Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

runchild posted:

Huh, I was just at the store down the street and there was definitely a couple of sixers of Hopslam just chillin' in the fridge. I'm not usually a fan of IPAs so I left it alone, I didn't realize it was that coveted. I am not a very good beer geek I guess. That same store still has a stash of Two Brothers Red Eye coffee porter though, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Not bad! I think I could probably find a few around me, but it was kind of a situation where I was more blown away by the fact it sold so much so fast than me getting it at all. Also a comment on how sometimes being a regular pays off (see it selling out and they hold ya one for a few hours to see if you stop in). Oh god, I'm a regular at a liquor store.

@danbanana that is a good way to look at it. I would have also been all over a 750 for that price.
Now I just have to find a time to drink my single bottle of it. Maybe birthday with a buddy haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I was lucky enough to find two more six packs of one of my favorite beers - Brown Shugga. With a few months age on it, it definitely starts to taste more like a barleywine than an IPA. I still enjoy it greatly, but I think I like it most when fresh. I wish all beers were as good of a deal as Lagunitas's offerings, they're all such great quality, and at a great price.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

runchild posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Kona's Koko Nut Brown? Triton just tapped some and I was thinking of checking it out this weekend.

i think it sucks, but if you're gonna drink it anyway... enjoy?

edit- i remember it tasting more like some sort of weird, artificial, beer-flavored coconut drink than actual beer, but i can't be certain because that was months back and i dumped it quickly. i love both coconut and Maui's Coconut Porter, so it wasn't a problem with the idea.

drank a HF Anna this evening and, like all their saisons, really enjoyed it. light and crisp with a nice tartness, lemony/citrus flavors and a pleasant touch of funk. unlike, say, Dupont's Biere de Miel, i didn't get much honey, except maybe as some light floral notes, but i'm hardly complaining.

oh, and i had some 2008 Bigfoot on draft with lunch today, that was cool.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 18, 2013

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

funkybottoms posted:

i think it sucks, but if you're gonna drink it anyway... enjoy?

Care to elaborate?

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

The Binny's in Lakeview had tons of Hopslam, at least 20 cases when I was there at 8:00 pm. Also grabbed some Gumballhead. A good beer night.

Edit: Also, I have a bare wall in my new apartment that needs something and one of my ideas was to get a framed poster of a beer label or something. My first guess was Big Hugs from Half Acre, but does anyone have any good ideas for bottle art that would look good on a wall?

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 18, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

What It Dooski posted:

Edit: Also, I have a bare wall in my new apartment that needs something and one of my ideas was to get a framed poster of a beer label or something. My first guess was Big Hugs from Half Acre, but does anyone have any good ideas for bottle art that would look good on a wall?

Hopslam has one of my absolute favorite pieces of bottle art, as well as most Three Floyd beers. Hoptimum looks pretty cool as well, but I guess it all just depends on your taste in art. Go with whatever you think looks best!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://www.westcoastersd.com/2013/01/17/brite-tank-theft-at-alpine-beer-co/

Apparently, Alpine Beer Co., which is building an expansion in the area, just had a 30 barrel brite tank stolen from the expansion area. I think that qualifies as a "heist" rather than a theft. WTF do you do with a stolen 30 barrel brite tank anyways? Sure, there's 60 breweries in town, but I'm fairly sure none of them are looking to buy a fenced 30 barrel brite tank.

That said, there's always been something a little "off" about Alpine for me. I don't know what it is. They make great beer, but the way they do business is just...off. Like, the tiny bungalow in the middle of a street that's always under construction, the weird insane owner's rants about only San Diegans having the right to their beer, the bizarro hype releases followed by secret Exponential releases and not to mention the fact that all of their beer uniformly costs more than Sculpin, even the non-IPAs. Its all very weird how they do business.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Kudosx posted:

Hopslam has one of my absolute favorite pieces of bottle art, as well as most Three Floyd beers. Hoptimum looks pretty cool as well, but I guess it all just depends on your taste in art. Go with whatever you think looks best!

I also love Hopslam's art. I'd say I'm looking for something like what 3F does or Half Acre in terms of overall style. Thanks for your input.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

What It Dooski posted:

I'd say I'm looking for something like what 3F does

you could always buy a Manowar poster...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

What It Dooski posted:

I also love Hopslam's art. I'd say I'm looking for something like what 3F does or Half Acre in terms of overall style. Thanks for your input.

If you're into that whole over-the-top thing, these new dogfish prints might be up your alley:

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/dogfishs-2013-artist-an-overnight-success-20-years-in-the-making.htm

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

cryme posted:

If you're into that whole over-the-top thing, these new dogfish prints might be up your alley:

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/dogfishs-2013-artist-an-overnight-success-20-years-in-the-making.htm

Yeah, give it to me. Those aren't half bad, not exactly my color palette, but I dig the three eyed dogs. And I'm a 23 year old guy living by myself for the first time so my taste in "art" probably really sucks. I just need some weird poo poo on the walls. A poster of Buckethead drinking a Hopslam would be almost perfect.

In actual beer chat. is 50/50 Eclipse worth the $30? The Binny's by me has tons of it.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Depends on which version of Eclipse it is, but i'd say probably not.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

What It Dooski posted:

In actual beer chat. is 50/50 Eclipse worth the $30? The Binny's by me has tons of it.

I've only had last year's 12 year. Good but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay half of what they ask for it. For half the price, you can get a 4 pack of CW's BBS which is superior in just about every way.

RE: 3F's art... Ugh. Awful. Even Cal Queen, which I like the actual art, is a terribly designed label. If Half Acre sold posters of all the Big Hugs labels, I'd buy those in a second.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

I've only had last year's 12 year. Good but I wouldn't go out of my way to pay half of what they ask for it. For half the price, you can get a 4 pack of CW's BBS which is superior in just about every way.

RE: 3F's art... Ugh. Awful. Even Cal Queen, which I like the actual art, is a terribly designed label. If Half Acre sold posters of all the Big Hugs labels, I'd buy those in a second.

Yeah, I might just wait for this years Big Hugs.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think for overall style Great Divide and Rogue have some of my favorite labels, I just like the simplicity of it I guess. For actual wall art I don't think they would be preferred. I like a lot of the Bell's labels which could potentially work. There is always Flying Dog if you are also a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas fan.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

What It Dooski posted:

Yeah, I might just wait for this years Big Hugs.

You know that came out last month, right? I know HA is out; You might be able to find it around somewhere else. Maybe.

The label this year is nearly as good as last.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What It Dooski: You should buy this- http://popchartlab.com/collections/prints/products/the-very-very-many-varieties-of-beer because it's awesome and someday I'll buy one and frame it and put it up in my beer room.

I have a label from Half Acre's Akari Shogun that I framed up, looks pretty fab too. The guys that work at HA are always super nice, I asked if I could have an unused label to frame and they gave me two right off the sticker roll. I'm also in the process of making some wall art from bottle caps. Maybe I'll take a few pics.

Off topic but What It Dooski are you a Michigan alum or is that just a coincidental block M?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

http://www.westcoastersd.com/2013/01/17/brite-tank-theft-at-alpine-beer-co/

Apparently, Alpine Beer Co., which is building an expansion in the area, just had a 30 barrel brite tank stolen from the expansion area. I think that qualifies as a "heist" rather than a theft. WTF do you do with a stolen 30 barrel brite tank anyways? Sure, there's 60 breweries in town, but I'm fairly sure none of them are looking to buy a fenced 30 barrel brite tank.

That's a lot of scrap metal. I can't imagine how one would easily steal one of those, though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aww hell yeah, there was some Ruthless Rye sitting at the grocery store when I went to pick up some food. Now I'm going to accomplish nothing today because I'm going to down this six-pack instead of doing things.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Oh poo poo. HA DOES SELL BIG HUGS POSTERS!

http://www.zazzle.com/big_hugs_2011_poster-228057785960791756

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Kudosx posted:

I was lucky enough to find two more six packs of one of my favorite beers - Brown Shugga. With a few months age on it, it definitely starts to taste more like a barleywine than an IPA. I still enjoy it greatly, but I think I like it most when fresh. I wish all beers were as good of a deal as Lagunitas's offerings, they're all such great quality, and at a great price.

I drank the last of the 3 six packs I bought this year last night, watching the "snow" come down in NC. The hops were fading and the burnt brown suger was really coming to the forefront; it's quite different with just a few months age on it. I couldn't tell you which I prefer though, fresh or aged.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

You know that came out last month, right? I know HA is out; You might be able to find it around somewhere else. Maybe.

The label this year is nearly as good as last.

Yeah, I still have a bottle. I was refering to the poster coming out cause they only had last years for sale if I remember correctly.

And Sirotan, I'm just a michigan fan. I actually graduated from Ohio State oddly enough.

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 18, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

What It Dooski posted:

And Sirotan, I'm just a michigan fan. I actually graduated from Ohio State oddly enough.

Traitor! Did you ever go to Weasel Boy Brewing when you were still in OH?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Founders / Southern Tier confirmed for TX :woop:

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I tried to once, but they were closed (Saturday morning). I've met Mr. Weasel boy (him and his wife are ferret people) a few times. He's a nice guy and their stout is pretty solid.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

What It Dooski posted:

I tried to once, but they were closed (Saturday morning). I've met Mr. Weasel boy (him and his wife are ferret people) a few times. He's a nice guy and their stout is pretty solid.

Cool, thanks for the prompt response. They don't distribute their beers anywhere outside of the Columbus area that I know of (And I'm pretty sure it's kegs only as is), so I've been considering making a day trip down there to try out some of their stouts.

I'm kind of jealous of the beers you guys receive in Chicago... I want some Firestone Walker and BCBS!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I met him at GABF. Pretty good beer. Beard + brewing + ferrets pretty much completes the "eccentric hipster" picture (speaking from personal experience here).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Founders / Southern Tier confirmed for TX :woop:

Keep in mind that's Austin/Dallas and no Houston. I don't really see why people from Houston feel the need to proclaim their entitlement across BA too. To me it's like biting the hand that feeds and I figure, just be glad the breweries are expanding distribution to our state. No sense in bitching that you got "left out" when I'm sure there are perfectly sound business reasons for the decision.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Kudosx posted:

Cool, thanks for the prompt response. They don't distribute their beers anywhere outside of the Columbus area that I know of (And I'm pretty sure it's kegs only as is), so I've been considering making a day trip down there to try out some of their stouts.

I'm kind of jealous of the beers you guys receive in Chicago... I want some Firestone Walker and BCBS!

Yeah, they were kegs only last time I checked. That goes for almost all of the new columbus breweries. Be on the lookout for bottles from The Actual Brewing Company soonthough. They'll be opening soon and will be doing 750's. Their (prototype) french ale was great.

And Chicago definitely has some great beer you can't get in ohio. Wookie Jack for $6 or $7 is disgusting. Although no more white Raja over here.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

I don't really see why people from Houston feel the need to proclaim their entitlement across BA too.

It's because plainly Houston is the best city in TX if only people would just give it a shot and :smithmouth:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Kudosx posted:

I love Lagunitas for their consistency. Nothing I've had from them has been the best thing ever, but almost everything has been at minimum good, and their seasonals are almost always the best six-packs around. Brown Shugga is probably at the top of that list, though Lil' Sumpin' Wild and Lagunitas Sucks both give it a run for its money.

Pretty new brewery - Gigantic's labels are rad. They have been using a variety of local/regional artists, so each label has a different style.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
For San Diego area-goons, its the O'Brien's TION night (which is basically just the Russian River tap takeover). It's pretty much the only night of the year O'Briens gets overly crowded other than a) nights they have KR Citra or b) Pliny the Younger. It's kind of neat if you really want all of RR's sours for less than 12 bucks a piece and/or to try the other weird Erudition, Mortification, etc. beers you rarely see.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

For San Diego area-goons, its the O'Brien's TION night (which is basically just the Russian River tap takeover). It's pretty much the only night of the year O'Briens gets overly crowded other than a) nights they have KR Citra or b) Pliny the Younger. It's kind of neat if you really want all of RR's sours for less than 12 bucks a piece and/or to try the other weird Erudition, Mortification, etc. beers you rarely see.

This always comes up on nights I have plans, I remember the same thing last year. I have a lot of friends with birthdays in January, that seems to do me in.

As for your previous musings on Alpine, I get the impression that Pat's just a mountain man who wants to make his booze in peace but also realizes he has to make a living and this is his route to do so. I think he'd be more at home out in a remote wooded area in West Virginia, Maine or Vermont making moonshine and giving all governmental institutions a permanent middle finger.

On the other side, on their website they now post exactly what's on tap in the bar and brewery so no more calling and getting Cranky Pat on the line or squinting to try and read the whiteboard from the webcam.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Looks like Southern Tier has 3 new beers coming out in April, they all seem pretty interesting. Compass is gonna be in 22oz bottles, it sounds like a saison or something similar brewed with rose hips and champagne yeast. Plum Noir (think that's the name) is a Blackwater series in six packs, imperial porter brewed with Italian plums. 2XSteam is an 8% steam beer in six packs. Compass sounds the best to me, the rose hips apparently add some decent bitterness.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'm getting ready to pop open a Supplication. Very excited.

E: Holy poo poo, that was good.

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 19, 2013

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I love Lagunitas for their consistency.

As far as I'm concerned, their New Dogtown Pale Ale is the most drinkable beer I've ever had. I buy it constantly.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

runchild posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Kona's Koko Nut Brown? Triton just tapped some and I was thinking of checking it out this weekend.

As promised I had it tonight and it's very mediocre. It's bland in every way with coconut being prominent but very restrained. The experience left me wanting more flavor from something. For the $8 I paid it's not bad, but I don't think it's worth buying. Their Pipeline Porter is though.

I'm drinking Brown Shugga now and it's okay, but all I can think of is this. I'm glad the hops have faded a bit as I wasn't a fan too fresh, it's a bit more balanced now but still has a firm hop presence.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Have I shilled for Jack's Abby recently? Because, drat, Jack's Abby is good stuff.

They are MA-only right now, and focused solely on lagers, not ales. Someone here sent me in the direction of their Octoberfest last fall, and it was outstanding. I just picked up a four-pack of their IPL (Hoponius Union) which was bottled a week before I bought it, and goddamn is that some good stuff.

I also love their RIPL Effect (Rye India Pale Lager) but the last bottle of it I got, from four months back, had some off flavors that I don't know enough about chemistry to identify. Or maybe my glass was just dirty or something. I'll buy it again but I'll try to find it fresher than that.

Here's an article in a local paper about them: http://thephoenix.com/Boston/food/150217-beeradvocate-jacks-abby-gets-larger/

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Jack's Abby fuckin' rules. I guess the brewer's parents grow hops in Vermont, and a lot of their barley comes local via Ma I believe, as well. Everything I've had by them was extremely well done, be it Smoke & Dagger Black Lager to their Oktoberfest or Hoponius Union like SnowDog noted which is the best Pale Lager I've ever had, by far.

I've also heard great things about Kiwi Rising their Double Pilsner which I have yet to try. I'm going to try to head up to Framingham soon to get some growlers, MA goons unite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Tonight I had a Midas Touch from Dogfish Head. A really interesting beer brewed with honey, barley, muscat grapes, and saffron. The ingredient list alone sold me. I kind of got away from Dogfish for a few years and I now regret that. They really have some unique beers. Also found a four pack of Breakfast stout at my usual shop. Bonus! All in all a great beer evening.