Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
This is the image for sulfur crested cockatoos on wikipedia, which I think sums up their behavior perfectly:

I wish we got them on the west coast, instead we get corellas who are assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I know there are a few shopping centres around where they have to fix signage most years because of damage by corellas.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Are they destructive towards your house or whatever? Like either just for fun, or because you weren't fast enough with the seeds so they destroy your porch until you come out and appease them?

they drop poo poo

pot plant on a table? that's getting dragged off

remember how i said they sort of peer in? they do that after they drop something to see if anyone noticed

GoldStandardConure posted:

This is the image for sulfur crested cockatoos on wikipedia, which I think sums up their behavior perfectly:

lmao

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I never realized wild cockatoos are so fearless, but I guess when you're on a continent without many predators and you have an impressive beak...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Frogmanv2 posted:

I know there are a few shopping centres around where they have to fix signage most years because of damage by corellas.

Little corellas are the smuggest looking cockatoo

Aug 24, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

continent without many predators

:cawg:

i literally petted one of the cockatoos today, they hate it but for some reason "take food from existing pile of food" is less interesting than "try to get the human to feed me" and the price of that is i'm going to pet them

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

GoldStandardConure posted:

Haha, I love this. They're like Kea except instead of just being smart they each embody the soul of the devil.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
loving Stupid Screaming Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHlkCBsUKLQ

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Video author posted:

At my old house we planted an almond tree thinking "we'll get free almonds every year it'll be sweet" but all we got was free loving flocks of cockatoos screaming every morning and eating all our loving almonds

Commenter posted:

If you think that's bad, you should hear my family's pet parrot. If it's in a bad mood and you leave him alone to use the bathroom or something, then get ready to hear screaming and squawking loud enough to be heard in every room of the house and probably for 10 meters outside the house.

Video author posted:

You poor person. Why would your family willingly subject themself to birds?

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

I love the one sitting at the top, looking all puffy and contented. "Ah. Cockatoo lyfe."

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I feel like the only reason why cockatiels aren't the same level of rear end in a top hat is that only the derp part of the cockatoo brain survived the shrinking process intact and only vestigial remains of trollbird remain.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
We live on the east coast, and had a large flock of rare black cockatoos that lived in this huge dead tree just behind the house where we lived for a time.

I used to get into screaming contests with them.

I used to find baby birds all the time, usually rainbow lorikeets (which are objectively the best bird), and once convinced a young crow to walk halfway home after me from the bus, at which point I got bored of gentle encouragements and just grabbed him. He was displeased, but enjoyed the mince dinner I had.

Been thinking recently about getting some form of bird, be it chickens or a more traditional bird, but not sure I can commit to the interactivity, though I know I'd enjoy it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

McGiggins posted:

I used to find baby birds all the time, usually rainbow lorikeets (which are objectively the best bird),

Only on the east coast. Over here they are a massive problem.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Only a monster doesn't love lorikeets.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sekkira posted:

Only a monster doesn't love lorikeets.

I own one, so I'm still on in he fence about loving them, but they are still a massive problem over here. They out compete for the best nesting spots with the native birds and are putting pressure on them that they really don't need.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I do recall seeing a shopping center roof in the south west literally covered with thousands of the little guys, and I thought that was pretty cool.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When I stayed at my uncle's place near Cairns, there was a flock of Cockatoos that would fly over us every day at 7am screaming their damned heads off. Welcome to paradise indeed.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
My suburb has thousands of rainbow lorikeets in it, along with a poo poo load of corellas and a lone solitary green Indian ring neck.

Its a very noisy place to live.

Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

loving Stupid Screaming Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHlkCBsUKLQ

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh my god, that reminds me i had one of those birds (wild)

it would flap down to my house like all the others and do that piteous "ehhhhhhh" whining noise because it wanted to be fed

but not food from the tray, oh no, it wanted to be handfed. except it wouldn't let me go near it, so it would beg the other cockatoos to feed it (who wouldn't do it because food is right there you dumb gently caress)

it's a baby who hasn't grown up, you can see it's making that noise at the other cockatoo in the video

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Dreggon posted:

it would beg the other cockatoos to feed it (who wouldn't do it because food is right there you dumb gently caress)

it's a baby who hasn't grown up, you can see it's making that noise at the other cockatoo in the video

Jade still does what we call her "Beggy wings" in the morning when we are getting ready for work (and thus not going to let her out) or on top of her cage for reasons I have yet to discern.

Crouch, tilt head up, wings halfway extended, flapflapflapflap

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Jade still does what we call her "Beggy wings" in the morning when we are getting ready for work (and thus not going to let her out) or on top of her cage for reasons I have yet to discern.

Crouch, tilt head up, wings halfway extended, flapflapflapflap
Auri does that exact same motion in the morning before I'm about to leave too. I've always thought of it as begging or something too as well, but also haven't ever figured out what she's doing.

Though she doesn't flap so much as her entire body trembles as she goes "waaarrrk!"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco does the wobblewings routine when he wants to be picked up or let out of his cage. And if we don't he just lets out a dissatisfied "bleh!" at us.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

We call them flappies, Ritz does it when he wants something but can't be bothered to fly to it. Pick me up, give me coconut water, take me where you are, bring me the brush so I can attack it without putting in much effort, etc.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My mum just told me about a blue female quaker thats free that belongs to a dead woman that her kids dont want to keep.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i can see this being a very bad idea

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ama begs when he wants me to carry him somewhere, usually so that he can stare into the bedroom or bathroom for a few seconds which was really important because ????.

All of our birds are giant (wo)man-babies.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

My mum just told me about a blue female quaker thats free that belongs to a dead woman that her kids dont want to keep.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i can see this being a very bad idea

Do it, IMO. Rescue the blue quaker gal.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

chthonic bell posted:

Do it, IMO. Rescue the blue quaker gal.

And then post pictures. :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Seriously, Quakers are awesome.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Sounds like a very good idea to the rest of us, and we outnumber you. Quaker!

(Though realistically why would it be a bad idea)

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Chili posted:

Seriously, Quakers are awesome.

:goshawk: Q-Q-Q-Q-QUAKER QUB :goshawk:

Aug 24, 2011

i assume you generally don't let them outside but does anyone know how well pet birds interact with wild birds?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dreggon posted:

i assume you generally don't let them outside but does anyone know how well pet birds interact with wild birds?

Poorly. The possibility for disease and parasite transmission alone makes it a very bad idea.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

I've determined that Ammy's favorite fruit is pineapple. :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

BloodWulfe posted:

So adorable! I love his beak color. :kimchi:

Posts like this make me want to immediately pet my own birb.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

BloodWulfe posted:

Such a tiny conure birb :3:

Dreggon posted:

When Ohtori goes out on the harness (not for a long time now though) at first he was frightened of pigeons, but that very quickly turned to ignoring them. Crows are always regarded with extreme suspicion. There aren't many other kinds of birds around

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I have determined that cockatoos make the worst begging sounds in the animal kingdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcqlveexTLA

aaaaaaaaaaaaa. aaaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6UGjqIvPMY

waaaaAAAHHHaaaHHHaaa

As cool as parrots are, I wouldn't want them as neighbors. Especially with their ever-hungry fledglings. Good thing that adult pet parrots don't make these cries when they want something from you!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My dad's cockatiel made that noise when we first brought it home, we called it "static bird"

It was horrible.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Eejit posted:

Poorly. The possibility for disease and parasite transmission alone makes it a very bad idea.

Not to mention that they have no flock to hang out with and have no idea how to survive in the wild by themselves.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
eeeeeh lookitdatlittlebirb :pusheen:

Aug 24, 2011

yep, definitely had one doing that a while back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its a bad idea because I already have a male Qauker and I like him being friends with me and not trying to impress a lady bird.

Also cost and time getting it to realise that her old humans not coming back and shes gotta be friends with me now. I'm not 100% sure i can do that, I've seen what Quakers do to people they are used too but don't handle them much, let alone a complete stranger.