Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gettin' ready to do a can of season grilled mackerel. gonna have it with avocado not so much because I want to, but because I have half an avocado in the fridge and I want to eat it before it goes bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it'll be a nice breakfast juxtaposition, extremely perishable fruit and tinned fish that will be good well into trump's third term

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Breakfast Juxtaposition is a tight user name

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, that was good. a little salt and lime juice for the avocado, a piece of naan bread and cholula

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

man, that was good. a little salt and lime juice for the avocado, a piece of naan bread and cholula

I've yet to find a tinned fish that doesn't loving rock with this exact preparation.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got another king Oscar haiku prize. The fish rich get fish richer 😎

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Extreme bullshit that the contest is only on Facebook

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dehumanize yourself and face to fishhead

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Trying some new recipes to use these 240g Fried Riga Gold's in tomato sauce selling at Grocery Outlet for 1.49

Cooked down some potatoes, onions, garlic and, canned tomatoes then added harrisa, the sardines and spinach.

That made a pretty big pot worth at least 5 meals. Tried a portion with some a couple eggs poached and it's as tasty as it was cheap.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7209041027011792170

Just make sure you offer some to the person sitting next to you

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The only way to be less considerate would be to light up a camel wide 100 right after.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hrmm this thread has motivated me to try some dines from whole foods.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Fartington Butts posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7209041027011792170

Just make sure you offer some to the person sitting next to you

that's some legit BDE right there (big 'dine energy)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m picturing me peeling open the can and then the lid spatters fishy oil on everyone in my row when that last bit of metal snaps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In other news, apparently I won a haiku contest and they are sending me a ceramic serving platter.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sardines: 10+ years of milking the k.o. haiku contest

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I won the haiku contest like 4 years ago and they sent me a T shirt, 3 tins of vintage sardines, a lid to put over your unfinished sardine can, a wooden fork, and coupons

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I've read this entire thread and there have been a lot of posts about winning KO contests and receiving aged 'dines, sardine can closing lids, special sardine forks, etc., and i think at this point it's just like a dozen goons keeping KO's social media presence alive.

Thank you for your service

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I want one of those magic sardine forks

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dine chopsticks are better

naem
May 29, 2011

Cat Hassler posted:

I won the haiku contest like 4 years ago and they sent me a T shirt, 3 tins of vintage sardines, a lid to put over your unfinished sardine can, a wooden fork, and coupons

unfinished? sardine can? I don’t,

this concept doesn’t,

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I rarely use mine, bought a metal sardine fork from Rainbow Tomato Garden’s store and it’s superior.

Still seeking a KO tee and vintage cans, but my poetry is terrible :(

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

naem posted:

this concept doesn’t,

I thought I’d wasn’t safe to leave food unfinished in a can anyway? It’s never come up for me.

naem
May 29, 2011

wooger posted:

I thought I’d wasn’t safe to leave food unfinished in a can anyway? It’s never come up for me.

I just eat teh fishes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wooger posted:

I imagine it's part novelty item, part "I had some on toast for lunch and I'll have the rest tonight" which is probably Food Safe.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

wooger posted:

That is no longer official health department advice. Can is a fine short term storage container

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I got second place a few years ago and they asked me if I wanted a red hat or a black apron.

I chose the apron.

FYI I had Bela codfish last night "portuguese style", whatever that means. I don't recommend it - it wasn't smoked, wasn't packed in oil and just had a really neutral taste to it. Of course, crackers, hot sauce, pickles, lemon, etc picked it up, but I don't know that I'd get it again. Just wasn't much to it, flavor wise.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Sardine sardine sardine sardiiiiiinnne I'm begging for you please don't take my can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixrje2rXLMA

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Planet X posted:

I got second place a few years ago and they asked me if I wanted a red hat or a black apron.

I chose the apron.

FYI I had Bela codfish last night "portuguese style", whatever that means. I don't recommend it - it wasn't smoked, wasn't packed in oil and just had a really neutral taste to it. Of course, crackers, hot sauce, pickles, lemon, etc picked it up, but I don't know that I'd get it again. Just wasn't much to it, flavor wise.

i dont love bella at its price point either

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Your flavor is beyond compare
With crunchy bones, an oily fare
With silver skin and lots of omega three
Your pop is like a breath of sea
An open tin destined for me
And I am not complete without sardines

[Chorus as above]

I talk about you in my sleep
And there's nothing I can do to keep
From eating when you call my name, sardine
And I could easily understand
How you could easily be my can
But you don't know what you mean to me, sardines

[Chorus as above]

You could have your choice of Kings
Belas, Nuris, lemon on brislings
They're the only ones for me sardines
I had to have this talk with you
My happiness depends on you
And whatever you decide to do, sardines!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

naem posted:

this concept doesn’t,

true, but I don't think I've ever finished a round tin of sprats in one sitting. I wouldn't mind a special lil' fish lid for those

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Soul Dentist posted:

That is no longer official health department advice. Can is a fine short term storage container

smoked, oil preserved fish seem like a thing that would be fine regardless of the container

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've learned that sardines are being overfished especially in Portugal so I'm sticking to mackerel for now. The ones from Patagonia Provisions are delicious and right now they are on sale at Whole Foods for $5.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Where did you read this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Why Some Portuguese Are Passing on Sardines

Here in Portugal, we love our sardines. Some find it hard to imagine a world without them.

Unfortunately, in the last decade, the sardine population has dropped, mostly due to climate change and excessive fishing. In 2006, fishermen caught 106,000 tonnes of sardines, versus 22,000 tonnes in 2016!

Sardines like cooler waters, so as the temperature rises in the Atlantic, they’ve retreated up north. This means that more and more, your “local” sardines might be coming from the UK or France.

The young sardines are especially vulnerable to these changes and, without them, it’s hard to replenish the population.

Every year locals are faced with the possibility that they might not have enough sardines. The government has put limitations on fishing, so most of the sardines you find in Lisbon are frozen to keep up with the demand.

https://devourtours.com/blog/sardines-lisbon/

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Just had a can of KOs for lunch and shared them with the dogs. Feeding a dog a sardine is one of life's simple pleasures, and the exclusive dominion of The Dad.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

that ko yellowfin in olive oil and sun dried tomatos requires no condiments

maybe a little mayo

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Dines on homemade pizza Saturday night washed down with red wine :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004