Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like Dusk starts off kind of "plain" so it has room to do weirder stuff later on.

In Amid Evil, Arcane Expanse is probably my favorite episode thematically/visually, and The Void is cool and kinda makes for a good finale, but I don't really like the gameplay of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

renzollama posted:

Any suggestions on stick / motion sensor sensitivity settings for Quake on switch in handheld mode? I always buy and adore the id games on switch but I feel so terrible playing them, strafe aiming in y axis with those tiny analog sticks feels so unbearably clunky with my adult sized hands. I've tried the motion sensor controls on every fps game where they're available and can't ever find a setting that feels right to use in combination with regular stick aiming. Then you throw autoaim option on top of that and it's too many variables for my smoothbrain.

I usually prefer reasonably lower sensitives for stick aiming combined with high gyro sensitivity, so try starting with something like that as a base.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

renzollama posted:

Any suggestions on stick / motion sensor sensitivity settings for Quake on switch in handheld mode?
Buy a Split Pad Pro. The joycons are useless for FPSes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Man those last two episodes of AE have such awesome soundtracks though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
AE's Void was also one of the few times in gaming I felt that weird, ethereal style of environment actually had both visual diversity and was fun to play.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like Dusk starts off kind of "plain" so it has room to do weirder stuff later on.

100% agreed

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The first two maps in dusk are just kind of okay, it's the atmosphere of the third map that really hooked me in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Max FOV in Quake, at least for the Switch port, is 125°

Fine, I guess. :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dusk doesn't really get good until the Escher Labs, imo, and it starts to taper off again towards the end of Episode 3.

Project Warlock II trip report: it's definitely an improvement over PW1. Enemies that do things other than run directly at you, level geometry that isn't at 90 degree angles. It's also doing some stuff I'm not such a fan of- like that Duke Nukem style weapon reloading. And recoil. The filter I'm undecided on. It's definitely A Look, but is it a look I like? Ehhh. I didn't find myself having any trouble reading the environment through it, so there's that at least.

e: The demo's good enough that I'm willing to take a look at the full game, even though I thought the original was mediocre overall.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Buy a Split Pad Pro. The joycons are useless for FPSes.

They don’t have gyro though unfortunately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shoeberto posted:

Total aside but what is the term "playsim" and when did people start using it? I've followed sourceport development since the mid-2000s and I've never heard it before these last few pages.

Yeah I've never heard that term in my life either so I was also confused

david_a posted:

It’s just a term for the code involved in the actual gameplay portion of the game that’s simulating a virtual world, so the physics, enemy behavior, etc. I don’t know how standard of a term it is; maybe it’s used in modern games since those engines are considerably more modular than Doom & Quake. One does not simply swap out the physics engine in Doom, for example, (I mean it barely has one) but that’s probably possible in Unity or Unreal.

Uh, no? You can swap out the physics in Doom if you're willing to rewrite the physics code. You can swap out the physics in Unreal or Unity if you're willing to swap out the physics code. I don't think its really any different.

Plus Physics is usually considered part of an engine, where enemy behavior would be more of the actual game code or scripting. Of course all this gets complicated because you also have physics systems or libraries like PhysX which you can import on top of any existing rendering engine. I'm not really trying to argue semantics, for all I know lots of people do use "playsim" to refer to that, but I'm not sure the other point you're making about engines really makes sense.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 20, 2021

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Other than the 50 HP thing, what differences are there in the new Quake Nightmare? I'm not familiar enough with Quake so I can't really tell the difference between Nightmare and Hard at the moment other than the HP.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have anyone tried to compare fps performance of the new Quake against vkQuake and Quakespam? In some complex, modern map, of course.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I really liked Warlock 1 because I felt like it nailed the old school level design of small but densely designed labyrinths where you can either go through the keycard progression or find secret paths that provide shortcuts. I know that it's very Wolfensteiny but man... I can enjoy the Quake-era gameplay/design of most neo-retro shooters today, but the level design of games like Wolf and Doom I think were what prepped me for a life of loving Metroidvanias.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

I really liked Warlock 1 because I felt like it nailed the old school level design of small but densely designed labyrinths where you can either go through the keycard progression or find secret paths that provide shortcuts. I know that it's very Wolfensteiny but man... I can enjoy the Quake-era gameplay/design of most neo-retro shooters today, but the level design of games like Wolf and Doom I think were what prepped me for a life of loving Metroidvanias.

My understanding is that Warlock 2 is aiming for Doom - so verticality and polygonal, not orthogonal level design - but dense labyrinths, not Quake-style stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Other than the 50 HP thing, what differences are there in the new Quake Nightmare? I'm not familiar enough with Quake so I can't really tell the difference between Nightmare and Hard at the moment other than the HP.
In OG Quake Nightmare, enemies have like a 50% chance of restarting their firing state upon ending it. This basically means they turn into turrets. In 2021 Quake Nightmare, they have the same chance of restarting their firing state as in Hard Mode.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arivia posted:

My understanding is that Warlock 2 is aiming for Doom - so verticality and polygonal, not orthogonal level design - but dense labyrinths, not Quake-style stuff.
Alright cool. I was a little concerned seeing the early footage because it felt like they were doing a jump to Quakeyness.. but as long as it keeps the relative feel of the first game with the dense maps, loads of secrets and fun theming, I'll be happy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's been a long time since I've legitimately played Quake but, like a lot of people, the remaster got me to jump back into it. When I die, I automatically restart the level with all of the weapons & ammo I had when I started the level--does that mean there's no "pistol" (or more accurately, "shotgun") start to the game? I feel like I'd enjoy the extra challenge, but it seems like I might have to use console commands to simulate it or something.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's been a long time since I've legitimately played Quake but, like a lot of people, the remaster got me to jump back into it. When I die, I automatically restart the level with all of the weapons & ammo I had when I started the level--does that mean there's no "pistol" (or more accurately, "shotgun") start to the game? I feel like I'd enjoy the extra challenge, but it seems like I might have to use console commands to simulate it or something.

No Quake levels are designed for this. Please don’t. Unless you absolutely love axing everything I guess.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

czg posted:

No Quake levels are designed for this. Please don’t. Unless you absolutely love axing everything I guess.

I mean, are you saying you'd get bored with shouting "hey bud lemme AXE you a question" as you flail manically at enemies through the base Quake campaign??

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mean, are you saying you'd get bored with shouting "hey bud lemme AXE you a question" as you flail manically at enemies through the base Quake campaign??

Man what kinda deoderant these monsters using? AXE?

I'll see myself out.

In Cultic, if you have the lighter out while using the lever action rifle your guy will flipcock it with one hand like in Terminator 2. Which is just. Chef kiss

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

They don’t have gyro though unfortunately.
The gyro is in the Switch itself. It works with Quake.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

czg posted:

yeah, i dunno if some people notice it but quake doesn't leave a bunch of extra weapons littered everywhere. it's absolutely not intended for fresh starts on every level.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The gyro is in the Switch itself. It works with Quake.

I didn’t know the tablet had gyro too. News to me.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah, i dunno if some people notice it but quake doesn't leave a bunch of extra weapons littered everywhere. it's absolutely not intended for fresh starts on every level.

How does the original version handle it if you die? Do you just start with the shotgun?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Haven't play Quake in a while so I checked out the remaster, I forgot how good the sound design is. All the weapons feel nice and punchy and feel good to use, the metallic ping of bouncing grenades in particular. :discourse:

And of course, the jump sound. HUH HUH HUH

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wafflemoose posted:

All the weapons feel nice and punchy and feel good to use, the metallic ping of bouncing grenades in particular. :discourse:

There was an old song on the internet I remember that used remixed pipe bomb noises and I can hear it in my head but I've tried searching and searching and I can't find it :smith:

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does the original version handle it if you die? Do you just start with the shotgun?
It restarts the level with the same kit you came into it with.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

czg posted:

It restarts the level with the same kit you came into it with.

Interesting. That’s pretty modern so I figured that was something added for this new port.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Do not "pistol start" quake, its not really designed for it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Deakul posted:

How long does Dusk take to really shine? Played a couple of levels and was left completely underwhelmed and even bored by the environments.

On the flipside, Amid Evil hooked me instantly with its gorgeous... everything really.

play -at least- until E2M5. If you still think it's boring after that you know this isn't the game for you.

to be honest, I played the first episode, thought it was okay but no great shakes. Started the second one because everyone told me it was way better. The first map felt okay to me, but nothing spectacular. Then I put the game down for a while. Came back, played on, and E2M2 was really cool, and got into it. Every map after that was cooler than the one before, and holy poo poo now it's one of my favourite shooters of all time.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Look I pistol started doom and doom 2 on UV, I pitchfork started blood on well done, and by god I will one day shotgun start quake on nightmare. :getin:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Quake EX makes Arcane Dimensions look quite good.

Used Q64 as a workaround for any pak0 mods, might be a less messy way.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 20, 2021

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Quake EX makes Arcane Dimensions look quite good.

That texture filtering :barf:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks to the team who made this remaster! And double thanks for giving PS4/5 players the options to tweak a ton of the graphics settings, absolutely fantastic work.

Also, Quake is weird as hell. The second most common enemy has a grenade launcher? I've no idea what the hell is happening, but I think I like it.
Thanks for putting bots into multiplayer for the PS4/5 versions too, I used to love playing against them back in the day and wish MP modes in modern FPS's still had them.

What bots are they, reaperbots? Warbots? Something new? They kick my rear end pretty easily.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Started the new chapter. It looks fantastic.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was going to recommend downloading the Quake Done Quickest demos (if you haven't seen this a million times), but the pak they distribute doesn't work in kex.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven’t played Arcane Dimensions but it would be cool if it got added as an official add on. gently caress it, Add Saturn Quake too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Will the new Ion Fury expansion come with transphobia bundled in or will it be DLC

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How are you guys launching Arcane Dimensions on QuakeEX? (I think this Quake Remaster deserves to be called like that :3:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Guillermus posted:

How are you guys launching Arcane Dimensions on QuakeEX? (I think this Quake Remaster deserves to be called like that :3:)

Method 1:
Under the Quake Remaster folder (\Quake\rerelease) rename one of the other expansion packs and copy in AD with the same name.
ad -> rogue, etc.

Method 2:
Download Quake64 then navigate to %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake\q64 and drop in all AD files.
Make sure to back up Quake64's data.