Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
So because spies are OP and win me every game easily I have been sticking to my Northern realms deck but I'd like to try out the others. Where on earth are all their spy cards though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If anyone could love a sulky and uncommunicative. . . woman. . . it would be Geralt.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

NaDy posted:

Ciri's voice actor, Jo Wyatt is actually English and her accent is fine, what's so lousy about it? She's not the best actor in the game but her accent is totally genuine.

People who have a problem with Ciri's English voice are probably still traumatized by Dragon Age 2 (Jo Wyatt voiced female Hawke).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

mikeraskol posted:

They are both pretty awesome, which is why the threesome thing was sad yet hilarious.

I laughed pretty hard though when you get back to Kaer Morhen for the first time and Vesemir is like "yeah Yen totally just threw a bed out of the window. I don't understand why."

That entire gag is hilarious, and only gets better if you decide to press Yen about it. (spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkdHgYD83c)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just realized that POIs aren't all revealed from notice boards. Think I've tripled the stuff in the "first" area, where you start at Hangman's tree, just by circling its coastal bits. :stare:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

People who have a problem with Ciri's English voice are probably still traumatized by Dragon Age 2 (Jo Wyatt voiced female Hawke).

I thought femHawke had a silly lisp, am I remembering that wrong?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
As a side note on the innkeep who sells the Thaler card: Buy the card from him before you pick up the Witcher contract that starts in the inn, or you may never get it; there's a chance he goes completely non-responsive to dialogue after.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Triss and Yennefer both over a hundred years old?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

Does the Witcher 3 ever resolve the dangling plot hook from Witcher 2?

Specifically, does anyone ever confront Yennefer over her apparent betrayal of the Lodge and northern kingdoms?

That wasn't what happened. Letho says that even he doubts Yen tipped her hand on the North and the Lodge's plans. It's much more likely Emhyr and his mages siphoned the information directly out of her amnesiac mind, then turned her out again.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Broken Cog posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Triss and Yennefer both over a hundred years old?

Yennefer is almost exactly 100 years old by the time of the witcher games. I have no idea about Triss though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So if I have the Steam version of TW3, can I get the Expansion Pass from GOG, or am I locked into Steam? Wouldn't mind those extra Witcher 1 and 2 codes to hand out to friends.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

GrossMurpel posted:

Triss "I don't give a poo poo about Ciri and would rather side with the Lodge" Merigold vs Yennefer "immediately drop everything and flip off Philippa to go find Ciri" of Vengerberg.

I guess not giving a poo poo about Ciri aligns with my own interests.

unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnLFECnr_1U

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I guess not giving a poo poo about Ciri aligns with my own interests.

unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnLFECnr_1U

lmao axii-ing the guy instead of just heavy attacking again to break through his block
lmao picking up each item instead of using the "take all" option

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

GrossMurpel posted:

I never bother with "take all". Since I'm looting from multiple containers next to each other so often I just hammer the A button.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

I vote Rock Trolls as funniest character(s) of the year

If there was a village of Rock Trolls I'm not sure I would ever leave it.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Can I permanently gently caress up the Hattori quest, or will he just wait for me forever? And do I need to avoid that trigger spot for another 10 levels? I couldn't resist some dumplings and got in over my head

Also, is there an even higher level of crafting components that aren't unlocked from the beginning? I'm wallowing in perfect diamonds and dimetrium and everything else at 10

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

GrossMurpel posted:

lmao axii-ing the guy instead of just heavy attacking again to break through his block

lol if you don't Axii all the time for instant kills

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Slashrat posted:

That entire gag is hilarious, and only gets better if you decide to press Yen about it. (spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkdHgYD83c)

Swived is a new word for me. I like it.

anatomi posted:

Are there any sorceresses in the Witcher universe that look their age, or even older than they really are?

If you had tons of magical power and could look like anything would you ever look your age?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

^^ Yeah, maybe. I mean there are celebrities who have undergone surgery to look older. I imagine that in some instances a wise old crone might garner respect easier than a pin-up model.

Are there any sorceresses in the Witcher universe that look their age, or even older than they really are?

EDIT:: On another note, the music in Skellige is so loving nice.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 1, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Levantine posted:

lol if you don't Axii all the time for instant kills

Yeah I could see how he totally instantly killed that guy :v:
Sorry, everyone is too busy being on fire to be mind-controlled

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

anatomi posted:

^^ Yeah, maybe. I mean there are celebrities who have undergone surgery to look older. I imagine that in some instances a wise old crone might garner respect easier than a pin-up model.

There are probably some, but Geralt mostly deals with the top dogs of the sorcery world, which means they are all quite old. No one would want to actually be 90 years old when they could use magic to be young instead. I assume younger sorceresses might be more willing to appear their actual age.

I assume if a sorceress ever feels the need to appear old for whatever purpose they can just cast an illusion.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Oxxidation posted:

That wasn't what happened. Letho says that even he doubts Yen tipped her hand on the North and the Lodge's plans. It's much more likely Emhyr and his mages siphoned the information directly out of her amnesiac mind, then turned her out again.

Letho does not say that. When questioned about Yennefer's fate, Letho admits his ignorance:

"I dunno. Never saw her again. The Emperor offered me a mission in the Northern Kingdoms. As for Yennefer, I had the feeling she was somehow important to Emhyr. As I see it, they learned of the Lodge from her. Those Imperial spooks have their ways. All I heard is that Vattier had his men watch Yennefer closely throughout the time she was at the palace. Then we went off to slay the kings of the North, and that's where my knowledge ends."

Since the previews show Yennefer working for Emhyr to locate Ciri, how can you claim Emhyr "siphoned the information" and "turned her out?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

Letho does not say that. When questioned about Yennefer's fate, Letho admits his ignorance:

"I dunno. Never saw her again. The Emperor offered me a mission in the Northern Kingdoms. As for Yennefer, I had the feeling she was somehow important to Emhyr. As I see it, they learned of the Lodge from her. Those Imperial spooks have their ways. All I heard is that Vattier had his men watch Yennefer closely throughout the time she was at the palace. Then we went off to slay the kings of the North, and that's where my knowledge ends."

Since the previews show Yennefer working for Emhyr to locate Ciri, how can you claim Emhyr "siphoned the information" and "turned her out?"

Because Letho said exactly that. I don't have the script in front of me, but it's one of his replies to the questioning about Yennefer. I finished Assassins of Kings yesterday, so I know it's not just my memory being faulty.

Merry Magpie posted:

Did you even read my post?

I quoted his dialog.

Yeah, and you quoted the wrong part. He goes on about Yen in a separate query.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Oxxidation posted:

Because Letho said exactly that. I don't have the script in front of me, but it's one of his replies to the questioning about Yennefer.

Did you even read my post?

I quoted his dialog.

Edit:^^^Feel free to provide the pertinent quote.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Aurain posted:

For a place as small as the UK, in comparison to the likes of the US at least, we have a lot of accent variation.

I live in Boston now where people can actually tell which high school other Bostonians went to based on their accent. It blows my loving mind. Both my parents moved constantly growing up, as did I, but I'm mostly TX/CA/pan-expat, and people here peg me as Midwestern, which is basically the only place I've never lived long-term. :confused:

So I actually like the huge range of accents in the game because I grew up around other people who moved around so much you couldn't really draw conclusions based on what they looked like or how they talked, and it rings really true on both levels -- the fine distinctions of the tiny Northern Kingdoms, and the huge swings from the massive Nilfgaardian empire.

vv- Nothing failed for me. I think if you have outstanding Primary Quests it might be a problem but I left a ton of Secondary Quests untouched from Ugly Baby to endgame and none of them failed. Depending where you are, the subquests relating to Triss and Roche might fail, but otherwise the point of no return is very overstated.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 1, 2015

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
I've been screwing around too long and I'm about to go ask about getting Uma Are there any quests that will fail or what have you if I pop over to Kaer Morhen? Already got the Gwent quest caught up for this point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ugh, sometimes when you think you figured things out you run across the ? mark south of Mulbrydale to find it guarded by level 7 Slavers and level 16 Nilfgaard deserters. Buh.

Then you realize that you haven't touched a point of interest south of where you started out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Levantine posted:

Redheads man. Maybe it is you who are boring?

I found triss' hair specifically to be pretty garish. There was a mod for the second game that made her hair a more muted reddish brown, I hope something similar comes out for Witcher 3.

also re: dog puns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvVFVFsbQu0

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I had to do the .ini tweaks to get Axii's Puppet alt-fire to work properly. Will GOG Galaxy automatically overwrite these changes when the new patch goes out?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Psiharis posted:

I live in Boston now where people can actually tell which high school other Bostonians went to based on their accent. It blows my loving mind. Both my parents moved constantly growing up, as did I, but I'm mostly TX/CA/pan-expat, and people here peg me as Midwestern, which is basically the only place I've never lived long-term. :confused:

So I actually like the huge range of accents in the game because I grew up around other people who moved around so much you couldn't really draw conclusions based on what they looked like or how they talked, and it rings really true on both levels -- the fine distinctions of the tiny Northern Kingdoms, and the huge swings from the massive Nilfgaardian empire.
Yeah, accent distribution is actually really interesting in a nerdy as hell way.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Zoo06 posted:

I've been screwing around too long and I'm about to go ask about getting Uma Are there any quests that will fail or what have you if I pop over to Kaer Morhen? Already got the Gwent quest caught up for this point.

I think Lambert's quest for revenge? At least I think it did for me at that point.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

<3 <3 <3 Yennifer <3 <3 <3

People who prefer Triss are boring.

I'll take the blonde German chick that wants to eradicate the French/italians by unleashing smallpox on them :allears:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

My wife was asking me what I was doing in the game and I when I went to explain why I was spamming Yrden everywhere I realised I don't know how to say Yrden. How is it pronounced?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

I think Lambert's quest for revenge? At least I think it did for me at that point.

Ah, no problem then. I did this one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gilganixon posted:

My wife was asking me what I was doing in the game and I when I went to explain why I was spamming Yrden everywhere I realised I don't know how to say Yrden. How is it pronounced?

Yer-den. That's how Sile pronounced it anyway.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

GrossMurpel posted:

I didn't know there was a take all till just now because I can't read any of the loving text in this game lol
Also not axiiing human opponents at every opportunity is your loss

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

turtlecrunch posted:

I didn't know there was a take all till just now because I can't read any of the loving text in this game lol
Also not axiiing human opponents at every opportunity is your loss

Axii against humans is the best. Every sign is good in different situations but Axii fucks over shield dudes instantly whereas igni does nothing to them. Puppets are a blast too- even if they don't last long enough to do much, they become a target for their friends the second they turn.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
igni sets shield guys on fire and they drop their shield

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I've used both normal and alt Igni against shield guys and it doesn't phase them at all.

EDIT: if they have it up. It works if they are in the middle of an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Depends on which igni. I only have basic igni and I have never set a shield guy on fire. Meanwhile basic axii works just fine to at least stun a guy. As does dodging his attack to your left (his weapon arm side) and stabbing repeatedly.

edit: \/\/\/\/ I am going to go heavy attacks and heavy armor my second playthrough if/when I do a second one. I am having a blast being all dodgey and fast but being able to just clobber guys sounds like fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 1, 2015