Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sade posted:

I wonder why FFXIV isn't on this list

if it doesn't properly have steam achievements then its data can't have been mined from this leak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
So what do you guys think is the most fun way to play FF8? Breaking the game? Playing it normally? Not playing it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

poe meater posted:

So what do you guys think is the most fun way to play FF8? Breaking the game? Playing it normally? Not playing it?

Playing it normally is breaking it. I mean, if you fail to break it in some capacity by the time you hit the missile base you can soft-game over yourself permanently pretty easily.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

poe meater posted:

Breaking it normally. Don't sweat over getting experience while trying to card extra stuff to refine. Use no enc after only after you've seen all the cool enemies in an area. Cancel into limits but also cast spells. Take the SeeD tests honestly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Which Mods do you guys use?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Donald Duck's robot arm extenders are amazing

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Which Mods do you guys use?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1424786710

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did the great crystal to ultima in zodiac age without using a map

what is wrong with me

got 3 gendarmes out of it though so that's nice

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

FFXV question because I bought it in the sale: is there a fix for whatever causes the "game works fine for a bit then literally makes your computer ignore keyboard inputs" thing that prevents me from making it past tits-out gas station?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can you transfer a PS3 save of the X/X2 remaster to PS4 or would I have to start fresh?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can you transfer a PS3 save of the X/X2 remaster to PS4 or would I have to start fresh?

It has a way to convert it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yes you can. In fact its even mentioned in the product description

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

poe meater posted:

I don't even use No Enc when I play it anymore, save for if I'm going back to a place just to grab something. it takes up an ability slot that I'd rather use for something else, and enemy level scaling isn't that bad

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did it, I finally made it past chapter 3 of FF15.

I have no idea why it took me so many tries because this game is super good now.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I've been playing FF7 with that fan retranslation, and so far it's surprisingly not awful. I got 7-15 on sale for steam and started playing em in order, but figured I'd try modded 7 finally since I've played it a bunch of times before. The new graphics are.... OK. I could not deal with different music, so I uninstalled that asap. But the translation seems decent so far.

I'm using the 7th Heaven set for anyone curious.

I'll probably play the rest mostly vanilla, except maybe some dumb skins in 15

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Doing the Final Fantasy VII (og playstation version) end-game stuff for the first time, just hit disc 3. I've got everyone's ultimate weapons (and I think most of their second strongest weapons), every level-4 limit break, overall pretty good armor, bred a gold chocobo and almost all of my characters are at least in the low-60s for levels. I haven't obtained any master materia yet, and the only stuff I need to do is take down Ruby, Emerald, and then the Northern Crater (which I haven't entered yet).

I'm assuming I'm going to need to level up a bit more/level up my materia to take on the weapons? I've got a lot of mastered materia but mostly it's just green materia which :shrug:. This is my 2nd playthrough ever and I didn't bother with them the first time because they kicked the poo poo out of me and I just wanted to see the ending, this time I want to take those fuckers down.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

Jenova was the protomolecule all along.

CLOUD: Donkeyballs...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Doing the Final Fantasy VII (og playstation version) end-game stuff for the first time, just hit disc 3. I've got everyone's ultimate weapons (and I think most of their second strongest weapons), every level-4 limit break, overall pretty good armor, bred a gold chocobo and almost all of my characters are at least in the low-60s for levels. I haven't obtained any master materia yet, and the only stuff I need to do is take down Ruby, Emerald, and then the Northern Crater (which I haven't entered yet).

I'm assuming I'm going to need to level up a bit more/level up my materia to take on the weapons? I've got a lot of mastered materia but mostly it's just green materia which :shrug:. This is my 2nd playthrough ever and I didn't bother with them the first time because they kicked the poo poo out of me and I just wanted to see the ending, this time I want to take those fuckers down.

Theyre both effectively gimmick boss battles rather than an actual progresion check so you likely have everything you need to beat them now. Take a tackle at them, see if you can suss out a strategy and if not just look up the solutions.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Theyre both effectively gimmick boss battles rather than an actual progresion check so you likely have everything you need to beat them now. Take a tackle at them, see if you can suss out a strategy and if not just look up the solutions.

Yeah, Ruby especially is a very gimmick-focused fight and can probably be beaten at any time once you figure out how to play in that space. Emerald Weapon's a nastier piece of work because it has multiple different gimmicks and even if you 'solve' them it's still capable of just hitting like a truck, but FFVII is still one of the most broken FF games in terms of player power level so with a little work and either grinding or cheese you can probably figure out a way through him.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the thing about almost all ff superbosses is that they usually have some kind of trump card that will gently caress you regardless of your preparedness. so your only real strategies for all of them is either A) figuring out how to maximize your damage output in as few actions as possible, and end the battle while you're still standing, or B) figuring out some kind of invincible combo that mechanically prevents you from being able to get a game over. optimally, some combination of the two.

my nebulous advice for emerald, is go with A. for ruby, you want option B, which becomes much more viable after you beat emerald weapon. you don't even have to be a very high level to do either of these things; it's all in how you prep beforehand.

more specifically for emerald weapon, if you pair all 7 fever with limit breaks, you can do a tremendous amount of damage; enough, even, to end the fight in just four more actions after that. for ruby, equipping Phoenix + Final Attack, and also the Master Summon materia, on one character, gives you five "extra lives," which you may not even need, and allows you to infinitely summon Knights of the Round.

stats and levels aren't really reliable in these fights--especially emerald weapon--because these bosses' attack and defense stats are so astronomical that you have to exploit item dupe bugs to go toe-to-toe with them in what you might recognize as a "fair" fight. you will never, ever catch up to their power levels naturally.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 9, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah as a kid before the internet gave you instant answers my friends and I tried for days trying to beat the weapons. Stuff like equipping Phoenix and Final attack was beyond us :v:

Or at least it was beyond my friend whose ps1 it was who kept telling us not to use the stupid useless materia as he summoned quad neo bahamuts

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just spammed that item that paralysed enemies because Ruby Weapon is weak to paralysis.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

I just spammed that item that paralysed enemies because Ruby Weapon is weak to paralysis.

Spoilered for the guy fighting them for the first time in case he doesn't want my super awesome 13 year-old self's strategy
I W-Summoned Hades (to apply Stop) followed by Knights of the Round, then Mimed it with my other characters. Over and over. I think it took like an hour.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pureauthor posted:

Seriously, 99 Dazers is more than enough to win that fight without any hassle at all. Between this and Magic Hammer, the idea that Ruby Weapon is somehow harder and necessitates Phoenix+Final Attack is completely mindboggling.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's not mindboggling when you realize most players don't know that it's vulnerable to paralysis

like even i don't know that, and i've read it before

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Using status effects in a jrpg? Pishaw. Everyone knows they never work.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

WebDO posted:

FFXV question because I bought it in the sale: is there a fix for whatever causes the "game works fine for a bit then literally makes your computer ignore keyboard inputs" thing that prevents me from making it past tits-out gas station?

Still trying to sort this. I got that Special K fix thing which didn't do it, and it seems to be triggered by being in a menu too long, which would be avoidable until the first camp site and then, welp

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lobster22221 posted:

Using status effects in a jrpg? Pishaw. Everyone knows they never work.

Why would you do that when you could do damage instead :confused: waste of a turn

That’s how I approached rpgs as a thirteen year old and if I’m being honest I’m not a whole lot more sophisticated today

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be frank I still dont use status effects unless youve got something like FFXIII or SMT going where I can know painlessly what is actually weak to what instead of wasting my time wondering if the miss means immune or I just missed.

Or playin VF Code of Dragon 3 or whatever the hell its name was and have one class whose entire gimmick requires applying a debuff that does nothing but let you use your other abilities every 3 turns so good luck being useful in most battles versus the character who can deal 1/3rd the bosses HP every other turn.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The other reason it happens(Besides not doing damage)is that a lot of bosses ARE immune to status effects, or get rid of them really easily. It trains people that play rpgs that they are always worthless. If you see it in enough games you start to think it applies to all games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

The other reason it happens(Besides not doing damage)is that a lot of bosses ARE immune to status effects, or get rid of them really easily. It trains people that play rpgs that they are always worthless. If you see it in enough games you start to think it applies to all games.

Or my favorite triggering a super rude auto-response from the boss that you can avoid by just not debuffing it.

Basically outside of a very small fragment of RPGs you are encouraged to think of debuffs as early game only

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When hunting Emerald Weapon don't forget to link Double Strike with Life Leech.

Mime truly is the FFVIII of FFVII.

lobster22221 posted:

I'm extremely annoyed by bosses being immune to status effects, if I'm being honest. Because there are always the few bosses that are not and they're usually weak to a single thing. It makes status effects useless to all but the people who already know the game inside out - trash enemies don't need them so by getting used to using them you're only gimping yourself, bosses frequently are immune to them, and odds are that you don't need them to kill the bosses anyway. Hooray.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 9, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Buffs are mostly the same, except is there any game where haste spells are not ridiculously good?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buffs are usually good they're just really unnecessary. The moment you get Big Guard in FFVII you're invincible unless you really don't want to be. With Aeris you can literally be invincible if your heart desires. In FFX the buffs are many, and they're all powerful, stackable and iirc last forever, and I'm not even gonna mention Rikku's "Read GameFaqs or a magazine and break the game" ability.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
"Crime Hazard" lmao

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Elentor posted:

With Aeris you can literally be invincible if your heart desires.

And yet,

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As a black dragon once said, "Kill the one in the dress!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lobster22221 posted:

Buffs are mostly the same, except is there any game where haste spells are not ridiculously good?

Haste is more a placebo than anything in FFIX.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Haste is more a placebo than anything in FFIX.

It was nerfed in the pc version with the inclusion of speedup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Haste didn't do much in OG FF9, since all I did was have HP Regen on everyone and Garnet summons while I heal back to full health.