Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Danaru posted:

I'm no ethics major or anything but sweet jesus yes expose him it sucks for the hospital but also he's a literal child rapist. I cannot even imagine thinking "well a couple of raped children is just the price we pay for a hospital funding :downs:"

Like I get it's a hypothetical and I'm not directing this at you or your flatmate specifically but man god drat that's not even a question in my mind

It's a common ethics question that's been around forever--do you allow a few people to suffer in order to spare a huge number from suffering? (see: The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas)

Personally I find it horrifically sociopathic, but it's something that a good number of people are OK with, especially if they don't see the suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If you wouldn't personally kill a baby to save 10 babies you're a bad person.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Volcott posted:

If you wouldn't personally kill a baby to save 10 babies you're a bad person.

I'm such a good person I didn't even have to consider the ten babies. :smug:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gen X: Exposing this scandal is a complex ethical question, as the lives of etc. etc. ...
Millenials: Exposing this scandal is going to cause so many Twitter meltdowns

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Something something trolley problem.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

He's... He's still at it, if you're wondering

https://twitter.com/paulbullen/status/1101962781404815361

I like that dude is arguing about using Normal People words instead of Educated People words but he's doing it with a shitload of ten dollar words to try and look smarter than everyone else.

Screaming Idiot posted:

How toxic is your ideology when incels dunk on you?

I can't tell if it's a serious post or some kind of ten levels of irony thing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

lol just lol if you think ethics matter for people with power under capitalism

anyone with 1 million or more in assets should be shot

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
But what if someone has, like, a big hunk of platinum and they chuck it at you and you catch it and now you're the rich rear end in a top hat and you have to shoot yourself.

We need safeguards, is what I'm saying.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CheesyDog posted:

Gen X: Exposing this scandal is a complex ethical question, as the lives of etc. etc. ...

:psyduck: Sorry, what do you think people are saying here?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Danaru posted:

I'm no ethics major or anything but sweet jesus yes expose him it sucks for the hospital but also he's a literal child rapist. I cannot even imagine thinking "well a couple of raped children is just the price we pay for a hospital funding :downs:"

Like I get it's a hypothetical and I'm not directing this at you or your flatmate specifically but man god drat that's not even a question in my mind

It was not even hypothetical. this was literally an ethics lecture concluding with "Do not expose Jimmy Saville!" while technically not mentioning his name. He was Britain's dirtiest, most open secret for decades. Everyone knew. The BBC, the government, the royals, the NHS, you name it, they knew of it. As for why he was given a key to the morgue? My sad guess is someone thought it was better he diddled dead kiddies. If he had access to enough stiffs he might leave the live ones alone... :gonk:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
where is a giant world ending comet when you need one?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

sneakyfrog posted:

where is a giant world ending comet when you need one?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Voyager posted:

:psyduck: Sorry, what do you think people are saying here?

That the seemingly complex ethical standards of journalism have always largely been a fake moralizing of decorum to protect the rich and powerful, and that a generation that grew up under social media has cast them aside in favor of embarrassing the elite whenever possible

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CheesyDog posted:

That the seemingly complex ethical standards of journalism have always largely been a fake moralizing of decorum to protect the rich and powerful, and that a generation that grew up under social media has cast them aside in favor of embarrassing the elite whenever possible

Yeah! Isn't it great?!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Volcott posted:

But what if someone has, like, a big hunk of platinum and they chuck it at you and you catch it and now you're the rich rear end in a top hat and you have to shoot yourself.

I think you’re overestimating the average goon hand-eye coordination

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I understand that some of the victims of Saville's abuse had complained to hospital management, only to be told to keep quiet about it. Quite a lot of people clearly don't care about sexual abuse all that much.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Volcott posted:

I'm a millennial, dying doesn't worry me.

CheesyDog posted:

ethics is a field focused on finding how to justify the current social order and always has been, no gods no masters smoke weed erryday

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It's kind of amazing that if pizzagaters didn't believe that Trump and his ilk are white hat pedophiles, they'd actually be pretty drat close to being right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of which, Dersh having a right normal one.

https://twitter.com/AlanDersh/status/1102030042379370496

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The whole Savile protection stuff is such bullshit. It's not like there's not enough tax avoiding philantropy funds to go around. If someone hosed him over, rich people would be stumbling over themselves to be the person who saved the hospital from the pedophile

they just protected a pedophile for effectively nothing and that's the end of the story

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

nerdz posted:

The whole Savile protection stuff is such bullshit. It's not like there's not enough tax avoiding philantropy funds to go around. If someone hosed him over, rich people would be stumbling over themselves to be the person who saved the hospital from the pedophile

they just protected a pedophile for effectively nothing and that's the end of the story

:ssh: Most of those tax avoiding philanthropy funds are also run by pedophiles

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
actually rich people spent like three decades stumbling over themselves to make sure that a peer in their class would never suffer consequences

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm just saying that using "but what about the kids" as an excuse was absolute bullshit. Like you said, the real issue here are the rich people protecting each other and their deviant interests

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I'm surprised nobody tried to bring him down. There wasn't anyone out there with nothing to lose?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Scottish comedian Jerry Sadowitz has been openly calling Saville a paedophile on stage since the 1980s. It was never a secret.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

I'm surprised nobody tried to bring him down. There wasn't anyone out there with nothing to lose?

How long have people known about R. Kelly? And it still took a documentary and resulting public outcry (in an era when we care a lot more about sexual offenses) to get law enforcement to actually move on the creep. People knew about Saville and publicly made jokes and comments on it, but the people in position to actually stop him didn't want to.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CheesyDog posted:

Millennials: Maybe leaving a child rapist free to rape kids in exchange for donations to one hospital isn't a good idea.
Gen X: Yeah, but it's just a few kids getting raped, lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah! Isn't it great?!

:hellyeah:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of which, Dersh having a right normal one.

https://twitter.com/AlanDersh/status/1102030042379370496

when you're Extremely Innocent

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Whoa wait, when did Gen X become the bad guys. Younger Boomers are still in charge of everything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Whoa wait, when did Gen X become the bad guys. Younger Boomers are still in charge of everything.

When you grew up and sold out man

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gen X... Younger Boomers

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Have you seen Reality Bytes? They've always been terrible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. Guess it's time to yell at kids on my lawn.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don't trust anyone over thirty

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CheesyDog posted:

The solution is to expose the rich kiddyfucker and then donate everything he owns to charitable causes when he's languishing in jail eternally.

Boom, eat poo poo, ethical conundrum.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skwirl posted:

Have you seen Reality Bytes? They've always been terrible.

Or Rent? Eugh.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don't trust anyone over thirty
Eat poo poo. Catch me if you can, Sandman!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was a riff off of Cheesydog's post

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
and on my side I'm just making light of how an exam question about protecting a generous pedo would be viewed in 2019 vs. 1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gen X was the generation that could’ve done something, but never really did beyond writing songs and movies complaining then just sat on its rear end waiting for someone else to fix everything.

I’m at that age where I could either be a young X or an old millennial, and I’ll take the millennial.