Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lemon King posted:

Method 1:
Under the Quake Remaster folder (\Quake\rerelease) rename one of the other expansion packs and copy in AD with the same name.
ad -> rogue, etc.

Method 2:
Download Quake64 then navigate to %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake\q64 and drop in all AD files.
Make sure to back up Quake64's data.

Cheers ty! I think I'll replace one of the expansion packs. The new episode is really cool, once I finish it, I'll give Quake64 a go too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Hey all! I worked on this port too, and was the main programmer on the Doom 1 and 2 Unity ports after the initial release.

Lemon King posted:

Method 1:
Under the Quake Remaster folder (\Quake\rerelease) rename one of the other expansion packs and copy in AD with the same name.
ad -> rogue, etc.

Method 2:
Download Quake64 then navigate to %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake\q64 and drop in all AD files.
Make sure to back up Quake64's data.

You don't need to do this. Just make a directory called ad and drop the console and type "game ad" in either the userprofile dir, or the Steam dir. Userprofile is safer just in case they get wiped

toiletbrush posted:

What bots are they, reaperbots? Warbots? Something new? They kick my rear end pretty easily.

The bots are new for this port, they were created by the AI programmer who previously did bots for Quake Wars, Doom 2016, and Quake Champions, John Dean (Maleficus)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is there a way to make the PC version of the new Quake darker? My brightness is at 0 and it's pretty bright. I've been looking at videos of the console versions and those seem a lot darker.

Still enjoying going through again and bummed that these achievements I'm getting are considered super rare. People need to play more Quake!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

spongeh posted:

Hey all! I worked on this port too, and was the main programmer on the Doom 1 and 2 Unity ports after the initial release.

Thanks! I absolutely adore all these releases and the fact split screen multiplayer is finally possible and easy on PC is a godsend :) Do you know whether the updates are coming to the GOG versions as well please? I saw Quake 2 RTX just popped up there so would be good if the others are on their way as well.

Also I love that this is the default sound mix

Convex fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 21, 2021

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

spongeh posted:

You don't need to do this. Just make a directory called ad and drop the console and type "game ad" in either the userprofile dir, or the Steam dir. Userprofile is safer just in case they get wiped

The bots are new for this port, they were created by the AI programmer who previously did bots for Quake Wars, Doom 2016, and Quake Champions, John Dean (Maleficus)

Oh this works better, I didn't know about the game command in console.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

Songbearer posted:

Will the new Ion Fury expansion come with transphobia bundled in or will it be DLC

I know you're joking, but for what it's worth, I didn't see any overt transphobia at any point in the game. Best I could tell one of the devs made some ignorant comments on discord, and there was a soap bottle labeled "Ogay" which strikes me as more of a puerile 90s-esque "joke" as opposed to malicious homophobia. I didn't actually see it in my playthrough and had to look up what it looked like online. So if your worry is about getting hit with some in your face bigotry, I didn't see any.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Turin Turambar posted:

Game journalist. Worked on a few places:
"As a freelance columnist, he has written for a number of sites, including Firing Squad,[5] Yahoo Games,[6] GameSpy,[7] GameSpot, Xtreme Gamer,[8] 1Up,[9] Rotten Tomatoes[10] and others. His articles have also appeared in magazines such as the "Tom vs. Bruce" series in Computer Gaming World, and he was listed as "one of the field's rare American practitioners" in an article on "New Games Journalism" in the New York Times.[11]"

Infamous in some circles because he gave Deus Ex a bad score
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tom-chick-the-man-who-hated-deus-ex

Oh man, I loving loved Tom vs. Bruce. I don't remember many FPSs from it, though I do remember one about Battlefield: Vietnam ("I was hoping him seeing my death would convince him to step up and become some sort of South-East Asian Batman, but he just looked at my body, turned 180 degrees, and crawled away."). It's been a long time since I thought of him.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

g_showintromovie 0

The good stuff, right here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
It's a fun game, I'm enjoying it. Sucks that one of devs is a poo poo :shrug:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Look I pistol started doom and doom 2 on UV, I pitchfork started blood on well done, and by god I will one day shotgun start quake on nightmare. :getin:

It's fun, sometimes frustrating, but I recommend it. There are a handful of maps in the base game that give you absolutely nothing to work with and one is nearly impossible but mostly it's alright. Just don't try to get 100% kills. Shotgun start plays great for p much everything else Quake related, and IMO the mission packs are waaaaay too easy without it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
playing the expansion. fading embers is a fantastic map

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spongeh posted:

Oh poo poo, there’s bots? That rules. I can get some practice before going online again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stockwell posted:

It's a fun game, I'm enjoying it. Sucks that one of devs is a poo poo :shrug:

It's nice looking the weapons are boring and there's two types of enemies and they both suck poo poo

also it is very much not 'one' of the devs

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ion Fury is okay but it’s definitely no Duke or Blood. Better than Shadow Warrior though IMO. It was really pathetic when they went back on their apology because the game was getting review bombed.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
The shotgun could stand to be a bit more damaging at close range, and yeah it's missing something from the weapon lineup, could probably stand to replace the uzis with something. I'm still very impressed by all the poo poo they managed to pull off by the engine.
It could have introduced some of the enemies earlier too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even beyond whatever else happened i rarely ever see anyone bring up ion fury in relation to the other 'boomer shooter revival' games in a variety of places across the internet, so i don't think it really made the impression they wanted it to lmao

very thoroughly a 'it's a build engine game made like 20 years after when that would be really exciting' sort of deal and half the time it's mentioned i see people complain about the enemy variety or the weapon selection

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ion Fury only plays so-so but it looks loving gorgeous. I'd be talking about it a lot more if not for the devs ending up being lovely. But as is I have plenty of other things to do with my time.

The sprites really do look amazing though, along with the colored sector lighting. But the guns feel only okay and the enemies start to feel repetitive and bullet spongy towards the second half of the game.

Fortunately we have so many great shooters coming out, and many of them also have amazing aesthetics. Graven looks amaaaazing aesthetically, and Selaco looks pretty good too.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Might be because I'm currently playing it, but I think the enemy variety is probably more of a complaint about the earlier chapters, off the top of my head: Yellow and Red cultists, the shotgunner and his grenadier clone, the loving flying heads and spiders, the robot caterpillar, flying missile torso, the jumping fiend thing, the tread tank guy that shoots fireballs, two types of zombies, the bipedal walker mech, and the skinless flaming teleport fucker.

That's a pretty decent variety on the face of it, the issue being that the game front-loads the first half with both the most boring and most irritating enemy types.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This Quake Re-Release kicks rear end please ignore that I had to drop the resolution significantly in order to play at 60fps.

Ion Fury is a game I really, really wanted to like but the devs are poo poo heads and the weapons are messed up and overlapping. They'd have been fine just pairing down the number of weapons. Top tier starter pistol, though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1437760/Peripeteia/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKlhwpvvkk

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tried the Project Warlock 2 demo and quite enjoyed it. How does Project Warlock 1 fare? It looks a bit more jank with its very square looking layouts and I personally find it difficult to parse what's going on, at least in the videos I'm watching.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Artelier posted:

Tried the Project Warlock 2 demo and quite enjoyed it. How does Project Warlock 1 fare? It looks a bit more jank with its very square looking layouts and I personally find it difficult to parse what's going on, at least in the videos I'm watching.

It’s fine but a bit simple. There’s a demo for 1 too if you want to try it.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Barudak posted:

This Quake Re-Release kicks rear end please ignore that I had to drop the resolution significantly in order to play at 60fps.

Ion Fury is a game I really, really wanted to like but the devs are poo poo heads and the weapons are messed up and overlapping. They'd have been fine just pairing down the number of weapons. Top tier starter pistol, though.

Do you have an ancient PC? If not, r_gpuCulling 0 in console has helped people gain some frames back

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

Do you have an ancient PC? If not, r_gpuCulling 0 in console has helped people gain some frames back

I don't think that will be enough, but will try it. I have to run Prodeus in 800x600 mode to get stable framerate.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

I don't think that will be enough, but will try it. I have to run Prodeus in 800x600 mode to get stable framerate.

put it out of its misery

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Running remasters and retro shooters on old computers kicks rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

put it out of its misery

It tried! I got a confirmation from support that it had an unsolveable condition and that they would need to put it down and then later that night it started working fine and has worked flawlessly ever since. It somehow overcame a literal known hardware defect and now I can't bring myself to toss or replace it since it still works.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

It tried! I got a confirmation from support that it had an unsolveable condition and that they would need to put it down and then later that night it started working fine and has worked flawlessly ever since. It somehow overcame a literal known hardware defect and now I can't bring myself to toss or replace it since it still works.

mother of god

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Controller bugs in new Quake:
General:
D-pad "up" (selecting shotguns) seems to have not enough repeat input prevention compared to the other 3 directions, makes shotgun selection finicky. Either that, or I have a loose d-pad contact. EDIT: fixed by blowing into the d-pad.

Scourge of Armagon:
New weapons (including proximity grenades) don't have firing vibration.

Dissolution of Eternity:
- New weapon Plasma Gun doesn't have firing vibration.
- You can't switch to the axe using the d-pad. You can select it via the weapon wheel, though the axe is greyed-out on it. Might be a problem with the original expansion data?

=====

Having bound all weapon keys to face buttons in Doom Classic Unity, I'd love to be able to do the same here. However, the bigger problem is the controller option is simply not tuned enough to be viable for Quake. Designed-for-console games like Turok & Doom 64 are manageable with the barebones Nightdive controller aiming (and Doom Classic is significantly better tuned, for all its bugs), Quake is too fast for that.

cuc fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 4, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I beat the base game on hard today on Switch with no trouble. It’s tuned for controllers just fine IMO.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

I beat the base game on hard today on Switch with no trouble. It’s tuned for controllers just fine IMO.

I'm on PC and can only speak to experience with different PC apps. As a casual observer, all I can tell is Nightdive ports seem to generally need smaller deadzones and more gradients in turning speeds, with Doom 64 being the worst.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Just ran through both of the old Quake 1 expansions in CO-OP mode. It was pretty awesome.

Shame that Dissolution of Eternity still retains the obnoxious earthquakes.

Oh and the rock grinder in Scourge of Armagon still sucks.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m excited to try the expansions as I’ve never played any of them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For what is worth, my ancient PC: i7 2600k, 16Gb DDR3 @1600Mhz, GTX 1080Ti and SSD Samsung Evo 870 1Tb.

I tried the r_gpuCulling 0 and didn't do much for me but disabling v-sync and framerate limiter in-game made my frames go over 300fps. No V-Sync plus 120 ingame had the game go between 90 and 120 with some dips, disabling both and going to Nvidia control panel and setting a 121fps limit makes the game run at fixed 120fps no dips at any time.

So, at least for my computer (old-rear end CPU), in most games, it's better to cap the framerates outside the game, this is true for basically every game that comes with a frame limiter. Doom Eternal runs at fixed 120fps (high settings) if I cap it with the drivers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Had enough vore homing shots circling me in a death ball when it finally exploded my game dropped to 0 fps, rendered everything white for a few seconds then came back

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Help, how many gigs of RAM do I need to run this new 'Earthquake' game? Jesus Christ on a Cracker.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alienware's giving away some free Quake Champions cosmetic poo poo ($5 in gamebux, a Shambler-head hat for Ranger and a Q1-themed Lightning Gun). I also got the retro Quakeguy skin for Ranger from the recent anniversary event, but I think that was from having the Quake remaster on the same Bethnet account.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Guillermus posted:

How are you guys launching Arcane Dimensions on QuakeEX? (I think this Quake Remaster deserves to be called like that :3:)

Don't do this, some maps will crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The maps are ok to play for the most part but Descent into the Machine really just highlights how much Quake can do when you aren't trapped in dark catacombs. Sure it has a lot of that, but there are some really pretty white marble and sunkissed skies that just look so gosh darn good in an ethereal and unreal way.

Really Quake still has the one two punch problem of half the weapons invalidating the other half of weapons and that enemies are all real beefy boys and theres not quite enough variety buuuuuut it still kicks rear end.

Also there have been all of 2 of those exploding slime bastards so far through all the maps of Descent into the Machine so you know what Machine Games, congrats on not falling for the mistake the designers of Quake did.