Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, good eye -- Curve for $50 is infinitely better than Lotus for $30.

Still, I'd have a hard time not pushing someone to spend the extra bit of cash for a Pre in either of those scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

I don't like the Pre because I don't like Palm, and because I don't like the form factor. The OS is actually pretty cool, but seeing Palm in the driver's seat makes me uncomfortable since they pulled a pretty big hit and run with the last phone of theirs I owned (Treo 800w, released Sept '08 and end of lifed just a few months later with no software updates to fix critically broken issues). The Pre probably won't fall victim to the same trouble since it's such a high-profile device. And in spite of webOS being pretty slick, I find its existence irritating in general -- I would have much rather seen them license it for use on any device from any manufacturer, like Android has been. In its current form, it comes off as "poor man's iPhone OS" to me. If a customer wants a bunch of manufacturer-specific lock-in, they'll go with Apple who has at least done a phenomenal job with it.

I wasn't a fan of the device's build quality and I hate the new gel-capped "Centro-style" keyboard they're using these days -- it's much worse than the old clicky keyboards they used on the Treos, and it seems to only exist because some designer told them to use it. I'd rather just smack a screen with my thumbs (iPhone, Hero, Magic) than put up with that type of keyboard. Also, I'm tired of phones that have slider mechanisms.

Again, this is all really subjective stuff, and I'm completely in the minority on this. Compared to a lot of the poo poo you can buy today, the Pre is head and shoulders a better product. It's just not one I'd pick for myself.

The keyboard, oh god. It is the thing I hate the most about the Pre. The keyboard is the part that a user interacts with the most along with the screen or navigation implement if there's no touchscreen. That keyboard is a miserable little thing. My thumb is the width of 4 keys on that thing. The iPhone is a lot better phone to type on. Capacitive touchscreen phones are a lot better to type on than that miserable excuse on the Pre. But I come from the land of BlackBerry where excellent keyboards are standard.

The 8330 is a good "cheap phone now" phone. It's outdated but it won't be bad unless you load the thing up with 25 applications. The 83xx models and any 4.5 BlackBerry are notorious for having pitiful amounts of RAM. I got the Curve 8900 because I was doing battery pulls every 8 hours and that is not a joke. The 8330 has 96 MB of RAM which is livable. Too bad Sprint doesn't have the 8530 because that's the 83xx but with a faster processor and a lot more RAM.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

The 8330 is a good "cheap phone now" phone. It's outdated but it won't be bad unless you load the thing up with 25 applications. The 83xx models and any 4.5 BlackBerry are notorious for having pitiful amounts of RAM. I got the Curve 8900 because I was doing battery pulls every 8 hours and that is not a joke. The 8330 has 96 MB of RAM which is livable. Too bad Sprint doesn't have the 8530 because that's the 83xx but with a faster processor and a lot more RAM.

Well yes, but if you've ever looked through this thread, there are tons of people paying for EPRP and getting a Rant for QWERTY and won't be convinced that they should spend more on something that isn't complete poo poo. This is a no brainer recommendation in those cases.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

Well yes, but if you've ever looked through this thread, there are tons of people paying for EPRP and getting a Rant for QWERTY and won't be convinced that they should spend more on something that isn't complete poo poo. This is a no brainer recommendation in those cases.

Yeah, that's true. Those people won't ever have trouble with memory.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Ugh. I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place for my phone choices then unless I want to sign up for a prepaid TracFone from Wal-Mart or something. I do really like the Hero, but the decision about the phone(s) need to be made within the next few days.

Can you tell me what specifically you don't like the Pre? I keep getting this vibe that the Pre and webOS in particular are going to be dead platforms in 1-2 years time, which is making me really hesitant.

Kalibar (or 900ftjesus) -

Couldn't he just get a Pre now and return it within 30 days and replace it with a HTC Hero?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Corbet posted:

Kalibar (or 900ftjesus) -

Couldn't he just get a Pre now and return it within 30 days and replace it with a HTC Hero?
Not yet, since the Hero's slated for October 11. If he waits till September 12 to sign up he could, but it would be entirely contingent on the Hero being in stock on launch day and on launch day not slipping (as launch days are known to do).

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

kalibar posted:

Not yet, since the Hero's slated for October 11. If he waits till September 12 to sign up he could, but it would be entirely contingent on the Hero being in stock on launch day and on launch day not slipping (as launch days are known to do).

So there's a 30 day satisfaction guarantee with the Pre?

I'm going to call Sprint today and wrangle with their customer service to see if I could potentially just sign up with an EPRP with one new phone (for the girlfriend), keep my current phone, and then just wait a month for the Hero. Wish me luck.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm in the US on Sprint with a SERO plan, I currently have a HTC Touch Pro, which I love, but this is the third replacement I've gotten and the keyboard is dying again. I like it, but I'm thinking I'm going to go with a different phone. I'm not sure. Looking at Craigslist I'm pretty sure I can get back what I paid for this touch by selling it, so my price range is around 200-250. I also might be able to get a replacement that isn't a Touch Pro straight through Sprint for a comparable phone, a supervisor is going to call me back in like two hours about that.

I really like the threaded layout for text messages, and I really like that I can use activesync to sync my google contacts to the phone. And I like using google maps. What other phones have some/all of these features I could be looking at?

Or should I just send this one in again and hope for a better replacement? Maybe push the guy I'm gonna talk to to try to just get a new replacement instead of a refurb?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 10, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Gazaville Slugger posted:

So there's a 30 day satisfaction guarantee with the Pre?

I'm going to call Sprint today and wrangle with their customer service to see if I could potentially just sign up with an EPRP with one new phone (for the girlfriend), keep my current phone, and then just wait a month for the Hero. Wish me luck.

30 days to cancel your contract for free or trade phones once.

EDIT: Any phone, not just the Pre.

Cornflake
Jun 22, 2005
Psycho Alpha Disco Beta Bio Aqua Do Loop

kalibar posted:

If your line is out of contract and you want to renew, you could get an iPhone 3GS and sell it on eBay or SA-Mart for $600-700. That would give you plenty of money to buy a cool phone.

Could you elaborate on this process? Is it as simple as paying 200 bucks for the 3GS, selling it (unactivated I'm assuming), then being under contract for 2 more years?

hamiltonrmcato
Oct 4, 2005
Sorry if there haven't been any requests in awhile. I haven't been to this corner of the forums before. But anyway, I'm living in Egypt these days and will be going back to the US around Xmas time for a month. During that time I was thinking about picking up a cell phone, maybe from the internet. It's expensive as hell to have anything shipped here if you were wondering why I was waiting to go home to do. Anyways I need:

# Country/Provider: Egypt/Vodaphone

# Current contract status: Prepaid

# Budget (phone/plan): Cheapest possible that can do the features below.

# Features I know I want: Data (I want to be able to use skype, gmail, and gtalk...maps would be good too), Nokia or something with famously good reception, candy bar style, unlocked or easily unlockable.

I write mostly because I'm totally out of the loop for the best websites to find phones. My default would be newegg but I doubt they have the best values. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: Wifi would be good too.
2nd edit: I really like the G1 for its hardware keyboard and the Android OS. However, it seems like the next versions of Android won't fit easily on the phone, so what do you recommend in terms of getting a G1 vs. waiting on Hero or some non-HTC Android phone that will have the memory for the next few iterations of Android.

hamiltonrmcato fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 12, 2009

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

30 days to cancel your contract for free or trade phones once.

EDIT: Any phone, not just the Pre.

900ftjesus, kalibar, thanks again for all your advice.

I've gone ahead and made the switch to the EPRP Anymobile/ED plan. $109.99/mo for 2 lines. Purchased the girlfriend an LG Lotus (it's what she wanted, something simple and easy to use) on the new line, got a $50 loyalty credit towards the prorated fee of my last bill on my former Fair and Flexible plan, and I still have my $150 upgrade credit to use for a new phone. I was even able to keep my current number when I switched to the new plan.

I'm going to wait a month and continue to use my broke-rear end Muziq for now, because I really think I'm going to love the Hero even more than the Pre.

I want to emphasize though how pain-free this whole process was. It took me about 45 minutes in total on the phone with Sprint, but they got it done and I'm all set for a while now. No hassle, no fuss. I can't even imagine the headache that it would have been in the past.

Anyway, paying $109.99 for:

- 2 phones
- Unlimited mobile minutes
- Unlimited data
- Unlimited SMS/PMail
- 1600 landline minutes (because that's all you'll be racking minutes up for)

Is a loving awesome deal. Comparatively, for two iPhones on a plan through AT&T with unlimited data and unlimited text with similar minutes would cost me somewhere around $150-160 a month.

Edit: Just checked - On AT&T, a two-iPhone 3GS plan with unlimited text + data with 1400 rollover anytime minutes would cost $180/month, plus the $398 purchase fee PLUS activation fees. 'esus christ. :psyduck:

Sweet. I'm happy as hell. Thanks again, all.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 11, 2009

FidgetWidget
Aug 13, 2005
A Storm's a Brewin'!
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: Basic 700 min. Family Plan

Budget: $100/mo

Features I want:
Two dumb phones, one smartphone ( G1/myTouch ) w. data plan/unlimited texting for at least one of the above. Minutes can be minimal ( 450/mo ) if need be.

We are fully prepared to bail on Verizon early if we can score something fantastic with T-Mobile. My college has a deal with T-Mobile that can snip 15% off our contract, including family plans, so the idea is not entirely absurd.

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan
Vodafone have kindly offered to give me any phone they have for free (mid-contract too, so I guess shouting does work). I can't decide whether to pick up the Sony Satio, the HTC Tattoo, or the Xperia X2. I understand that it is possible to easily install the HTC TouchFlo UI onto the Xperia - would the same be possible for the Satio? Help me pick, please. Last time I got an Omnia, and I don't want to make a similar mistake this time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Teenagers posted:

Vodafone have kindly offered to give me any phone they have for free (mid-contract too, so I guess shouting does work). I can't decide whether to pick up the Sony Satio, the HTC Tattoo, or the Xperia X2. I understand that it is possible to easily install the HTC TouchFlo UI onto the Xperia - would the same be possible for the Satio? Help me pick, please. Last time I got an Omnia, and I don't want to make a similar mistake this time.

The X2 runs Windows Mobile which is the OS that your Omnia ran. Do not get that phone because Windows Mobile is a terrible, terrible OS. I wouldn't recommend the Tattoo because it's a touchscreen-only phone with a resistive screen running Android. You will curse the resistive screen when it comes to Android. The Satio, not sure about. I'd rather get the HTC Magic if it's an option. It's a great phone with the major drawback being that it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

The X2 runs Windows Mobile which is the OS that your Omnia ran. Do not get that phone because Windows Mobile is a terrible, terrible OS. I wouldn't recommend the Tattoo because it's a touchscreen-only phone with a resistive screen running Android. You will curse the resistive screen when it comes to Android. The Satio, not sure about. I'd rather get the HTC Magic if it's an option. It's a great phone with the major drawback being that it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack.
Does Voda sell the Hero yet?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Does Voda sell the Hero yet?

I was going to recommend the Hero but it's a T-Mobile UK exclusive over there.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Sounds like he should cash out the free X2 from Voda while they're offering it and buy up someone's Hero and unlock it.

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan

kalibar posted:

Sounds like he should cash out the free X2 from Voda while they're offering it and buy up someone's Hero and unlock it.

That's something that tempts me - even if I can't sell it right away, I could live with the WinMo interface for a while if I can install TouchFlo or SPB + s2u2.

I was going to leave Voda because my Omnia broke and they refused to help (I sent them an angry email essentially telling them to gently caress off, and after my contract is finished I'm going to o2).

Then I got a call offering me any free phone, and the next 6 months of my contract for £10 a month (instead of £35). He also told me that if I signed for another 18 months in April, I could get the £35 package for £15 a month. If they're going to such lengths to keep my custom, I'll see if can convince the salesman that he should let me have a HTC Touch Pro 2 (which is only available to their business customers).

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

WM phones' problems are more deeply-rooted than "the WinMo interface." The phones are notoriously unstable, they use "cheap" (old) resistive touchscreen technology (vs. the capacitive touchscreens you find on Pre/iPhone/Hero), there's still no legitimately good web browser available, a large percentage of the third-party software available is higher-priced and lower quality than offerings found on the iPhone (and Android, to a point), and that's really not even the half of it. The SE X2 and the HTC TP2 command decent resale prices right now because of the sheer newness of the hardware, but make no mistake -- those phones are sinking ships that you don't want to be on. Cash out and get a Hero, or get a Magic if you'd rather save some moneyand don't care about having a headphone jack.

Either way you should come out of this with a net win -- the GSM version of the Touch Pro2 is listed at $800 USD on MobileCityOnline, and the Xperia X2 is pushing a ridiculous $900 USD. If you can get Voda to pony one of those up and sell it for even two-thirds of that, you'll really be rocking and rolling.

Teenagers
Sep 5, 2007

hail satan

kalibar posted:

Either way you should come out of this with a net win -- the GSM version of the Touch Pro2 is listed at $800 USD on MobileCityOnline, and the Xperia X2 is pushing a ridiculous $900 USD. If you can get Voda to pony one of those up and sell it for even two-thirds of that, you'll really be rocking and rolling.

Great advice, thanks - the Xperia X2 isn't released until November in the UK, so it will probably be a better choice for resale.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I've decided that I'm dumping my smart phone for a simpler flip phone, I need the money I'll get from selling my Touch Pro.

I want something relatively new and not a pain in the rear end to put my own ringtones on. And if it available on ebay that is a major plus.

# Country/Provider: Unites States / Sprint

# Current contract status: SERO contract, contract ends in February (Unlimited data, unlimited text)

# Budget (phone/plan): ~$100 for phone.

# Features I know I want: Decent texting (T9, not full keyboard), decent web browser (doesn't have to be amazing, what my old Katana DLX had was pretty good), clamshell form-factor, ease of putting on custom ringtones.

Some way to sync my contacts with my gmail account would be amazing, but I don't know if anything that isn't windows mobile can do that.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

eBay up a Samsung M610, it's the best flip phone Sprint ever sold. You can even get away with tethering it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

eBay up a Samsung M610, it's the best flip phone Sprint ever sold. You can even get away with tethering it.
Does 45 bucks sound fair for this phone? I'm looking at a buy it now auction with one listed at that price.

Edit: Pulled the trigger on the M610. Thanks for the suggestion.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 14, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Hypnolobster posted:

Provider:AT&T, not the primary account holder
Budget: $200

I just need a replacement for my rapidly dying Motorola Razer. My whole family got them a good number of years ago, and mine is the only one that's surviving, though I've cannibalized one of the broken phones for the screen I currently have on my phone.

From what I understand, I can take out my sim card and put it in an unlocked GSM phone and have no problems.

I don't really need much in the way of features.
Needs to be:
Relatively slim
Somewhat durable

I don't care about a full keyboard, or any keyboard at all for that matter. I'm careful enough that a touchscreen wouldn't get destroyed, but something defined as "flimsy" probably wouldn't last the 3-4 years that my old phone has.
The Razer was nice because it's relatively thin and didn't get in the way. It survived 2 transmissions sitting on my leg, being dropped hundreds of times and I've used it as a hammer at least twice.

e: I'm a huge nerd and really just need something that'll tide me over until I get something that will run Android. I can't imagine there's anything sub $200 that will.

I kept looking around after posting this, and completely on accident I ran into the Nokia 3720 classic, which looks completely perfect for a dumbphone, and my likely abuse of it.
Is there any particularly good place to buy phones? It seems like every website is highly sketchy, and the prices always vary widely.
e: wait, does the US even get this phone? :(

ian
Aug 12, 2003
My uncle travels all over the U.S. for work (independent contractor) and needs coverage wherever he goes.

He's paying about $450/month to Verizon for a 4-phone family plan, which sounds really high to me, but he's scared to switch to another provider that may not have Verizon's coverage in Montana or Idaho or what not. He has basically a 2 year plan with Verizon but doesn't mind paying the termination fee if it'll save him money in the long run. All he really needs on the plan besides coverage is a lot of minutes/unlimited minutes and maybe unlimited texts for a 4-phone family plan.

I'm just looking to give him a family plan recommendation with exceptional coverage that is cheaper than Verizon if at all possible. I've looked at coverage maps both in the cellphone shack FAQ and on other sites but the reliability of those coverage maps doesn't seem very high. Thanks for any help.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I just wanted to thank you guys for educating me on the current options between US carriers. I was on a monthly bill with at&t and a 3-4 year old dumbphone slider and paying around 90 a month. With a little research thanks to this thread I was able to sign up with sprint, get a pre, and drop my monthly to 60, while gaining more plan benefits at a much cheaper rate. As much as a love the iphone I was hesitant to sign back up to a 2 year contract with at&t at 107/month plan to get it. The fact that I'm paying 47 dollars a month less then an iphone for a smartphone with the same feature set makes me really happy (with more minutes then the comparable att plan), considering that's a $1,128 savings over the life of the contract. Kinda crazy when you do the math.

Thanks everybody!

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I am going to be spending a lot of time on the phone for work and I'm looking to replace my crappy bluetooth headset. Any recommendations?

I am thinking about the Aliph Jawbone II currently, but any advice would be appreciated.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

slothzilla posted:

I am going to be spending a lot of time on the phone for work and I'm looking to replace my crappy bluetooth headset. Any recommendations?

I am thinking about the Aliph Jawbone II currently, but any advice would be appreciated.

Its not the smallest or prettiest around, but I had a really good experience with a Cardo scala 500 before it was stolen with my car a while back. Solid audio quality, adjustable clip to keep it in place, and pretty good voice isolation. I didn't use it often, but I only charged the battery probably 3 or 4 times over the course of a year and a half.

Flaming Monkey
Apr 20, 2006

Current Situation:
Family plan (2 lines) for $70/mo. thru AllTel expiring 24th of this month. I believe it's 900 anytime minutes and 10 favorites anytime for free. Both phones are super thin call/text only.

Desired Situation:
Looking at Sprint mainly. Want at least similar minutes and unlimited data, and no extra charges for navigation and other phone-specific shortcomings. Want to spend under $100/mo. if possible. I hear from co-workers that there is a 20% chevrolet dealership discount I qualify for. I love the Pre (hoping for $99 or less) for myself, and my wife likes the Curve (free). I wouldn't mind getting her the tour if it were cheap enough. I want my current numbers ported over.

Questions:
1.)What is the best way to get what I want?
2.)Should I wait for the HTC hero to come out? My motivation would be to either get it instead of the Pre, or let it drive down the price of the phones I would otherwise want.
3.)Did I miss out on the $1 Pre and Tour deal I see mentioned?

Right now Wirefly has the Pre for $99 and Curve for Free, but it's a big deal that I don't get screwed on the monthly plan. I can't act on it now anyway, because wirefly won't have my current numbers ported when my Alltel contract expires without charging me a $200/line fee. Sprint/Best Buy/Sam's Club seems to be willing to post-port, but don't have the deal I want on the phones.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Carrier: ATT
Contract status: Due for upgrade 11/06/09

Want:
- Full keyboard for texting. This is my biggest concern, haha.
- Inexpensive-ish. I don't want to spend $250 for an upgrade phone. $150 and under is more like it.
- Good battery life.
- Decent camera
- Not huge/bulky

Would be nice:
- Outlook syncing (through cable, not push/data plan).
- Quick and easy interface.
- Cheap enough that I can buy without upgrade to get out of contract. But not necessary, I don't mind ATT. Would pay up to $250 maybe for an unlocked phone.

I'm concerned about going with a winmo phone, just because I'm afraid that the OS will be too "bulky" for me. Otherwise I do love the HTC phones (like the fuze - my friend has one and I really like the form factor, the slide-out keyboard is great). My wife has a blackberry curve, I like the form factor, but even that OS seems a bit bulky (though I haven't used it much). I don't want to have to take 15 seconds and 5 clicks to get to a point where I'm typing a text message, that's annoying.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Flaming Monkey posted:

Current Situation:
Family plan (2 lines) for $70/mo. thru AllTel expiring 24th of this month. I believe it's 900 anytime minutes and 10 favorites anytime for free. Both phones are super thin call/text only.

Desired Situation:
Looking at Sprint mainly. Want at least similar minutes and unlimited data, and no extra charges for navigation and other phone-specific shortcomings. Want to spend under $100/mo. if possible. I hear from co-workers that there is a 20% chevrolet dealership discount I qualify for. I love the Pre (hoping for $99 or less) for myself, and my wife likes the Curve (free). I wouldn't mind getting her the tour if it were cheap enough. I want my current numbers ported over.

Questions:
1.)What is the best way to get what I want?
2.)Should I wait for the HTC hero to come out? My motivation would be to either get it instead of the Pre, or let it drive down the price of the phones I would otherwise want.
3.)Did I miss out on the $1 Pre and Tour deal I see mentioned?

Right now Wirefly has the Pre for $99 and Curve for Free, but it's a big deal that I don't get screwed on the monthly plan. I can't act on it now anyway, because wirefly won't have my current numbers ported when my Alltel contract expires without charging me a $200/line fee. Sprint/Best Buy/Sam's Club seems to be willing to post-port, but don't have the deal I want on the phones.

1) EPRP Family Plan (check Sprint thread), $55/month each and you can add corporate discounts to that. EPRP Family + your 20% is a killer deal.
2) Depends on if you want a hardware keyboard or not and if you want Android or WebOS. You should get your wife the Tour since she'll have it for 2 years or so.
3) Not really sure.

DeadFalling
Nov 11, 2007
Bringer of Woe
Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: I only buy phones out of contract, so this doesn't matter

Budget (phone/plan): under $400

Features I know I want: Smartphone with good audio quality... I'm wanting to ditch my iPod Nano and just have all my music on a microSD card or something and play them through my phone. I have the Fuze/Touch Pro right now and it has lovely audio quality. I'm not going to be buying this phone on contract, most likely through eBay, but iPhones and Blackberries are out of the question since they raise my monthly bill up.

Help?

Flaming Monkey
Apr 20, 2006

900ftjesus posted:

1) EPRP Family Plan (check Sprint thread), $55/month each and you can add corporate discounts to that. EPRP Family + your 20% is a killer deal.
2) Depends on if you want a hardware keyboard or not and if you want Android or WebOS. You should get your wife the Tour since she'll have it for 2 years or so.
3) Not really sure.

Thanks! That plan would kick rear end. However, when I go to the referal discount list of phones that goes with that plan, the list is very limited. No Pre, no Tour, or anything close. Am I doing something wrong?

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005
Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: N/A

Budget (phone/plan): $100-$200 / whatevskis

Features I know I want: iPhone?

Is the 3GS worth it for a first-time smartphone user? Is a refurb a good bet? I'm pretty sold on an iPhone, I just don't know whether the refurb or 3G or 3GS are good plays, or whether maybe an Android phone is a better option...

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Flaming Monkey posted:

Thanks! That plan would kick rear end. However, when I go to the referal discount list of phones that goes with that plan, the list is very limited. No Pre, no Tour, or anything close. Am I doing something wrong?

Once you log in with the employee ID/email, click the Phones tab, then either All Phones or PDA/Smartphones. The Pre is first on the list.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Country/Provider: USA AT&T

Current contract status: Currently on a plan with my ex-girlfriend. The contract is in her name, but I am on it. There is probably a year left on the contract. I just moved to Colorado from Georgia, and my ex hasn't paid her part of the bill in months, and they finally suspended our service, so I have stuck in Colorado without a phone for a week, not sure what to do.

Budget (phone/plan): AT&T was too expensive for how little I used the. I think my half was around $60/month for 250 minutes(my half) and like 200 text messages. I could justify closer to $50 a month.

Features I know I want: So, I don't talk on the phone that much, but usually once or twice a week I might drunkenly spend an hour on the phone catching up with somebody. Also, I have some friends that solely communicate via text message, so I would always cut it close with the 200 limit. That's about it. MMS would be cool too.

Question: So what do I do about my current situation? Right now I just feel like saying gently caress it, and not waiting another week to see if she pays the phone bill, and just getting something else. I am not paying any money aside from what I owe monthly to fix this.

I had Metro PCS before at&t, and it was pretty ghetto, but it always worked, and my bill was never hosed up, unlike at&t who would constantly add hundreds of dollars in fees for no reason and that poo poo would have to be fixed.

Boost Mobile doesn't look so bad, and there map says they have coverage in Colorado(I'm in Vail), but I don't know if they suck or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I do believe I'm going with the Palm Centro with Sprint.

The centro is slim and pretty compact compared to the other smartphones, and I can manage the keyboard since I don't have sausage hands. It also doesn't seem to be laden with droves of apps that would make navigating the phone cumbersome as it's only semi-touch screen.

I'll be using a Share plan with 1500 minutes and unlimited data (web, email, SMS) for $129.00 a month with a military discount which will probably total out to be around $110. This beats the pants off Verizon and AT&T for what I'm looking for.

Simply put, the Centro feels like a nice and strudily built phone with the kind of functionality I'm looking for. I'm not a super important business exec that needs a slew of Office applications, so I can skip on the most up to date Blackberry or iPhone. That doesn't mean I'll be upset with the Centro though, since it packs a nice suite of stuff I'll actually use.

Would anyone be willing to chime in on the overall quality of the Centro so I can help justify my decision based on what people on the internet tell me?

EDIT: Another reason I've decided with the Centro is that as my first smartphone, I don't feel overwhelmed. Again, there are enough productivity apps to satisfy my needs (calculator, to do list, calendar). The price is also incredible, at 100-150 bucks it's not something I'm going to need to drop half my paycheck on. It's also not a draconian and outdated smart phone, being only one series removed from the latest and greatest Pre (and the Treo was supposed to be great).

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 20, 2009

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Double Tap posted:

Would anyone be willing to chime in on the overall quality of the Centro so I can help justify my decision based on what people on the internet tell me?

EDIT: Another reason I've decided with the Centro is that as my first smartphone, I don't feel overwhelmed. Again, there are enough productivity apps to satisfy my needs (calculator, to do list, calendar). The price is also incredible, at 100-150 bucks it's not something I'm going to need to drop half my paycheck on. It's also not a draconian and outdated smart phone, being only one series removed from the latest and greatest Pre (and the Treo was supposed to be great).

Please don't. I had the 700p (the bigger version of a Centro) and it really is an outdated smartphone. The Palm OS was built in the 90s and was slapped into a phone and compared to iPhone, Pre, and Android it shows. The browser is horrible, there is no GPS, the camera sucks, the screen is low resolution, software is hard to find, limited, and expensive. The phone was great when it first came out about 3 years ago, it was one of the first $100 smartphones with a keyboard. However, compared to a modern phone I wouldn't do it.

If you are dropping $150 with a contract on a phone get a Pre or a Hero. If you are digging yourself into a two year contract get a really nice phone. If you aren't getting a contract maybe the Centro is an Ok phone but not at $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

gariig posted:

Please don't. I had the 700p (the bigger version of a Centro) and it really is an outdated smartphone. The Palm OS was built in the 90s and was slapped into a phone and compared to iPhone, Pre, and Android it shows. The browser is horrible, there is no GPS, the camera sucks, the screen is low resolution, software is hard to find, limited, and expensive. The phone was great when it first came out about 3 years ago, it was one of the first $100 smartphones with a keyboard. However, compared to a modern phone I wouldn't do it.

If you are dropping $150 with a contract on a phone get a Pre or a Hero. If you are digging yourself into a two year contract get a really nice phone. If you aren't getting a contract maybe the Centro is an Ok phone but not at $150.

Why is it that every phone I want to get someone has something horrible to say about it? Your gripes seem superficial to be honest. The screen resolution was fine for my needs because I won't be watching streaming video. I can't understand morons who pay extra for VCAST or any other carrier equivilent for 8 second video clips. We own a TomTom for GPS, so who cares if the phone doesn't have it? The camera takes decent enough photos for a drat phone, it's not like I'm a professional photographer.

The OS seemed to work just fine in the store. It was responsive, no lag, and stuff was easy to find. The modern smartphones like the Pre and Tour and Storm I handled had considerable application lag (storm is notorious for this), especially the Pre. Sure it can multitask, but when the phone stutters upon executing one of the multitasked screens, I'm a bit iffy.

Yea, compared to a modern smartphone I probably wouldn't do it either, but I'm not trying to compare a 3 year old smartphone to a modern one, because if I was doing that I'd get the new iPhone or whatever. I just want a nifty smartphone with full web browsing ability, SMS/IM, email (POP/IMAP) and maybe a few other features. I certainly don't want to end up paying thousands of dollars for total ownership.

Failing this, what about the Samsung Instinct?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 21, 2009