Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Different people & jurisdictions have different ideas of morality. Some are very enlightenment-brained and think "you can't ban it if it isn't harming anybody and animals aren't people duh" (that logic also leads to lots of tedious redditor arguments about incest)
While others are fine with just saying "we believe this is act is inherently wrong/gross/immoral so we're banning it, simple". Downside for that second one is that the same logic is often used for various nonsense religious rules.

In addition to this, some places have found a need to ban the practice for some reason, while others haven't because sheepfucking is less common. It's like banning cliff diving in places where lots of people die from jumping off cliffs, but not in Denmark where we don't have cliffs.

Incidentally, Denmark banned bestiality like 10 years ago after some stories about sex tourism to farms. Apparently a thing that had been going on for a while, but became a problem in the political discourse after it went into the mainstream.
(Animal cruelty laws have existed way longer, which in theory should be enough?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Powered Descent posted:

The thing happened on Friday, which was the first day. .

There's no proof of that but there is proof of people just deciding when Easter would be. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_of_Easter

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Does the whole "child bearing hips" thing have any grounding in reality with how (relatively) easy child birth is?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

YggiDee posted:

If Jesus died on Good Friday and came back after three days wouldn't that be the Monday?

Most European countries celebrate Easter on the Monday. It always seemed weird to me growing up in the states but everybody was sick of my dumb questions in Sunday school so they never answered that one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

YggiDee posted:

If Jesus died on Good Friday and came back after three days wouldn't that be the Monday?

In Judaism, a day actually begins in the evening, so Jews still observe the Sabbath from the Friday evening to the Saturday evening. In most pre-Christian European cultures, including Rome, on the other hand, a day started at dawn. And now that we have actual clocks, you can say it starts at midnight. So basically, Good Friday actually begins on the Thursday evening.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Inceltown posted:

Does the whole "child bearing hips" thing have any grounding in reality with how (relatively) easy child birth is?

As a general rule it's easier to give birth with wider hips but larger people can also have larger babies which makes giving birth harder. I dunno what the stats work out to on that one but in "the old days" it was probably more significant than it is now with modern medicine.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

thank you divine being!

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

During the trans-Atlantic slave trade era, how did they actually physically acquire people to be enslaved? Were the Europeans just randomly grabbing people out of Africa, or was it more complex than that?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

two fish posted:

During the trans-Atlantic slave trade era, how did they actually physically acquire people to be enslaved? Were the Europeans just randomly grabbing people out of Africa, or was it more complex than that?

Most were captured in battle or kidnapped, some were already enslaved and purchased by the Europeans. Slavery has existed for at least as long as recorded history but the social relationship of it has been pretty varied and different across the world. The capitalist slave trade was obviously the most organized and brutal form of it because of how the material structure of international capitalism and colonialism worked as well as the development of the concept of race as justification both scientific and cultural for the dehumanization of anyone who wasn't white though.

The demand for slaves by the Europeans caused a lot of intracontinental conflict and enslavement for people to be sold off as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

two fish posted:

From what I understand, sorta yes. Various tribes in the area would take PoWs and also just do raids to capture people, who were then sold and some tribes sold their own children or members of their tribes as punishments or to pay off debts. Then the Euros got in on it as well. There are probably a lot of deeper complexities vis a vis who was captured and sold first along ethnic/tribal lines at first but by the end I believe who they were before being put through the trans-Atlantic passage shifted more than once. It's a several hundred year period full of greedy assholes who didn't care about the 12 million people they sold after all.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If criminal bookies are willing to use violence to get money from gambling debtors, why would they not be willing to extort money from people who don’t have debts?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Baron Porkface posted:

If criminal bookies are willing to use violence to get money from gambling debtors, why would they not be willing to extort money from people who don’t have debts?

the debtors are also implicated by doing business with them, regular people just go to the cops

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

But also, they do.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_racket

"Nice shop you've got here, but there's a lot of bad people in this area. We can make sure your windows aren't broken every week or the store set on fire. You know, protect you"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

Why is it so much easier to focus on tasks when I am sick/feverish? For what it's worth, I have moderate, unmedicated (diagnosed by a clinician, not Reddit) ADD.
ADHD is reasonably well understood, but like a lot of psychological conditions the exact neurotrans, itter pathways that produce symptoms consistent with ADHD aren't fully understood or defined. Certain stimulants suppress uptake and reuptake of a wide range of neurotransmitters in the prefrontal cortex. A good example is that while pharmaceutical grade doses and quantities of methylphenidate will produce more reliable and consistent effects, it's substantially similar to pharmaceutical grade doses of cocaine in the same areas of the brain.

two fish posted:

Is it true that combat rations constipate the hell out of you, specifically for those situations?
Nah, combat rations are designed first and foremost to cram as many calories as possible into the most dense packaging possible as long as the person they're issued to troops that are able to find a rock or something.

Qubee posted:

I have a UK single wall socket that I plug a 6-plug extension cord into, but it's still not enough for my PC corner and I'm constantly juggling plugs around depending on what I need in the moment. I want to hire an electrician to put in a double wall socket plug. Electricians in the middle east are all mainly cowboys who don't have any official certification and I've come across loads of hack jobs or just outright dangerous practices whilst living here.
If the electrician comes and just swaps the single socket plate to a double socket one with the same wiring, is this okay? Does he need to increase the size of the existing wire? Will I not overheat the existing wire by technically doubling the amount of power I'm pulling through the same wire? Because I had a guy come out and he said he'll just swap it to a double socket design without changing the wiring, but how is that any different to me plugging an extension cord into another extension cord and just running 11 devices out of the one socket?
First option: have sufficient power to the socket with enough overhead to actually provide the power you need.
Second option: Get a UPS and figure out what draws the most inrush current until powering up the system looks like the scene from Apollo 13
Best/safest option: specify how much power you need to run it safely and run a sequencer dedicated to your gear with plug types specified so it's unequivocally their fault if something goes wrong.

two fish posted:

Why are there state variations in the legality of bestiality? How is this something that isn't universally a felony?
US legislation usually happens when people get loud enough to demand action. The only peer reviewed research I've seen has found that it doesn't cause any harm to the animals, but that's one study and I'm not about to throw out everything I thought I knew based on one study.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

greazeball posted:

Most European countries celebrate Easter on the Monday. It always seemed weird to me growing up in the states but everybody was sick of my dumb questions in Sunday school so they never answered that one.

That's not entirely correct.

Christians in Europe celebrate Easter on Sunday, going to church, spending time with family etc.
Then, since most workplaces would be closed on Sundays anyway, so it doesn't get you an extra day off, governments added Easter Monday as a non-religious official holiday. It has no religious meaning, other than the christian families that spent all Sunday in church are then able to go out and have fun on Monday.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Why do some UK accents add an 'R' sound to the end of some words, if they end in a vowel and the next word also starts in a vowel?

I mean I sort of get it, it rolls off the tongue better, but what's the origin of this, is it simply one of those 'someone did it to be fashionable and it caught on' things? I'm talking about, for example, a journalist saying

"Gaza and the West Bank"

But it comes off like

"Gazar and the West Bank"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Why do some UK accents add an 'R' sound to the end of some words, if they end in a vowel and the next word also starts in a vowel?

I mean I sort of get it, it rolls off the tongue better, but what's the origin of this, is it simply one of those 'someone did it to be fashionable and it caught on' things? I'm talking about, for example, a journalist saying

"Gaza and the West Bank"

But it comes off like

It's not an R as such, it's that the A it's pronounced differently. Just a vowel pronunciation dialect thing, kinda like the way Cartman says the vowel in Kyle's name weird in South Park.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Whys in language rarely have a defined answer beyond "that's just how they learned it". For the origins, at a pure guess it may have to do with Norman influence. French is big on language sounding smooth and flowing. Except for C R F and L, final consonants are not pronounced ... unless the next word starts with a vowel. And, very similarly to the added Rs in British English, they'll add a T in some cases, even to the point of adding it explicitly in the written form. For example, inversion is a way to ask a question, like in English the sentence "I can walk" can be inverted to "Can I walk?" to make it a question. But in French, "Elle a la livre" -- She has the book -- when inverted becomes "A-t-elle la livre?". Each letter / word of that question can be mapped to the statement version above except for that t, which doesn't itself translate to any word, its only purpose is to make the sentence flow better, sounding like "ah tell" instead of "ah elle".

But I'm no language guy so I could be completely off.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Speaker posted:

"Gaza and the West Bank"

But it comes off like

If you want to fall down a hole it’s called the Intrusive-R and it’s generally a feature of accents that usually don’t pronounce the R sound

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

"Gaza and the West Bank"

But it comes off like

I think this video by Geoff Lindsey gives a good explanation of the intrusive r despite the clickbait-ish title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnEIKavamks

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 31, 2024

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

BonHair posted:

It's not an R as such, it's that the A it's pronounced differently.
No, the phenomenon being described is just like an R in other words.Here's a video with a million examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SPArSawsGQ

regulargonzalez posted:

Whys in language rarely have a defined answer beyond "that's just how they learned it". ...
But I'm no language guy so I could be completely off.
Most of the field of linguistics is about proving your first statement wrong in various contexts...

Mister Speaker posted:

This is called "linking R" and is sometimes called or confused with the related "intrusive R" (to the point that they share a Wikipedia page).

The basic ideas are
1. As you noted, it's a bit awkward to pronounce vowels back-to-back (maybe why "uh-oh" has a glottal stop between the two vowels)
2. Many accents in the UK are non-rhotic where they drop the Rs that Americans would say at the end of a word unless the following word starts with a vowel. But if you're not thinking about the spelling/origin of the words you're speaking, this can easily become the rule "always stick an R in-between".

The linguistics megathread in the academics and languages subforum has people who know more about this stuff then me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Fascinating stuff! I've always found linguistics to be really interesting, I'll check out that thread.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Why do dog treats exist when human foods can also be dog treats that are cheaper, healthier, and also edible for humans?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Capitalism.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DildenAnders posted:

Why do dog treats exist when human foods can also be dog treats that are cheaper, healthier, and also edible for humans?

I assume it's because the average person doesn't know what is/is not healthy for dogs

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This way my dog knows my food is my food and he's not getting any.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Those of you who have actually been to Baltimore: what's it like? I've never been in Baltimore proper, only through it on various forms of transit, so I know nothing besides the popular media depiction of it as being run-down and extremely dangerous.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Fascinating stuff! I've always found linguistics to be really interesting, I'll check out that thread.

The linking R is the consonant that comes between the "ah" vowel sound and another vowel. Some other ones that you probably use (and so don't notice when other people use them) are the linking W and the linking Y. After the "ooh" or "oh" vowel sound and before another vowel, we often use W to separate them. "Do (w)over" or "go (w)again". After the "ee" vowel sound, we often insert the Y consonant (as in "yes") before another vowel like "the (y)end" or "three (y)animals".

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Is sinking a container ship likely to be more or less environmentally destructive than letting it keep operating.

Please note I am not planning on sinking one, just wondering if the Houthi attacks on ships is helping or hurting the environment more when they sink one.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

From what I remember being taught when I studied some linguistics at uni (although it's been a long time), the answer to the question of why we do that is basically because it's easier. It takes less effort to insert a consonant there as opposed to stopping voicing in between two vowels, and whatever sound is inserted is just the result of that sound being produced because it's the position the mouth, lips and tongue are anyway moving between the two vowels. IIRC, when it comes to questions like that about pronunciation the answer is usually either because it's easier and takes less effort (literally, in a physical sense), or it's an influence of other languages/dialects being introduced.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

Is sinking a container ship likely to be more or less environmentally destructive than letting it keep operating.

Please note I am not planning on sinking one, just wondering if the Houthi attacks on ships is helping or hurting the environment more when they sink one.

Sinking ships doesn't affect the demand for goods, it just constrains supply and makes transport more expensive. A sunk ship would eventually be replaced, so you have not just dumped a bunch of stuff in the ocean, but also paid the environmental cost of a second ship.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

two fish posted:

Those of you who have actually been to Baltimore: what's it like? I've never been in Baltimore proper, only through it on various forms of transit, so I know nothing besides the popular media depiction of it as being run-down and extremely dangerous.
There are small pockets that fit that description, but mostly it's not like that at all. It's a fine city and I prefer to spend extended time in Baltimore over nearby DC.
There's a Baltimore / Maryland thread in LAN: Your City Sucks - Regional Discussion if you have more specific questions.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Inceltown posted:

In the long run contributing to the end of the american empire is the single best thing you can do for the environment, but in the short term they'll just replace it (until the point at which western shipbuilding truly does come to and end, which is where we seem to be headed toward).

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

dirby posted:

There are small pockets that fit that description, but mostly it's not like that at all. It's a fine city and I prefer to spend extended time in Baltimore over nearby DC.
There's a Baltimore / Maryland thread in LAN: Your City Sucks - Regional Discussion if you have more specific questions.

:hmmyes: MY WIFE is from Baltimore and I've gone back there with her to visit her family and friends a few times. Baltimore got the same dramatic media treatment that 2000s Detroit or late 80's New York did, so most of what people know is a highlight reel of the worst parts. It has a lot of the same problems major cities do, but like major cities, there are also some fantastic and unique places to visit, like Fell's Point or the Visionary Art Museum. Mostly, though, it's smaller than you probably think it is.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: MY WIFE is from Baltimore and I've gone back there with her to visit her family and friends a few times. Baltimore got the same dramatic media treatment that 2000s Detroit or late 80's New York did, so most of what people know is a highlight reel of the worst parts. It has a lot of the same problems major cities do, but like major cities, there are also some fantastic and unique places to visit, like Fell's Point or the Visionary Art Museum. Mostly, though, it's smaller than you probably think it is.

I've spent a lot of time in Baltimore cause MY SISTER moved there, and this is about what I'd describe. Cool place, nice vibes, some rough parts like any city, maybe rougher than most but it's not like the whole city is some kind of warzone

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

two fish posted:

Why are there state variations in the legality of bestiality? How is this something that isn't universally a felony?
In addition to what other posters have said, it wouldn't actually change much as far as deterrence. It would just determine whether people get sent to federal prison or state prison to support the prison industrial complex if convicted.

Flournival Dixon posted:

In the long run contributing to the end of the american empire is the single best thing you can do for the environment, but in the short term they'll just replace it (until the point at which western shipbuilding truly does come to and end, which is where we seem to be headed toward).
Yeah, this. Letting the amerikan empire keep running is the worst possible outcome for the environment. Some sunk container ships are nothing in comparison.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Orbs posted:

Yeah, this. Letting the amerikan empire keep running is the worst possible outcome for the environment. Some sunk container ships are nothing in comparison.

Definitely. China would step into the power void and their environmental record is awe-inspiring, truly something to behold.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
i dunno if you're being facetious or not but they've built more high speed rail, nuclear power, and electric car charging infrastructure than every other country in the world combined in the last decade or so

generally I'd think that the material structure of capitalism is fundamentally oppositional to a transition to clean energy for pretty obvious reasons but i guess that's a larger discussion than this thread is for

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When you crack your neck, back, kmuckles, etc, what is that noise? What's being cracked? I remember a teacher telling me that your knuckles made the noise because of little pockets of...Water? I don't remember, clearly, and my child and I would like to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Leave posted:

When you crack your neck, back, kmuckles, etc, what is that noise? What's being cracked? I remember a teacher telling me that your knuckles made the noise because of little pockets of...Water? I don't remember, clearly, and my child and I would like to know.

"The sound which comes from cracking one's knuckles is caused by nitrogen gas bubbles compressing and bursting. The nitrogen occurs naturally around these joints. The sound emitted is referred to as cavitation, and it simply means that the gas bubbles are being released or popped." says google.