Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kurieg posted:

He's the lead storyteller for the World of Darkness, there's literally no one over his head who can say "You can't publish this."

Is paradox a private company or is it publicly traded? Cause if it is public, the board of directors may end up taking issue with the rapidly tanking reputation of the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Obligatum VII posted:

Is paradox a private company or is it publicly traded? Cause if it is public, the board of directors may end up taking issue with the rapidly tanking reputation of the company.

They're publicly traded under PDX on what is apparently norse Nasdaq.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Obligatum VII posted:

Their reputation is primarily built on alt history simulators that have a really loud (and, at least, openly derided) contingent of fans that are creepily into the iron cross and the iron eagle, so.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

They've been on Nasdaq First North since May 2016. So they may or may not care. It might be worth writing them about the impending public relations disaster to see if they'll put a leash on it.

E: They are Swedish though, so they may just not care.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, what he's saying is pretty much par for the course for the sweedish roleplaying community as far as I understand it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mors Rattus posted:

Their reputation is primarily built on alt history simulators that have a really loud (and, at least, openly derided) contingent of fans that are creepily into the iron cross and the iron eagle, so.

Yeah Paradox is mostly made up of sane people, it's just the fans that get weird. Their White Wolf subdivision will probably never have more people actively working on it than there are people working on the latest Stellaris or Crusader Kings DLC.
Last year on International Women's Day they released a free 'Women in History' DLC for Europa Universalis 4, then laughed at people that complained.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

IIRC hasn't he also talked about how he actively doesn't give a poo poo about American sensibilities and wants to refocus on the more "mature" European audience?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Yeah Paradox is mostly made up of sane people, it's just the fans that get weird. Their White Wolf subdivision will probably never have more people actively working on it than there are people working on the latest Stellaris or Crusader Kings DLC.
Last year on International Women's Day they released a free 'Women in History' DLC for Europa Universalis 4, then laughed at people that complained.

Right, PDS is probably staying as far as possible from corporate in regards to this. Also the wehraboos are only for Hearts of Iron, EU and CK have to deal with Byzantine fetishists instead.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Kavak posted:

Right, PDS is probably staying as far as possible from corporate in regards to this. Also the wehraboos are only for Hearts of Iron, EU and CK have to deal with Byzantine fetishists instead.

And of course, the hardcore sci-fi 'rationalist' fans of Stellaris get their due as well.

One of the events in Stellaris also directly references the SA Stellaris thread's arguments about 'Collectivist' and 'Individualist' societies and what they mean in-game vs what they mean in real life (the current thread title is 'political terminology used apparently randomly) but I couldn't find a picture of that one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

IIRC hasn't he also talked about how he actively doesn't give a poo poo about American sensibilities and wants to refocus on the more "mature" European audience?

Right, and the push towards a more european style of LARP where you pick up a character for a game and don't get attached vs one where you take your character with you. That said it seems at odds with their desire for a persistent world.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

New Scion stretch goals announced!

175k: Fiction anthology gets 2 more stories.
190k: Ready-Made Character PDF, with ten characters that are not yet Scions but are each ready to join one of the pantheons.

Also, ongoing vote about potential dice-related stretch goals.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

bewilderment posted:

One of the events in Stellaris also directly references the SA Stellaris thread's arguments about 'Collectivist' and 'Individualist' societies and what they mean in-game vs what they mean in real life (the current thread title is 'political terminology used apparently randomly) but I couldn't find a picture of that one.

Was the idea that collectivist means stuff like the Borg instead of human leftism really that hard to grasp, or was it more fun to be offended?

Mors Rattus posted:

Hands up how many of you are from Europe?

Also that audience is going to be super happy to see his edgelord fanfic instead of the oWoD revival they were promised.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. I was already leaning toward dumping the new owod since the mechanics were getting all changed, but was willing to give it a shot. If this is the feel they're going for though.

Nope.

So glad opp has chronicles.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kavak posted:

Was the idea that collectivist means stuff like the Borg instead of human leftism really that hard to grasp, or was it more fun to be offended?

The borg explanation doesn't / didn't make any more sense than the leftist one, mechanically speaking.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

crime fighting hog posted:

A grown-rear end man wrote that. And thought it was good. So did other people. And they published it.

To be fair, the same reaction holds true for a lot of 90s White Wolf that Swedish Dracula is in love with. He's just emulating the source material!

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

That fiction excerpt is like NC-17 Eye of Argon crossed with Battlefield Earth. Wow.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Eye of Argon actually has a sex scene in it, you just can't tell because it's the Eye of Argon.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The Eye of Argon actually has a sex scene in it, you just can't tell because it's the Eye of Argon.

Point. I'd forgotten about that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know what has more class and taste than Swedracula?

Wrestling of Darkness!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Desiden posted:

To be fair, the same reaction holds true for a lot of 90s White Wolf that Swedish Dracula is in love with. He's just emulating the source material!

Okay but as much as we all like to bust on the oWoD, we can at least all agree that the phrase "still gagging on my bleeding junk" doesn't appear anywhere within its hallowed confines, at least so far as I'm aware.

Christ, I can't even read that without cracking up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mors Rattus posted:

You know what has more class and taste than Swedracula?

Wrestling of Darkness!

I'd buy that supplement/videogame/Netflix miniseries

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

Because not all of us look back on the days of Vampyre McNaziBoobs and sigh wistfully.

If you have to buy the company to get it to make the kind of games you want then maybe you need to rethink things.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 28, 2016

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Loomer posted:

I'll post some excerpts from Swedish Dracula's short story in the reissue of Dark Tyrants later.

Setting aside how hilariously loving awful this passage is and how it bodes ill for the World of Darkness brand, I'm not up on my White Wolf Publishing AB news. Where'd this come from, is this a new story that was published in a recent rerelease of an old fiction anthology, or from a special edition at one of the LARP events, or something?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There are some Paradox people that post in the threads for the games here and they seem pretty cool, and their games are good. I hope the WoD stuff stays far away from the things I like about the company, because yikes

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kai Tave posted:

Okay but as much as we all like to bust on the oWoD, we can at least all agree that the phrase "still gagging on my bleeding junk" doesn't appear anywhere within its hallowed confines, at least so far as I'm aware.

No such words, but I mean there's the art in Montreal By Night.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Yawgmoth posted:

No such words, but I mean there's the art in Montreal By Night.

I find this one more appropriate, really.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Daeren posted:

I find this one more appropriate, really.
Dunno which I like more in their stack of books: Thai Cuisine or Satans.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wrestletime is over for today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuL3i2f1uz8

You can catch the video here. Highlights:
Jerry Lawler reveals himself to be a Beast that feeds on the petty suffering of the audience, which is why he repeats himself so much.
Aeshma of the Seers of the Throne delivers a powerful victory over Free Councilor Lucy Sulphate. Twitter is now trending #jointheseers.
In a shocking upset, Recce of the Adamantine Arrow survives three tombstone piledrivers from Bishop Birch in a triple threat match and takes the win, assisted somewhat by Ventrue fashion plate Tommy.
Mahmoud Walks-From-the-Light calls out Johnny Shadow over the death of one of his packmates. Johnny Shadow demonstrates his ruthlessness by working the neck constantly until Mahmoud can no longer continue the fight.
Tsar Bomba and Oleg Chernenko face off to determine who has the better plan to destroy the world. Oleg proves that cunning defeats raw power in a decisive victory, earning Bomba's lasting ire.
Count loving Dracula and the Nemean square off for an exhibition match. The Count unleashes his full brawling fury, laying out the Nemean with his signature double axe-handle combo.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mendrian posted:

While it's certainly not maturely handled, please tell me that this is some kind of translation issue. I refuse to believe someone wrote something this gross and nonsensical.

My understanding is Swedish Dracula, like many Swedes, speaks quite good english. It also passed muster of an editor. The story is confusing and meandering for its very short length, but I don't get the sense that's down to translation problems so much as Martin not being a very good prose writer.

Grim posted:

I remember the stories in the original Dark Tyrants as being pretty good though, right? Do I have to burn my copy now?

No, the old paper copies do not contain Full rear end-Rape Stiffness. All three Dark Destiny anthologies are still good reads, if not exactly high literature. He wrote a bonus story for the digital reissue, which is less of a bonus and more of a 'did I just spend seven dollars on that?
' kind of anti-bonus.

I don't know what to actually post now from it. I had to share that bit as I read it because FARS is basically the single worst case scenario for a more 'mature' oWoD, and a lot of the rest is more of the same without the grotesque Eternal Hearts level of detail. It has some stuff that I think further indicates direction of the setting, like this vampire having magic super-sex in his dick which he can use to control other vampires and remembering all the intimate experiences of his feeding victims (with no indication he's a case of Sanguinary Animism) but the rest is just... Ah gently caress it, have more anyway. If I had to read it, so do you.

"So we whiled away the long gloom of anticipation before the hunt pretending to gently caress like a suburban couple, red satin sheets and plastic tarps under the mattress hiding the blood-cum stains... She screamed as I sucked and threw me straight through the solid pine wall as she came."

As a side note, the reissues are interesting from a Project perspective. If I do continue it into 5e, which is increasingly unlikely as my life gets busier and I don't like the direction I'm seeing of the game (read: maybe if they like it enough to pay me), reissuing these three explicitly as part of the oWoD is going to introduce stuff that was always ambiguously canon into full on canonicity, like Vampire Peking Man. Originally, they were published as 'a World of Darkness' anthologies but without the full on imprint stamp, and were aimed at a broader horror audience than the game anthologies and novels up to that point. Republishing now with forewords explicitly inducting them in changes that ability to look at stuff that contradicts because it was never actually written for the setting and shrug it off. It still has to be done, only now it's a canon inconsistency so it can't be totally ignored in the project files and needs to have a mention.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Soonmot posted:

So glad opp has chronicles.

On the other hand, Beast.

After Beast, you can never be sure that the next book isn't going to be a new Beast.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
On the bright side, you can be fairly certain the next book will not contain FARS even after Beast.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If just like to say everything else Paradox does is good to great if you like fiddly strategy game. Swedish Dracula is just a money mark.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

same

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

jim truds posted:

If just like to say everything else Paradox does is good to great if you like fiddly strategy game. Swedish Dracula is just a money mark.

ehhh

as a rule they're way too simulationist and random to be "great"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

ehhh

as a rule they're way too simulationist and random to be "great"

For a lot of people the simulationism is what makes them great, as opposed to more contextless games like Civilization.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For a great example of why renewing the anthologies and stamping them more thoroughly with 'this is a world of darkness product, yo' introduces some more complications, there's a story in Dark Destiny where a human becomes a garou by eating the flesh of man and garou. Other things it includes which now have to be dealt with seriously: Rogue Vampire Edgar Allen Poe, Vampire-Werewolf Post-Apocalypse (that defies Gehenna, but is actually :krad:), infants born of a garou by a kindred father, genetically engineered and industrially bottled blood shipped worldwide for vampiric use. If they do book 2, Vampire Jesus becomes A Thing.

It's very telling that this is actually the first release of the 'revived' oWoD in terms of what's in the book. It's crossover heavy to the extreme, plays extremely fast and loose with the setting's rules and concepts, and while it was a fun read originally because they let the authors go hog wild, when you combine that with Swedish Dracula's Full rear end-Rape Stiffness (Hey, it's almost like GURPS! SJ:GURPS, SD:FARS!) it's actually quite concerning for the 'integrity' of the setting.

It's a funny phrase 'integrity of the setting', and it seems very grog to even type it. But for me, the only thing about the oWoD that's worth protecting is the setting (or at least most of it), since the mechanics were loving awful a lot of the time and could probably be replaced with say, FATE, for an experience a lot smoother and closer to how the game is 'meant' to be played. The setting improved as it moved past those early years because it hammered down some of the gonzo poo poo, and while the OPP forums seem to have a big cult based around 1E, 1E was a tonally inconsistent, golconda-crazy mess of contradiction, racism, and shallow ponds posing as deep oceans, with most of its fans having rose coloured glasses about six inches thick or not having actually read 1E content. 2E grew those oceans out, even if the tonal problems and contradictions only increased and the racism took on new, dizzying forms while wisely rejecting others, and by the end of 2E we got books that are stand-outs of the entire game either for sheer gonzo insanity (Dirty Secrets of the True Black Hand, which is both awful and amazing) or for being incredibly good (Wraith) or remarkable handlings of sensitive subjects (Wraith again, with Shoah, though that has its flaws.) Revised, which seems broadly disliked over there (or at least vocally disliked by posters there), actually added some depth to those 2E-widened lakes until they deserved to be called oceans, and did it while doing its best to rub out some of the worst poo poo from 1E and 2E, introduced two of the best game-lines WW ever wrote, and managed to make the setting just a little more believable.

Rolling back the setting to the first couple of years of 2E, where you had the worst flaws of 1E and 2E both running around loving everything up, and then adding Grimdark SexMurder 'Maturity' is like knocking off all the careful bits of sculpting done with material that maybe wasn't that strong to begin with and then crudely hacking at what's left with an axe until it looks vaguely similar.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 28, 2016

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kai Tave posted:

We'd probably have to ask the guy who did the F&F for Eternal Hearts, if he hasn't killed himself yet to make the nightmares stop. I'd say its at least 50/50 that its in there somewhere.

But yeah, standard sourcebooks not as much.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Loomer posted:

On the bright side, you can be fairly certain the next book will not contain FARS even after Beast.

Don't tell me what I can't do! :argh:

Though, seriously, Deviant drawing on potential only so far tapped in Freak Legion for Gooey bodyhorror does not, thus far, extend to "Savage Genitalia" as a Variation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

All I can say at the last two pages is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqJOxi4UeBw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Don't tell me what I can't do! :argh:

Though, seriously, Deviant drawing on potential only so far tapped in Freak Legion for Gooey bodyhorror does not, thus far, extend to "Savage Genitalia" as a Variation.

I expect Deviant to be fully able to model the tragic tale of Edward Penishands or there will be no sale, my good man :colbert: