Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

You are still not grasping the problem. The issue isn't that Nuclear Power Plants have initially low throughput, it's that we have no methods to construct nuclear power plants that don't involve fossil fuels. Every single nuclear power plant has to be subsidised via oil and coal. There is no battery powered heavy machinery mining for uranium. No electric freight trains that deliver this to the plant. No excavators or cranes or cement factories that don't use oil as basic inputs. In theory, we could power these things with just electricity but it's the exact same wishful thinking behind solar forges that can bootstrap continuous production of solar panels without fossil fuels. It works on paper but there are no functioning models of it anywhere. You would have to build this new infrastructure entirely from scratch, and the problem is that oil is projected to decline exponentially each year as demand increases but supply dwindles. Even if every single government in the world saw the scope of this problem and initiated strict and severe rationing, diverting all remaining petroleum reserves to critical functions like agriculture and emergency services while they focused solely on building new nuclear plants, you would still be unable to create enough Nuclear plants to meet demands before everything collapses.

And saying that Urban Farming can't work because it uses more energy is ridiculous, almost every single one of your ancestors had to employ some form of subsistence farming to avoid starving. Plants derive their energy from the Sun. The idea behind Urban Farming/Permaculture is to employ techniques to increase farming yields in a way that can enrich the soil and isn't reliant on petroleum derivatives in order to remain viable. Cuba empirically proved these techniques can scale, and they're already being put to use in places like Detroit.

so grow some plants and make the oil from them
take a fuckin pill dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so old I remember when Cold Fusion and Hydrogen Fuel Cells were the utopian energy sources :(

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Biofuels are a good example of something that can't work because it costs more energy than it saves. Ethanol has an appalingly bad EROEI, and you have to use up massive amounts of farmland to produce it, which just accelerates the whole enormous worldwide famine thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dont get this argument at all. is it that mine carts can't be nuclear powered therefore nuclear power is impossible

because thats what i'm getting and that's retarded

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
might as well not do anything ever due to the need to use petroleum based products

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

All of Obama's ineffectual high road taking and those three percentage points and a lost presidency are what he got for it.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dont get this argument at all. is it that mine carts can't be nuclear powered therefore nuclear power is impossible

because thats what i'm getting and that's retarded

p sure thats all hes got

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Dairy Days posted:

p sure thats all hes got

It's basic Thermodynamics. Capitalism isn't going to keep the machines running on empty promises and wishful thinking.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Digiwizzard posted:

You are still not grasping the problem. The issue isn't that Nuclear Power Plants have initially low throughput, it's that we have no methods to construct nuclear power plants that don't involve fossil fuels. Every single nuclear power plant has to be subsidised via oil and coal. There is no battery powered heavy machinery mining for uranium. No electric freight trains that deliver this to the plant. No excavators or cranes or cement factories that don't use oil as basic inputs. In theory, we could power these things with just electricity but it's the exact same wishful thinking behind solar forges that can bootstrap continuous production of solar panels without fossil fuels. It works on paper but there are no functioning models of it anywhere. You would have to build this new infrastructure entirely from scratch, and the problem is that oil is projected to decline exponentially each year as demand increases but supply dwindles. Even if every single government in the world saw the scope of this problem and initiated strict and severe rationing, diverting all remaining petroleum reserves to critical functions like agriculture and emergency services while they focused solely on building new nuclear plants, you would still be unable to create enough Nuclear plants to meet demands before everything collapses.

Meanwhile we can mine coal pretty easily? What is your argument here?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/885321602484842498
check the replies

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/885207428975009792

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Digiwizzard posted:

And saying that Urban Farming can't work because it uses more energy is ridiculous, almost every single one of your ancestors had to employ some form of subsistence farming to avoid starving. Plants derive their energy from the Sun. The idea behind Urban Farming/Permaculture is to employ techniques to increase farming yields in a way that can enrich the soil and isn't reliant on petroleum derivatives in order to remain viable. Cuba empirically proved these techniques can scale, and they're already being put to use in places like Detroit.
Nuclear power uses less steel & concrete per megawatt than anything else out there my man, and it's the 'per megawatt' count that matters. Like I said: transport and construction not being electrified is not a uniquely nuclear problem, you're going to get exactly the same issues (and worse) with renewables like wind turbines.

But you seem to be taking it to the extreme conclusion, that energy shortages mean that any large infrastructure projects are effectively doomed, which is quite frankly absurd. Oil is not going to run out anytime soon, that's not the issue. There's plenty of untapped reserves in Venezuela and such. The issue is of increasing prices, as extraction costs increase. That imposes scarcity, or rather, the increase in prices will reflect an increasing scarcity, but it's the people with the lowest ability to pay that stop buying oil first - large construction projects will continue so long as they remain profitable (or rather - the shift in prices will lead to a shift in the allocation of extracted resources).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

It's basic Thermodynamics. Capitalism isn't going to keep the machines running on empty promises and wishful thinking.

then why do anything, entropy can't be permanently reversed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Digiwizzard posted:

Biofuels are a good example of something that can't work because it costs more energy than it saves. Ethanol has an appalingly bad EROEI, and you have to use up massive amounts of farmland to produce it, which just accelerates the whole enormous worldwide famine thing.

Okay, EROEI for nuclear is 75, we hook that up to a very inefficient system that has a EROEI of 0.1 to produce biodiesel or some other hydrocarbon fuel storage (navy's got some tech for that they're trying to use on aircraft carrier right now)

That's still, what, EROEI of 7.5?

Oil sands are hovering at... 5 or 6 currently.

Not seeing a 'thermodynamically impossible' situation here.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

incredible

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Meanwhile we can mine coal pretty easily? What is your argument here?

Pretty easily? Remaining coal ore reserves require more energy than ever to extract, and almost all of that infrastructure also runs on Oil. You can substitute some coal for oil, but energy is lost in the substitution process, and since there's a limited amount of Coal remaining that becomes exponentially more expensive to extract and transport..

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i'm too focused on joy citing animeright.news

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

then why do anything, entropy can't be permanently reversed

might as well crawl into a hole in the wall and die i guess

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol @ joy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dairy Days posted:

might as well crawl into a hole in the wall and die i guess

You fool! We can't just make holes in walls, do you have any idea how much oil the hole making machines need?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
All I'm saying is to prepare yourself guys. On some level you all understand that Capitalism is an enormous ponzi scheme, don't be shocked when you find out the people in charge have literally no plan for the future.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why the christ is joy reid even reading let alone linking to literal anime nazis

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what did she post? looks like she deleted it

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

might as well not do anything ever due to the need to use petroleum based products

finally i have an excuse for my lifestyle!!!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pluralistberry/status/885359769514586112

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what did she post? looks like she deleted it

she linked a story about Kushner from animerightnews.info

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Digiwizzard posted:

All I'm saying is to prepare yourself guys. On some level you all understand that Capitalism is an enormous ponzi scheme, don't be shocked when you find out the people in charge have literally no plan for the future.

And apparently since any potential solution doesn't involve violating the second law of thermodynamics, a plan for the future is literally impossible. So let's maybe try to use less bad solutions in the interim even if they aren't "Final" Solutions.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

:holy:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
annie may right dot news.

fuckin' hell, reid.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, and new york dems are loving trash, in case y'all didn't already know that:

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/885357305268711424

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
premptive lol @ neoliberals talking about the rich man's burden.

because you know it'll happen

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
Guys just play Fate of the World and you'll soon become climate change experts.

Also lol @ joy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao, oh joy....

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
joy ann reid, anime nazi

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

https://twitter.com/pluralistberry/status/885358302229659648

it rules that reid can keep giving a platform to insane people and nazis and she'll never get in actual trouble for it

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

And apparently since any potential solution doesn't involve violating the second law of thermodynamics, a plan for the future is literally impossible. So let's maybe try to use less bad solutions in the interim even if they aren't "Final" Solutions.

There's a simple solution that doesen't involve violating the second law of thermodynamics, and that's Permaculture. I know it's not what people want to hear but it's just a fact of the problem we face. This system of endless growth and consumption has physical constraints and we've almost reached them.

Learn to grow food now, learn skills that will be useful in a local economy that don't require lots of energy or resources. Civilisation existed prior to industrial Capitalism and now its going to change again into something different. We can work towards a better world and have something like Cuba, or just give up and admit we're totally powerless in the face of Capitalism as everyone starves.

Digiwizzard has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Jul 13, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I Am A Robot posted:

Guys just play Fate of the World and you'll soon become climate change experts.

Also lol @ joy

good rear end game. even though I never did save the world. it's extremely grim while still introducing all kinds of far future solutions like climate change predicting ai. or sterilizing all the poors.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

joy ann reid, anime nazi

gonna rule when she's adopted as the queen of Kekistan or whatever the gently caress those guys do

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Digiwizzard posted:

There's a simple solution that doesen't involve violating the second law of thermodynamics, and that's Permaculture. I know it's not what people want to hear but it's just a fact of the problem we face. This system of endless growth and consumption has physical constraints and we've almost reached them.

Learn to grow food now, learn skills that will be useful in a local economy that don't require lots of energy or resources. Civilisation existed prior to industrial Capitalism and now its going to change again into something different. We can work towards a better world and have something like Cuba, or just give up and admit we're totally powerless in the face of Capitalism as everyone starves.

oh so you're an anarcho-primitivst, does that one woman still draw that comic with the talking rabbits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
if industrial civilization is on the way out im pretty okay with just dying

• Locked thread