Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HardCoil posted:

Scout armour is like caparpace armour isn't it? As far as I remember it's not powered?
I want to to try making some primaris scale scouts.
Yeah, scout armor is basically just carapace armor; it's not fully enclosed or powered. However, the Reivers fulfill a similar role for primaris marines and wear a stripped-down version of MkX armor. Basically, primaris scouts already exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ilor posted:

I painted some recently and had exactly the opposite reaction - I was surprised how well the sculpts had held up. Compared to some of the overly-detailed crap that's coming out these days, they were actually kind of fun to paint.

The actual armour is pretty nice, it's the ice-skating poses I can't abide.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Serotonin posted:

Im currently painting up some Berzerkers I inherited off a mate and I'm finding it hard to find the enthusiasm. The models are just so mediocre. Long overdue an update.

I was actually thinking some of the AoS Blood Warriors with Possessed backpacks might work for that.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Aleth posted:

I was actually thinking some of the AoS Blood Warriors with Possessed backpacks might work for that.

I've considered that but for some reason I can't get past their boots

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

HardCoil posted:

Scout armour is like caparpace armour isn't it? As far as I remember it's not powered?
I want to to try making some primaris scale scouts.

I was thinking about kit bashing primaris into assault marines but it'd it'd be 80 bucks at least to do it and I've already got 40 jumpy smalmarines.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cross posting some robutts

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up 1/2 Kastelans tonight for a game on Sunday. Base is still drying. Love how dirty he ended up.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
So, I've got a game scheduled against the dude with a warhound I talked about last week. We're going to play the newest Konor mission, so I'm fairly confident in my ability to win by taking objectives, but I do want to kill the warhound.

My current planned list:
Blood Angels

Librarian Dreadnought
Captain (Jump Pack, Relic blade, bolt pistol)

Redemptor Dread (hog, onslaught, fragstorms)
Aggressor Squad (3-man, boltstorm)
Relic Contemptor (Kheres, DCCW)

Assault Squad (2x meltagun)
Assault Squad (2x meltagun)
Assault Squad (2x plasma pistol)
Assault Squad (2x plasma pistol, sgt w/ plasma pistol + thunder hammer)
Inceptor Squad (3-man, assault bolters)

Baal Predator (2x assault cannon, 2x heavy bolter)
Relic Leviathan dread (cyclonic melta lance, siege drill)

Comes to 2k exactly.

Plan is to use the aggressors and assault squads to screen the dreads from any incoming assaults. Use the librarian to shield the redemptor so all the dreads are either untargetable, have a 4+ invuln, or have a 5+ invuln. Once the dreads make it into the warhound, split the assault squads off and start claiming objectives.

I figure it has a 50/50 chance of working. Not going to put a ton of damage on it with shooting, but should be able to chew it up in combat if I can make it there.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, scout armor is basically just carapace armor; it's not fully enclosed or powered. However, the Reivers fulfill a similar role for primaris marines and wear a stripped-down version of MkX armor. Basically, primaris scouts already exist.

Thanks. I want some grizzled semi realistic guys with sniper rifles and stuff using the scout rules. Reivers are very specific.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cross posting some robutts

This is awesome dude. Great weathering. I'm looking forward to doing some robots!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pro: I now have around 750pts of orks.

Con: Over half of it is unpainted.

At least I've worked out how to speedpaint them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Played the last large-scale game my LGS is hosting for the Konor campaign today. Rather than play the regular mission we played a custom game so one player could use a rather special inclusion:

Titan sat in the middle of the board with four objectives scattered down the centre line, it's Lascannons and Mauler Bolters would automatically fire at the closest appropriate target ala; Tarantula turrets at the end of each game turn. Team that controlled 3 of the objectives would be able to fire one of it's main guns and be rendered immune to the auto-fire, controlling all four would give access to all the weapon systems. Objective was just a plain ol' "Wipe the other team completely off the board".

My side was 45 PP each Deathwatch and Dark Angels. Enemy team was 30 PP each Thousand Sons and 2 'Nidzilla forces.

Highlights of the game:

-My Hellblasters laying waste to everything they so much as glanced at, even after being reduced down to 3 dudes by one turn of desperate return fire from the TS's. Meanwhile the DA Hellblasters managed to fry most of themselves before the rest took a Smite to the face.

-DA Tacticals enduring 7 turns of Lascannon fire, being reduced down to the Sgt as they held onto a neglected objective in the backfield.

-Hive Tyrant smashing effortlessly through a Deathwing deathstar only to get punk'd by my Watch Master.

-Thousand Sons player storming off in a hissyfit after getting in a rules dispute with me over LOS and character targeting. Admitably, I was a little short with the dude due to a serious lack of sleep but I apologised. Didn't stop him from scooping, claiming he didn't want to play "Against no-life powergamers". Store's owner jumped in with some proxies.

-A violently savage round of shooting from the Titan reducing our battered forces down to the Watch Master, a Primaris Apothecary and an Exocrine. Led to a mad dash to smash it in the face as it pumped shot after shot into my Marines, killing the Apothecary with a lucky Overwatch shot. Eventually, after 3 turns of whiffle-batting each other, the Watch Master finally put it down with one wound to spare. Last man standing. :getin:

-A trio of Spore Mines making a valiant last stand to try and keep an objective out of the hands of a squad of Deathwing. Semper Fi little ballsacks :911:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SteelMentor posted:

Played the last large-scale game my LGS is hosting for the Konor campaign today. Rather than play the regular mission we played a custom game so one player could use a rather special inclusion:

Titan sat in the middle of the board with four objectives scattered down the centre line, it's Lascannons and Mauler Bolters would automatically fire at the closest appropriate target ala; Tarantula turrets at the end of each game turn. Team that controlled 3 of the objectives would be able to fire one of it's main guns and be rendered immune to the auto-fire, controlling all four would give access to all the weapon systems. Objective was just a plain ol' "Wipe the other team completely off the board".

My side was 45 PP each Deathwatch and Dark Angels. Enemy team was 30 PP each Thousand Sons and 2 'Nidzilla forces.

Highlights of the game:

-My Hellblasters laying waste to everything they so much as glanced at, even after being reduced down to 3 dudes by one turn of desperate return fire from the TS's. Meanwhile the DA Hellblasters managed to fry most of themselves before the rest took a Smite to the face.

-DA Tacticals enduring 7 turns of Lascannon fire, being reduced down to the Sgt as they held onto a neglected objective in the backfield.

-Hive Tyrant smashing effortlessly through a Deathwing deathstar only to get punk'd by my Watch Master.

-Thousand Sons player storming off in a hissyfit after getting in a rules dispute with me over LOS and character targeting. Admitably, I was a little short with the dude due to a serious lack of sleep but I apologised. Didn't stop him from scooping, claiming he didn't want to play "Against no-life powergamers". Store's owner jumped in with some proxies.

-A violently savage round of shooting from the Titan reducing our battered forces down to the Watch Master, a Primaris Apothecary and an Exocrine. Led to a mad dash to smash it in the face as it pumped shot after shot into my Marines, killing the Apothecary with a lucky Overwatch shot. Eventually, after 3 turns of whiffle-batting each other, the Watch Master finally put it down with one wound to spare. Last man standing. :getin:

-A trio of Spore Mines making a valiant last stand to try and keep an objective out of the hands of a squad of Deathwing. Semper Fi little ballsacks :911:

That sounds like an incredibly rad game and game type.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Pro: I now have around 750pts of orks.

Con: Over half of it is unpainted.

At least I've worked out how to speedpaint them.

You want some more Orks? Hospital bills can gently caress all the way off, and I have some pretty well-painted mans.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

You want some more Orks? Hospital bills can gently caress all the way off, and I have some pretty well-painted mans.

Nah, I'm going slowbuild so I don't end up snowing myself under. Just aiming for 1k right now.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Goddamn dude :(

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Pendent posted:

Goddamn dude :(

DON'T JOIN THE MILITARY IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD COLLEGE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A WOMAN. LITERALLY GO AND DO ANYTHING ELSE ANYWHERE ELSE.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Painted orks for sale?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DON'T JOIN THE MILITARY IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD COLLEGE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A WOMAN. LITERALLY GO AND DO ANYTHING ELSE ANYWHERE ELSE.

Uh... I don't know what happened, but if you're not aware Goons in Platoons is a commiseration station and I'm sure your story would be appreciated if you'd like to share

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Painted orks for sale?

https://imgur.com/a/NeHq3 Big Mek with SAG

https://imgur.com/a/8t9tI 3 MegaNobz, Big Mek in Mega Armor with magnetized Tellyport Blasta, and 10 Flash Gitz.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Those Flashgitz are sweet. They look like they were pulled out of a comic book.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Boon posted:

Uh... I don't know what happened, but if you're not aware Goons in Platoons is a commiseration station and I'm sure your story would be appreciated if you'd like to share

Yeah seconded.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Had my first game with my vindicare yesterday and he instantly paid for himself by 1 shotting my mates ethereal and then his crisis suit commander.

Plus the model is sweet as hell

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

So, I've got a game scheduled against the dude with a warhound I talked about last week. We're going to play the newest Konor mission, so I'm fairly confident in my ability to win by taking objectives, but I do want to kill the warhound.

My current planned list:

Plan is to use the aggressors and assault squads to screen the dreads from any incoming assaults. Use the librarian to shield the redemptor so all the dreads are either untargetable, have a 4+ invuln, or have a 5+ invuln. Once the dreads make it into the warhound, split the assault squads off and start claiming objectives.

I figure it has a 50/50 chance of working. Not going to put a ton of damage on it with shooting, but should be able to chew it up in combat if I can make it there.

I played this game yesterday. He brought the warhound, 3x bikes, a techmarine, 4x inceptors and a landspeeder. I was attacker and had first turn, dropped my inceptors on an objective he left totally uncovered and took it. The baal predator and the shooting from the inceptors took out his bikes, and smite + assault squads took out the landspeeder. Aggressors managed to deploy within 18 of the warhound, so they immediately took something like 4 wounds off with weight of fire. Everything shooting managed to drop it below 29 that turn, and then he inexplicably didn't move it away the next turn. It took out an assault squad and most of the wounds off the contemptor. My next turn I took the second objective, shot another bunch of wounds off it, lost the contemptor to overwatch and my librarian dread took another 3 wounds off before getting stomped. The leviathan and redemptor flubbed their charge rolls. Turn 2 he almost but not quite killed the redemptor, and inceptors + bolter finished off all my assault squads. He limped 8" further back, which failed at getting out of my range, and I shot it to death and secured the third objective.

I was a bit over-nervous about facing it and tailored my list a bit too much (which he knew going in). It was a list designed to beat it in melee, and I shot it to death. Solidifies my position that aggressors are great and should be included wherever possible. If he uses it again we'll play a bigger game, since in anything other than a straight up kill the other guy fight him only having 500 points of army is a huge drawback. If I had held some of my assault squads in deep strike I would've won first turn, since he didn't have any way to secure objectives.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Those Flashgitz are sweet. They look like they were pulled out of a comic book.

Thanks, that was the intent. Not wonderful lighting in garages where we mostly play.

Boon posted:

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah seconded.

Thanks, goons.

Anybody want a Kustom Stompa? Nob Bikers? It's an orkstravaganza! :haw:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thanks, that was the intent. Not wonderful lighting in garages where we mostly play.

Thanks, goons.

Anybody want a Kustom Stompa? Nob Bikers? It's an orkstravaganza! :haw:

Any unpainted ork stuff? My stuff is a bit darker.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Any unpainted ork stuff? My stuff is a bit darker.

A ton of metal Tankbustas; I can check for any extra sprues lying around, but I was clearing inventory.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Solidifies my position that aggressors are great and should be included wherever possible.

Which ones? The bolter dudes?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bolters definitely seem like the better option in general. Flamers are situationally really strong but that 8" range is rough

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, bolters. For 129 points 18+3d6 shots with a threat range of 24+d6 is fantastic, and then doubling that if you can stand still. And they aren't slouches in melee. I really like to drop a squad + captain off in a repulsor. Whoever I'm shooting at gets to choose between eating ~28.5 shots this turn and ~57 the next as they try to get out of range, or charging into 57 shots of overwatch, 7 powerfist attacks, and the gravis captain.

Flamers could be good, but the short threat range means people can charge them from outside it, and it's harder to deliver them into range. I'll probably eventually build some, but do 6x bolters first.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's Goon time baby.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/03/mortarion-and-the-death-guard-next-weekend/

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
You would think a company like Games Workshop could afford to hire animators to make awesome trailers instead of just panning across still images

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Mortarion is going to be incredibly hard to kill and throws out AoE mortal wounds like candy.

Better be 700+ points.

DanoTuka
Apr 8, 2015

I have played Sigmar with my son for a while, but these new Bigmarines caught my eye and I started playing with 8th. Personally I think a lot of the Space Marine models are pretty goofy looking, but these new ones look awesome. I bought a Dark Imperium box for me and the boy, then I bought another Primaris half of the box so I could play 1k+ games. Once they started releasing the other models I really dove in.

My Army Mans:

List:
Captain in Gravis Armor x2
Primaris Captain
Primaris Librarian
Primaris Chaplain
Primaris Lieutenants x4
Intercessor Squad x4
Primaris Ancient x2
Primaris Apothecary
Inceptor Squad x2
Reiver Squad
Centurion Devastator Squad
Hellblaster Squad x2
Aggressor Squad
Redemptor Dreadnought
Repulsor
Sergeant Chronus
. Vindicator

Roughly Total: [209 PL, 3434pts]

Technically I proxy Chronus with a spare Reiver model.

I wanted to go for a Ultra Marines successor chapter, perhaps even a "Only Ever Been Primaris Chapter". Originally I wanted a black armor, but ended up doing this drybrush -> glaze quick and easy paint job that turned into more work than I thought it would be... anyway so now they're blue and just kinda look like run of the mil UltraMarines but whatever I guess.

Some of the few I've done work on. (Apoth needs a lot of work)

Could call the Captain done but I'm sure I'll touch him up more.

Really enjoying this edition, seems like night and day compared to how some of my bittervet friends have described previous versions.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Today, I bring the gift of holy rot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oSUqmyh8lQ

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Yeah, bolters. For 129 points 18+3d6 shots with a threat range of 24+d6 is fantastic, and then doubling that if you can stand still. And they aren't slouches in melee. I really like to drop a squad + captain off in a repulsor. Whoever I'm shooting at gets to choose between eating ~28.5 shots this turn and ~57 the next as they try to get out of range, or charging into 57 shots of overwatch, 7 powerfist attacks, and the gravis captain.

Flamers could be good, but the short threat range means people can charge them from outside it, and it's harder to deliver them into range. I'll probably eventually build some, but do 6x bolters first.

How do you feel that compares to Assault Cannon Tarantulas?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

goose willis posted:

You would think a company like Games Workshop could afford to hire animators to make awesome trailers instead of just panning across still images

Bitch please, given the art assets that video just might be a days work. 2 days would give me time to get some really great effects going.

If that was a fully animated piece you're looking at 3 months lead time and at least 3 people to pay instead of the one you pay for the motion comic.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's a reason MtG only did one animated trailer for their sets, and the rest use that awkward twining on the card art.

Also, holy poo poo Plague Apothecaries.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah proper animation at a quality which isn't laughable is loving expensive, they're not doing that for every model release.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do you feel that compares to Assault Cannon Tarantulas?

Well they can move, and are effective while doing so. If I need to hold a point the tarantulas are fine, but usually I'd rather be mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question for Space Marine players - I've never really ran bikes before, but I just picked up 7 NoS today for $20 (the old 1996 ones).

How can I kit these guys out to best complement my Howling Griffons?

Can they take close combat weapons, or are they pretty much a shooty unit?