System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Speaking of Gravity Rush, what's the difference between Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush Remastered? Is it just better PS4 graphics, or is there enough added content to justify buying the PS4 version for twice the price of the Vita version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

Speaking of Gravity Rush, what's the difference between Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush Remastered? Is it just better PS4 graphics, or is there enough added content to justify buying the PS4 version for twice the price of the Vita version?

I only played the PS4 version but from what I understand it's the same game + the DLC all bundled in so as far as content there's no difference. It definitely feels like a game more suited for playing on a console than on a handheld to me though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Freak Futanari posted:

It has all the dlc and they got rid the Vita gimmick controls but other than that it's the same game. If you don't have either, it's the version to get though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The Insomniac Spiderman comes out this year? Well maybe I was wrong about the 2nd half of 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

credburn posted:

This and Grim Fandango are my favorite adventure games. I was looking forward to the remaster...but the Grim Fandango remaster wasn't all that impressive and the Full Throttle remaster seems to ... it's like they rounded every pixel and really emphasized the border and so it looks more like Dexter's Laboratory. The Out of This World / Another World was another remaster that was...fine, but ruined the aesthetic by adding a bunch of detailed backgrounds to what worked best as a beautiful, minimalist game.

The Day of the Tentacle remaster is EXCELLENT and you can switch between old and new graphics on the fly.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I will eat a hat made out of cake if the new Spider-man video game comes out this year

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

credburn posted:

This and Grim Fandango are my favorite adventure games. I was looking forward to the remaster...but the Grim Fandango remaster wasn't all that impressive and the Full Throttle remaster seems to ... it's like they rounded every pixel and really emphasized the border and so it looks more like Dexter's Laboratory. The Out of This World / Another World was another remaster that was...fine, but ruined the aesthetic by adding a bunch of detailed backgrounds to what worked best as a beautiful, minimalist game.

Anyway, I came to this thread because I have a question: my girlfriend and I share a PS4. If she buys DLC for a game we own, but we use two different profiles, will I be able to use the DLC, too? Or will I have to just play on her profile like a sucker?

you should be able to use it, as far as I've heard

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lakbay posted:

The Insomniac Spiderman comes out this year? Well maybe I was wrong about the 2nd half of 2017

We don't know yet. While I'm hoping to get it as a Christmas present, it's looking like 2018 at this point:

SamuraiPaul posted:

I will eat a hat made out of cake if the new Spider-man video game comes out this year

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Considering they haven't shown anything from Spider-man since last E3, I'd be shocked if it came out this year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sony has been doing 2 e3's and a spring release on most of their major titles lately

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

Anyway, I came to this thread because I have a question: my girlfriend and I share a PS4. If she buys DLC for a game we own, but we use two different profiles, will I be able to use the DLC, too? Or will I have to just play on her profile like a sucker?
If a console is set to a user's primary, then anyone can play any content that user owns. Like I got a pro, and gave my launch PS4 to a friend that was designated as my primary. She can play any games I had as a digital version with her profile, and whenever I buy a new game or DLC digitally she can play that as long as she downloads it. It's similar to game sharing on PS3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Renoistic posted:

Gravity Rush 2 is half off. But this year I've bough Hitman, Mirror's Edge 2, Bloodborne and the new Nier, without finishing any of them. I've just too many games! I just pre-ordered Full Throttle too!

I'll probably buy it but won't get that hideous Phantasy Star outfit.

WTF I would gladly buy GR2 at half-off why didn't North America get this?!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Policenaut posted:

WTF I would gladly buy GR2 at half-off why didn't North America get this?!

This is why you always have a secondary account for whatever of the two main regions you're not in! I'm in Europe and I have a U.S. account specifically for stuff like this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

This is why you always have a secondary account for whatever of the two main regions you're not in! I'm in Europe and I have a U.S. account specifically for stuff like this.

Somewhat related, does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the DLC for the original Nier worth buying? I have an American copy coming soon and I'd need to create a US PSN acc to buy it, I'm in the EU.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Somewhat related, does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not the DLC for the original Nier worth buying? I have an American copy coming soon and I'd need to create a US PSN acc to buy it, I'm in the EU.

It's been a while since I played it, but it's a bunch of combat levels with very vague narration from the diary of Papa Nier's dead wife. The last level is definitely the most difficult combat challenge in the game, for what it's worth. I'd say it's probably worth about $5, maybe $10 if you're feeling particularly affluent, but certainly nothing vital to the experience.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They also have cool remixed music but you don't have to play the game for that

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

lets hang out posted:

They also have cool remixed music but you don't have to play the game for that

The album they released with remixes from the DLC has an a capella arrangement of The Wretched Automatons (the Junkheap music) on it, and it's really loving good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHmTuffyaEE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The only real reason to get it is to have an easier grinding spot for certain items

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

Well of course I have a UK account too but it's such a pain to go out of my way to get a UK PSN card and buy it there. I'd rather just have the dang thing on sale here!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Well of course I have a UK account too but it's such a pain to go out of my way to get a UK PSN card and buy it there. I'd rather just have the dang thing on sale here!

Going to Amazon.co.uk is such a pain????

How lazy can you be.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

How lazy can you be.

It's been something like 2 days since someone was complaining that they had to get up from their couch and physically swap out discs whenever they wanted to change to a physical copy of a different game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

How lazy can you be.

I'd really prefer to be able to link up a credit card or PayPal, but I only ever bother to get foreign region cards if there's some specific regionally exclusive title on that store I want.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

It's been something like 2 days since someone was complaining that they had to get up from their couch and physically swap out discs whenever they wanted to change to a physical copy of a different game

What is this, the Middle Ages?

https://youtu.be/6Ul2lHj9LH4

True story when I rented Horizon I had to come home and figure out where the disc slot even was...

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

If I wasn't stupid, I'd have set up my main account to be a US account. Even a full price game is cheaper.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Instant Grat posted:

Like, if you don't watch dvds with your friends and roommates, I might see your point. I stay up later than my roommate. We watch stuff together every night and then she goes to bed and I play games. Suspend is completely worthless if I have to take the disc out and put it back in every day.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sefal posted:

If I wasn't stupid, I'd have set up my main account to be a US account. Even a full price game is cheaper.

That'd require you to go through the whole PSN card process get DLC for any games you buy physically.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 22, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Snak posted:

Like, if you don't watch dvds with your friends and roommates, I might see your point. I stay up later than my roommate. We watch stuff together every night and then she goes to bed and I play games. Suspend is completely worthless if I have to take the disc out and put it back in every day.

Solution: Buy games digitally. That's an option for literally every game that exists on the PS4. Glad I could help! Physical games that don't require the disc to play aren't possible without proto-Xbone-style always online bullshit - otherwise you could just install the game and then return it to the store within an hour, without losing the ability to play the game.

We've been over this!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No poo poo? People, including me, said we buy games digitally because swapping discs is inconvenient. Then we got made fun of for being lazy. Then I pointed out how it was inconvenient and... You told me I should buy digital?

Becuase of the reason​ that came up as my reason for buying digital? holy poo poo! What a coincidence!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Snak posted:

No poo poo? People, including me, said we buy games digitally because swapping discs is inconvenient. Then we got made fun of for being lazy. Then I pointed out how it was inconvenient and... You told me I should buy digital?

Becuase of the reason​ that came up as my reason for buying digital? holy poo poo! What a coincidence!

Weren't you the guy who was asking about a way to play disc-based games without the disc? Sorry, I must've misremembered - in that case yeah, I did come off as quite condescending. Apologies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And I'm sorry that I snapped at you. I am a bit high strung today. Midterm this afternoon.

Games are good.

After my midterm, I'm gonna get back i to some quality Nier: Automata.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I buy digital because there's no room in my room :(

I hate digital comic books but I might switch to that too because I don't even have room to have a library

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So after watching the goon inspired(?) video on bloodborne, and having never touched a dark soul game, I'm going to grab the game today
Any tips to know starting out?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just run past things until you get to the lantern (it's up a ladder you need to drop) because you don't start with a weapon

the hunter's axe (one of the starting weapon options) can cheese the group encounters. weapons have 2 forms that you can swap between by pressing l1; in the hunter's axe's extended form, you can hold r2 for a charge attack that hits everything in a circle around you and will knock anything about your size down. I know some people have a lot of trouble dealing with the big groups in the first area and this can let you get past them pretty easily

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So after watching the goon inspired(?) video on bloodborne, and having never touched a dark soul game, I'm going to grab the game today

Don't restart, there's no reason to. Don't button mash. Make each button press serve a purpose. Use lockon.

You can't pause. Don't die because you opened a menu and wandered off.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The cane is stylish, but also seems to be the most difficult weapon to get used to for new players. There's an item in the first area that lets you purchase all of the starting weapons though - you can potentially find it before even fighting a single boss. On the other hand, if you're not really feeling your starting weapon, it might be faster to just start over.

Any items you pick up past your carry limit are sent to the storage box in the main hub area - blood vials and bullets are automatically replenished from there when you die/teleport, though other items are not, which is a bit silly.

Parrying is rad and stylish - rally/regain is cooler than you think it is.

Don't spend points on Arcane on a first playthrough unless you find a weapon or tool that you want to use, and which has a higher Arcane requirement than you currently meet. Don't spend points on Bloodtinge in a first playthrough - it's mostly for making guns deal more damage, as well as two melee weapons that you can't get until like, halfway into the game, even if you know exactly where to look.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Death is certain, embrace it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

git
gud

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snak posted:

Don't restart, there's no reason to. Don't button mash. Make each button press serve a purpose. Use lockon.

Unless the enemy is bigger than you, then break it.

quote:

Parrying is rad and stylish - rally/regain is cooler than you think it is.

Rallying is also a trap in a lot of instances though, so don't get greedy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Put all your first few levels into health. Like your first 5 levels.

edit: v oh yeah, buy blood vials. Like, all your spare change should go into blood vials. And sometimes bullets. What I usually do is spend 2/3 of my spare echoes on vials, and the rest on bullets.

Lots of people say it's dumb to buy bullets at all, given the blood bullets exist, but when you're an inexperienced player, you tend to use ALL of your vials for healing, so... I don't think it's dumb.

That said, use blood bullets when you can.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Almost forgot - spend any leftover echoes on blood vials after you level up. This will go a long way towards preventing you from running low when you encounter a situation or boss that takes you a bunch of attempts.