Oh, this guy is the returned king," and as such, did not have much room to press his claims. He didn't exactly come out of it poorly.

Yeah, I was thinking "other Steward who hadn't nearly been incinerated by his dad and had to be called back to life by the True King so had a bit more room for political manoeuvring", but Faramir does give the impression he'd have been fine with the handover anyway.

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

The ten thousand years line is also pretty lol giving how kingship changed hands in numenor.maybe ol denethotr should have arranged a marriage between faramir and aragorn instead of going off the deep end.

:hai:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

.maybe ol denethotr should have arranged a marriage between faramir and aragorn instead of going off the deep end.

When they said "Men of the West" they meant men, damnit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That reminds me that one of the little things I enjoyed most about Bored of the Rings was that they took "Steward" literally and made the kid who stepped up and took over for the king a "scullery slave"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Still trying to figure out what all this has to do with Christianity though.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I would assume the connection between the possibility of buff gay gondorians laying hands on each other for healing purposes and Christianity is evident. Its a Jesus metaphor.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

This guy gets it:

The Toast posted:

Denethor the Steward of Gondor told Gandalf he wouldn’t bow to Aragorn, “last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.” (Denethor may have been Middle-earth’s Worst Dad Ever, but he had a point there: Aragorn came from royal stock, but the only thing his family had administered for a thousand years was a forlorn wilderness full of ruins, wolves, and trolls that talked like Victorian gutter urchins.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Still trying to figure out what all this has to do with Christianity though.

Divine Right of Kings, so Christianity-as-a-method-of-social-control shut up peasants God wants things this way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Legendarium is very much focused on the idea of a Divine Plan and everything happening according to Eru's will. Some things just don't make logical sense - like sending one Hobbit to do the impossible (as per Tolkien himself, no one could have willingly thrown the Ring into Mt. Doom) but you have faith and do them anyway.

It's why Saruman has always been my favorite villain. Greed and envy were always there but he only truly fell when he used the Palantir. Despair at the hopeless situation and task before them helped drive him to evil. Saruman has a mind of devices and reason and book-learning and in all scenarios based on those things, Sauron is invincible. There is no force in Middle-earth that can defeat him. And so Saruman came up with a new plan, a perfectly sensible plan. If Sauron's forces are unrivaled, and there is no way that any creature present could destroy the One Ring (as no creature is immune to Sin), it is better to take up the Ring and master it. Sauron's power would be broken and his menace finally put to an end. Very logical. I pity Saruman a lot, especially in some of the alternative ideas like when he was afraid of the Nazgul and went to confess everything to the captured Gandalf but Gandalf had already escaped so Saruman's pride and fear mastered him, just like it did when he was defeated and offered clemency.

But anyway, I read it all as "God's will transcends even the minds of the Vala." He had dictated such and such would be so, and so it will be so. This bloodline is the rightful ruler, this Hobbit will destroy the Ring.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 12, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Technically, the Ring destroys itself, fulfilling Eru's prophecy that the works of the enemy will turn on themselves and redound to the greater glory of Eru.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Normies will criticize LotR for its dialogue but in actual fact its dialogue owns hard. Go back to your Ken Follet novels lol

quote:

‘But I say to thee, Gandalf Mithrandir, I will not be thy tool! I am Steward of the House of Anárion. I will not step down to be the dotard chamberlain of an upstart. Even were his claim proved to me, still he comes but of the line of Isildur. I will not bow to such a one, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity.’

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

His mad monologue at the pyre is one of the things I really really wanted to see properly done word for word in the movie.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Data Graham posted:

His mad monologue at the pyre is one of the things I really really wanted to see properly done word for word in the movie.

I had some complaints about Rob Inglis's audiobooks but I did enjoy his rendition of that scene.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Denethor was done so badly in the movies. He's an intimidating figure in the books who can stand toe to toe with Gandalf or anyone and hold his own intellectually but in the movies he comes off as a dumb oaf. That scene of him eating the tomatoes grossly is so bad. Sean Bean's Boromir was good though and Faramir was fine other than beating the poo poo out of Gollum but that was a Peter Jackson choice not an actor one so it can be forgiven.

I dunno if Denethor's actor could have portrayed book Denethor though in fairness to him he never got the chance to try.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course it could always have been more like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrhvrK6CvMU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Don't Kings generally have a steward or chief advisor? It's not as if Denethor was going to be exiled. His day to day duties and position in the kingdom probably would have stayed mostly the same under a king.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sunday at work posted:

Don't Kings generally have a steward or chief advisor? It's not as if Denethor was going to be exiled. His day to day duties and position in the kingdom probably would have stayed mostly the same under a king.

Well, in fairness to him, he was also driven crazy by using a Palantir and opening his mind to an evil demigod.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sunday at work posted:

Obviously they do, that's why the ruler of Gondor is called a steward. the first was literally the steward of the king. but as quoted above Denethor felt that in resuming that post he would be "the dotard chamberlain of an upstart." He didn't want to be an advisor, he wanted to rule, the thing he'd spent his whole life doing.

quote:

'I would have things as they were in all the days of my life,' answered Denethor, 'and in the days of my longfathers before me: to be the Lord of this City in peace, and leave my chair to a son after me, who would be his own master and no wizard’s pupil. But if doom denies this to me, then I will have naught: neither life diminished, nor love halved, nor honour abated.'

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Denethors reaction to Gandalf was extremely human and believable to me. The book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sunday at work posted:

Yeah, but he would now specifically be #2, and probably for some guy who (in his opinion) was his social inferior and who wouldn't know poo poo about dick. While Aragorn might have won him over to some extent he would have had the bitter memories of when he was in charge; he would likely feel like he did all this work and now some assholes from up North swung down and did the last little bit and his thanks is: Have a demotion.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

Denethors reaction to Gandalf was extremely human and believable to me. The book.

Yeah it’s really good. He’s only just become convinced when we meet him that his nation and family are completely doomed and in comes this loving wizard telling him “I can save your nation and family with my incredibly complex scheme but you’re gonna have to get out of the way. By the way I already started my scheme, not asking your permission or anything, just a heads up”. It’s an incredible leap of faith Gandalf is asking him to make and he can’t do it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It makes a bit more sense (tho the version we have makes sense ) when you consider the original plan was that there really wasn’t a connection between Aragorn (or a claim ) and Gondor and he was just yoloing for the crown.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
FWIW I think John Noble’s performance as Denethor in ROTK is great as far as what he was being asked to do by Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sunday at work posted:

Kings generally have a steward or chief advisor, but despite Denethor being CALLED steward, he is not actually that guy. He is functionally the king, and some other guy is HIS chief advisor. That other guy is also probably a better candidate for Aragorn's chief advisor, because that other guy is the guy who has actually been doing that thing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I think a key thing with Denethor is that he was completely honest in the flashback - he was not King, and his line was only standing in for the King. As long, that is, as the Return of The King was something that might happen in the long-off future and probably wouldn't be until he was long dead. It was only when he was faced with the reality of it that his devotion to the idea buckled. That this came at the point of his greatest despair does not help.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Forgot to post my new LOTR paperbacks I bought yesterday. Somewhere along the way my old set got lost and all I had was the 50th anniversary single volume.

I really like the looks of these.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mahoning posted:

Forgot to post my new LOTR paperbacks I bought yesterday. Somewhere along the way my old set got lost and all I had was the 50th anniversary single volume.

I really like the looks of these.

As time goes on, I like Tolkien's drawing style more and more...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really love the 2nd edition Alan Lee covers to be honest.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

As time goes on, I like Tolkien's drawing style more and more...

Same. It feels sorta like you gave a medieval illustrator a brief course in Renaissance techniques like perspective.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anyone has had a relative turn into a crazy by consuming conservative news/social media understands Denethor's character.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Anyone has had a relative turn into a crazy by consuming conservative news/social media understands Denethor's character.

In the end he's basically a CSPAM doomposter:

"Why do the fools fly? Better to die sooner than late. For die we must."

"Soon all shall be burned. The West has failed. It shall all go up in a great fire, and all shall be ended. Ash! Ash and smoke blown away on the wind! "

"Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool. For thy hope is but ignorance. Go then and labour in healing! Go forth and fight! Vanity. For a little space you may triumph on the field, for a day. But against the Power that now arises there is no victory. [...] The West has failed."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

In the end he's basically a CSPAM doomposter:

"Why do the fools fly? Better to die sooner than late. For die we must."

"Soon all shall be burned. The West has failed. It shall all go up in a great fire, and all shall be ended. Ash! Ash and smoke blown away on the wind! "

"Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool. For thy hope is but ignorance. Go then and labour in healing! Go forth and fight! Vanity. For a little space you may triumph on the field, for a day. But against the Power that now arises there is no victory. [...] The West has failed."

lmao

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ugh, yes.
And "The Ring symbolises atomic weapons" is a good anachronistic theory, but the best is "the palantir symbolises social media."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think there's even a semi-shady social media data mining company unironically called Palantir :laugh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sarumans “voice” is clearly radio and other mass media which was used by despots like FDR and Hitler to great effect

Facebook is in the same line

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tree Bucket posted:

Ugh, yes.
And "The Ring symbolises atomic weapons" is a good anachronistic theory, but the best is "the palantir symbolises social media."

I'm thinking of how the majority of people in America who watch the evening news think crime is skyrocketing when it has been on the decline for decades, and how they can't be convinced otherwise no matter what. The palantir showed the truth but it only showed the bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

webmeister posted:

I think there's even a semi-shady social media data mining company unironically called Palantir :laugh:

I remember when Trump was either very close to being president, or shortly after he was elected, seeing a news article about him meeting with the CEO of a private defense contractor called Palantir. I laughed out loud at it, and then had to explain to my coworkers why it was funny.