Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dune is still one of the cleanest pure politics game on the market and somehow still the best combat systems in a mapdudes game. I cringe every time an unmodified target number or matryoshka tiny cards within tiny cards end up in conflict games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NPE is and always will be null pointer exception

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No Pun Excluded

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Bodanarko posted:

Playing tutorial of Imperial Assault now. This learn to play guide and rule reference book make me want to kill myself. Very basic things just go unexplained or dropped into a single sentence in a random section. I’ve been interested in FFG stuff before but based on this it’s going to be a hard pass on everything in the future.

The hilarious thing is that IA came from the era when they were actually starting to get their poo poo together. The predecessor to IA had something like 40 pages of errata for a twenty page rulebook. Teaching first edition descent was a nightmare.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’m playing 1822 and one player is freaking out for being in last and not understanding why and it’s true there are dozens of reasons, some random and some controllable but the decision space is too large to pin it down.

If you’re gonna talk about negative experiences nothing beats an 18xx game but only space aliens play these games regularly so it’s never talked about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have heard nothing good about 22 and frequently wonder why you wouldn’t just play 1817 or 41 instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've never played 22 vanilla but I quite enjoy 22MX.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I've never played 22 vanilla but I quite enjoy 22MX.

I thought vanilla beans were Mexican?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

After one play I can say it’s the most “euro” of 18xx games with the auction feeling straight out of Keyflower. Play time is better than 1817 and it strikes a nice balance of playing with companies and track duckers, but 1880 is still my overall complete package game that’s playable in a weekday after work.

I have nothing bad to say about it. It sits somewhere between 1817 and the terrible Russian game for me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Actually 1822 is immediately superior to every 18xx by removing priority dealer and my hot take is any game with a single first player marker is dumb and bad.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

Actually 1822 is immediately superior to every 18xx by removing priority dealer and my hot take is any game with a single first player marker is dumb and bad.

While I think COIN is trash compared to the standard CDG mechanism from HIS, i definitely agree with you on that WRT the priority deal marker.

I think 22 is a weaker game than 17 but it's way easier for normal people to play it and feel like they're doing something.

USA is the best 18xx tho.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I played Godtear today and it was good. I don’t usually care for skirmish games and I really enjoyed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The priority deal marker is pretty organic. It's more of a marker of the next player under most rules.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

The priority deal marker is pretty organic. It's more of a marker of the next player under most rules.

1822 does the more modern design of turn order being determined by money while every 18xx I’ve played it’s just clockwise order so sometimes you get screwed with no input.

In this era of Splotter becoming a household name I question every design with really boring rules for turn order especially when other elements of a design are tight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Priority deal in 18XX is a great mechanic because it’s yet another lever for players to pull. Arbitrary turn order or rotating turn order would be way worse. Same with Splotter games where turn order is so crucial.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

al-azad posted:

1822 does the more modern design of turn order being determined by money while every 18xx I’ve played it’s just clockwise order so sometimes you get screwed with no input.

In this era of Splotter becoming a household name I question every design with really boring rules for turn order especially when other elements of a design are tight.

Right. I like the 22 turn order because it adds another strategy layer and a reason to keep some cash liquid.

All I'm saying is that while most 18xxes use priority deal it's not awkwardly determined by a game mechanism. It's just the person who would have had the next turn if the stock round continued

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Panzeh posted:

While I think COIN is trash compared to the standard CDG mechanism from HIS, i definitely agree with you on that WRT the priority deal marker.

I went through a brief love affair with the COIN games and came to the same conclusion. Also not crazy about the Volko Ruhnke connection to the CIA.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When it comes to negotiations COIN games allow far more interplay for discussing turn order and blocking players from taking events/activities. CDGs work in 2-player but so many of them (HIS included) railroad they players through chrome-y mandatory events and boring decisions based on card draw. The problems with Twilight Struggle are amplified as a result, in a multiplayer setting, at longer play times.

It comes down to the turn order thing: a good political game needs to turn every mechanism into a commodity and taking turns playing one card from hand is decidedly not that.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
COIN still does the most interesting assymetric doam with 4 players. Dune beats it at 6

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
1822 is my favorite 18xx, noting I'm not crazy about '17, mostly because '17 really punishes new players playing with experienced players. Also I like operations focused 18xx's anyway more than the high powered math based ones :).

I need to get 18xx CA to the table, it's supposed to be shorter. Perhaps when I start my LA based 18xx group next year that'll happen.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Mayveena posted:

Perhaps when I start my LA based 18xx group next year that'll happen.

I'm down to join since I want to learn how to play 18xx.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Have a friend and his fiancé coming in this weekend so we’re running 7 players. We’re going to split after a while so don’t worry about that, but are there any games that are pretty good at 7?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Masters of commerce / panic on Wall Street
Sidereal confluence
Lifeboat with expansions (not lifeboats)

All great with 7

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SettingSun posted:

Have a friend and his fiancé coming in this weekend so we’re running 7 players. We’re going to split after a while so don’t worry about that, but are there any games that are pretty good at 7?

Mysterium I think works. Had a decent round of flash point at 7 (as in its about the same with 7 as with 4).

Could put 2 spirit island games together...

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Panzeh posted:

Your abbreviation privileges are hereby revoked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SettingSun posted:

I suggest splitting after a warmup game when it's 7 rather than hunt for the handful of full length games that even support that count. So Mysterium, Camel Up, Love Letter Premium or a couple of rounds of One Night Werewolf should do the trick.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Diplomacy :twisted:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

al-azad posted:

After one play I can say it’s the most “euro” of 18xx games with the auction feeling straight out of Keyflower. Play time is better than 1817 and it strikes a nice balance of playing with companies and track duckers, but 1880 is still my overall complete package game that’s playable in a weekday after work.

I have nothing bad to say about it. It sits somewhere between 1817 and the terrible Russian game for me.

I've played regular 22 twice and 22MRS several times and basically won't go back :shrug: It's all the good parts of 22 but without a lot of the bad parts. I'm quite curious about 22MX and 22CA (although I'm quite wary of how LARGE CA's map is).

1880 is too long for what it is in my opinion. If it was a 4 hour game I wouldn't hate it as much but it's always 6+ hours even in my experienced group. I will say that my game of 1880 online was much more tolerable.

Also here's a couple of my friends playing 1862 the other day, another friend's GMT copy got here yesterday :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qo64KEi-2c

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 1, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Western empires or thunder alley for 7

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SettingSun posted:

Telestrations is our group’s go to opener, or we’ll do 7 Wonders if we want a little more crunch.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Sushi Go Party is a simpler 7 wonders and plays 8.

Splitting large groups into separate games is my dream that never actually happens at my friends “game” nights. It always goes the same, friend sends out the call “anyone want to do games at my house tomorrow?” 8 people say they are in. 3 of them bring someone else. Arrive, spend quite a while just catching up, drinking and eating. Someone finally suggests games. People always want to play something that literally plays everyone at once, so like Mafia or similar entire group game. After that, someone goes “ooh! Let’s play (game that plays 6 or 7), i love that game!” and then upon being told it plays 6 and we have 11 goes “we can totally modify it to play 11 or we’ll do teams!” And there the dream of actually playing a game for real dies.

I have fun at these events, I just wish they would stop calling them game nights.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I'm trying something new this month. I sent out an email a month ago to all my friends who are into games, along with what game I want to play. The email had links to BGG and YouTube about the games so they can decide if they are interested. I set up a time and place, and the first to RSVP up to the player count get a spot at the table. Otherwise, there is always next month. I got a full player count of The Estates and Container for this Saturday that I'm looking forward to.

Should I play Container with or without the Investment Bank?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

SettingSun posted:

7 Wonders
Between two cities
Colt Express with expansion

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rusty Kettle posted:

I'm trying something new this month. I sent out an email a month ago to all my friends who are into games, along with what game I want to play. The email had links to BGG and YouTube about the games so they can decide if they are interested. I set up a time and place, and the first to RSVP up to the player count get a spot at the table. Otherwise, there is always next month. I got a full player count of The Estates and Container for this Saturday that I'm looking forward to.

I'm going to say without but I also haven't played with the investment bank and probably won't ever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don't play with the investment bank. At best, it's a crutch. At worst, it will make the game feel boring and/or won't actually showcase the game. However, you could consider adding player loans. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97430/loan-tiles-customprint-n-play . Rules are in the expansion set: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147665/container-second-shipment-player-aid

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Chill la Chill posted:

Don't play with the investment bank. At best, it's a crutch. At worst, it will make the game feel boring and/or won't actually showcase the game. However, you could consider adding player loans. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97430/loan-tiles-customprint-n-play . Rules are in the expansion set: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147665/container-second-shipment-player-aid

I like the sound of player loans. I'm going to print the components. Hopefully someday Mercury Games prints the expansions to be Jumbo compatible, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rusty Kettle posted:

I like the sound of player loans. I'm going to print the components. Hopefully someday Mercury Games prints the expansions to be Jumbo compatible, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I do find it odd they went ham with all the expansions for Big City but haven't considered the container expansions. I just want big chunky player loan bank pieces or a nice resin building for the investment bank that will never be used but would look nice next to the loan cards.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

YAPAHR :yarr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rusty Kettle posted:

I played in our group which is mixed but experienced board gamers all. We didn't use the investment bank and I think it was a cleaner game for it.

Then again, like al-azad I haven't played with it and probably won't either.

Just let players know where money comes from and that everything costs money, so don't run out. It's very easy to spend money, but getting money comes from having things other people actually want and buy.

Don't get in a situation where you have spent all your money on stuff (or have paid for upgrades you're not using) and are waiting for people to buy your poo poo to get money again, that's poison.