Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I think the size thing primarily comes down to what you're using it for and if you have any additional computing devices.

I just ordered an 11 inch iPad Pro. Replacing a couple year old 9.7 one. I've got a 13 inch MacBook Pro for bigger computery things and the iPad Pro will be a secondary device/what I take to work. No need for the bigger size considering my laptop and what I'm using it for.

Also my last iPad was LTE and now I can never go back. Never realized how nice it would be to never worry about wifi outside of the home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The 80 dollars off a regular iPad at Best Buy seems like a good deal.

My mother needs to upgrade from an iPad 3.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what’s the procedure to wipe an iPad 2 (not a typo) without it affecting my other devices and cloud stuff

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

So what’s the procedure to wipe an iPad 2 (not a typo) without it affecting my other devices and cloud stuff

Just go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. You may need to sign out of iCloud first. You definitely want to turn off 'find my iPad'.

It shouldn't impact any of your other devices and you'll only lose data that's only on the iPad. I just reset my old iPad 2 so that I could donate it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Calaveron posted:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
My airpods keep disconnecting and reconnecting on my Ipad. Anyone have any idea on how I can fix this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
About to replace my Air with a 2018 iPad + Pencil.

Staples has the gold 128 for $40 off and Apple has it in the refurb store for $60 off. Normally I’d always go for the refurb, but the fact that it’s “only” a $20 difference is giving me a slight pause.

Am I being a doofus?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Staples has the gold 128 for $40 off and Apple has it in the refurb store for $60 off. Normally I’d always go for the refurb, but the fact that it’s “only” a $20 difference is giving me a slight pause.

Am I being a doofus?

I would still go for the refurb if it’s the same hard drive space cause dealing with Apple for refunds/exchanges is probably a much better experience, and cause refurb units are essentially new.

iPad Pro question: can I charge it from the same USB-C 60W charger that came with my MacBook Pro? Google says yes, but I thought I’d ask here too.

Edit: I just noticed that some of my iMessages didn’t sync to this new iPad. It’s just the most recent ones. I have iMessage in the Cloud enabled and have force quit the messages app and restart my phone. Tried turning off iMessage and turning it back on and it still wont download the newest messages. On my iPhone they show up as iMessages/blue bubbles, and they appear on my other iPad as well. This happened to me in the past and the only way I found to fix it was to completely set up the device as a new device, without the “bring your iPhone close to this iPad” setup. Is there a way to fix this issue without doing that?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 27, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

iPad Pro question: can I charge it from the same USB-C 60W charger that came with my MacBook Pro? Google says yes, but I thought I’d ask here too.

Yes. I use my 85w to charge the new 12.9" Pro all the time with no issues. The client device is what determines power draw, not the transformer you use. The iPad won't draw at a rate that would damage the battery. However, it does charge faster than the transformer that came with it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I’m using the charger that came w/ my 15” MacBook Pro on my 12.9” iPad. It charges wicked fast.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I occasionally have a thing where it'll show the lightning bolt as if it's charging but won't ever go up. Power cycling fixes it. THis is using both a stock Pixelbook charger as well as a knockoff pixelbook charger. It's either 45W or 65W or something like that, I forget which.

2018 Ipad Pro 11"

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I’ve got a real dumb question

I have an iPhone and a Samsung S9+ that I switch between because I’m a crazy person. Do we know if I take pictures on my S9+, then plug my phone into a 2018 iPad Pro (since they’re both USB-C), would the iPad recognize the S9+ as a mass storage device and allow me to import the photos/videos directly to the iPad?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Hello goons. I was fortunate enough to receive a 11 inch iPad Pro this past holiday, and am now looking to get some accessories for it. As I am a big dumb baby when it comes to tech I figured I would ask here before buying anything.

I’m a grad student, and the main thing I will be using it for is to read and annotate PDFs in. What is the best Apple Pencil knockoff that I can get if I don’t want to shell out for the real thing? Ditto for keyboards.

Also, what’s the recommended software for reading PDFs on an iPad? I keep all of my stuff on google cloud (school pays for unlimited storage). Ideally I would like to be able to read and annotate a pdf on my iPad and then have it seamlessly save back to google. Any recommendations for this?

Thanks iGoons

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
There isn't a knockoff pencil. If you're doing markup just bite the bullet and get it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

themrguy posted:

Hello goons. I was fortunate enough to receive a 11 inch iPad Pro this past holiday, and am now looking to get some accessories for it. As I am a big dumb baby when it comes to tech I figured I would ask here before buying anything.

I’m a grad student, and the main thing I will be using it for is to read and annotate PDFs in. What is the best Apple Pencil knockoff that I can get if I don’t want to shell out for the real thing? Ditto for keyboards.

Also, what’s the recommended software for reading PDFs on an iPad? I keep all of my stuff on google cloud (school pays for unlimited storage). Ideally I would like to be able to read and annotate a pdf on my iPad and then have it seamlessly save back to google. Any recommendations for this?

Thanks iGoons

Most PDF apps are “cloud aware”. Personally I like and use PDF Expert. Like a lot. I just checked and it definitely support Google Drive.

Personally, I’d re-think about the Pencil, it is unbelievably. good for annotation, diagraming and handwritten notes. Another great feature is that when it’s actively touching the screen, the digitizer won’t accept my big beefy paws as input adding spurious marks. Most of the other “active” style styluses are poo poo (either BT or those battery powered pencil point ones). For unpowered, I’ve always used Adonit Pro or Adonit Mini.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Ok thanks. Is there any difference between the second and first gen pencils? Is the newer one appreciably better?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

themrguy posted:

Ok thanks. Is there any difference between the second and first gen pencils? Is the newer one appreciably better?

First gen won't work with the 11 inch and vice versa.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The simple fact that it charges by sticking to the side of the new Pros makes the new pencil a million times better.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Are things from redeemed warranties ever new? Or always refurbished?

My 2017 iPad Pro smart keyboard was working progressively less and less over the past couple of months (to the point it basically stopped working entirely), but I found out I’m within warranty so I ordered a replacement keyboard from the Apple store. I had to go on a trip and couldn’t pick it up immediately though, and now...the ‘broken’ one has started working completely and utterly faultlessly. Like, I’ve been actively trying to get it to play up, but it refuses to not register itself perfectly. Whereas before it felt like I could hold it at an angle that’s off by half a degree and it would mess up, and for the last week before I ordered the replacement literally wouldn’t register at all.

So now I’m not sure whether I should go pick up that replacement or just stick with what I have. I was sure it must have been a hardware problem, but unless I rejiggled a wire or something by mistake I’m guessing maybe there’s nothing wrong with the one I have after all? My warranty runs out in a month though so if this one acts up again in a way that doesn’t magically fix itself then I’m gonna be sorry though. Do you guys think I should just replace it to be safe? I don’t really wanna go all the way out to the Apple Store if it’s really not necessary though, and since my current one...seems to be working, I’d also rather not risk getting a dud refurbished when I won’t be able to replace it after a month.

What would motivate me though is if I end up getting a brand new one as a replacement instead. Since the 2017 keyboards aren’t sold anymore, think there’s a significant chance of that as they offload the old stock? Gonna guess not but was wondering if anyone else has experience with redeeming the warranties.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Smart Keyboard died, but I think I'm out of warranty. I can't find the receipt for it (I think I got it at a Best Buy and didn't get the email receipt because of an rear end in a top hat worker there).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

My Smart Keyboard died, but I think I'm out of warranty. I can't find the receipt for it (I think I got it at a Best Buy and didn't get the email receipt because of an rear end in a top hat worker there).

If it’s for the 9.7” or 12.9” there’s a 3 year warranty program for certain failures.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Am I being a doofus?

B&H has them for $359 + no tax in some states as well. They’ve been floating on sale for $330 occasionally too.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 28, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

If it’s for the 9.7” or 12.9” there’s a 3 year warranty program for certain failures.
It just tells me it doesn't recognize the device or something. I'll have to check this out though. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

B&H has them for $359 + no tax in some states as well. They’ve been floating on sale for $330 occasionally too.

They’re $379 here and there’s tax in CT or MA (the two places I’d be, I’m in CT visiting the fam ATM) but the total comes out to $10 more than a refurb from Apple (including tax) and I get free same afternoon delivery from B&H instead of having to wait until the 3rd so cheers for that.

Edit: scratch that, I get delivery on the 31st. Still way better than waiting until the 3rd

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 28, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

Check your PMs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
People that draw on their iPads, is it worth going from a 10.5 pro and pencil 1 to a new pro and a pencil 2? Any of you go from a 10.5 to a 12.9 and recommend it? Anyone go from a 10.5 to an 11 and notice enough of a change to justify it?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Endless Mike posted:

You might check with the Apple Store anyways; there's an extended repair program on the old smart keyboards. https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/08/apple-smart-keyboard-ipad-pro-repair-program-sticking-keys-functional-issues/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rolo posted:

People that draw on their iPads, is it worth going from a 10.5 pro and pencil 1 to a new pro and a pencil 2? Any of you go from a 10.5 to a 12.9 and recommend it? Anyone go from a 10.5 to an 11 and notice enough of a change to justify it?

No. Maybe. No.

Between this bending bullshit and the cost of the new ones I'd say stick with your Gen2 unless you need more storage or something.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Bought an 11-inch iPad Pro on launch day, loved everything about it, but quickly noticed an issue that I think might be more widespread than it is but not known as much because it only shows up if you're a "type a lot in portrait orientation" user.

I have keyboard haptics and sounds on. I type fast and well with my thumbs. But I quickly noticed that the t key in particular, but also the keys right around it, don't reliably enter when typed. What's weird is, the haptic fires, the sound is made, and the goddamned key turns grey on the keyboard, but it does not actually get entered into whatever text field I'm in.

Happens like 40-50% of the time, which is infuriating.

So I opened a ticket with Apple on this; they suggested a wipe and set up as new, which is annoying, but sure, tried it. Problem persisted. Took it in to the fruit stand and showed the guy the issue and he said "yeah, that's not normal". What's weird here is that when he opened Settings to look at something, the screen jittered like somebody was scrolling it down even though nobody was touching it. This seems to have convinced him further that it was broken somehow, but honestly I did not see that ever happen before to me on that iPad nor on its replacement.

He swapped it out right away, even though I was out of the 14 day return window, which I appreciated. However, my replacement iPad has the exact same goddamned problem. T's, B's, G's and Y's, in that order, tend to just not enter tons of times.

I'm going nuts because googling doesn't show anybody else having this issue, and the idea that I somehow got the only two iPads that have this bug is crazy-making. I don't think it's a screen defect per se because it will also happen if I turn orientation lock off and use it in portrait with the camera on the bottom and the keyboard therefore on the other side of the screen.

Has ANYBODY ELSE had this issue?!?!?! I'm going to take it back in to the fruit stand next week (huge pain in the rear end, but don't really have a choice, I'm not keeping a thousand-dollar tablet with this issue) but I can't believe this isn't wider-spread.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just sold my broken screen (but functional) iPad on eBay. I'm pretty sure I disabled iCloud correctly, but is there another way to do so? I've already wiped it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

No. Maybe. No.

Between this bending bullshit and the cost of the new ones I'd say stick with your Gen2 unless you need more storage or something.

Works for me, I definitely don’t need the space.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

smr posted:

Bought an 11-inch iPad Pro on launch day, loved everything about it, but quickly noticed an issue that I think might be more widespread than it is but not known as much because it only shows up if you're a "type a lot in portrait orientation" user.

I have keyboard haptics and sounds on. I type fast and well with my thumbs. But I quickly noticed that the t key in particular, but also the keys right around it, don't reliably enter when typed. What's weird is, the haptic fires, the sound is made, and the goddamned key turns grey on the keyboard, but it does not actually get entered into whatever text field I'm in.

So I opened a ticket with Apple on this; they suggested a wipe and set up as new, which is annoying, but sure, tried it. Problem persisted. Took it in to the fruit stand and showed the guy the issue and he said "yeah, that's not normal". What's weird here is that when he opened Settings to look at something, the screen jittered like somebody was scrolling it down even though nobody was touching it. This seems to have convinced him further that it was broken somehow, but honestly I did not see that ever happen before to me on that iPad nor on its replacement.

He swapped it out right away, even though I was out of the 14 day return window, which I appreciated. However, my replacement iPad has the exact same goddamned problem. T's, B's, G's and Y's, in that order, tend to just not enter tons of times.

I'm going nuts because googling doesn't show anybody else having this issue, and the idea that I somehow got the only two iPads that have this bug is crazy-making. I don't think it's a screen defect per se because it will also happen if I turn orientation lock off and use it in portrait with the camera on the bottom and the keyboard therefore on the other side of the screen.

Has ANYBODY ELSE had this issue?!?!?! I'm going to take it back in to the fruit stand next week (huge pain in the rear end, but don't really have a choice, I'm not keeping a thousand-dollar tablet with this issue) but I can't believe this isn't wider-spread.

With my old iPhone 6 I had the selfie camera unsticking issue and they replaced the screen assembly. And then that selfie camera also came unstuck so they replaced it a second time. Both free both within the same year.

It’s a first generation product.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Just sold my broken screen (but functional) iPad on eBay. I'm pretty sure I disabled iCloud correctly, but is there another way to do so? I've already wiped it.

If you wiped it, as in full factory reset, find my iPad would be disabled and iCloud nuked in the process. You can go into iCloud and remove your old device from the list of devices if it makes you feel better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you wiped it, as in full factory reset, find my iPad would be disabled and iCloud nuked in the process. You can go into iCloud and remove your old device from the list of devices if it makes you feel better.

Thanks, bought myself some more time as something was fishy about the address of the buyer so I googled it and it turns out it is the infamous 600 Markley Port Reading, NJ. Reply-all even did an episode on it (https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/99-black-hole-new-jersey). Cancelled and relisted.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

smr posted:

I notice that sometimes a letter doesn't go when I think it should but I've attributed it to sloppy typing and not being used to the iPad keyboard yet. How the hell did you turn on haptic feedback though? I didn't think it was an option on iOS?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Just replaced my 3 1/2 year old Air 2 with an 11-inch pro, its actually so fantastic. Didn’t realise how much I would love the higher screen refresh rate

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

No. Maybe. No.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that apparently the new iPad has a “bending controversy” where if you try real hard to fold the iPad like a taco it may actually fold like a taco.

lol what a stupid world

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Oh yeah, I just remembered that apparently the new iPad has a “bending controversy” where if you try real hard to fold the iPad like a taco it may actually fold like a taco.

lol what a stupid world

Apparently there is an issue with some of the iPads coming bent slightly out of the box as a result of the cooling process. More common with the LTE ones.

Mines all good though!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

FCKGW posted:

lol what a stupid world

They're coming pre bent out of the box.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Haha that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rolo posted:

I'm still on my old 12.9 and first gen Pencil but I can't picture using a smaller iPad because my main art app is Clip Studio Paint, which has a full menuriffic interface like Photoshop. Procreate and Sketchbook do a great job of getting the gently caress out of your way so you can just draw and I can see that being fine on a smaller iPad, but I simply can't give up how loving good CSP is in comparison, so I'm going to upgrade to the current 12.9 and 2nd gen Pencil this coming year.