Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Renegret posted:

Not realistic enough.

The UI is too clean to be my company's ticketing system.

Right, at least two thirds of the fields should be drop downs or checklists that don't have the value you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Despite my boss being on the opposite political spectrum as myself, we can agree on one thing: down with the CEO of the parent company! Through this shared enemy we have developed a great rapport. And I got a super awesome annual review despite having dreadful performance in the 3rd quarter in my old dept. due to burnout. Quarterly review was fabulous. I know eventually my hopes and dreams will be crushed but I've been having an OK time in corporate this past week or so.

Oh yeah, on company parties, at this year's we had to watch a terrible video of the C-levels of the parent company dancing and singing around to a recent pop song like clueless morons. Everyone clapped at the conclusion. :cripes:

Wait I have more stories!

All the C-levels flew in from across the country to our office and we (the IT dept.) had a meeting with their chief computer stuff officer (the boss of my boss's boss). We have a newly-hired dev manager who has an impressive resume who has been pissed off the entire time he's been here because our company doesn't offer any 401k matching (lol we used to before we got bought). During the C-level guy's presentation, the new manager interrupted him to ask why there was no matching. The C-level mumbled some "We here at [company] try to offer competitive compensation packages to all our employees!" corporate-ese and moved on. Later that week, the CEO of the parent company came by to give a dumb speech full of dumb corporate platitudes and humblebragging. During the CEO's presentation, there was a Q&A session where this guy asked the same. CEO said something like "oh nobody wants that benefit!" and then everyone shifted uncomfortably.

I'm liking the balls on this guy. Even if he gets shitcanned for stirring up trouble I won't worry for him because he has a seriously impressive background. God bless you, untouchable IT masters.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 23, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

catspleen posted:

Right, at least two thirds of the fields should be drop downs or checklists that don't have the value you need.

Don't forget the redundant radio buttons! And drop downs that change their options depending on what you selected for other dropdowns!

My company just switched to a different platform for the same ticketing system. They kept all the bad things and got rid of a whole bunch of good things. You have no idea how hard I'm trying to not rant right now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Renegret posted:

Don't forget the redundant radio buttons! And drop downs that change their options depending on what you selected for other dropdowns!

My company just switched to a different platform for the same ticketing system. They kept all the bad things and got rid of a whole bunch of good things. You have no idea how hard I'm trying to not rant right now.

:justpost:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
"Nobody wants that benefit"

Hey boss, yeah I was hoping you could scrap my health insurance. Turns out I don't really want it. I'm not even sick! Thanks mate.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My company's time keeping software freezes and has to be manually killed from the task manager if you accidentally enter a work order number wrong. Seeing as the work orders are random strings of letters and numbers this happens often.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Swink posted:

"Nobody wants that benefit"

Hey boss, yeah I was hoping you could scrap my health insurance. Turns out I don't really want it. I'm not even sick! Thanks mate.

Gotta love when executives double down on employee goodwill after being cheapskates by then insulting everyone's intelligence.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

catspleen posted:

The values that ARE in the list should be incomprehensible abbreviation (Cincinnati is CCT!), in ALL CAPS FOR NO REASON.

Also text fields can only accept input for two thirds of their length :suicide:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

*twitch*

ww...why

*twitch*

w....why the gently caress would you take a loving ticketing system where all the tickets are vertically focused, then put the ticket list on TOP? Then block the ability to configure the layout?

Ahh yes, I see, I enjoy being unable to see my entire queue AND see the entire ticket I'm looking at, while the right half of my monitor is completely unused. I didn't want that screen real estate anyway. That's just how I wanted it. If only if I had some sort of list of all tickets that I could put on the side of the window so I can keep track of my work load at a glance, and also have it oriented in a way so that I could see the entire ticket without having to scroll up or down. Nah, that's crazy, who would want that? Of all the problems, this is the most egregious. I no longer have the visibility on my queue that I used to. I'm missing tickets because I can only see 3 at a time instead of 70.

Good thing they made all the option buttons incredibly tiny so they don't eat up the real estate. You know, the most important buttons on the entire ticket. Not to mention the "CLOSE THE TICKET AND CANCEL EVERYTHING YOU JUST DID" button is right next to the "SAVE" button, and you can probably guess which is the bigger button.

You also can't share macros anymore since they're now saved server side instead of client side. So gone are the days of me writing a macro for the team and plopping it into a folder for everyone to use. I have to write the thing, then e-mail the search string out to the entire team and pray that everyone sees the e-mail. Sure it's convenient in case I'm accessing it from a different computer, which happens to be never. Anyway, network drives exist to help out with that anyway. Plus, not to mention that once I save a search string, instead of one click, it's become three clicks. Three clicks of the same INCREDIBLY TINY buttons and folders. Also I can't refresh tickets that I have open anymore, so I have to close the ticket and do a re-search for the same ticket instead of pressing F5 like we used to.

I can't run a search on the equipment database anymore without actually having an equipment ticket open. Which I haven't been given access to open. Which I have been refused to be given access to open.

At least it access the ticket database a lot faster now, except smart macro writing on the old system largely overcame it's speed limitations.

The drat thing works great, but it's user friendliness has completely tanked. I spend more time wrestling with it trying to do what I want than I should.

e:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My company's time keeping software freezes and has to be manually killed from the task manager if you accidentally enter a work order number wrong. Seeing as the work orders are random strings of letters and numbers this happens often.

Oh yeah, today I tried closing a ticket but forgot to fill in one of the required fields. It crashed my browser. Which took down all of the other ~*~*~*~*~*~CLOUD BASED~*~*~*~*~*~*~ tools we use, so it took me 20 minutes to get my workstation back to where I could do work.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Renegret posted:

Would that I could forget the redundant radio buttons. Also it works best when several of the choice dependent drop downs have similar/redundant choices across multiple fields that display drastically different choices with no apparent rhyme or reason.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Don't forget the warning message for "YOU CAN'T DO THAT EVER EVER", that you can safely ignore (You can actually do that.)

So many useless warning messages. So many tolerated invalid input.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FrozenVent posted:

Don't forget the warning message for "YOU CAN'T DO THAT EVER EVER", that you can safely ignore (You can actually do that.)

Then you blast multiple people with lethal doses of radiation.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I know half the enterprise ticketing systems pretty ok now and basically that's what happens when you try to please everyone - you make a product or service that must be customized down to the pluralization system depending upon department and time of year and the end user's marital status that requires a legal exemption form on file to do right. I'm almost not exaggerating. At a certain point I think it'd be cheaper to just have a company build their own ERP system than to spend so much customizing something someone else wrote. But then that tends to devolve quickly into the CoC Coding Horrors megathread. But you know what? SAP and Lawsson are both coding horrors as is PeopleSoft to begin with.

At least Service Now has a REST and JS set of integrations that are largely not utter crap. Basically everyone else's tech stack is shoehorned onto stuff from '95 and the developers long since left and replaced by maintenance programmers that couldn't come up with new features if their lives depended upon it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I just discovered last week was the yearly appreciation week for my BU.

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
Sundae, I'm way late to the party on why your company org chart is secret but it's definitely M&A related. You guys buy companies all the time and I am sure there is some special snowflake ex-CEO at an acquired subsidiary that would get their proverbial panties in a twist if there was a publicly or internally accessible document that dispelled how they've personally positioned their special snowflake status.

Hoopaloops fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 23, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Hoopaloops posted:

Sundae, I'm way late to the party on why your company org chart is secret but it's definitely M&A related. You guys buy companies all the time and I am sure some special snowflake ex-CEO at an acquired subsidiary that would get their proverbial panties in a twist if there was a publicly or internally accessible document that dispelled how they've personally positioned their special snowflake status.

Yeah politics seems like the most likely explanation to be honest; as mentioned before, pharma regulatory authorities expect the chart to be available so employees know who to escalate breaches / safety issues to, which is probably another reason Sundae's lot don't want it available. CEO: Problem? What problem? No-one told me! *shrugs*

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

rolleyes posted:

Yeah politics seems like the most likely explanation to be honest; as mentioned before, pharma regulatory authorities expect the chart to be available so employees know who to escalate breaches / safety issues to, which is probably another reason Sundae's lot don't want it available. CEO: Problem? What problem? No-one told me! *shrugs*

It always seems like anyone above Vice President in a company lives in a thick haze of plausible deniability and management trends.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FrozenVent posted:

Or the warning messages that you use to be able to ignore but because of an "upgrade" now crash out your system. It took them three weeks to figure out that was causing issues.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
drat, I thought I had it bad when the biggest software related inconvenience I have is remembering 12 different passwords to do my job. At least the software I use works most of the time, even if it is extremely inefficient.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
12 passwords? lol, I have 75 MFA keys and two RSA key fobs. You know nothing about dysfunctional IAM, end user.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I write all my passwords on a postit and stick it to my monitor. Suck it, IT security.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
That's fine, when your account gets broken into you'll be assigned 200 hours of mandatory security training. Your productivity means nothing in my domain.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

necrobobsledder posted:

That's fine, when your account gets broken into you'll be assigned 200 hours of mandatory security training. Your productivity means nothing in my domain.

Wait so I can spend a month not doing my job and just watching e-learnings instead?

Where do I sign up?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

necrobobsledder posted:

12 passwords? lol, I have 75 MFA keys and two RSA key fobs. You know nothing about dysfunctional IAM, end user.

I think you probably win.

What I 'like' about my own situation: the passwords all have slightly difference lifetimes (1 month, 6 weeks, 8 weeks) so you can never do a big reset day and at any one time, something is always about to expire.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
At work we cannot use any password that was used before.

It's awful because unless you increment your passwords predictably (circumventing the whole point of changing the password) you have to keep coming up with newer and newer passwords, each one less memorable than the last (since you will use the most memorable passwords you can come up with first).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Xibanya posted:

At work we cannot use any password that was used before.

It's awful because unless you increment your passwords predictably (circumventing the whole point of changing the password) you have to keep coming up with newer and newer passwords, each one less memorable than the last (since you will use the most memorable passwords you can come up with first).

This is one the reasons that I have my passwords written down. The other is that most of them expire every 60 or 90 days, and they all require stuff like 8-12 characters including lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and symbols. It makes it a horrendous pain to try and memorize them all.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ashcans posted:

This is one the reasons that I have my passwords written down. The other is that most of them expire every 60 or 90 days, and they all require stuff like 8-12 characters including lowercase, uppercase, numbers, and symbols. It makes it a horrendous pain to try and memorize them all.

We have different usernames and passwords for the different programs we use to do our work and there's a couple of programs I use infrequently enough that I've either forgotten my username / password or my account has been disabled so when I do need to use them I just log in as my colleague because she uses incremental passwords and I can always guess what her current password is :v:

e - I've been working for the same company for years. When I first started my department would have yearly drinks before we closed for the Christmas holidays. The first few years this meant leaving the office at lunch time and spending the afternoon at a pub on the company's dime. Last year our manager 'didn't have time to organise anything' so she bought us pizza on the last day of work and we all went home at lunchtime. Today is Christmas eve and we haven't had any sort of end of year party / drinks / free pizza this year (or any mention of it happening / not happening) but this morning our manager said we can leave 'a couple of hours early' if we want but didn't specify how many 'a couple' is :negative:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Where I work its 15 characters, but doesn't need symbols at least. The computer tells us it has to be unique, but everyone just changes the numbers at the end around. :allears:

The ERP program that we use is awful horrendous crap made for a different industry than our's. Though fortunately not subjected to the same password rules, so I still have the default [companyname]1 password that I've had since I started. Also I still can't use it, but don't need to, so the CSRs always get mad at me taking so long to look up a part.

I just go to wherever the ERP is installed on the shared drive and use Window's search to find any of the drawings I need, which is probably some huge security breach but it makes me feel like magic when I end up finding a thing is a third the time anyone else can.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I don't password protect poo poo at work. It is work stuff, I don't care, let someone else deal with that.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

I actually worked one place where network login passwords were 16 characters minimum, required upper case, lower case, at least one number, and at least one special character. No password could match any of the 99 before it. Passwords were reset every two weeks.

Apparently they fired a Network Admin a couple months earlier and then let him go back to his desk to 'clean up'. The replacement didn't have a loving clue how to change the password settings for the network logins.

Said company was out of business a few months later.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Taliesyn posted:

Apparently they fired a Network Admin a couple months earlier and then let him go back to his desk to 'clean up'. The replacement didn't have a loving clue how to change the password settings for the network logins.

Said company was out of business a few months later.

Haha, how to change password policies in AD is basically the first thing they teach you in the books. Even I know how to do it, and I've never worked in IT. And if you don't, that's what google's for.

Not surprising to hear they quickly went out of business.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Yeah, it's not the most hosed-up place I've worked, but it was definitely in the running.

Sometime I'll relay the story of the Network Admin who ran up a $40,000 (company) cell phone bill in support of the MUD he ran.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
If you have to deal with a shitload of passwords, get Keypass or LastPass. If you are allowed too at least, they will save your sanity.

In the realm of stupid, we recently had our reviews, and word on high was reviews were not to be "too good." The reasoning being if you scored a 5/5 in a category, well then you are perfect and you will never seek to improve yourself. Also no one is really perfect. Now, this isn't a huge change from previous years, but this year they really leaned on managers to bring people more in line with handing out 3's (Meet's Expectations). However, some managers had already completed their reviews and stood up for their people, while managers like mine instantly folded. On average, our scores are roughly a point behind, which when sent through the weighting (some categories have multiplier based on their importance, might be something like 1.5 and so on) can lead to a significant swing.

Other fun things: we are required by our auditors to have 24 hours of training a year, in a class that has valid CPE credits. I would wager good money that 90% of our IT department was no where near that, due to a combination of how busy we are, and how difficult it actually is to get training. While filling out a form where we document our training, we were told to count these mandatory online classes we have to do, that include regulatory requirements, our security policy and things like workplace safety. We were told to write in 24 hours of those courses. In 10 years of working here, if I counted all the time I spent on those courses, I would be near 10 hours. So 24 hours in a year is stretching it. We told the IT auditor this, and he's going to bring it up next month, no idea if it will matter though.

Been really lovely lately.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I'm an admin for well over 80 AWS accounts and I can't rotate through my keys fast enough to keep them secure enough for my own personal standards let alone corporate ones (there aren't, tada! I get to make up IT policies potentially for half a goddamn million end users). So, that's a project I'm working on currently because I don't want my company's rear end showing up on CNN because of some cloud "security breach" that was completely preventable if we could actually get our heads out of our asses long enough to do real work for a solid week - ssh keypair, API keys, and password rotations for somewhere on the order of 800 servers across multiple OSes, cloud providers, and different sets of ACLs. Oh, and federate access to them through LDAP and support SAML. Even with 1Password (I'm definitely not allowed to use LastPass given it forces us to keep the crown jewels on a server outside company control given it's cloud software and all) I just plain can't go about this manually. Sadly, none of this stuff is rocket science to actually functional IT organizations where the general ratio of admins to servers should be about 1:5000 (I swear it's only like 1:50 here, including VMs). What happens if an admin gets his machine owned? We have no way to revoke access to the attackers either. And we paid god knows how many milllions on some security software that basically is a server version of KeePass - it rotates passwords for you... and that's it. It doesn't handle ssh keys. It was software designed for security in the loving early 90s... but it was bought in like 2005.

Instead of passwords, it's typically a lot more secure to require user certificates in most enterprises (you do control a central directory right? ok, some form of CA maybe? congrats, you can deploy Kerberos and PKI to handle both humans and robots and avoid so many passwords it's not even funny). In DoD, users typically are assigned a certificate and if their poo poo is compromised, that's revoked and they're assigned a new one which should deny access to whoever stole the key. This is one security thing that DoD did ok in terms of usability at least because all these keyfobs + rotating passwords that's common in private industry is a nightmare.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

This is one security thing that DoD did ok in terms of usability at least because all these keyfobs + rotating passwords that's common in private industry is a nightmare.

When I did my (short) stint at a defense contractor, in addition to a password and keyfob, I actually had a thumbprint reader I was required to use to get my computer up and running every day. I lived in fear of accidentally cutting that thumb.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
One of the latest trends in web stuff is to disable pasting into the password field when creating a new password.

Makes it impossible to use really secure passwords generated by keepass and pisses me right off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I used I use this government-funded, privately managed database pretty occasionally. It was mostly public access but you had to apply and get access, naming your employer and giving reason why you needed it.

Didn't use it for a while, my account wouldn't work. Emailed their support asking for a password reset since there was no link anywhere.

Again, this was run by people outside my employer.

They emailed me a co-worker's username and password, in plaintext just like that.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Yesterday I was informed by senior management that my manager had told them I was going to be in the office today (Christmas eve) to provide cover.

Erm... no. I'm sure this is just a mistake on my manager's part but goddamn, I got approval for my holiday request from him AND filled in his "Christmas availability" spreadsheet sometime back in November. If anyone at any point had checked with me I would have set them straight immediately. I was never going to be in today as I've had plans to visit family since mid-April.

(Not actually at work, posting this from a Christmas eve tailback. Just annoyed at how even advanced planning still doesn't seem to work)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

One of the latest trends in web stuff is to disable pasting into the password field when creating a new password.

Makes it impossible to use really secure passwords generated by keepass and pisses me right off.
Keepass does autotype. When those come up I just go in and change the autotype rule to temporarily just be the password field then change it back afterward. That'll defeat that handily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think he means the website's 'new password' field won't accept right-click -> Paste or ctrl+V input. It's absolutely hacker_safe.png to have to paste Keepass' output into a Notepad window and painstakingly re-type a string of random characters, symbols and letters every time you want to change your PayPal password!

(my pet peeve is 'enter characters 5, 16 and 24 from your password': like anyone uses anything other than surname123 or similar with those)