Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

5" stick done. Kiss CC, BH1608, RK 5038 DCS, unify race, Runcam Owl 2, XSR.
When I inevitably kill that Owl it'll get a mini.

4" lilith is up next. Plan is Kiss CC, T20, unify race, runcam micro, and prob that new R-XSR.

Dayyyyyum sick build! Stock up on those spare arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I got 3 spares with the frame. Next 5" build is going to be an armattan so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

If the drat cables on those 1608's were 1cm longer it would have saved me *so much* soldering. Also I'm sad I can't have audio and smart audio VTx control at the same time.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 12, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well flashed the FC with latest betaflight and now it sees the receiver inputs, so a step in the right direction. Gonna take a break before I stomp this thing to pieces, but anyone have a brief explanation on the different flight modes on this? Specifically anti gravity?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Has anybody built up from a Nighthawk 200 frame? I'm stuck trying to find a good location for the VTX.

I have ImmersionRC or FX796Ts available to me.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I took a plane out that I started FPV on way back. Fuuuuuuuuuck cameras sucked back then :mad:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Well flashed the FC with latest betaflight and now it sees the receiver inputs, so a step in the right direction. Gonna take a break before I stomp this thing to pieces, but anyone have a brief explanation on the different flight modes on this? Specifically anti gravity?
Antigrav increases I gain when you're hammering the throttle to prevent corner dips. Don't worry about it.

Just configure your arming switches (PROPS OFF) and go fly.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao I fly with a group of guys pretty regularly now and we had a hell fucker day today.

Guy 1: quad 1- flight cobtroller/RX issues, dead.
Quad 2: smoked motor after hitting a tree

Guy 2: broken chameleon arm after hitting different tree

Me: quad started to failsafe whenever I armed it. Eventually got it going but it'd drop out of the sky 30 feet from me.

Nobody walked away with working poo poo today.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Did you figure out your stuff? Unexpected failsafes are the worst.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Antigrav increases I gain when you're hammering the throttle to prevent corner dips. Don't worry about it.

Just configure your arming switches (PROPS OFF) and go fly.

And set your failsafe!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hahaha okay so I tried a maiden flight and it won't go vertical, kinda sits on the ground, though I did get it to roll over.

Ahhh think I put props on the wrong motors

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 13, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You'll get it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

You'll get it.

I did get it. Was buzzing around in angle mode last night. It's pretty cool to see it flying after messing around with it for 3 days.

Feel like I'm getting a grasp on how it all works too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Success! Now never use angle mode ever again. It's handy for landing when you're running very high camera uptilt, but that's really about it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still can't fly rate in LOS. Well, if the rear end is pointing towards me, yea, it works somewhat. As soon controls start getting crossed, I'm hosed. I keep wanting to build a crap quad from old parts to train, but :effort:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That sounds like the perfect thing to train in a sim. Not that'd I'd ever actually spend the time, but ya know.. you could.

I only ever trained enough that I could fly it back to me in reverse, bump the throttle, then disarm and catch it. Only works with active braking, JUST SO YA KNOW

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I never learned it properly either. I'm scared shitless of crashing my F450 because it's big, heavy, and parts are hard to come by so I just fly it in attitude only.

Is something like this a good way to learn rate through a lot of crashing? I like that it comes with FrSky compatible receiver, and the camera is also nice to fly FPV indoors later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If that flies like a whoop, then no. The best way to learn acro is just spending like 20h in the sim then building an entry level 5" IMO. Whoops are really, really under-powered even though they weight like 20g.

Also, best poo poo ever cominatcha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GTAvvNUcC4

insta
Jan 28, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I never learned it properly either. I'm scared shitless of crashing my F450 because it's big, heavy, and parts are hard to come by so I just fly it in attitude only.

Is something like this a good way to learn rate through a lot of crashing? I like that it comes with FrSky compatible receiver, and the camera is also nice to fly FPV indoors later.

Search for "FPV kit" on Amazon. You can get a 250 frame, motors, ESCs, entry-level flight controller, and even camera/VTX gear for $150 ish. You will need to add a receiver.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I don't know poo poo but this Babyhawk I'm messing around with seems like it would be good for learning.

I've crashed the poo poo out of it today and had no problems, just lots of grass jammed into weird places.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Honestly, when I first booted up Liftoff i couldn't fly in acro mode at all, then one day I got good. When I got my real quad, i already knew at least in terms of muscle memory how the sticks worked and what would do what, and I was only using a xbox controller on liftoff. I can't recommend a sim enough.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know poo poo but this Babyhawk I'm messing around with seems like it would be good for learning.

I've crashed the poo poo out of it today and had no problems, just lots of grass jammed into weird places.
The babyhawk flies kinda the midway between a tinywhoop and full on acro setup. It's got enough power for acrobatics, but you can't really throw it around like a 5" setup.

This is the same (good) acro pilot drving a whoop, then a 5" midweight acro setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaQSPff7-Eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTSvuLvt9Y

Basically, 5" is awesome for bombing around and combining gravity, momentum and power for tricks. Whoops are great for loving around and crashing into people repeatedly.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've fallen in love with the high powered 3" quad format (http://www.armattanquads.com/japalura-category/ or https://store.flitetest.com/rotorx-atom-v3-pro-diy/ would be my suggestions). They're tough, but still have the power to give you an approximation of flying the 5" screamers.

I've driven my atom into the dirt at full speed, and literally stepped on it full weight because I lost track of its location after a crash. Both times I just bent a prop or two. Most of the time if I clip the ground it'll just roll and come up completely undamaged (lots of grass though)

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 15, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Are those frames 130s or 150s? Or do 150s typically take 4"?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
The japalura is 139, I think the atom is 122.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Are there any prop guards that would work on the gremlin frame? After a couple days of flying the babyhawk I can already tell where the weak points are.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Are there any prop guards that would work on the gremlin frame? After a couple days of flying the babyhawk I can already tell where the weak points are.

the Blade Torrent is a similar size but you can buy their prop guards separately in several colours and they just connect under your motor with the motor screws. I have a set that juuuuuuust can't quite fit a 2.5" propeller inside but the 2.3" props of the babyhawk should be good

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6661

If you want a quicker solution you can 3d print them, but I wanted injection molded plastic for the weight/strength

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2339567

evil_bunnY posted:

Are you not ok reusing the baby guards?
my friend had to snip his off the frame, I think they're molded in

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 15, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Didn't think of that, is the pitch the same on the prop locations? Because the babyhawk has 2 connected prop guards instead of 4 individuals

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Airplane people... are there a line of ESCs out there with modern features? USB or serial programming, switching regulator for BEC, light weight, decent price? The closest I have found so far is Turnigy Dlux 30A. It meets all the criteria except it has lovely tone-based programming, or you have to buy a programming box.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've spent the last week or so getting an s6r set up in my eflite apprentice (I'm getting rid of all the spektrum receiver I have). this thing is frustruating with the default firmware, and tolerable with the beta firmware. I almost have it under control though. I had the elevator stabilization reversed, but I set the gains so low it didn't wreck itself, just made this goofy slow dolphin motion. I didn't test landing since I came in too fast and put my apprentice into a tree trying to bail.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Airplane people... are there a line of ESCs out there with modern features? USB or serial programming, switching regulator for BEC, light weight, decent price? The closest I have found so far is Turnigy Dlux 30A. It meets all the criteria except it has lovely tone-based programming, or you have to buy a programming box.

cobra has some wing ESCs with blheli. atmel based and the only time I heard of them was when someone was having trouble programming them (they have a dongle for $10 though). Emax has some as well, but they need to have a resistor removed and a bootloader flashed.

I had to program 2 eflite ESC to have an expanded signal range for throttle and it's terrifying. They don't even have a calibration option, just a choice of 1100-1900, or 1200-1800us

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 16, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Didn't think of that, is the pitch the same on the prop locations? Because the babyhawk has 2 connected prop guards instead of 4 individuals
I mean who gives a poo poo just clip the middle part.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yo is there a good option for smartport-capable F4 boards besides the Kakute? It's going into a chameleon so I'd rather avoid wasting stack height.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I like Castle ESC's. When I bought my 75amp ESC they gave me a coupon for a free USB programming board

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/fixed-wing/thunderbird-36-esc-010-0051-00

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

still having power loss issues. Im wondering what it could be. Did a *very dangerous* bench test by holding the quad down and giving it throttle sweeps. it cuts out at all kinds of different load levels, which rules out my theory that it was because I am using 30A ESCs on the BF F3 board (which is rated to 25A)

Im wondering if it is failsafe stuff - heres what happens.

Throttle up, power cuts, comes back on intermittently.

eventually it cuts out fully and it starts doing short beeps via buzzer. disarm/rearm will make it go back to normal.

Im also getting a ton of noise in my video feed (vertical lines/striping) so maybe its ESC noise from less than ideal wiring?

Im thinking of scrapping the BFF3 board and going to the Matek F405 AIO since it looks way nicer.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Definitely getting better at flying this thing. Been practicing every night, gotten okay at "walking the dog".

Battery question, how do you guys feel about parallel charging?

Just from reading online it seems to be a very polarizing subject.

I am using this charger and am looking at this board.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 17, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It can be done safely, but I'm still at the point where I come back from flying with my packs all over the place, so it doesn't warrant the extra setup. I can just plug 4 packs in a quad port and not have to think about anything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now I just need to get a lovely toaster oven and decide on what solder paste.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now I just need to get a lovely toaster oven and decide on what solder paste.

Dayummmmmm you actually got boards?? Awesome! What's with that crazy USB connector?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also got the components already. Was just too lazy to care about the solder and the oven yet.

bring back old gbs posted:

What's with that crazy USB connector?
Cut-out for mid-board USB-C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's gonna rule. You gonna sell any? Is it gonna run dRonin? That's an F4-sized spot in the middle there isn't it?