Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I think generally you should avoid cold-smoking chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

For what it's worth, if you haven't tried it before I highly recommend buffalo wings in a rotisserie basket over a regular grill.

After a good overnight brine in salt and brown sugar they are fan-loving-tastic.

Actually (and I know this isn't the grilling thread but I'm going for it anyway) rotisserie anything with a tray of potatoes and other assorted veggies beneath it is amazing!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
take it from me, smoking chicken 180-200 isn't the best idea. I've had much better results either smoking at a very high temperature (260-300) with indirect heat, or just plain grilling. I think it's just one of those things that benefits from higher heat. your skin concerns are correct. brining and air drying overnight uncovered in the fridge is also essential.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TouchyMcFeely posted:

For what it's worth, if you haven't tried it before I highly recommend buffalo wings in a rotisserie basket over a regular grill.

After a good overnight brine in salt and brown sugar they are fan-loving-tastic.

Actually (and I know this isn't the grilling thread but I'm going for it anyway) rotisserie anything with a tray of potatoes and other assorted veggies beneath it is amazing!

I would really like such an attachment for my 18.5 WSM (I also use it as a grill) but I haven't found one.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Thanks all. I haven't played with my little Brinkmann enough to know how to regulate the temps better so instead of chancing ruining 60 or so wings, I think I'll just toss them in the oven and concentrate on drinking delicious root beer.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I always smoke my chicken's at 225, but I never eat the skins so I don't care how rubbery the skin is. 225 till the chicken hits like 180-185 on my Egg and the pieces are literally hard to take off the grates without them pulling apart.

If I do chicken wings I will bump up the temps to 350-400 so I get crispy skin for my guests.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I would really like such an attachment for my 18.5 WSM (I also use it as a grill) but I haven't found one.

I ran into the same problem with the same grill. Ended up buying a rotisserie kit off Amazon and building my own ring from stainless steel picked up at Lowes.

It's not as good as one of the thick rings you find for the larger Webers but it does the job and the results can be amazing.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I highly recommend the weber rotisserie attachment if you have the larger weber. Food comes out amazing with it. Only not is that it doesn't seal as well as I would like between the top and bottom. I got a gasket kit for a XL Big Green Egg which I am going to place around the top and bottom of the ring insert to get a more air tight seal, planning on installing that this weekend.

JeansW
Aug 4, 2004
Yes. Like the jeans...
I finally moved into a house after living in apartments all my life, and now I have a place where I can actually smoke and grill. So after a bit of research online I decided I was going to buy the Akorn Kamado at Lowe's. Mostly because it seemed good for a newbie and I had a 10% off Lowe's coupon.

I've never slow smoked anything in my life, but I watched a video about the 3-2-1 method for ribs (3 hours on the rack, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour after basting) so I decided to give it a try.

St Louis Cut pork spare ribs

This is the Akorn

I had heard reports of people with Akorns that couldn't keep the temperature low enough but I didn't have any problems at all. It never got over 230 the entire 6 hours.

Wrapped them in foil halfway through

After 2 hours in the foil I took them out and basted them in sauce and stuck them on for another hour. This is about 30 minutes before they're finished.

They turned out amazing.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't be afraid to experiment with how you cook ribs. They are fairly forgiving, and 3-2-1 can result in overcooking them if you aren't careful.

I've had the best results with no foil, leaving them on between 225-250 grate temp for around four hours until they start to probe fairly tender, and then saucing them and opening up the vents for another 15 minutes or so.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If I smoke beef before I use it for chili what temperature should I be aiming for and what wood is best? What wood should I use? It would likely be inch thick cuts of meat

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Would people in this thread say that the Acorn is approximate to the BGE in terms of functionality and usability?

patb01
Jul 4, 2008
Been looking to start smoking some meat at home. But living in an apartment with no balcony, I need to look for an indoor smoker option.

Browsing Amazon.com I found this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Would this be a good starter kit until we can get a place with room for a good grill/smoker?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cornface posted:

Don't be afraid to experiment with how you cook ribs. They are fairly forgiving, and 3-2-1 can result in overcooking them if you aren't careful.

I've had the best results with no foil, leaving them on between 225-250 grate temp for around four hours until they start to probe fairly tender, and then saucing them and opening up the vents for another 15 minutes or so.

I've had similar experiences. 3-2-1 definitely resulted in overcooked ribs for me more often than not, but when ribs are overcooked they fall off the bone which most people like so it's not like it's ruined.

EDIT: I've never seen an imitation BGE do everything the BGE does well, but I haven't exactly messed with a ton of them.

What is everyone's favorite recipe for North Carolina vinegar based sauce?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

sellouts posted:

I just use a couple of cups of apple cider vinegar, a half cup of light brown sugar, and chili pepper flakes to taste.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Scott Bakula posted:

If I smoke beef before I use it for chili what temperature should I be aiming for and what wood is best? What wood should I use? It would likely be inch thick cuts of meat

cold smoke chuck rolls at 110F or less for 2-3 hours, small dice, and roast. add to chili.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

cold smoke chuck rolls at 110F or less for 2-3 hours, small dice, and roast. add to chili.

I've had good luck just using normal leftover brisket and pulled pork in a 3 to 1 ratio. Just cube up the brisket and dump the pork in as-is to give it some filler.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

cornface posted:

I've had good luck just using normal leftover brisket and pulled pork in a 3 to 1 ratio. Just cube up the brisket and dump the pork in as-is to give it some filler.

Oh yeah, brisket's great for chili. As is pulled pork.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

sellouts posted:

I've always used Ruhlman's recipe (http://ruhlman.com/2012/02/east-carolina-barbecue-recipe/) and it is loving good. Everyone loves it and it scales really well.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

sellouts posted:

I've had similar experiences. 3-2-1 definitely resulted in overcooked ribs for me more often than not, but when ribs are overcooked they fall off the bone which most people like so it's not like it's ruined.

EDIT: I've never seen an imitation BGE do everything the BGE does well, but I haven't exactly messed with a ton of them.

I've gotten tired of explaining that a "falling off the bone" rib is overcooked. Too many folks think that Chili's is the be-all, end-all of rib cookers.

3-2-1 works if you keep your temps around 215*.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

LTBS posted:

I've always used Ruhlman's recipe (http://ruhlman.com/2012/02/east-carolina-barbecue-recipe/) and it is loving good. Everyone loves it and it scales really well.

Thanks, maybe the fish sauce is what is missing.

I went to Costco to check out their BGE imitation. It's definitely not as nice as the BGE. At half the cost I'd want to cook on one before buying. Although with their return policy I guess it's pretty low risk if you can stomach being "that guy" and returning a 90lb grill.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PhotoKirk posted:

I've gotten tired of explaining that a "falling off the bone" rib is overcooked. Too many folks think that Chili's is the be-all, end-all of rib cookers.

3-2-1 works if you keep your temps around 215*.

I guess my biggest problem with 3-2-1 is that you're trading bark for no real decrease in cooking time, and greatly increasing the chances that you overcook your ribs.

That being said, I have a pork loin roast on right now. I did the tenderloins for Easter, and they came out really well, despite the warnings. They just cooked super fast.

It spent the night in a brown sugar/maple syrup brine, and then got stuffed with butter and wrapped in bacon. If it isn't moist when it comes off I will give it a secondary brining in a gallon sack of my tears.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

cornface posted:

I guess my biggest problem with 3-2-1 is that you're trading bark for no real decrease in cooking time, and greatly increasing the chances that you overcook your ribs.

That being said, I have a pork loin roast on right now. I did the tenderloins for Easter, and they came out really well, despite the warnings. They just cooked super fast.

It spent the night in a brown sugar/maple syrup brine, and then got stuffed with butter and wrapped in bacon. If it isn't moist when it comes off I will give it a secondary brining in a gallon sack of my tears.

The bark firms up a bit if you leave the foil open for the last hour.

Pork loin is great on the smoker. Have you tried stuffing it? http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/pork%20loin/stuffed.html

(I'm guessing by your title that you wandered into GBS or D&D. Nothing good ever comes from that.)

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PhotoKirk posted:

The bark firms up a bit if you leave the foil open for the last hour.

Pork loin is great on the smoker. Have you tried stuffing it? http://www.peppersandsmoke.com/bbq/pork%20loin/stuffed.html

(I'm guessing by your title that you wandered into GBS or D&D. Nothing good ever comes from that.)

This is the first one I made, but based on that link I know what the second one is going to be.

I think my fears about drying it out were for nothing, because it was incredibly juicy. I stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes after pulling it to crisp the bacon up, and mixed up some maple syrup infused sauce to stick with the theme. I think I'm going to do two or three next time for a little more variety and leftovers.

I probably should buy a new avatar, but my red text was changing so frequently for a while that it seemed like a waste of money.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

cornface posted:

This is the first one I made, but based on that link I know what the second one is going to be.

I think my fears about drying it out were for nothing, because it was incredibly juicy. I stuck it under the broiler for a few minutes after pulling it to crisp the bacon up, and mixed up some maple syrup infused sauce to stick with the theme. I think I'm going to do two or three next time for a little more variety and leftovers.

I probably should buy a new avatar, but my red text was changing so frequently for a while that it seemed like a waste of money.

It's almost impossible to get crispy bacon while smoking at low temps. When I smoke my Thanksgiving turkey, I end up frying the bacon after I pull it off the bird. It usually ends up in my bean pot the next weekend.

If you do the stuffed pork loin, pick up a Magic Bullet or store-brand equivalent. It's great for mixing up the stuffing. Also - butterkase cheese is divine.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

PhotoKirk posted:

It's almost impossible to get crispy bacon while smoking at low temps.

Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the bacon prior, if you aren't against the idea of it. It'll give your bacon the crunch and firmness you want, while technically not being crisp.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Here's me and the boss cooking some 3-hour ribs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT64w-cdu-c

BBQ Sundays are the best Sundays.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PhotoKirk posted:

I never considered butterflying a pork butt. An entire butt in an afternoon would be amazing. The last two I've done have been incredibly slow.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PhotoKirk posted:

lol that's awesome.

I opened this video a couple hours ago, and forgot why I opened it. Just watched it through and was like 'holy moly these guys are so cute and hilarious'.

good job goon, has the appropriate amount of cowbell.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp, smoked a little tri tip after work in my Weber -- and the neighbor saw it starting up (with lots of white smoke) and called LAFD.

On the plus side, they rolled a sweet swivel ladder truck and an engine and I got to talk about smoking meats with the captain. He even nailed the type of wood I was using and has a Traeger pellet smoker and a Komado cooker at home. They also used the building for training some new guy by putting him on the roof and showing him where to look for different things.

I think I'm gonna smoke them a few pork shoulders and take it over there in the next few weekends. It totally wasn't my fault they got called and by the time they got there the meat was on and it was the gorgeous perfect smoke and smelled delicious, but I still feel bad. And being on the westside of LA I doubt they have many people BBQin for them.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 25, 2013

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Haha, thats hilarious. I had a similar experience, although the neighbor didn't call the fire dept, but she did come over into our yard freaking out thinking our house was on fire. the wife and I had a good laugh about that one. One the other hand, it is nice to know you have neighbors that kind of give a poo poo and are aware of something other than themselves.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006

sellouts posted:

Welp, smoked a little tri tip after work in my Weber -- and the neighbor saw it starting up (with lots of white smoke) and called LAFD.

On the plus side, they rolled a sweet swivel ladder truck and an engine and I got to talk about smoking meats with the captain. He even nailed the type of wood I was using and has a Traeger pellet smoker and a Komado cooker at home. They also used the building for training some new guy by putting him on the roof and showing him where to look for different things.

I think I'm gonna smoke them a few pork shoulders and take it over there in the next few weekends. It totally wasn't my fault they got called and by the time they got there the meat was on and it was the gorgeous perfect smoke and smelled delicious, but I still feel bad. And being on the westside of LA I doubt they have many people BBQin for them.

If you want that particular crew to get the meat, find out what shift they are and make sure you bring it over when they're working.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, for sure. The LAFD website was down but I'm going to contact them beforehand to make sure it's the right crew and to coordinate. I cant drop 20lbs of pulled pork with no notice.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Generally, most crews work 24 on 48 off.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've smoked a lot of pork butt in my time, but I'm really undecided as to the best method to get the most flavorful end result. My intuition says my best results have been with an overnight brine, letting the pork come up to room temperatureish before putting on the smoker, judicious use of rub, and smoking around 210 with smoke only for the first couple hours. But I also remember pretty good results where I made deep gashes in the meat almost to the bone and rubbed some extra rub in there? And I've had ok results doing a texas crutch before too? and then the whole mop vs non-mop?

dunno, what's the ticket for you guys?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

mindphlux posted:

I've smoked a lot of pork butt in my time, but I'm really undecided as to the best method to get the most flavorful end result. My intuition says my best results have been with an overnight brine, letting the pork come up to room temperatureish before putting on the smoker, judicious use of rub, and smoking around 210 with smoke only for the first couple hours. But I also remember pretty good results where I made deep gashes in the meat almost to the bone and rubbed some extra rub in there? And I've had ok results doing a texas crutch before too? and then the whole mop vs non-mop?

dunno, what's the ticket for you guys?

I kinda like the texas crutch method because it'll leave you some extra drippings that you can re-add to the pork once you've actually pulled it.

As far as a brine or extra rub in some slits, I haven't personally noticed a huge difference.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

b0bx13 posted:

If you want that particular crew to get the meat, find out what shift they are and make sure you bring it over when they're working.

Yeah, cause A shift will gladly eat B or C shift's goodies :v:

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qutius posted:

I kinda like the texas crutch method because it'll leave you some extra drippings that you can re-add to the pork once you've actually pulled it.

As far as a brine or extra rub in some slits, I haven't personally noticed a huge difference.

If you have a lower grate you aren't using, sticking a small foil pan or tin foil boat on it works great for catching the drippings to use for sauces or putting back in the meat. If I'm doing ribs I put a pan of beans under them.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Seconding the tray under the meat to catch drippings. I almost never foil a butt because I like dry bark. When it's all done, I use hot water to dissolve the caramelized drippings, put it in a pot, reduce to taste and re-add to the pulled meat.

I also generally put the meat in without letting it come to room temperature. I haven't calculated it out, but at smoking temperatures you're just getting closer to the 4-hour danger zone by doing that. It takes a while for a 9-10 pound hunk of meat to come to room temperature just sitting on the counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

GigaFool posted:

Seconding the tray under the meat to catch drippings. I almost never foil a butt because I like dry bark.

I've never really understood this. I get wanting "bark" on a brisket, but for pulled pork? It ends up just being the inedible parts that you have to throw out. Why would you purposefully want to dry out the meat?

I don't understand.