Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

How dare you defend Fallout 3, why don't you write an essay about how Little Lamplight would make New Vegas better!
He had actual good arguments though instead of "buhbuhbluh caesar trusts you to do this thing even though you ruined all his admittedly minor things :saddowns:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So how does Broken Steel work? I keep hearing it "adds" an alternate ending but do you have to start it at a specific point in the story? Does it auto-replace the endgame if you have it installed?

I just want to be sure that when the endgame comes I don't somehow accidentally pick the vanilla ending and then my character stupidly heroically sacrifices herself so I can't even go back to the Mojave Wasteland.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

So how does Broken Steel work? I keep hearing it "adds" an alternate ending but do you have to start it at a specific point in the story? Does it auto-replace the endgame if you have it installed?

I just want to be sure that when the endgame comes I don't somehow accidentally pick the vanilla ending and then my character stupidly heroically sacrifices herself so I can't even go back to the Mojave Wasteland.
It is basically an expanded main quest that has the majority of the content appear after you turn on the purifier. You get all these neat little things that make you feel sorry for the Enclave and then you kill the rest of them. The entire last quest's script is replaced, so you don't end your game unless you have the purifier explode for no reason.

Just throw Fawkes in there he'll take it like a champ.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it just changes the endgame up so either you send in Lyon's girl and kill her, someone else into the room that could survive it and Perlman calls you a coward or you survive pushing the buttons to turn on the Purifier. From there you go into a whole new game setting some 2 weeks later. But before that the main game now has some Broken Steel enemies and weapons show up if you level over 20, the flame launchers and the Albino Radscoprions just start spawning and some of them take forever to legitimately kill.

Raygereio posted:

It's a linear shooting gallery DLC, for an open-world-sandboxy-game which has poo poo shooter-gameplay. The whole DLC is focused around the weakest aspects of FO3.

:psyduck: That was the best part of the DLC. The steelyard s the only area where Bethesda actually tried their hand at some vertical level design and it turned out as a pretty cool place to explore.

I didn't say the Steelyard wasn't fun to navigate and fight hobgoblins with a auto grinder, I said finding 100 separate bars of steel was boring. If more of them were bunched together I wouldn't mind the easter egg hunt so much, but gently caress trying to remember what you didn't pick up around bar 96.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 14, 2015

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You get all these neat little things that make you feel sorry for the Enclave and then you kill the rest of them.

You said that before, not quite understanding what you're referring to?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Bholder posted:

How dare you defend Fallout 3, why don't you write an essay about how Little Lamplight would make New Vegas better!

Little Lamp-Legion

You have to pass through it to get to the bunker on the other side of the dam.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mosnar posted:

You said that before, not quite understanding what you're referring to?
There are random encounters in the world and notes all across Adams AFB that are basically panicking Enclave worrying about getting water/hopefully trying to see the next day

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm not super worried about the plot being bad in 4, we've already seen Bethesda writing/railroading at its worst (dawnguard) so expectations are set

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

They're normally stationed at Camp Golf, and will come and gently caress your poo poo up if you get on the NCR's bad side.

They only show up after you advance far enough in the quest line. NPCs will start commenting on "The NCR is bringing in some elite troops" or somesuch.

After that they'll be at all of the ranger outposts

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

RentACop posted:

I'm not super worried about the plot being bad in 4, we've already seen Bethesda writing/railroading at its worst (dawnguard) so expectations are set

Hey man, Toddy could always surprise us by making one part of the main story literally involve building up the super weapon we'd have to use to fight against the British/The Brotherhood/Skynet/The Institute and then have it be unable to work once its constructed and require several patches to unfuck it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Turds in magma posted:

Lack of self-awareness is one of the defining features.

It seems very strange that all people who would choose not to purchase consoles would have aspergers, but I suppose you would know best, Turds in magma.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bholder posted:

Wait, how did you do that?

There are no Power Armor hit squads in F2, the only ones who wear power armor in that game are the Enclave and maybe one or two Brotherhood guys.

You also cannot loot Armor in F2.

I don't know what to tell you, because it happened. They had power armor and gatling lasers, but the constant encounters with people coming to kill me annoyed me enough to restart.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Turds in magma posted:

Lack of self-awareness is one of the defining features.

Not purchasing a plastic toy that can't do anything a PC can't do = being autistic.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You all are bad people if you don't want to jump on this Collector's Edition bundle as the only piece of plastic that matters is the plastic piece of poo poo that you can strap your phone into!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

steinrokkan posted:

Not purchasing a plastic toy that can't do anything a PC can't do = being autistic.
Unless you're a big game piracy/emulation guy (not sure if recent consoles are even emulated well), you're missing out on a lot of great games that way. Plus a console after a price drop or two and some used games is very cheap compared to an up-to-date gaming PC. That said I have no horse in that race, I dig PC gaming and console gaming, I just don't see a benefit to picking a side there. Seems odd to me a gamer would never have an interest in a console exclusive game I guess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I only have time to play a few games a year, and most of the ones that I want to play are either on PC or the Wii U which I own, which is all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's gonna be cool as gently caress to play Splatoon and Fallout 4 at the same time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heavy Metal posted:

you're missing out on a lot of great games that way
lol

There's maybe a couple of somewhat decent games a year, if I'm being generous.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The other Doctor in this topic has a Wii-U, so you're laughing at another version of yourself, which is timey wimey quite frankly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You can tell there hasn't been any Fallout 4 news in awhile, because now we are having the Console Wars.

The Console Wars... The Console Wars never change...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Being unironically pcmasterrace in the year of our lord 2015 is cool and not at all juvenile as gently caress

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bicyclops posted:

You can tell there hasn't been any Fallout 4 news in awhile, because now we are having the Console Wars.

The Console Wars... The Console Wars never change...
Solid Snake said "War has changed..." in the PS3 exclusive MGS4. Which came out shortly before Fallout 3, so he was he right I think, thus "war never changes" was incorrect from an unreliable narrator imo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone who presses buttons as a hobby to have fun differently than me is doing it wrong, as well as anyone who enjoys different kinds of games from me.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

He had actual good arguments though instead of "buhbuhbluh caesar trusts you to do this thing even though you ruined all his admittedly minor things :saddowns:"

Yes, minor things like killing an entire camp, destroying their seat of operations this side of the river or revealing their high ranking spy in the NCR.

It is also hilariously easy to convince them that you actually blew up all the robots below their camp, you don't even need to pass a skill check or anything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maybe if we say his name three times like Beetlejuice, somebody will post a Todd Howard interview we can enjoy. Todd Howard, Todd Howard, Todd Howard...

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,
House pathice et cinaede Kimball,
qui me ex versiculis meis putastis,
quod sunt molliculi, parum pudicum.
Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest;
qui tum denique habent salem ac leporem,
si sunt molliculi ac parum pudici
et quod pruriat incitare possunt,
non dico pueris, sed his pilosis
qui duros nequeunt movere lumbos.
Vos, quod milia multa basiorum
legistis, male me marem putatis?
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe if we say his name three times like Beetlejuice, somebody will post a Todd Howard interview we can enjoy. Todd Howard, Todd Howard, Todd Howard...

*Dwemer Puzzle Cube explodes in a puff of smoke as Todd appears*

"I'm not going to say Fallout 4 is twice the size of Skyrim, because that wouldn't be fair. I'm not going to say it's four times the size of Skyrim. Skyrim had mountains, so you can't measure these things, really. I'm not going to claim that Fenway Park itself is bigger than Fallout 3 plus every province in Tamriel. Size is so relative, can we call anything big, or compare the size of one game to another?" *checks plastic phone house attached to arm* "Whoa, look at the time! It's been great chatting about how I can't tell you Fallout 4 is as big as the planet Jupiter. Goodbye." *disappearing* Monnnnssssterrrrr Brrrrewww........

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
No, you can't make that joke because its forcing MONSTER BREW!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bicyclops posted:

*Dwemer Puzzle Cube explodes in a puff of smoke as Todd appears*

"I'm not going to say Fallout 4 is twice the size of Skyrim, because that wouldn't be fair. I'm not going to say it's four times the size of Skyrim. Skyrim had mountains, so you can't measure these things, really.

What if we measured it in terms of surface area? Mountains would have more surface compared to flatter ground.

Are there even any mountains in Massachusetts? I mean the Catskills run though like the very back of the state but the game doesn't cover that area - but when you exit the Vault you can clearly see some fairly elevated land in the background.

And since you asked for it, here's Todd giving a keynote address at some DICE conference 6 years ago. I'm sure you'll all have a good laugh while thinking back at all the things that have happened since Oblivion and Fallout 3 have been released.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Are there even any mountains in Massachusetts? I mean the Catskills run though like the very back of the state but the game doesn't cover that area - but when you exit the Vault you can clearly see some fairly elevated land in the background.
There are no mountains east of the mississippi. Everything that gets called a "mountain" there would be fortunate to qualify as a hill elsewhere.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Strudel Man posted:

There are no mountains east of the mississippi. Everything that gets called a "mountain" there would be fortunate to qualify as a hill elsewhere.

there should be a name for something thats between a mountain and a big hill because while they may be chumps compared to the Rockies I sure as hell wouldn't want to go tumbling over the side of anything in the smokey mountains.

Speaking of which, whats the status of the mid west and the appalachians in fallout? are they all desert? I am not able to tell if trees even still exist in fallout except for zion and that one place in 3. Were the trees in point lookout still alive?

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 14, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'd like to imagine that the magic radiation that Fallout is known for got carried into the mountains by the winds of nuclear winter and rained down on the land and created all kinds of horribly radioactive plant and animal life, assuming most species weren't extinct by 2077. Oh, and the people have mutated into the degenerate but lightning fast cannibal wendigo things from the Lurking Fear, because why not?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Man Whore posted:

there should be a name for something thats between a mountain and a big hill because while they may be chumps compared to the Rockies I sure as hell wouldn't want to go tumbling over the side of anything in the smokey mountains.

Speaking of which, whats the status of the mid west and the appalachians in fallout? are they all desert? I am not able to tell if trees even still exist in fallout except for zion and that one place in 3. Were the trees in point lookout still alive?

I don't know how Fallout: Tactics styles it but given its' semi-canon designation, just look at fallout: tactics screenshots and videos

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The more I check in on this thread the more I realize that Rope Kid was the only thing that kept the New Vegas thread from devolving into total lunacy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Maybe what separates me from Joe Average Fallout Player is that I haven't owned any X Boxes or Playstations since 2, and can only fathom playing these games on a PC, with WASD. I don't think that makes me a "sperg" though.

Oh yeah? Well, I haven't owned a console ever. So you're still not as cool as me.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Man Whore posted:

There were live-ish trees in FO2 as well. Plus those drat spore plants. It's just 1 and 3 that are plantless deserts.

Also I don't think anything much has been established about Appalachia. The South in general is pretty much a blank slate except for what we saw in Point Lookout and a few scattered notes about killer plants and alligator-men from the Florida-set Tactics sequel that never got made. It's especially weird because FO3 was set partly in Virginia and Maryland but most of the people who wandered in came from the West or North (or Europe somehow), and no one even seemed to have a Southern accent (except Autumn who talks like Col. Sanders despite being Californian).

I've always assumed that the density of government/military installations in Northern Virgina led to it getting hit at least as badly as DC (the southern part of the in-game map is especially barren looking) and there might even be an East Coast version of the Glow down there, but it's still weird that we hear about Pittsburgh and Boston, but much closer cities like Richmond and Baltimore never get mentioned.

As for the Midwest, if you discount all the stuff in Tactics, there's basically just what we see in The Pitt, and a few throwaway lines indicating that apparently both the Brotherhood and Enclave have set up bases in the Chicago ruins.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Man Whore posted:

Some places probably had them but years of survivors and crazy people may have stripped the land bare. Others possibly always had them and they're either sapient or murderous mutants. However, there has to be some sort of major mutant plant life out there to generate the oxygen everyone keeps breathing.

As for the Appalachia, we have no idea as the closest we saw of Virginia was the cannibal family and Point Lookout. Depends on area, but I'm guessing how far of the map will be "condensed" New England will determine if we'll see any of the Piedmont, Valley and Ridge, Plateau or any of the the Crystalline Appalachians if it dips around Maine up north. The local geography probably had a lot of new hills and mountains just from the construction of all the Vaults alone, not to mention the bombs or Big MTs style super science colonies all over the goddamn country.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Being unironically pcmasterrace in the year of our lord 2015 is cool and not at all juvenile as gently caress

Just so you guys know this is exactly what I meant when I said "PC spergs" :)

por ejemplo:

steinrokkan posted:

Nevets posted:

Wouldn't the easiest comparison be to measure the traffic on the Nexus' F03 and New Vegas sites? And before you say that excludes console players... I don't give a poo poo about console players.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 14, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
People still play games on PCs? Gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

People obsessing over console vs. PC is dumb as heck, some people prefer keyboards and some prefer controllers but for real I can't imagine playing a Bethesda game without being able to fix things that inevitably gently caress up with console commands.

• Locked thread