Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

the trump tutelage posted:

It's closer to $200.00 in Canada unfortunately, from what I've seen.

Yeah, Baratza enforces a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) policy, meaning you're generally going to find them all at around the same price, because if you go too low they won't supply you any more. I think we sell it at $185 CAD. Another to consider is the Capresso Infinity at around $170 but to be frank if I was spending that much anyway and was only worried about drip I'd eat the extra $15 and get the Baratza.

I'll add that for drip quantities manual grinding goes from a quiet meditative experience to a real chore very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
How's the Breville Smart Grinder Pro, then?

I'm reluctant to go out of pocket for a grinder at this point when I can get one with this free money. Buuut if the Breville is crap or will need replacing in a year I may as well bite the Baratza bullet.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The Breville is pretty nice for its price point. I picked up the previous generation about 2.5 years ago and it runs great.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Also quite satisified with my Breville so far (8 months). As I brought up earlier in the thread, it takes a bit of fumbling around whenever I change bean type, but then I assume that's a problem with any grinder.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

Lube banjo posted:

as a forever-alone guy who drinks 2-3 cups per day and is lazy, I'm looking at one of these two coffee makers. Is there a reason to go with the more expensive Moccamaster? Both seem to have temperature control

Bonavita 5 cup

and Moccamaster Cup-One

The short answer is that the moccamaster has better build quality, but ultimately they both can make great coffee.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

the trump tutelage posted:

How's the Breville Smart Grinder Pro, then?

I'm reluctant to go out of pocket for a grinder at this point when I can get one with this free money. Buuut if the Breville is crap or will need replacing in a year I may as well bite the Baratza bullet.
Both grinders will eventually need parts/service out of warranty; in the US Baratza is the clear winner in this regard but it may be different up North. I'd look into that before committing either way.

Jan posted:

Also quite satisified with my Breville so far (8 months). As I brought up earlier in the thread, it takes a bit of fumbling around whenever I change bean type, but then I assume that's a problem with any grinder.
It's not a "problem" per se, grinders always have to be dialed in to whatever beans are being used. If you change beans you have to dial them in again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Finally got some time the Baratza Sette's. Feels... kind of cheap? The display on the W feels like I could peel off the aluminum bezel around the LCD with a fingernail. Works fine, though retains about 0.4gr in the hopper/works. Also the feet are uneven on the bottom of the case, and the weight sensor really really needs it to be flat when operating or it freaks all the hell out. All of ours have had the updated/proper portafilter forks though.

What's interesting to see is that they're really hard to find right now. Only one guy on Amazon is selling them, and he's selling them 2-3 weeks out, which means he doesn't have any on hand and is probably hoping Baratza will fulfill in time to save his rear end on any orders placed. There's one optimistic soul selling one on eBay for just over $1,000. Our entire stock was basically reserved out a month before we even got them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any especially good sub-$100 grinders for drip quantities? I'm used to lovely dirt cheap ones so I was hoping I could get something decent for 50-75 or so. Is that unrealistic? I don't need total hardcore coffee snob levels.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The Capresso Infinity.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got a V60 to go with my aeropress and French press. I just need a chemex now and I'll be set.

Anyone here use the V60?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Frankston posted:

I got a V60 to go with my aeropress and French press. I just need a chemex now and I'll be set.

Anyone here use the V60?

Yeah?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Frankston posted:

Anyone here use the V60?

Everything you need to know about brewing with a V60.

e: vvvvv
that one looks serious, though. :v:

Jan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 16, 2016

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Jan posted:

By now I feel like I should know better than to click on any vimeo link in this thread, but you got me again. That said, There's a new contender.

Putting goofy videos aside, I myself have brewed thousands of v60s. If you have any questions about it I can at least offer some perspective.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jan posted:

e: vvvvv
that one looks serious, though. :v:

I don't want a V60 anymore.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I switched up from brown Melitta #4s to white #4s for my CCD just because that's what the local coffee shop had at the time.

With all other factors being the same, my drip times with the white filters is all over the place, with these white filters taking 2 - 3 minutes longer to empty into my cup.

What the gently caress is going on? Is this just a bad batch of filters, though I doubt that's even a thing? The coffee bean, roast, grind, and method are all the same. My last cup in the morning with the brown filter was spot on and my afternoon cup was hosed with the new filter. Should I try a new box of filters?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Not saying this will fix it, but are you rinsing the filters?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

HappyHippo posted:

Not saying this will fix it, but are you rinsing the filters?

yup, rinsing with hot water just like I'd do with the brown filters.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
London Coffee Festival tickets are on sale for 6th-9th April 2017 if any UK goons want to go. There's still some heavily discounted super early bird tickets left for sale but not for much longer I suspect.

The Coffee Masters competition will be running throughout the festival and it's absolutely awesome to watch if you've never seen one before. I think they're also running the UK barista championship and the UK brewing championship throughout the festival again, like they did before.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Would totally recommend. Did NY Coffee Fest this year and it was a blast.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Finally got some time the Baratza Sette's. Feels... kind of cheap? The display on the W feels like I could peel off the aluminum bezel around the LCD with a fingernail. Works fine, though retains about 0.4gr in the hopper/works. Also the feet are uneven on the bottom of the case, and the weight sensor really really needs it to be flat when operating or it freaks all the hell out. All of ours have had the updated/proper portafilter forks though.

What's interesting to see is that they're really hard to find right now. Only one guy on Amazon is selling them, and he's selling them 2-3 weeks out, which means he doesn't have any on hand and is probably hoping Baratza will fulfill in time to save his rear end on any orders placed. There's one optimistic soul selling one on eBay for just over $1,000. Our entire stock was basically reserved out a month before we even got them.

We actually got a Sette not-w at work today and I spent a significant amount of time with it. The thing sounds like someone screaming into a paper shredder, but it does the thing it's supposed to do pretty well. The timer was dosing pretty consistently (like.. within a half a gram or so), and the grind itself seemed pretty consistent too.

I totally agree on the build quality, though. It feels cheap as heck, though this is frankly a complaint I have about baratza grinders in general. My biggest build issue is that they put in that piece to sit on top of the portafilter to hold it in place, but it's way too low to actually fit any of the portafilters I had access to. I had to hold the portafilter to grind, which isn't a big deal (since that's what I have to do with literally every other grinder I work with). Someone else might find it more troublesome. The coarse adjustment was a little tricky to work, but the fine adjustment dial was real nice.

Edit: The buttons on the faceplate suck, too. Holy poo poo I almost forgot. There's a significant delay on them so good luck if you want just a little bit of espresso.

Overall, it seems great as a reasonably priced home espresso grinder. We'll see how long it holds up with a bunch of working baristas beating the poo poo out of it. I also haven't used it to grind for filter coffee, so we'll see how that goes, too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

qutius posted:

I switched up from brown Melitta #4s to white #4s for my CCD just because that's what the local coffee shop had at the time.

With all other factors being the same, my drip times with the white filters is all over the place, with these white filters taking 2 - 3 minutes longer to empty into my cup.

What the gently caress is going on? Is this just a bad batch of filters, though I doubt that's even a thing? The coffee bean, roast, grind, and method are all the same. My last cup in the morning with the brown filter was spot on and my afternoon cup was hosed with the new filter. Should I try a new box of filters?

got new filters, problem went away :shrug:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

qutius posted:

got new filters, problem went away :shrug:

Weird, maybe it was just a lovely box.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Little slice of life update on our Quick Mill Vetrano 2B that became the new shop daily driver after replacing the ECM Elektronika Profi ii:

Place was closed for lunch so I was by myself and setting up a shot on the Vetrano. Then the phone rang, talked to the guy for a few minutes, ambled back to my desk. Then I realized "holy poo poo I left the shot running this whole time". Ran out to the machine, cup is just overflowing, luckily the Vetrano has a very big (and plumbable) drip tray so there was no mess. Looked at the shot timer, just over 360 seconds. Looked at the pressure, rock solid at 10 bar, temperature down a little bit to 90. The thing ran for 6 minutes without exploding, losing too much pressure, and was still able to keep water relatively hot. These things are ace.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It's getting too cold to roast outside anymore, so I'm subjected to buying roasted beans.

What are some of the good ones that don't cost an arm and a leg? I use the coffee for French press and pour over.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Any UK goons recommend a travel mug that will keep coffee hot for a while, I.e a few hours. Don't want one with a handle as it won't fit in my car cup holder.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

sex swing from IKEA posted:

It's getting too cold to roast outside anymore, so I'm subjected to buying roasted beans.

What are some of the good ones that don't cost an arm and a leg? I use the coffee for French press and pour over.

Get beans from local roasters and they will be fresh and you will be supporting local businesses.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm in Boston-I haven't been too impressed with local roasters to be honest. If someone has a good recommendation, then go for it. Houston had a ton of good roasters but Boston seems lacking from what I've seen.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

George Howell. Roasts in Acton, shop at Boston Public Market.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

sex swing from IKEA posted:

I'm in Boston-I haven't been too impressed with local roasters to be honest. If someone has a good recommendation, then go for it. Houston had a ton of good roasters but Boston seems lacking from what I've seen.

You could try the beans from Esselon Cafe -- They're out in Western MA but you can buy online so they should only be a day ship point for you.

http://www.esselon.com/

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
My wife and I want to get a French press (well she wants a drip brewer and I want a French press) to make coffee in a slightly more efficient way than taking 10 minutes with the single CCD we have. We don't drink a ton, but it looks like all the best reviewed ones or ones in the OP are 8 cups. This may be dumb, but could we just use one of those to make a half batch? It'd be nice to have the larger one for when people were over. We're coffee rookies for sure, so any help is appreciated!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It's fine. As long as you have your water/coffee ratios right it's all good.

Question for coffee bros: how do I break my crippling cream-and-sugar-in-coffee addiction? I've cut down to basically half a teaspoon of sugar and about the same amount of creamer but I just can't get myself to drinking black coffee. I'm a heretic, I know.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

Question for coffee bros: how do I break my crippling cream-and-sugar-in-coffee addiction? I've cut down to basically half a teaspoon of sugar and about the same amount of creamer but I just can't get myself to drinking black coffee. I'm a heretic, I know.

Try lighter roasts and get the freshest highest quality coffee available.
If that doesn't work, then drink coffee the way you like it.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

a mysterious cloak posted:

ok awesome! And also drink your coffee how you like it. Coffee with cream and sugar is delicious. Black coffee is also delicious. Starbucks/Dutch Bros less so, but if you like drink it!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bengy81 posted:

Try lighter roasts and get the freshest highest quality coffee available.
If that doesn't work, then drink coffee the way you like it.

Pretty much this. I always taste my coffee before adding anything. Sometimes I don't need sugar, sometimes I don't need cream, sometimes I want both. Sometimes to mask something I don't like, sometimes to enhance a good cup. I have a sweet tooth, though. I do the same to tea.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Iron Lung posted:

My wife and I want to get a French press (well she wants a drip brewer and I want a French press) to make coffee in a slightly more efficient way than taking 10 minutes with the single CCD we have. We don't drink a ton, but it looks like all the best reviewed ones or ones in the OP are 8 cups. This may be dumb, but could we just use one of those to make a half batch? It'd be nice to have the larger one for when people were over. We're coffee rookies for sure, so any help is appreciated!

You don't have to fill a press, it should be fine. I like to push the plunger down to just above the water level while it's brewing in the hopes of preserving some heat, not sure if it makes much difference (probably not).

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
With a French press, how long should I wait before pushing the plunger the rest of the way down? Would that be determined by how strong I want it?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Pioneer42 posted:

With a French press, how long should I wait before pushing the plunger the rest of the way down? Would that be determined by how strong I want it?

When I was using my press, I'd do about 4 minutes IIRC.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I think I give up on trying to make french press. No matter what I do, it comes out very... meh.

Using 1:16 ratio, grinding coarse, stirring after a minute to settle the beans, steeping for 6.

I think a lot of it is my grinder -- I'm grinding on the coarsest setting, but it ends up being a mix of super fine grind and big chunks... not very consistent at all. Do you guys agree?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rockcity posted:

The Capresso Infinity.

Is that twice as good as this Cuisinart? I'm not a super crazy coffee purist, and wouldn't mind paying half unless I'll seriously regret it somehow.

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_HOXnyb7Q47PYF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I had that cuisinart and hated it-I can't remember the grind quality but that fucker was so loud.