Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It’s not so much the price of the Arkham horror tcg that throws me off, just the redundancy of it I guess. The core set IS like half off on amazon so really you could get two for the price of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It’s not so much the price of the Arkham horror tcg that throws me off, just the redundancy of it I guess. The core set IS like half off on amazon so really you could get two for the price of one.

It's not even that bad. I think you needed four netrunner core boxes or something ridiculous like that? They've gotten better

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Three to get a playset of Netrunner, L5R, and the LotR LCGs. Their LCG are usually solid but the core boxes are scams.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
On the bright side they seem to be getting better about that, Marvel Champions is good with a single (but more expensive) core set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ripley posted:

On the bright side they seem to be getting better about that, Marvel Champions is good with a single (but more expensive) core set.

The idea was that they'd attract more players by keeping the buy-in low, and only the fanatics would even want to buy multiple cores.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

The idea was that they'd attract more players by keeping the buy-in low, and only the fanatics would even want to buy multiple cores.

In practice what happens is the game is unplayable with a single core.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

It's not even that bad. I think you needed four netrunner core boxes or something ridiculous like that? They've gotten better

I think you needed three to be complete, but two would be mostly complete. I don't know how important it was after some xpacs.

Edit: In case anyone didn't know about the dedicated LCG thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608727&pagenumber=176&perpage=40

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 29, 2019

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I don't know about the others, but LOTR was perfectly fine with a single core. Everybody doesn't NEED to have every Gandalf.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats good with deckbuilders if I want something that isnt fantasy kingdoms or maids?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Whats good with deckbuilders if I want something that isnt fantasy kingdoms or maids?

Valley of the Kings, Eminent Domain, The Quest for El Dorado, Aeon's End and Dale of Merchants.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Eminent Domain is not exactly a deckbuilder but does use deckbuilder elements. Its one of my favorites.

Valley if the Kings is also very good and just came out with a complete collection, or you can get any of the standalone games.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Playing tutorial of Imperial Assault now. This learn to play guide and rule reference book make me want to kill myself. Very basic things just go unexplained or dropped into a single sentence in a random section. I’ve been interested in FFG stuff before but based on this it’s going to be a hard pass on everything in the future.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Trying to DM the campaign of Imperial Assault was one of the most frustrating things I ever did. So many tiny fiddly decks with obscure names to keep track of.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Synthbuttrange posted:

In addition to the others listed, Puzzle Strike and Arctic Scavengers are options.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Aramoro posted:

In practice what happens is the game is unplayable with a single core.

...the OP was talking about Marvel where this is exactly the opposite of true.

Jedit posted:

They’ve gone even further than just making the core support four players with good decks right out of the box - the upcoming hero packs are full decks on their own (with a smattering of other cards) so if someone wants to learn to play or give their own deck or whatever they can literally just grab one off the shelf. The distribution for Marvel Champions is really cool overall, imo.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I got to play dune. 4 player basic rules.

I was atreides and I ended up allying with harkonnen against the fremen and empire players. We won.

Fremen seen really wreak in the basic rules, and harkonnen is a great ally for atreides, since that neutralizes one of the hidden information sources beyond your reach.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Puzzle Strike is the best 2p deckbuilder I think. It's very Sirlin though (weird fighting game theme, asymmetric character select game)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ruzihm posted:

I was atreides and I ended up allying with harkonnen against the fremen and empire players. We won.

Fremen seen really wreak in the basic rules, and harkonnen is a great ally for atreides, since that neutralizes one of the hidden information sources beyond your reach.

Basic rules aren't worth the bother. Go full rules, and try to get the max player count. As FFG showed us with Rex, every little thing you deduct from 6 player advanced rules Dune impacts the overall quality of the experience, and the real deal is amazing.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Bodanarko posted:

Playing tutorial of Imperial Assault now. This learn to play guide and rule reference book make me want to kill myself. Very basic things just go unexplained or dropped into a single sentence in a random section. I’ve been interested in FFG stuff before but based on this it’s going to be a hard pass on everything in the future.

Ignore all tutorials. Dive in deep.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Puzzle strike is almost better than Sirlin deserves to have designed; Dominion is almost still the deckbuilding 2p king in spite of it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bodanarko posted:

IA is from five years ago, which may not seem like a lot but it was one of their last games before being acquired by Asmodee. Their rulebooks have greatly improved since then, at least in my opinion.

Their insane love of tokens and lovely little mini-cards, on the other hand....

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The more I play Inis, the more I think that Geis tends to be a kingmaker card, but maybe I am just bitter because I lost a game to the Brenn because they decided to Geis me instead of the Brenn. It doesn't advance any single strategy, it just hoses someone who, for example, drafts the Bard + an attack card. This is coming from someone who plays control decks in Magic, but God alive do I hate Geis.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Here I Stand is a much better game than Dune, whoosh.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ruzihm posted:

I wouldn't bother playing with any number other than six. It throws off faction balance too much

Also the basic/advanced rules split is quite clumsy. It's an attempt to make a definitive edition from a collection of modules and tweaks over time. I find some of it is just fiddly busywork. But I haven't played nearly enough to say that with full confidence. I'm sure in a year there will be consensus about which modules make for the best game

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm sure in a year there will be consensus about which modules make for the best game
Why a year? It's a reprint of an old-rear end game, if there isn't a consensus by now, one is unlikely to appear anytime soon.

Speaking of modules, are the expansions worth it? I have them printed but they seem very fiddly and kinda "will play them once so I can say I did, then shelve and forget about them."

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 30, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Anyone played Cthulu: Death May Die? Picked it up on sale because I'm curious how a non-FFG mythos game plays/feels.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Is Pret a Porter any good or is it just another messy Ignacy game? The local game shop has a copy of the third edition in, and I remember it getting discussion ages ago when it was newer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

:same:

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anyone played Cthulu: Death May Die? Picked it up on sale because I'm curious how a non-FFG mythos game plays/feels.

It’s alright. Sanity as experience is a good tension - you want to take some early sanity hits so you can start to power up your character, but the more sanity you take the dice the monsters are rolling too. The big bad still felt like a pile of hit points you had to shotgun to death. Joel Eddy’s got a review if you want to see more.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Moonwolf posted:

Is Pret a Porter any good or is it just another messy Ignacy game? The local game shop has a copy of the third edition in, and I remember it getting discussion ages ago when it was newer.

I played the first edition a couple time shortly after it came out. I remember thinking it was okay but not fantastic. Not having really thought about it for the past however many years doesn’t do much for my impression of it either.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Moonwolf posted:

I've played a single game so far and it seems fine but with some ropey graphic design and a real run away leader problem.

The theme is excellent though so i assume it'll come out to play more than if it was named Strasbourg or Marseille or whatever

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Panzeh posted:

I could have bought dune several times lately bu tI have HIS and VQ and Dominant Species already for big 6p facefuck games and they hardly ever get played.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Udelar posted:

Eminent Domain is not exactly a deckbuilder but does use deckbuilder elements. Its one of my favorites.

Valley if the Kings is also very good and just came out with a complete collection, or you can get any of the standalone games.

Seconding that Eminent Domain is quite good yes, There’s a follow mechanic that lets you jump in on another player’s action so there isn’t the downtime of other deck builders, which sometimes feel like multiplayer solitaire.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Why a year? It's a reprint of an old-rear end game, if there isn't a consensus by now, one is unlikely to appear anytime soon.

It's a new edition, it takes a while to reach consensus. Maybe it'll be faster. It hasn't happened yet

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My only beef with EmDom is how tedious your first game or two is with new people due to the massive deck of cards you are expected to shop in.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Countblanc posted:

My only beef with EmDom is how tedious your first game or two is with new people due to the massive deck of cards you are expected to shop in.

The rules say you can play without techs for an intro game but that's even worse because it makes the game really dull. I haven't found a good solution yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panzeh posted:

It sure isn't. It's a mediocre CDG with a strongly thematic integration but as a political game it's hampered by how much the players can actually interact with each other.

The COIN games are the better evolution of HIS because the forces are actually asymmetric which means players need to work with each others' unique strengths. Also resources can usually be traded freely so negotiations can be conducted inbetween plays.

As a concept, Maria and Triumph & Tragedy are both better war games that manage to integrate political decisions cleanly within the restrictions of the game mechanics.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Both Dune and HIS are interesting games hampered by old design philosophies that create a ton of NPEs and honestly there’s no reason why people nowadays would play either game.

(:goonsay:)

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Every time I think I have a handle on this hobby someone uses a bunch of acronyms I can't quite figure out. CDG and NPE are new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
card driven game and negative player experience