Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It takes all of 3 minutes to replace the HD in a unibody. Even more if you have the model were you can just pop the battery cover off and it's right there.

Thank you. Imaging isn't really an option for me, but like I said, everything that counts is already on redundant backups so no biggie.

I'm just pissed that in order to get a price quote from Apple's nearest retail outlet I need to travel an hour each way instead of just calling and getting a ballpark figure like literally every other product and service ever and was wondering if anyone had anecdotal experience with how much a similar repair cost.

Is that normal, by the way? The only way I can figure not giving an estimate for parts and labor on a known problem is to connive a way to get more people into the store to have overpriced phones aggressively sold to them after they drop off their nonfunctioning product. It is not a practice I find endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Willie Tomg posted:

Thank you. Imaging isn't really an option for me, but like I said, everything that counts is already on redundant backups so no biggie.

I'm just pissed that in order to get a price quote from Apple's nearest retail outlet I need to travel an hour each way instead of just calling and getting a ballpark figure like literally every other product and service ever and was wondering if anyone had anecdotal experience with how much a similar repair cost.

Is that normal, by the way? The only way I can figure not giving an estimate for parts and labor on a known problem is to connive a way to get more people into the store to have overpriced phones aggressively sold to them after they drop off their nonfunctioning product. It is not a practice I find endearing.

I've never had anything less than a stellar experience inside an Apple store.

I took in my old 2007 MBP to see if I could get help installing Snow Leopard. Not only did they install it--they installed it free of charge. Not a single person pressured me to buy anything.

Ditto when I was an idiot and jumped in the pool and swam for an hour with my iPhone in my pocket. I went in and got it replaced. Not free, but also no hassle or trouble.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gently caress this poo poo. Installing 1.5GB RAM and 320GB HD in a G4 iBook for a co-worker.

WHY?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shaocaholica posted:

Magnesium as a structural metal for electronics is rarely pure enough to ignite but pure enough that you can have weight savings even over aluminum. Its still pricey though.

Well, sometimes you get surprised.

That's not electronics though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
One of Toshiba's Ultrabooms that premiered at IDF last year had a magnesium case. It was quite nice, build quality-wise. Too bad the screen was awful, though.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
Maybe this isn't the case for all of them, but Toshiba seems to have the shittiest ultrabook keyboard out there. The shape of the keys is a long, horizontal rectangle, they have poo poo travel, and the distances are hosed up. In summary, gently caress Toshiba.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

How would the low end mini serve as a HTPC? Streaming 720 and 1080p blurays and the like.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
It'd be severe overkill, look into something else entirely. Zotac makes very good HTPCs, and a Roku/Boxee might be exactly what you want, although your options might be a little more limited.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress this poo poo. Installing 1.5GB RAM and 320GB HD in a G4 iBook for a co-worker.

WHY?

Indeed why.. I did this back in the day, there are something like 53 screws you have to remove and put back.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Kalix posted:

But it only takes 'effect' when I program a gesture, correct? So if I don't have any conflicts with the Apple gestures, it should be fine?
Or does it override the Apple built in ones.

I have some cool ones, like three fingers click followed by a fourth finger tap is to close a window.

They've become very ingrained.

No, as long as it's installed, it's going through their code path, not Apple's.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking to buy my first own personal Macbook, my family has always had macs but I've never had my own.

I came her to ask what you guys would recommend. I'm starting an Animation course at uni next year, so I'm thinking a 15-inch Macbook Pro because I'll need to be running Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop etc. a fair amount of the time. The Uni uses the newest iMacs running on book camp so I'll probably need to get Windows as well.

Another think I would like to do on it would be light gaming, like TF2, CK2 and maybe what ever indie bundle Steam tricks me into buying. Is this a feasible idea? Or should I just focus on using it for school stuff for now and somehow build a cheap gaming PC down the road.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

WHY?

Because yesterday's Apples aint like today's Apples. If you think iBook G4s/G3s are bad, wait until a friend asks you to upgrade the hard drive in their old eMac or Flower Power iMac.

Plus I still open up iBooks and it's nowhere near as hard as you make it out to be. I just use one of those magnetic screw mats from iFixit. It's not complex, just tedious. Oh, and try not to bend any of those RF shields too much or you won't be able to put the shells back on.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
My girlfriend received a used MB062LL/A and neither her nor I know anything about Macs. She'd like to sell it and get some money for it because she's a super poor college student, but the laptop isn't in great condition. It's dirty and there's a white spot (backlight coming through?) on the screen, and I had to remove one stick of RAM to get it to boot. I can't tell if the RAM slot is dirty or bador what, but right now it's running with 512M of RAM.

I've seen these for sale on Ebay for $280-380 and for the life of me I can't imagine it's worth anywhere near that much, but I don't know anything about the market. Is this worth trying to clean up and sell? She'd love the money, so anything she can get for it would be great.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mediaphage posted:

One of Toshiba's Ultrabooms that premiered at IDF last year had a magnesium case. It was quite nice, build quality-wise. Too bad the screen was awful, though.

T-Series ThinkPads have a magnesium rollcage. Again most of the screens are pretty bad though.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

dissss posted:

T-Series ThinkPads have a magnesium rollcage. Again most of the screens are pretty bad though.

Never buying a laptop without an IPS screen again. Lenovo does have some but they're not advertised well.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Oh man, my old boss would have your head if he a) knew who you were and b) saw that the top shield was bent instead of completely removed. I think he lived exclusively to yell at people for that.

(I do it all the time now when I see iBooks. gently caress all those extra screws.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sonic Dude posted:

Oh man, my old boss would have your head if he a) knew who you were and b) saw that the top shield was bent instead of completely removed. I think he lived exclusively to yell at people for that.

(I do it all the time now when I see iBooks. gently caress all those extra screws.)

Someone had opened this fucker up already, it was pre-bent and some OWC RAM was in it.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Ninja Rope posted:

My girlfriend received a used MB062LL/A and neither her nor I know anything about Macs.
I've seen these for sale on Ebay for $280-380 and for the life of me I can't imagine it's worth anywhere near that much, but I don't know anything about the market.

Is this worth trying to clean up and sell? She'd love the money, so anything she can get for it would be great.

They are always worth selling, especially in a reasonable working condition. You're looking at an easy 100 or more.

You can even copy this guys ebaY format -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-13-3-Laptop-MB062LL-A-May-2007-/180967863295?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item2a228673ff

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ninja Rope posted:

My girlfriend received a used MB062LL/A and neither her nor I know anything about Macs. She'd like to sell it and get some money for it because she's a super poor college student, but the laptop isn't in great condition. It's dirty and there's a white spot (backlight coming through?) on the screen, and I had to remove one stick of RAM to get it to boot. I can't tell if the RAM slot is dirty or bador what, but right now it's running with 512M of RAM.

I've seen these for sale on Ebay for $280-380 and for the life of me I can't imagine it's worth anywhere near that much, but I don't know anything about the market. Is this worth trying to clean up and sell? She'd love the money, so anything she can get for it would be great.

You could probably get $300 for it if you max out the RAM

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

mediaphage posted:

The Dell Latitude 6420 (and 30's) started using magnesium cases and it just feels cheap especially compared to the 6400 and 6410 models. The switch is actually why I ended up switching to a macbook pro at work. I felt like I was going to break the drat dell lugging it to the data center, not to mention it didn't feel that much lighter than the prior metal body versions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Which made no drat sense because the top of the case that holds the screen is made out of plastic and if you breathe on it, it makes the screen wobble.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I'm looking to buy my first own personal Macbook, my family has always had macs but I've never had my own.

I came her to ask what you guys would recommend. I'm starting an Animation course at uni next year, so I'm thinking a 15-inch Macbook Pro because I'll need to be running Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop etc. a fair amount of the time. The Uni uses the newest iMacs running on book camp so I'll probably need to get Windows as well.

Another think I would like to do on it would be light gaming, like TF2, CK2 and maybe what ever indie bundle Steam tricks me into buying. Is this a feasible idea? Or should I just focus on using it for school stuff for now and somehow build a cheap gaming PC down the road.

You can get away with the non retina for Maya but it might be easier to work with it although I don't know how well that works if Maya UI is totally unscaled and super tiny.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Slippery Nipple posted:

The Uni uses the newest iMacs running on book camp so I'll probably need to get Windows as well.

I love Macs and all but this sounds like a good case of 'Just buy a drat PC laptop'

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

I love Macs and all but this sounds like a good case of 'Just buy a drat PC laptop'

I was going to say the same too but if he/she is serious about animation then having some *nix experience helps as both big players in that industry are using linux.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I've googled for a bit and this seems to be the answer, am I correct in that with Mountain Lion it's impossible to use a Windows shared folder as a Time Machine drive?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It'd be perfect. It's possible you will miss the quad-core i7 that you currently have.

Just popping back in to say that you were right. I was afraid this machine would be the perfect size, but have some other sort of shortcoming, like it would chugg while running STS + a VM + Araxis, etc... I was expecting a well defined breaking point, and yet, nothing has caused the machine to even break a sweat. It's astounding.

At any given point, I'm running:

-Several browsers
-1 or 2 STS workspaces
-2 Tomcat instances
-Postgres
-Apache2
-Versions
-Sparrow
-Araxis Merge

And the machine doesn't even flinch.

1366x768 is kinda balls, but I think any higher on an 11" panel would cause eye strain.

At this point my SB i7 MBP sits at home, connected to an external monitor. I can't imagine a reason for wanting to use that machine over the air unless I wanted much, much more storage or RAM.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Drogadon posted:

I've googled for a bit and this seems to be the answer, am I correct in that with Mountain Lion it's impossible to use a Windows shared folder as a Time Machine drive?

Hell, I think that's the case since Lion.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Drogadon posted:

AFAIK you can do it, but you have to use a terminal command to make Time Machine show unsupported networked drives, and create up a sparsebundle on that particular network share. Time Machine requires a lot of HFS+/hard linking fuckery to work, but using a sparsebundle gets around this handily by letting you create a virtual filesystem in a .dmg file.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

movax posted:

Hell, I think that's the case since Lion.

That's quite lovely, I refuse to spend $300 on a Time Capsule even if it looks like a pretty cool piece of hardware.

edit:

Voodoo Cafe posted:

AFAIK you can do it, but you have to use a terminal command to make Time Machine show unsupported networked drives, and create up a sparsebundle on that particular network share. Time Machine requires a lot of HFS+/hard linking fuckery to work, but using a sparsebundle gets around this handily by letting you create a virtual filesystem in a .dmg file.

Ah cool, will look into this. Nothing close to "just works" though :laugh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drogadon posted:

Ah cool, will look into this. Nothing close to "just works" though :laugh:
Most things don't "just work" as soon as you try to leave the Apple ecosystem, especially when trying to get Apple proprietary features working with third-party solutions.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust my backups to a hacked together solution.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Most things don't "just work" as soon as you try to leave the Apple ecosystem, especially when trying to get Apple proprietary features working with third-party solutions.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust my backups to a hacked together solution.

When I was trying to keep my sparebundle on an NTFS share, it would routinely corrupt and have to be rebuilt.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah I don't really want to do that, guess I'll have to stick with my usb hard drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What do people do for Mac backups in businesses, then?

1) Give everyone a USB drive
2) 'Save your poo poo to the server dummy'
3) Use some probably-terrible 3rd party backup app
4) ?

It'd be nice if Time Machine somehow worked with generic network storage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I store my poo poo on my mac and use time machine. Network shares are the responsibility of the server owner.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wouldn't there be a problem with windows shares since they don't allow the same charset as HFS so you could have a file called 'thi$::is::&::great::filename.*nix.haha' and that won't fly on a windows share if that share is NTFS or something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bob Morales posted:

4) ?

Looks like OS X server can appear as a valid TM backup location to its client Macs: http://www.apple.com/osx/server/features/#time-machine

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't really checked ever but has Apple been less and less involved with corporate and enterprise deployments of its OS just like how its been waning on its Pro apps?

:tinfoil: Maybe the thinking is that the more people use it at work the more they won't want to use it at home and there are way more home user customers than corporate.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I haven't really checked ever but has Apple been less and less involved with corporate and enterprise deployments of its OS just like how its been waning on its Pro apps?
Well, they did quit making those Xserve thingies

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

4) ?

Among other solutions, BRU Backup and EMC Retrospect are used at a lot of smaller companies and studios, and they work fine, along with shared drives hooked up via OS X Server, please limit your trolling to poo poo you actually deal with, than imagining the greater Mac community as a whole being forced to use 'probably-terrible' backup apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Among other solutions, BRU Backup and EMC Retrospect are used at a lot of smaller companies and studios, and they work fine, along with shared drives hooked up via OS X Server, please limit your trolling to poo poo you actually deal with, than imagining the greater Mac community as a whole being forced to use 'probably-terrible' backup apps.

I asked because I had no idea what options there were. Everyone here uses a mixture of 1 and 2 because they don't know any better. I imagine having 20+ users using the same Mac Mini server as a Time Machine target wouldn't end well, so I'm always open to a solution that works.

To be fair, the general opinion of small business backup software is that it's all terrible. I know Backup Exec gets poo poo on a lot from my time as a Windows admin, but I also know that's unfair because nobody bothers to set it up right.