Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
to the guy reading bizarre books, you should also maybe try to find harmony korine's book A Crackup at the Race Riots, it's basically the same sort of thing and it's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Richard Brautigan might work as well--Trout Fishing in America does the whole 1-2 page disconnected, poetic chapters and In Watermelon Sugar is short + pretty and mindfucked the whole way through.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

But Hamlet Hamlet Hamlet should be read

How about seeing a performance of it instead?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Solitair posted:

How about seeing a performance of it instead?

I was gonna ask this

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Everyone cuts out Fortinbras, unfortunately rendering the performance invalid.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Everyone cuts out Fortinbras

they should come out forth in bras

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Don't eat the mold.

It all circles back in the end.

Is that even the answer? In that case you don't even need to read the book, since the explanation of that scene arrives in the next one (Hal as a kid).

But actually the rest of the book seems to suggest the mold wasn't directly responsible, it was instead the movie James was making. There's this idea that Infinite Jest was made *for* Hal. Hal being, like Wallace himself, a wonderboy set on his course. Extremely smart but unable to "feel". There are various scenes between James and Hal where James is very concerned by Hal and desperately trying to reach for his true personality, and failing. In some way this is Wallace putting his own hubris, along his praiseworthy qualities in Hal. Hal is broken, but so highly functional to be diagnosed as such.

So one interpretation of that first scene is that, through Infinite Jest, Hal is breaking apart from the inside. It's a short circuit. It's as if he's being derailed in the desperate attempt to awaken him as an actual human being like Mario instead of a machine like Wayne. In a similar way Wallace could have enjoyed a successful life as a most praised writer, but instead his own sensibility blocked that off.

And this: http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/ijend

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you can't find a decent performance of Hamlet watch the Branagh movie.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just read Steppenwolf and it was good. Better than Siddharta. I liked the part where he teleported into the future and joined the war against Skynet as a crack resistance sniper

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra but this translation is beyond awful I seriously don't understand anything unless I am too stupid for this book but I have read other Nietzche books and understood them well enough. Is it just the book being hard or me being a moron? Don't know if this is the right thread.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Ulio posted:

Been reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra but this translation is beyond awful I seriously don't understand anything unless I am too stupid for this book but I have read other Nietzche books and understood them well enough. Is it just the book being hard or me being a moron? Don't know if this is the right thread.

I've not actually read it so take this with a grain of salt, but as I understand it Zarathustra is Nietzsche's most difficult work. I am almost 100% certain Kaufmann's will be the best translation, though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
seeing a performance of hamlet will be great fun and illuminate the text but it is in no way equal to reading it. there will be vast chunks of the writing which you will miss due to the pace of the production. also, it will be a cut-down and edited script, so what you're seeing will not actually be hamlet

just read hamlet guys, poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
don't listen to Bob Dylan either just read the lyrics

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

don't listen to Bob Dylan

agreed

seeing a performance is an important part of understanding a shakespeare play, but it's secondary to the text itself for the reasons i noted above. if you see the RSC's 2009 Hamlet, you haven't approached Hamlet, you've approached the RSC's 2009 Hamlet

if you don't care about reading hamlet or why hamlet is important then don't read hamlet, but there's really no way to argue that seeing a production is just as good as reading the text

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I think Macbeth is very good, imo

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nanomashoes posted:

Hamlet watch the Branagh movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also the Kozintsev film.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's always value to seeing a play actually performed, particularly Shakespeare. Make sure it's a good production, though. Any production of Macbeth, for example, that doesn't make you want to fight at the end probably failed to grasp the qualities that it should have.

Beckett is another good example. Waiting for Godot was designed to be performed and the text lacks a lot of flourishes such as improv during Lucky's speech.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Also the works of Shakespeare we have are literally just one version that, with Shakespeare being a playwright and an entertainer, probably weren't the Ur-Text that people would imagine they are. Even reading the text you will not be reading Hamlet, rather the version of Hamlet that has been historically accepted to be Hamlet. Unless you saw an actual Shakespeare directed version of Hamlet, you actually haven't seen it

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Read and watch, it's not as if it's difficult to get hold of Shakespeare in 2016 AD

But Shakespeare is really good and not overrated at all, make time for the guy. There's times I wonder if the noise around him is more than he's worth, but he's really just that good

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He is good, but the wankery around how the text itself is the perfect manifestation of his work is probably the first step people take into the authorship conspiracy.

Hamlet in particular is funny because IIRC there's about three surviving revisions, so which of them is the definitive version? They all have different contents, so is the ultimate version a mishmash of all three? A single one takes precedent over the others? How can we be certain that there was a later version that hasn't survived which is the one Shakespeare actually intended?

Then there's the ur-Hamlet that might be an earlier draft or a play by a different writer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Rush Limbo posted:

Hamlet in particular is funny because IIRC there's about three surviving revisions, so which of them is the definitive version? They all have different contents, so is the ultimate version a mishmash of all three? A single one takes precedent over the others? How can we be certain that there was a later version that hasn't survived which is the one Shakespeare actually intended?

To be fair we still don't know which ending to Great Expectations is the right one either

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Rush Limbo posted:

He is good, but the wankery around how the text itself is the perfect manifestation of his work is probably the first step people take into the authorship conspiracy.

Then there's the ur-Hamlet that might be an earlier draft or a play by a different writer.

This is true of King Lear and Piers Plowman and whatever. But we have to kind of accept it as it is if we can't properly figure out which is the 'definitive'. A lot of the plurality and fluidity of such seminal texts has been ill-served by overly dictatorial editorial practices. Welcome to the wonderful world of Old Stuff

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair we still don't know which ending to Great Expectations is the right one either

The sad one :colbert:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rush Limbo posted:

there's no definitive text, especially of pre-modern texts, and authorial intent is unprovable at best and a fallacy at worst (which ordering of the canterbury tales was chaucer's?)

scholars talk about this kind of stuff all the time, so even the shittiest copy of shakespeare will have a textual introduction that explains what the base text is and why, what changes have been made to it and why, and so on.

that's also why any college shakespeare class worth its salt should make you read the tragedy of lear alongside the history of lear; they might even have you read the 'bad quarto' of hamlet (fwiw, consensus is that the q1 printing was put together mostly by actors, from memory).

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 8, 2016

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Picking up a copy of 'The Brothers Karamazov' sooner or later. Should I just stick with P&V or give David McDuff a try?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Kathy Acker's

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Xeom posted:

Picking up a copy of 'The Brothers Karamazov' sooner or later. Should I just stick with P&V or give David McDuff a try?

P&V also Russian translations

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Xeom posted:

Here's my topical two cents: lay off McDuff.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a bunch of audible credits. What are some good audiobooks I could listen to at work?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heath posted:

I have a bunch of audible credits. What are some good audiobooks I could listen to at work?

Audiobooks aren't literature, and thus can't be discussed in this thread

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

There's a few classics that have won Audie awards, like Dracula and Moby Dick. I'd search through the winners and nominees and see if there's any that appeal to you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Heath posted:

i heard a Brief History of Seven Killings is a really good one to listen to because of all the accents and stuff

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

A human heart posted:

Audiobooks aren't literature, and thus can't be discussed in this thread

Good point. We should instead be discussing the works of the most recent Nobel prize winner.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Skrill.exe posted:

Good point. We should instead be discussing the works of the most recent Nobel prize winner.

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Any book recommendations for when a fascist moron becomes the leader of your country?

I'm thinking 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' currently.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Anarchist's Cookbook.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Anything by Wolfgang Borchert

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Being There

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU