Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Phoenix Cave in 6 was originally planned to have “50 floors” :laffo:

E: and the Magitek Factory cart ride was a SMRPG-style minigame in planning too. Oh lord.

E2: “A debugger told us it was too easy right before master-up, so we removed the save point at the Crystal Tower”

WHO WAS IT

WE SHOULD KILL THEM

MechaX posted:

My Ultimania Vol 1 also came in (and jesus it is bigger than I was expecting).

I'm actually somewhat excited to read some dumb obscure lore and background on these games.

Welp, I’m sold. Went ahead and bought myself a copy, looking forward to getting it in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It has the characters' blood types for 6 so you can tell when they started deciding on that info while designing the characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/1022005867116470272

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Mr me don't see the issue. Also, any more info on this translation? I'm curious about it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lobster22221 posted:

Mr me don't see the issue. Also, any more info on this translation? I'm curious about it.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/

Fun!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

[quote="“Sunning”" post="“486262315”"]
Most of the FF15 team is still working on post-launch content/Comrades multiplayer with the rest working on a next gen game that’s supposed to be a new IP. FF16 is likely in production already from the FF14 team. Comrades is likely a testbed for ideas on how to make a co-op multiplayer in a FF game. Loot based action RPGs like Destiny and The Division are becoming increasingly dominant in the RPG market.

Furthermore, it’s becoming common for a developer to continue to support a game after launch while a smaller design team works on the next game. Certain development staff can’t be utilized when the next project is in a pre-production phase and they’re still coming up with the game’s concept. It also keeps the team from being press-ganged by other divisions into working on their development hell vortexes projects.
[/quote]

Grand Theft Auto 5 is still one of the best selling console games this year. It came out 5 years ago.

Games are becoming so expensive it’s really difficult to justify making multiple entries at a chance of success

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
IIRC Cid in Final Fantasy VII also uses ore-sama, so that's one point for the VII translation team. :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Fan translations getting blown the gently caress out imo. This is why you should leave the job to professionals and if you can't understand something, don't import it and then complain.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is incredible

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fyi I think almost every FF game on iOS and Android is on sale:

https://toucharcade.com/2018/07/25/final-fantasy-ios-mobile-discount-sale-download-franchise/

I just snagged War of the Lions for cheap.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just finished Final Fantasy for the first time, great game. I had to take a break for a bit, but I am planning on making a video analyzing its game design. There's a lot of cool poo poo to pick apart in it, a lot of which never really made it to later FF games (for better or for worse)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

seiferguy posted:

Fyi I think almost every FF game on iOS and Android is on sale:

https://toucharcade.com/2018/07/25/final-fantasy-ios-mobile-discount-sale-download-franchise/

I just snagged War of the Lions for cheap.

Still not cheap enough, they should pay you to play the lovely mobile versions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Noctone posted:

Still not cheap enough, they should pay you to play the lovely mobile versions.

FFT is pretty much as good as FFT on a touchscreen can be.

That is, the interface and controls are pretty cumbersome but otherwise it's just FFT.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I've been playing Comrades. It's ok even if it's a bit dead and the AI members are useless on certain missions.
How do you name your character though? I'm playing it on the pc with an xbox controller and I couldn't figure out how to do it. I had the same problem with naming the chocobo in the main game.
And what happens if you overlevel a weapon while trying to remodel it? Does it just prevent you from remodeling it if you didn't raise the required stats enough?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Grand Theft Auto 5 is still one of the best selling console games this year. It came out 5 years ago.

Games are becoming so expensive it’s really difficult to justify making multiple entries at a chance of success

In the case of service games, it's common for the team size to grow after they ship a game. This often means a developer becomes focused on one game unless they can expand significantly.

A lot of Japanese publishers this year have talked about acquisition/opening new studios in their financials. There is a severe manpower shortage in Japan so they have to look to overseas development staff.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Trivia question: Does Tidus get called by his name more than once in FFX?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1022162118953467904

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

bloom posted:

I dont think so?

I think one of the Auroch says it in Kilika which is kinda funny now that I think about it

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

bloom posted:

He never gets called by name in X, right, because you can choose his name? So they come up with all sorts of creative solutions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cavelcade posted:

He never gets called by name in X, right, because you can choose his name? So they come up with all sorts of creative solutions.

He does, in plain text only. But IIRC that happens exactly once.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How is anyone supposed to know his name if he doesn't introduce himself

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
One kid on the road in Dream Zanarkand says it, on the screen where you can listen to Zanar's pre-game speech. Makes sense that folks there would know it, but that's it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
As it turns out I was wrong and there are in fact two kids at the start of the game that use the name you give Tidus.

Regardless it's a really weird design choice. There's so much awkward dialogue just to accommodate the ability to choose the name for basically no reason except that's how things used to be done before voice acting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I dont think so?

I think one of the Auroch says it in Kilika which is kinda funny now that I think about it

This actually surprised me that I walked back to trigger the dialogue to make sure they did in fact say my name.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bloom posted:

As it turns out I was wrong and there are in fact two kids at the start of the game that use the name you give Tidus.

Regardless it's a really weird design choice. There's so much awkward dialogue just to accommodate the ability to choose the name for basically no reason except that's how things used to be done before voice acting.

Honestly it was probably just done because of tradition. I find it super funny that early on there are two NPCs that use the name you enter, though. I suspect that at one point in development your name was supposed to be used much more often, but then some rules were laid out to avoid it as much as possible. Then either the kids in Zanarkand were overlooked, or they figured it wasn’t worth changing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloom posted:

Its because you can name your aeons

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

Ok I take it back if this is the reason

I’m impressed Persona still does this but I guess it’s a bit easier with a silent protagonist. But they have a LOT of ways to figure out how to not call you by your name

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

:aaaaa:

How did I not notice this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Holy poo poo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

*neo voice* whoa

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MMF Freeway posted:

*neo voice* whoa

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Actually I've heard that before but always forget it until someone reminds me

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

:piss:

oh my god that's amazing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think someone in the thread said recently it's also why yuna never gets a water aeon

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think someone in the thread said recently it's also why yuna never gets a water aeon

Explain?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Because Tidus himself is the water aeon. In this game with water as a major theme.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Help Im Alive posted:

Wrong

Each enemy who sees Yojimbo rolling up with a fat gilsack and full overdrive sheds a single tear that does hidden 1hp water elemental damage.

The aeons in ffx are party members as far as the game is concerned. You can use a memory editor to obtain them early (or add Seymour as a member) by adding them to the party. It has been a long time since I've used a memory editor in 7-9 but I don't recall summons being handled the same way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

The aeons in ffx are party members as far as the game is concerned.

Hell you even start with one!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BrightWing posted:

Because Tidus himself is the water aeon. In this game with water as a major theme.

Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Leal posted:

Hell you even start with one!

But Tidus doesn't get sacrificed at the end to become leviathan because the gang kills Yunalesca and Zaon, leaving shoopuf as the only logical remainder for title of water aeon