Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played Dominant Species with 3, still one of the best area control games ever.

Turn 1 catastrophe into turn 2 blight into turn 3 predator owns. I won as amphibians ending up with 3 water and 3 sun with 12 spaces dominated at the end. Long live the frog kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I'm trying to decide between Brass Brum and Great Western Trail. Which do goons like more?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ceyton posted:

I'm trying to decide between Brass Brum and Great Western Trail. Which do goons like more?

Brass has become one of my all-time favorite games. Not sure if I prefer Lancs or Brum. Brum is more open and Euro-friendly, but also more fiddly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If those are your choices you can't really go wrong imo

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ceyton posted:

I've never played Brass but GWT is one of my favorites.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ceyton posted:

Brass every time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This guy I know is selling War of the Ring 1ed; how does it compare to second edition?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
They're pretty much identical IIRC, except 2nd has better QoL, in larger cards and a clearer map. If you have no issues reading small fonts, 1st is fine.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Anyone know if theres any talk of an expansion for Twilight imperium 4th edition?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

This guy I know is selling War of the Ring 1ed; how does it compare to second edition?

Perfectly fine. The main changes were an improved board and a few small rule tweaks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ketchup Expansion has completely changed FCM for the better. The new milestones really open up the game in interesting ways and coffee is a new layer of area control on top.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Update: gently caress the lemonade milestone right in the lemon.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The drink milestones are crazy strong. In my group's learning game I beelined marketer/lemonade/soda, trained up a pizza chef, and set up/sold almost an entire pizza bomb before anyone caught on to what I was doing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

al-azad posted:

Ketchup Expansion has completely changed FCM for the better. The new milestones really open up the game in interesting ways and coffee is a new layer of area control on top.

How's the ketchup?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

alkanphel posted:

How's the ketchup?

Like real ketchup it's the weakest part and a total afterthought that familiar players will barely notice.

e: More dev notes in Euro games please, this should be mandatory dammit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dev notes for tapestry: buildings fit in prescribed patterns, possible confusion for users? Will patch later on feedback

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

al-azad posted:

Like real ketchup it's the weakest part and a total afterthought that familiar players will barely notice.

e: More dev notes in Euro games please, this should be mandatory dammit.

Which modules in the expansion would you use? Coffee + something else?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Start with just the new milestones then add lobbyists, apartments, and coffee. From there explore the scenarios Splotter recommend. I’m wary of some of them, name kimchi and sushi, but the map stuff looks really promising.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Of the new foods I like noodles and fry chef as they’re new ways to clear demand when one or two players have chefs and would dominate mid-game. I also like parks/gourmet because in a 4-5 player game nobody invests in new houses, there’s just no time but with this combination it makes new homes competitive early.

Probably going to throw lemonade street in the garbage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

al-azad posted:

Probably going to throw lemonade street in the garbage.

For those of us who don't know, why?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Bottom left. It just looks like a dumb tile and will drive lemonade arms races, especially when combined with new unlimited marketing capabilities.

Re: first lemonade sold, I've talked a lot about that specific milestone in past posts but I think it'll be mostly fine as both RG and Marketers can compete for it and trainer doesn't need it.

Also I can't stress enough how much faster money flows in general with the expansion, game length is way down even before considering pricing wars being dead.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Vinhos again and loved it and then played On Mars and quite frankly, well, I was bored. The system on it was just uninteresting to me and I didn’t really feel like I was doing much in terms of interacting with others in a very meaningful way. The main mechanism is that the action spaces are divided into space and ground, and you only get workers back when you follow a shuttle (that switches sides) to get them back. The main interactions are that if someone already went on a space, it becomes more expensive to place a worker there, there’s a bit of space limitation on the map itself, and gaining buildings/victory conditions before other players.

The whole felt kind of points-salady and I wasn’t sold on the theme of the game, it just didn’t feel like the game would have been much different if it was set on earth. I loved Vinhos because in that game I know what everyone wants to do: make wines. With On Mars it just felt muddled. I honestly got bored and couldn’t wait for the game to end, which has only ever happened to me in Ora and Labora. Just dissapointing for me. It makes me less inclined to try Lisboa as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Re: first lemonade sold, I've talked a lot about that specific milestone in past posts but I think it'll be mostly fine as both RG and Marketers can compete for it and trainer doesn't need it.

Can a recruiting girl compete? If the marketer goes off second turn it would mean the recruiter player would have to reduce their price, be one space away, and win turn order which will happen with the VP but if that's the setup then the marketer player hosed up.

silvergoose posted:

It feels like a joke tile tbh and I would've rather had another apartment or over/underpass configuration to make the map more interesting.

A missed opportunity for an apartment numbered 42 or 451 or 666 or 525,600 or 9,986,000.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

al-azad posted:

Can a recruiting girl compete? If the marketer goes off second turn it would mean the recruiter player would have to reduce their price, be one space away, and win turn order which will happen with the VP but if that's the setup then the marketer player hosed up.

Yeah it comes down to restaurant placement (and then turn order) but generally the marketers are going to have their choice of first sale milestones and will most times want to go straight to lemonade. RG should probably use their flexibility to pivot and snag up other milestones and generally will be able to grab the most overall.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Played Brass Birmingham today, it is an excellent game for us and we look forward to playing it more. I am sure we messed up a few places but the game clicked with both myself and my wife so it should hit the table frequently.

I took off next week so we could spend the week playing Brass B, Gaia Project and Age of Steam between eating turkey and exercising should be a good week.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
punching my soon-to-be-inferior version of sidereal confluence and slipping into madness as i contemplate teaching other people the card symbology

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

punching my soon-to-be-inferior version of sidereal confluence and slipping into madness as i contemplate teaching other people the card symbology

The only really rough part is teaching people what gray squares mean in different contexts and how to tell them apart from white squares.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Played Tapestry today. I don't really care for the whole "a civ game must involve X or Y mechanics" thing because I think that's as stupid as the people who got mad at dungeon lords for being a euro instead of a dungeon crawler. But it's definitely not in the mold of other ones. It's the most feld-y SM design I've seen. Maybe the SM-produced game I like most (except Between Two Cities, which is legitimately Good). It's got the trademark SM sanded-down approach but you can actually make some mistakes in this one. First player seems like a potent advantage, though, especially with 4 players, considering much of the game has race-like elements. Overall, no strong feelings on it, but people who like maximalist mechanical popcorn like fans of Argent: The Consortium might have something they like here. There's a lot of different civs to choose from AND the tapestry cards are pretty build-defining and random. So even the same civ might play pretty differently each game.

pospysyl posted:

The only really rough part is teaching people what gray squares mean in different contexts and how to tell them apart from white squares.

oooh thanks for that. I'll pay extra attention there.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Another rough part is donation goods. These have a hard-to-see hand overlay and purple border, and they can't be used in your own converters. If you can't manage to trade them away, you must give them away as a gift to someone at the end of the Trading Phase.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played more Sidereal Confluence at the weekend, it really is the best trading game I think. The different factions all feel different and driving towards different things so you can all have trades that work out well for everyone. There's no point in grudges really and whilst you might try to freeze someone out of a trade or gazump them by the next trade phase that's forgotten because they might have something you want. It's really tight as well, we played 6 players and had a tight spread of scores at the end with the winner winning by 1/2 a point.

If you like trading and have a huge table I would recommend especially if people are getting rid for the reprint next year.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played 3 kingdoms redux and was pleasantly surprised at how much aggression was shown during this game. What’s interesting is that unlike previous games where more of an economy was built, the economies were barely held together since everyone drove to set up earlier offensives. Had a new player and I played Wei, which I typically don’t so I tend to blitz early resources to catch up before setting up offensives.

The real win, however, was that I introduced a friend to train games. :smoobles: He loves Chicago express. I told him there are many more, the rabbit hole is deep.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Played The Oregon Trail Game: Journey to Willamette Valley yesterday.

Thematically, it was actually kind of amazing and almost perfectly replicated the game experience. Some of us tried to forge through to the valley as quickly as possible, drat everything else. Some of us just constantly hunted. And some of us got super screwed by random events. Just like the game!

But then we got to the end of the game and the scoring system just floored us with how dumb it actually is. So when someone gets to the end, you finish that round and then calculate scores. We thought you got +$500 for bringing your wagon in to the valley, and then $100 for each health point of your family that made the journey alive, plus whatever money you had, minus money for how far away any family had died, and if you didn't finish, how far away your wagon was.

So I reached the valley first, having only 1 health point for each of my family, and 1 dead. This triggered two other players to try to scramble to reach the valley, both getting hilariously screwed trying to cross the same river. And the one player who was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the back just selling everything they could for cash. Looked like I came in close second to one of the other players who reached the valley, and the one in the back not actually doing that terrible considering they barely moved the entire game.

But then we really read the rule closer, and you get $500 for your wagon... period. You just get $500. Everyone does. No need to bring to the valley. And you get $100 for each health point of your family, no matter where your wagon is. The only reason to go to the valley is if you manage to pick up a Hitchhiker ($400 for delivery) and because you don't lose money for being farther away.

So despite NEVER MOVING MORE THAN TWO COLUMNS AWAY FROM THE START OF THE GAME, the player in the back won by a ton! She just kept all her family health up at all cost of finishing and sold a bunch of poo poo. Got a few favorable cards towards the end, and despite getting like $1100 subtracted from her score for NEVER HAVING MOVED AT ALL TOWARDS OREGON she still won the game. What the gently caress.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Elysium posted:

Played The Oregon Trail Game: Journey to Willamette Valley yesterday.

Thematically, it was actually kind of amazing and almost perfectly replicated the game experience. Some of us tried to forge through to the valley as quickly as possible, drat everything else. Some of us just constantly hunted. And some of us got super screwed by random events. Just like the game!

But then we got to the end of the game and the scoring system just floored us with how dumb it actually is. So when someone gets to the end, you finish that round and then calculate scores. We thought you got +$500 for bringing your wagon in to the valley, and then $100 for each health point of your family that made the journey alive, plus whatever money you had, minus money for how far away any family had died, and if you didn't finish, how far away your wagon was.

So I reached the valley first, having only 1 health point for each of my family, and 1 dead. This triggered two other players to try to scramble to reach the valley, both getting hilariously screwed trying to cross the same river. And the one player who was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy in the back just selling everything they could for cash. Looked like I came in close second to one of the other players who reached the valley, and the one in the back not actually doing that terrible considering they barely moved the entire game.

But then we really read the rule closer, and you get $500 for your wagon... period. You just get $500. Everyone does. No need to bring to the valley. And you get $100 for each health point of your family, no matter where your wagon is. The only reason to go to the valley is if you manage to pick up a Hitchhiker ($400 for delivery) and because you don't lose money for being farther away.

So despite NEVER MOVING MORE THAN TWO COLUMNS AWAY FROM THE START OF THE GAME, the player in the back won by a ton! She just kept all her family health up at all cost of finishing and sold a bunch of poo poo. Got a few favorable cards towards the end, and despite getting like $1100 subtracted from her score for NEVER HAVING MOVED AT ALL TOWARDS OREGON she still won the game. What the gently caress.

Some games just really gently caress up on this measure because the play testers always played the game the way they thought it should be played. It's in a few games like Stone Age with intentional starvation and Lewis and Clark where you just bounce off the last space building resources (Which was later changed)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Triskelli posted:

I have a personal friend that’s looking to unload an entire 600+ collection of games, with the majority unopened. We’ve got list of what’s for sale. If you see something contact Joe Tokar via Messenger

Cross posting from the Deals thread.

E: included the number of games

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 18, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Aramoro posted:

Some games just really gently caress up on this measure because the play testers always played the game the way they thought it should be played. It's in a few games like Stone Age with intentional starvation and Lewis and Clark where you just bounce off the last space building resources (Which was later changed)

I mean even disregarding the "win by just hunting and selling" aspect of not trying to get to the end, this game literally has a rule that says "at the end of the game all players get +500 points no matter what."

I mean... what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Cross posting from the Deals thread.

There's some good stuff in there if the price is right, I recommend people check it out.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

oooh thanks for that. I'll pay extra attention there.

To be clear, gray squares on a Unity converter mean that the converter produces gray cubes, while a gray square on a Research Team show that the converter the team makes available produces an additional cube of that size depending on what faction you're playing.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I got my buddy Dune 2019 for his birthday, and neither of us have played before. Can someone do a "if you like doing x, try faction y" rundown of the different factions?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Ruzihm posted:

I got my buddy Dune 2019 for his birthday, and neither of us have played before. Can someone do a "if you like doing x, try faction y" rundown of the different factions?

If you like book keeping and knowing what people are going to do - Atreides
If you like holding 4x the betrayal cards and 2x the treachery cards and murdering every leader you come across - Harkkonen
If you like making people use or not use an item and being some sort of shadowy manipulator - Bene Gesserit
If you like being rich as hell and throwing your money around - Emperor
If you like being rich as hell and playing the spoiler - Spacing Guild
If you like being a sandy tough guy who fights with lots of strong soldiers and leaders and abilities who is probably going to fight a lot - Fremen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If you want to be that person who plays the cosmic encounter super flare "you win? nope I won lol", bene gesserit, except you had to guess at the start of the game who and when.