Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/kitchenio/status/1432581666388594690?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spookykid posted:

I saw shock diamonds out of 4 GE-102's with my own eyes for the first time at the age of 22 and I had an honest-to-god religious experience, and I was wearing double hearing protection at the time. I was nearly a thousand meters away, and you could feel the reverberations through your chest. I almost fainted. It was an experience.

Last year I went to my first air show. It started out with all the relatively mild planes, like a B-24. Then the F-16 was scheduled.

It arrived with maybe 5 seconds of warning from the announcer. We were all positioned on the side of the runway, and the pilot entered by flying in from so low he was hidden behind the airport buildings and pulling a hard 90-degree turn right in front of the center of the audience. Just absolutely blitzed everyone off their feet.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:master:
https://twitter.com/Vomit_Dragon/status/1433628970835087369?s=20

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

spookykid posted:

I saw shock diamonds out of 4 GE-102's with my own eyes for the first time at the age of 22 and I had an honest-to-god religious experience, and I was wearing double hearing protection at the time. I was nearly a thousand meters away, and you could feel the reverberations through your chest. I almost fainted. It was an experience.

I was fortunate enough to watch a B-1 do a max power take off at Tinker AFB several years back and it's everything you describe and then some.

I live about 20 miles away from the base now and can still hear the big jets taking off every so often.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Alternative pants posted:

I was fortunate enough to watch a B-1 do a max power take off at Tinker AFB several years back and it's everything you describe and then some.

I live about 20 miles away from the base now and can still hear the big jets taking off every so often.

Haha that's where I was for that nearly 20 years ago. Near the building 3001 complex. If you ever get the chance to tour 3001, do it. It's a helluva complex.

spookykid has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Sep 4, 2021

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Alice Cooper is a piece of poo poo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

He is? I was never into his stuff so I wouldn't know, Lemmy was a goddamn treasure though.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

By popular demand posted:

He is? I was never into his stuff so I wouldn't know, Lemmy was a goddamn treasure though.

He campaigns for republicans and is best known for golf now. Wayne's World was 30 years ago and he was a joke then too lmao

Lemmy is pure and good. He should not have used the traitor flag for shock value or any other reason though, but to my knowledge he did not actively promote fascism in order to pay fewer taxes.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Lemmy moved across the street from his favorite bar. That was a life ambition of his. Lemmy can do no wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Lemmy is pure and good. He should not have used the traitor flag for shock value or any other reason though, but to my knowledge he did not actively promote fascism in order to pay fewer taxes.

He had a HUGE collection of Nazi memorabilia (as well as the other Axis countries) and frequently wore SS caps and iron crosses because he thought they looked cool

Lemmy posted:

From the beginning of time, the bad guys always had the best uniforms. Napoleon, the Confederates, the Nazis. They all had killer uniforms. I mean, the SS uniform is loving brilliant! They were the rock stars of that time. What you're gonna do? They just look good.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Napoleon was a bad guy? But...he was French...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

kings hated him

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Robobot posted:

Napoleon was a bad guy: he was French...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Napoleon climbed to the top on promises of liberty equality and fraternity only to crown himself emperor and bring back colonial slavery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

Napoleon climbed to the top on promises of liberty equality and fraternity only to crown himself emperor and bring back colonial slavery.

But who's to say if he was good or bad

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He had a HUGE collection of Nazi memorabilia (as well as the other Axis countries) and frequently wore SS caps and iron crosses because he thought they looked cool

One time someone on this very forum made an incredible effortpost into how the Nazis put so much effort into making their uniforms look beautiful, even though doing so came at enormous cost in terms of practicality. Every uniform had to be individually tailored for each solider. Does anyone have that post handy?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was wrong to do so. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because that kind of attitude was rampant in the 70s, but it allows actual nazis to hide behind that plausible deniability and that loving sucks. I don't think that Lemmy is on the record spouting racist poo poo. Alice Cooper on the other hand is currently alive and committed to installing fascism so I hope he suffers.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ariong posted:

One time someone on this very forum made an incredible effortpost into how the Nazis put so much effort into making their uniforms look beautiful, even though doing so came at enormous cost in terms of practicality. Every uniform had to be individually tailored for each solider. Does anyone have that post handy?

I was trying to find this same thing a week ago and some very clever goon remembered it was written up by Cessna in the milhist thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&userid=196675&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post513996717

This is just a part of it, they have lots of other really interesting posts in that thread :)

edit: the bit about the useless pockets was in a earlier thread -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872282&userid=196675#post489325432

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Sep 4, 2021

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

He was wrong to do so. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because that kind of attitude was rampant in the 70s, but it allows actual nazis to hide behind that plausible deniability and that loving sucks. I don't think that Lemmy is on the record spouting racist poo poo. Alice Cooper on the other hand is currently alive and committed to installing fascism so I hope he suffers.

He was asked about in his documentary. His response was great.

Interviewer: you own a lot of nazi memborbilia and even wear it. What do you say people who claim that youre promoting naziism and may even be a nazi yourself?
Lemmy: im not
The end

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Joan Jett is great.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I saw a doc about the stooges last night, the guitarist wore an iron cross and swastika armband on stage in the 70s. It was what you did to piss off your folks back then I think. His dad was into collecting this stuff and brought him along all the time, which seems a bit dodgy to me

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Didn't the Hell's Angels and other biker gangs use a similar(ly flimsy) defence for their use of the iron cross and other Nazi imagery? "It's just to freak out the squares," if memory serves me Hunter S Thompson wrote about this but I could be wrong.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

EoinCannon posted:

I saw a doc about the stooges last night, the guitarist wore an iron cross and swastika armband on stage in the 70s. It was what you did to piss off your folks back then I think. His dad was into collecting this stuff and brought him along all the time, which seems a bit dodgy to me

Souxie of the Banshees also got into trouble for wearing Nazi iconography later on in the mid-70’s, explaining that she just wanted to piss people off.

Not a good look, Sooz.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://i.imgur.com/9yIn8at.mp4

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Why bother opening the tab? He's already got it vented. Wasting valuable lovely beer by taking that extra couple seconds!

Oh I see, he's stuck at the standard angle

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I love bro grandma.Grand Bromma.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Keystoned posted:

He was asked about in his documentary. His response was great.

Interviewer: you own a lot of nazi memborbilia and even wear it. What do you say people who claim that youre promoting naziism and may even be a nazi yourself?
Lemmy: im not
The end

https://metalinjection.net/video/lemmys-timeless-advice-to-a-black-kid-whose-family-doesnt-respect-his-metal-tastes-still-holds-up-today
Here's some videos of Lemmy talking about his dislike for racism and Hitler and while he's still wearing the iron cross in one of them he seems sincere :shrug:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Punk and Metal definitely had an awkward period figuring out that the shock value that hate symbols give isn't something to aspire to.
Unless you happen to be G.G.Allin in which case get the gently caress out of my house this isn't a lavatory!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

El Spamo posted:

Wait, are you saying there some sort of bat out of hell?

For crying out loud.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

God drat, I loving hate that pants making GBS threads child fuckers cult status.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Can't avoid it I fear, that man is the butt of every single gross out joke imaginable. And also a butt in general.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

God drat, I loving hate that pants making GBS threads child fuckers cult status.

So I didn't know who this is and looked it up because of this post and ugh. Hard Same.
There's a difference between gross or agressive for Art (read: Gwar) and gross or agressive just because you can. gently caress that nasty poo poo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

G.G. Allin was less gross and aggressive because he could and more gross and aggressive because he couldn't not. Dude was a disaster of a human being.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I dunno what difference you are making here but almost all past music "rock" stars were gross, including Bowie. Everyone was on cocaine and had groupies. Very few would pass the milkshake test. GG at least was honest.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

doverhog posted:

GG at least was honest.

He would have hated you.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I mean, he would have hated me, too. Still though.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

doverhog posted:

I dunno what difference you are making here but almost all past music "rock" stars were gross, including Bowie. Everyone was on cocaine and had groupies. Very few would pass the milkshake test. GG at least was honest.

As far as I know Bowie never took a dump on stage and spit it into a crowd.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stairs posted:

As far as I know Bowie never took a dump on stage and spit it into a crowd.

Nah, Bowie, (who was an undeniable musical genius and queer icon etc.), just hosed multiple under age groupies.

There's also a weird quote from him about how he likes fascism or something similar.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Nah, Bowie, (who was an undeniable musical genius and queer icon etc.), just hosed multiple under age groupies.

There's also a weird quote from him about how he likes fascism or something similar.

Oh bet. That is absolutely nasty and not excuse able at all, I'm just saying that other guy was doing gross stuff *on stage*. Like Bowie I can see getting famous before anyone caught the bad, but how did Allin even get to the level he was at when it was so blatantly in your face nasty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Stairs posted:

Oh bet. That is absolutely nasty and not excuse able at all, I'm just saying that other guy was doing gross stuff *on stage*. Like Bowie I can see getting famous before anyone caught the bad, but how did Allin even get to the level he was at when it was so blatantly in your face nasty?

Fear? Curiosity? The knowledge that you could (allegedly) beat the gently caress out of him and no one would stop you?

A whole bunch of people video recorded his antics. The one that sticks out is him dog-cussing and then smacking this woman who was interviewing him, whereupon a couple guys pop up and beat him to the ground, then everything continues as normal. Less, "Yeah, I should have done that.", more, "That's exactly what I expected to happen."