Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

New trailer for FEAR-like indie FPS Trepang2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU1hbxDnmjk

Release sometime next year.

Hope it doesn't forget one notable aspect of FEAR: a slew of uberguns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

time to go back to quakespasm and try dwell

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Carmack Talk:

I just finished Masters of Doom. If you haven't read it, you drat well should. It does a great job of capturing how truly brilliant Carmack and Romero are - and what tremendous assholes they must have been back then.

It was particularly timely as I'm pushing my way through Quake for the first time and it is definitely growing on me. Its a clusterfuck of a title, with the weapons and art design and enemies nearly incoherent. And yet the mashup somehow works and becomes the whole drat point.

Also, I'm just happy it avoids the Duke Nukem embarrassing 90s attitude (Remember when Nintendo had a hilarious 'play it loud' slogan?) that particularly defined that entire era.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 26, 2021

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I figured “Masters of Doom” was required reading for the thread. It’s amazing and I need to re-read it.

Anyway it definitely goes into Carmack’s ticks and speech patterns.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Quake and Spice Girls being contemporaries seems so wrong even though I know it's accurate.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

back in the late 90's/early 2000's quakecon days, my pals and I would goof on Carmack by adding "mnnnglayven" to the end of sentences, like Professor Frink

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Charlie Brooker!?

I knew he did game mag work but wow

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was mostly kidding, since he has hyperthymesia, which has led to an insanely good memory.

This is evident every time he gently and politely slams someone else, like Tim Willetts, for either misremembering or making poo poo up, and corrects them in detail.

Look like one in a billion people have hyperthymesia. I'm not saying Romero doesn't, but like show me a 5 year extensive diagnosis where his brain scans can be compared to everyone else or it's just "he had a great memory and is exceedingly confident in it" which no one would argue at all.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Fun fact: Brazil's biggest comic franchise, Monica's Gang, once published this story of some of its characters playing Quake. It was published back in '98, and it's surprisingly faithful to the reference material.

More info in the story writer's blog:
http://emersonabreu.blogspot.com/2009/05/cebolinha-e-cascao-no-mundo-de-quake.html
http://emersonabreu.blogspot.com/2011/06/quake.html

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 27, 2021

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

MJBuddy posted:

Look like one in a billion people have hyperthymesia. I'm not saying Romero doesn't, but like show me a 5 year extensive diagnosis where his brain scans can be compared to everyone else or it's just "he had a great memory and is exceedingly confident in it" which no one would argue at all.

Yah, I mean to be clear this is something Romero claims and not something that an SA forum poster made up :-) but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a loosey-goosey self-diagnosis.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if people still consider it cheap to use the lightning gun underwater? Yeah it kills you but it also kills everyone else!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just played some Quake and some were complaining about camping. Really brought me back.:unsmith:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Been replaying Quake on normal because I couldn't recall if I ever played through all of the episodes or just died a lot in DM.

Episode 4 is my least favorite by many country miles. Not even the general difficulty increase, but the levels have too much zig-zagging for keys with more enemies warping in to slow me down. Get out of my drat way, ya drat dirty apes!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Indie FEAR-alike Trepang2 have released a new trailer to mark the news of their signing with Team 17.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Well, after all this Quake talk, it's time to go mess around with....Raven's stuff! Let's see how this all goes
(I recently did a replay of Quake/SoA/DoD/Q2/Reck/QZ, I can't do it again)

- Heretic
- Hexen (all 3 classes)
- Hexen expansion (all 3 classes)
- Hexen 2 (all 4 classes)
- Hexen 2 expansion (all 4 classes, and the new class, which means replaying Hexen 2 from scratch)

(Sorry Heretic 2, but apparently you're not cool)

All of these games are good. Enjoy them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lol must have lost the scan for that one, thanks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Negostrike posted:

Fun fact: Brazil's biggest comic franchise, Monica's Gang, once published this story of some of its characters playing Quake. It was published back in '98, and it's surprisingly faithful to the reference material.

More info in the story writer's blog:
http://emersonabreu.blogspot.com/2009/05/cebolinha-e-cascao-no-mundo-de-quake.html
http://emersonabreu.blogspot.com/2011/06/quake.html
brazilian shambler's waxed

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLYN3rgKkw

Neat looking mod that swaps the timeframe of the Half-Life 2 campaign. Highway 17 at night looks cool and moody, Ravenholm during the day looks hilarious in a fun way. Always up for another excuse to play HL2. Devs said release might be soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zaphod42 posted:

Serious? Dude I can't remember the projects I worked on 6 months ago in complete detail much less years ago. That's nothing.

Again, I was kidding, especially with the last line, since he usually corrects former coworkers in detail after wishing them well.

I know he's ok. I'm just really used to him tweeting about all of these details that he seems to be the only person who remembers, so it was a little weird to hear him say "I don't remember..."

And yeah, HE says he has hyperthymesia, who knows if that's the case, or if he just somehow remembers a ton of stuff from his time at id :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

brazilian shambler's waxed

Just leave a lil shambling strip

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

Guillermus posted:

Heretic 2 is actually better game than both Hexen 1 and 2.

I definitely remember it as being better than everything else in Hexen / Heretic

Too bad it's so hard to play now, took me forever to get a hold of it again a few years ago when I wanted to do a replay

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Uh what's the deal with these prices for the Hexen 2 mission pack? I'm sure I remember it being at least £120 cheaper when I bought it a few years back :stonk:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S19ldqoLbos
Civvie weighs in.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Him trying to talk around the fact that the anime sex game is an anime sex game is pretty funny.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is Civvie Canadian? He sounds like Wayne from Letterkenny and I can't STOP thinking about that

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Civvie Canadian? He sounds like Wayne from Letterkenny and I can't STOP thinking about that
He's from New England, apparently.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So Dread Templar's good now? I played the demo last year or whatever and found it pretty mediocre.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

He's from New England, apparently.

Ah, so almost.

:canada:

Also, I don't hear the Wayne comparison at all.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

So Dread Templar's good now? I played the demo last year or whatever and found it pretty mediocre.

I bought the EA version and then refunded it in under an hour. Its not "bad" its just terribly generic to me and the buttrock is especially grating

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Same. I want to like Dread Templar but it's just kinda. There. I appreciate the fact that it exists though, I just think it's super cool how folks are able to make their own drat dream shooters. :allears: I have ideas but not the skillset :negative:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

haveblue posted:

I found an ogre somewhere (I want to say E1M6) that was completely unresponsive, he didn't react to me standing next to him or shooting him repeatedly. Made a good obstacle for avoiding the fiend, at least.

Dredging up an post that's a few days old here, because I've finally tracked down where I've seen this bug and what might be the fix:
https://www.quake-info-pool.net/q1/qcfix.htm

Specifically it's the fixes which change lines like:
self.nextthink = self.nextthink + random()*0.5;
into
self.nextthink = time + 0.1 + random()*0.5;

Technical info on why that's a problem: self.nextthink is actually reset to zero by the Quake engine each time a think function runs, so the original line of code can be reduced to
self.nextthink = self.nextthink 0 + random()*0.5;
Most of the time that's still OK, but there's something like a 1 in 2^32 chance of random() returning exactly zero. If that happens, the entire calculation = 0, and the ogre will never run the initialisation code that brings him to life.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

- Heretic
- Hexen (all 3 classes)
- Hexen expansion (all 3 classes)
Both Heretic and Hexen have a bit of a reputation for getting tedious over time, so if you want to mix it up a bit you can try the Wayfarer's Tome and Hexen Rebalanced mods; both are attempts to make the gameplay a little bit more fluid without changing too much.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I jumped back into Quake because of the remaster and I've just made it to episode 4.

1) I completely forgot just how good the music is.
2) Playing Quake is about 10x more stressful than Doom. I can't really explain why, maybe it's due to all the trap spawns.
3) This 30-ish year old game is way more fun than most things released in the last 10 years.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I find Doom way more stressful in harder levels for some reason. Quake feels a lot easier to me.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Kins posted:

Indie FEAR-alike Trepang2 have released a new trailer to mark the news of their signing with Team 17.

I'm glad that's still being worked on. It's been ages since I heard anything about it and was afraid it got canned. The world needs more quality F.E.A.R. style games. Even Selaco's looking like one, minus the slow-mo.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I find Doom way more stressful in harder levels for some reason. Quake feels a lot easier to me.

Maybe I'm just a big baby and Quake spooks me.

On a side note, the item sound effects are iconic. I'm hard-pressed to think of another game where picking up ammo and health sounds so good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dramicus posted:

2) Playing Quake is about 10x more stressful than Doom. I can't really explain why, maybe it's due to all the trap spawns.

I mean, the most common enemy has a loving grenade launcher. I definitely feel way more on-edge, in a good way, then when I'm blasting through Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doom is more death by a thousand cuts. You die because an imp you didn't see in a corner of a room, a chaingunner you reacted too late, a mancubus fireball you couldn't avoid because you were busy avoiding Revenants rockets. The accumulation of little mistakes kill you.