Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
The focus of the thread is distilled down to "don't go to law school", but I think what we mostly mean is "don't borrow any money to go to law school".

The inflated cost of obtaining the degree is to large for the relative worth of it once it is obtained. If someone else is footing the bill, you eliminate possibly the #1 reason why obtaining a law degree is such a bad gamble. IBR also minimizes this risk (at least at the front end, nobody knows yet what they'll do about all those ten and twenty-five year forgiveness deals when tax time comes).

So, outside the T14 it can still be a decent idea to attend law school, as long as someone else pays for it, and provided you know what being a lawyer really entails (you don't) and are truly committed to doing such work for the rest of your life (you aren't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I agree with Defleshed. Debt load is a major part of the concern you should have when thinking about law school.

For example, I'm in a really good place relative to most law students: I'm at Columbia, I have a scholarship that pays for one third of my total debt load, I have less than $20K of undergraduate debt and I have employment lined up for next summer which I feel decent (but not rock-solid!) about turning into a full-time gig.

The thing is though that I'd like to impress on most people reading this thread is that your chances of having it as good as I do are really, really slim - almost every opportunity broke my way. So if you read that and thought "ew you're going to be ~160K in debt gross man" then I gotta tell you dear readers law school is almost certainly not for you.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I dunno, there's also the opportunity cost of losing 3 years of earning and advancement, especially if a JD sets you back and/or you hate being a lawyer.

I mean that's a big part of the reason I didn't go to Cardozo on a full ride (also: would have had to take out loans just to live in NYC).

I've been getting a lot of recruitment emails / letters from the mid-T14 (NYU, Michigan) because my (second) LSAT and GPA are high enough, but it's not worth it to me at this point. Then again, I like my current job, have career advancement opportunities, and was really only interested in law school in order to be a big gay academic writing big gay papers about gay bullshit, so ymmv.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Petey posted:

I dunno, there's also the opportunity cost of losing 3 years of earning and advancement, especially if a JD sets you back and/or you hate being a lawyer.

I mean that's a big part of the reason I didn't go to Cardozo on a full ride (also: would have had to take out loans just to live in NYC).

I've been getting a lot of recruitment emails / letters from the mid-T14 (NYU, Michigan) because my (second) LSAT and GPA are high enough, but it's not worth it to me at this point. Then again, I like my current job, have career advancement opportunities, and was really only interested in law school in order to be a big gay academic writing big gay papers about gay bullshit, so ymmv.

Ooh, another great point. I think most prospective would-be law students are fresh-out-of-undergrad liberal arts majors though, so this matters in their assessment.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Feces Starship posted:

Ooh, another great point. I think most prospective would-be law students are fresh-out-of-undergrad liberal arts majors though, so this matters in their assessment.

That's true. But so was I (which was part of the reason I was so desperate in this thread in version #9 or so). Very rarely does a day go by when I do not thank cthulhu that I did not go to Cardozo. This thread probably saved my life (for I would have taken it).

Just to reinforce the debt point:

The total cost of law school is:

tuition + living expenses (rent, food, etc) + not getting paid / saving from another job + not getting 3 years of advancement at that job.

Obviously if you have no job and no prospects for one the cost is limited to the first two factors; however, keep in mind that you may also have no job and no prospects for one after law school.

Archilochos
Jul 14, 2008
Any current or past NYU/Columbia students around that might have some time to talk about their experiences? I haven't heard back from Columbia yet, but regardless of the decision it looks like there's a good chance I'll be heading to Manhattan next year. I know there used to be a list in the OP but it looks like it didn't survive the new thread iteration.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Archilochos posted:

Any current or past NYU/Columbia students around that might have some time to talk about their experiences? I haven't heard back from Columbia yet, but regardless of the decision it looks like there's a good chance I'll be heading to Manhattan next year. I know there used to be a list in the OP but it looks like it didn't survive the new thread iteration.

The only two people on the thread that I know of at CLS are Feces and Prussian Advisor (Prussian transfered from somewhere else).

I'm headed to CLS in the Fall.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Archilochos posted:

What do you want to know?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Archilochos posted:

Shoot dawg.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
-

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 15, 2012

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
My unsolicited advice is don't go into an undergrad pre-law program. Pick something that interests you and will be of use if you decide not to go to law school.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Starpluck posted:

1-3 don't apply to me, I'm still in high-school.

My honest-to-god advice: gtfo the thread and go drink beer/get laid

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
-

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 15, 2012

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Should have

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Starpluck posted:

Ok, you're a high schooler. I'm about to give you the best advice ever for getting into law school:

Take easy classes in college, and get a 4.0.

A 4.0 GPA is more important than taking a hard major or hard classes, or playing intercollegiate sports, or being the President of the XXX society or whatever.

Find the easy classes, and take them. Do everything you can to increase the chances of graduating with a 4.0.

The reason that this is the best advice is because your GPA and your LSAT score are the two most important things that get you into law school, and it's much easier to control your GPA than your LSAT score. The LSAT is a tough test, it is tough to improve your score, it is tough to do well on it. But your GPA? You can get a 4.0 in art history, or underwater basket weaving, or sub-bridge fellatio, and you will get lumped right next to the people who majored in physics, organic chemistry, and engineering.

So take easy classes.

It's too bad that most people decide to go to law school once they're juniors or seniors in college, when it's too late to take easy classes and get a 4.0. :(

When my little brother went to college, I told him that if he had any interest in law school, he should not take physics, or chemistry, or calculus, or any engineering courses.

Edit: This advice is terrible if you plan to do anything other than law school, because other grad schools will care about the difficulty of your major, and so will employers.

quote:

4. I've always seen it as the practical career I should be pursuing. The study of law has always been of interest to me as of a result, I already know much pertaining to this subject as well as participating in slightly related activities (Mock trials, MUN e.g).

You don't know much pertaining to this subject at all, but that's ok - no one expects you to.

While you are in college, start talking to lawyers to make sure that you understand what lawyers do, and why you want to be a lawyer.

entris fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 24, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Alaemon posted:

My unsolicited advice is don't go into an undergrad pre-law program. Pick something that interests you and will be of use if you decide not to go to law school.
This is exactly right.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

gvibes posted:

This is exactly right.

Get a science degree so you don't find yourself locked out of patent work like me.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

SWATJester posted:

Get a science degree so you don't find yourself locked out of patent work like me.

Yeah, I'd say that you should go to the dumbest school with the easiest engineering/CS/science program if you want a possibility of going into patents. My undergrad engineering school had a 3.2 as graduation with honors at the time and not even 10% of the students got that. It was fine for getting into other graduate schools, but law schools don't care too much about difficulty of the school or major.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Starpluck posted:

4. I've always seen it as the practical career I should be pursuing. The study of law has always been of interest to me as of a result, I already know much pertaining to this subject as well as participating in slightly related activities (Mock trials, MUN e.g).

It should be noted that law school and being a lawyer is almost nothing like mock trial, debate club, etc. I don't know what MUN is so I assume it also has nothing to do with law school.

I suggest you do the following: Find some big, complicated, and boring case at your local courthouse. The more boring the better. Think contract dispute over Tonka Truck shipping, or a fight over a mortgage or whatever. There should be a heap of paperwork in the file (which is public record and you can request from the customer service desk). Pick a random 50 page Motion for Partial Summary Judgment Regarding Tax Lien Interest Start Date and read it in detail. After you have read this 50 page legal writing masterpiece, think if you want to be doing that every day for the rest of your life.

Then if you still want to be a lawyer, follow entris' advice. Get a 4.0 and nail the LSAT and get a full scholarship to a T14. Do not do not do not do not major in "pre-law." Find something you genuinely enjoy, because if you enjoy the work you are more likely to get a 4.0.

Finally, while in undergrad be sure to get laid a lot because once you are a lawyer you will be too depressed and probably too fat to get laid again.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Starpluck posted:

I never realized I should of just been drinking my rear end off 24/7 instead of planning ahead of time, thanks for enlightening me.

Haha you're a sensitive little bitch you'll do great in law school good luck!

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

Defleshed posted:

Haha you're a sensitive little bitch you'll do great in law school good luck!

gotta make it through college first, raging in gbs about how dumb those frat bros are

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Holland Oats posted:

Thanks for posting this, I'm going to try to remember it once I start dealing with real legal work. I'm normally not a big fan of super detailed notes in class but that'll need to change soon.

Two things that don't get taught in law school but should are:
1. Constantly question your assumptions. Do you KNOW something is true, or are you making some crucial assumption somewhere? You can't assume you'll remember everything. You can't assume that a certain legal theory will work. You can't assume anything without at least thinking it through.

2. Produce a record. For everything. If it isn't written down, it didn't happen.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

entris posted:

Find the easy classes, and take them. Do everything you can to increase the chances of graduating with a 4.0.
My pre-law adviser - the only one for the school at the time - told all of his students that they should take the most difficult classes possible because law schools take a hard look at the classes on your UG transcript and they would discount any "artificially" inflated GPAs.

Trolled the whole drat school. Wish I found SA before I graduated. :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Feces Starship posted:

It's really hard to say. I've thought about it a lot however and if I had to synthesize everything I've learned (and heard via anecdote, so take with much salt!) down into a "guide," I would say:

If you get into Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, go if you're pretty sure you want to be a lawyer.

If you get into Columbia or Chicago, go if you're pretty sure you want to be a lawyer AND you get a partial or full scholarship, or if you're absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer (almost nobody does so this probably isn't you).

If you get into NYU, go if you get a scholarship that pays for at least a third of your education AND if you have almost no undergrad debt AND if you're pretty sure you want to be a lawyer, or if you're absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer.

If you get into Michigan, go if you get a whole scholarship OR if you get a very substantial one and you're absolutely sure you want to be a lawyer.

I would not go to Georgetown unless I got a full scholarship.

I don't know anybody who goes to any of the other T-14 schools, so I won't comment on those. I would not go to any of them without substantial scholarships, however.

Furthermore, I personally would not go to ANY non T-14 law school right now.

WHAT IS WRITTEN ABOVE WILL BE VERY CONTROVERSIAL AND IS ONE MAN'S OPINION AND CANNOT BE ASSUMED TO BE CORRECT
You forgot, If you get into [TTT], go if you're a special snowflake who doesn't need a big firm job and will be happy working international law for the UN or maybe working for the ACLU for $80k per year.

The money is really important. I went to a kinda T20 (we tend to be 20, but I think we are 21 this year -- UMN), am unemployed, but I'm not complete hosed because my debt = $0.00.
Don't go into debt to go to law school unless it is HYS

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Green Crayons posted:

My pre-law adviser - the only one for the school at the time - told all of his students that they should take the most difficult classes possible because law schools take a hard look at the classes on your UG transcript and they would discount any "artificially" inflated GPAs.

God drat, that is malicious. That ought to be an actionable offense.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Archilochos posted:

I'm a CLS 1L.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
2L. MechaFrogzilla is one as well. Morningside heights sucks. Look at the seamlessweb entries for 10027 (us) and for NYU.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Archilochos posted:

Most lawyers I know who went to Columbia are kinda dbag-ish, to be honest. Then again, most lawyers in general are as well.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Holy poo poo, Daico is a god.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Starpluck posted:

Not the thread, but rather deciding what to be since I've been preparing for it accordingly. I also think that stress impacts me more powerfully, yes I know what to prepare for if I do become a lawyer, but I refuse it to be detrimental during my career and being the sole reason why I shouldn't pursue it.

I honestly never thought of that, initially I planned on going into private practice though Int'l human rights law does strongly interest me as well.

Yes, I've read the entire OP, it is pretty loving discouraging, will answer the other questions below.

I wouldn't say mathematics is my strong point so it is likely I will be able to pursue a career that involved intense utilization of mathematical knowledge (engineer or something).

I can go on, but I see no point of being lengthy unless necessary, I do feel my reason why I want go though is a bit short and incomplete.
You are so loving precious I just wanna lick your cheek

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

billion dollar bitch posted:

2L. MechaFrogzilla is one as well. Morningside heights sucks. Look at the seamlessweb entries for 10027 (us) and for NYU.

Disagree, Morningside Heights is awesome.

That being said, don't go no jobs die alone.

Starpluck posted:

I never realized I should of just been drinking my rear end off 24/7 instead of planning ahead of time, thanks for enlightening me.

Make time to have fun now. It will disappear later. Study abroad, gently caress a TA, do what you can to make the 4 years of college a good time. That being said, do not major in pre-law. Is that even a major anymore? My undergrad just had a lovely advisor who couldn't mail a dean's certification before January because of her blistering incompetence.

Study something you like - it usually goes hand in hand with being good at it or at least being interested enough to do well in the classes.

Don't think about law school until your junior year and don't go unless you really want to be a lawyer. Make sure you know what that entails. It has no relation to debate, MUN, mock trial, or any other form.

Also, international human rights work is interesting like unicorns or interesting. It doesn't loving exist.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 25, 2011

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

Starpluck posted:

you and your life are going to suck so much if you dont find some way to change this mindset

Daico
Aug 17, 2006
So I withdrew on Friday, returned my scholarship/loan disbursements today, and am marching blindly on. Hopefully not into a wall. I've got stage 2 of an interview (got through a friend; Thanks CSO lessons on networking!) on Thursday and a few other leads.

I'm going to go back and study something worth my time.

Edit: I'm gonna keep reading. For Ainsley.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Starpluck posted:

lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Daico posted:

So I withdrew on Friday, returned my scholarship/loan disbursements today, and am marching blindly on. Hopefully not into a wall. I've got stage 2 of an interview (got through a friend; Thanks CSO lessons on networking!) on Thursday and a few other leads.

You were, what, half done with law school? And you said gently caress that noise? drat man, that's more balls than I ever had

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

The Warszawa posted:

Disagree, Morningside Heights is awesome.

You must have been an undergrad here or something, but it sucks near the law school itself. Or maybe you're just comparing it to New Haven, which would (from what I've been told) make Flint, Michigan look like paradise...

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

You must have been an undergrad here or something, but it sucks near the law school itself. Or maybe you're just comparing it to New Haven, which would (from what I've been told) make Flint, Michigan look like paradise...

The truth is both. Though I lived near enough to the law school.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Daico posted:

Edit: I'm gonna keep reading. For Ainsley.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

I'm honestly pretty neutral toward Morningside. I like the space, and the fact that it's a little quieter than down town (I live on Morningside Park). Also, I'm pretty close to the 125th St. ABCD station, which means I can get anywhere in the city pretty drat quickly.

On the other hand, it DOES get pretty old going to the same bunch of restaurants or sandwich shops for lunch every day. Regardless, I'm glad to be here, instead of Ithaca or wherever the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Starpluck posted:

Nah that's pretty good advice actually, if you've GOT WHAT IT TAKES to be an (employed) lawyer then you should have no problem cruising through undergrad and enjoying yourself.

Anyways, you're still in High School and you're already thinking about Law School? That's gotta be a symptom of something horrible.