Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Does Frank Welker use either of G1 Megatron or Galvatron's voices? This is important.

Oh. It's very close to TF: Prime's Megatron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The MSJ posted:

They were Hulk-like in the G1 cartoon. "Me Grimlock crush Decepticons!" and all that. In the comics, they were intelligent soldiers. Various other versions after vary in portrayal.

I'm gonna see AoE regardless, but I have to admit to being a little bummed that there's not going to be a "ME GRIMLOCK LOVE CHALLENGE" callback from the G1 movie.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I was at the NYC red carpet event and Micheal Bay took this thematically perfect selfie with me and my buddy (I'm in blue).

The movie was pretty good, too.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

DoctorWhat posted:

I was at the NYC red carpet event and Micheal Bay took this thematically perfect selfie with me and my buddy (I'm in blue).

But you didn't recite Terry's analysis to him word-for-word? Missed opportunity of the century, right there.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright guys, are you ready for another round of "lovely Reviews of a Michael Bay Movie"?

"How dare you, Michael Bay? How dare you?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lord Krangdar posted:

But you didn't recite Terry's analysis to him word-for-word? Missed opportunity of the century, right there.

ACTUALLY I asked as he walked away if the Autobots were supposed to be horrifying.

He smiled.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright guys, are you ready for another round of "lovely Reviews of a Michael Bay Movie"?

"This is science fiction with giant fighting robots, and it was completely unrealistic in more moments than not."

That sentence is everything that's wrong with film reviews.

DoctorWhat posted:

ACTUALLY I asked as he walked away if the Autobots were supposed to be horrifying.

He smiled.

I guess that's good enough.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

If there's one thing I've noticed about every AoE review so far, you can clearly tell that the reviewer has made up their mind beforehand and doing this 'ironic' sort of 'this movie is so bad I have no idea what's going on it haha michael baysplosions!!' schtick.

Also, pretty funny that the dude claims the franchise is 'crumbling' even though the films are making ridiculous amounts of money and Michael Bay seemingly put Transformers back in the minds of literally everyone on the planet leading to multiple TV series, video games, and a shitload of toys. What kind of reviewer sits there and goes 'Urgh, Mark Wahlberg can't possibly play an inventor!!' with a straight face and calls out the Drift character as 'racist' because he's a Samurai robot played by Ken Watanabe with no other reasoning.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
Holy crap, I saw this film last night and I'm still trying to process what the hell I saw!

I think the film hated me and everyone else in the audience though.

Optimus came off as such a psychopath in this one, I can almost agree with why the creators want to put him down though. And the last I dunno, half hour was brutal, although it did almost reach a point where it became too much and I became almost detached and bored by the amount of explosions and robot smashing

I've got a bit of a SMG read on it, but I haven't actually managed to write it yet - I reckon there's a subtext about Michael Bay's disgust at the demand for sequels and prequels for big IP films as opposed to unique and risky venture. I haven't quite put it together yet though, and I don't want to have to spoiler some huge wall of text either haha

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Not A Bear posted:

Holy crap, I saw this film last night and I'm still trying to process what the hell I saw!

I think the film hated me and everyone else in the audience though.

Optimus came off as such a psychopath in this one, I can almost agree with why the creators want to put him down though. And the last I dunno, half hour was brutal, although it did almost reach a point where it became too much and I became almost detached and bored by the amount of explosions and robot smashing

I've got a bit of a SMG read on it, but I haven't actually managed to write it yet - I reckon there's a subtext about Michael Bay's disgust at the demand for sequels and prequels for big IP films as opposed to unique and risky venture. I haven't quite put it together yet though, and I don't want to have to spoiler some huge wall of text either haha

Yeah, that's why I haven't posted much because there's a ton of stuff I want to say. But Optimus' war cry in the final act: ______"I'LL KILL YOU!"_____ was just :staredog:. Particularly when I'm pretty sure he says the exact same thing to humans (Cade) right at the start of the film and to Grimlock later.

But remember though, Michael Bay was done after the third film - then he came back for this one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bloodnose posted:

No. Did they in other media?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf48qnmRsfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0tzcZ4GTzg

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, that's why I haven't posted much because there's a ton of stuff I want to say. But Optimus' war cry in the final act: ______"I'LL KILL YOU!"_____ was just :staredog:. Particularly when I'm pretty sure he says the exact same thing to humans (Cade) right at the start of the film and to Grimlock later.

But remember though, Michael Bay was done after the third film - then he came back for this one.

Yeah Optimus' arc since the first movie sure has been something alright, I'm wondering if we're being setup for some sort of mirror universe shenanigans or something :tinfoil:

Huh, I didn't realise Michael Bay had called it after the third one, I guess that could be why there's a lot more bitterness in this film

I wouldn't call this a kids movie either, which I always find odd for a franchise that should be about selling toys to kids haha

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Not A Bear posted:

Yeah Optimus' arc since the first movie sure has been something alright, I'm wondering if we're being setup for some sort of mirror universe shenanigans or something :tinfoil:

Huh, I didn't realise Michael Bay had called it after the third one, I guess that could be why there's a lot more bitterness in this film

I wouldn't call this a kids movie either, which I always find odd for a franchise that should be about selling toys to kids haha

If there is one thing I like is how Hasbro fully recognizes how many manchilderen still like Transformers.

I must see this movie. :magical:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, yeah, the tone of this film is dark as hell. One of the very first scenes is Lockdown yanking Ratchet's spark out of his still-living body, after Ratchet has been basically dismembered and crippled by Cemetery Wind. That whole pursuit and what follows is, however, I think one of the best sequences in the series.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Not A Bear posted:

YAYYYYYYYYYYY! I cannot wait for this movie, it seems like it's going to be everything I want and more!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

WHY ARENT YOU WEARING THE loving COAT?!

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, yeah, the tone of this film is dark as hell. One of the very first scenes is Lockdown yanking Ratchet's spark out of his still-living body, after Ratchet has been basically dismembered and crippled by Cemetery Wind. That whole pursuit and what follows is, however, I think one of the best sequences in the series.

Yeah that was ridiculous, I was all :stare: for that entire bit and I was starting to wonder what the gently caress sort of film I was getting into - especially when Ratchet begs for his life, and then later we get severed Autobot heads in labs

Did anyone else think that theJoshua Joyce guy and his company was a parody of Steve Jobs and Apple? Right down to the bald head, glasses and abusing his nerdy minions?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Not A Bear posted:

Yeah that was ridiculous, I was all :stare: for that entire bit and I was starting to wonder what the gently caress sort of film I was getting into - especially when Ratchet begs for his life, and then later we get severed Autobot heads in labs

Did anyone else think that theJoshua Joyce guy and his company was a parody of Steve Jobs and Apple? Right down to the bald head, glasses and abusing his nerdy minions?

I thought exactly that when I saw that character on the monitor at some point. There's no way the comparison isn't direct. He even wears a black turtleneck on the aforementioned monitor.

And yeah, that second scene you mentioned. Even though Ratchet is, really, barely a character, watching him get executed and then dispassionately melted down with blowtorches for raw material was just ghoulish.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

The last act would've benefited greatly from this.

GRIMLOCK CALL CENTRAL GOVERNMENT FOR HELP

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I thought exactly that when I saw that character on the monitor at some point. There's no way the comparison isn't direct. He even wears a black turtleneck on the aforementioned monitor.

Haha I didn't even notice that!

Another What the gently caress bit, what was the whole deal with explaining the Romeo and Juliet laws in regards to Tessa and the Irish guy? Even to the extent of having a card in his wallet! It almost reminded me of George Michael and Maybe from Arrested Development and their laws against cousins dating!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Ok, so it took me wathcing this movie, thinking about it to realise that, Marky Mark was NOT in the previous TF movies.... it was Josh Duhamel
which makes TF4 kinda less interesting now lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

WHY ARENT YOU WEARING THE loving COAT?!

IT WAS NINETY DEGREES OUT! I WOULD HAVE DIED

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darth TNT posted:

If there is one thing I like is how Hasbro fully recognizes how many manchilderen still like Transformers.

"Boys 18+"

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I dunno how many of you saw this masterpiece while the forums were down, so I'm gonna leave it here just in case! In which the Red Letter Media guys watch the original trilogy simultaneously and unearth a horrible secret:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rfup0XKx7o

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hobo Siege posted:

I dunno how many of you saw this masterpiece while the forums were down, so I'm gonna leave it here just in case! In which the Red Letter Media guys watch the original trilogy simultaneously and unearth a horrible secret:

What is that for those of us at work?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Vintersorg posted:

What is that for those of us at work?

The exact same story beats happen at the exact same timestamp across two/all of the films a depressing number of times.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think the the first two almost sync up as far as movie's story structure?

That video seemed like those guys just basically said what people have complained about the movies since the beginning. Not seeing much else there.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

therealjon_ posted:

I think the the first two almost sync up as far as movie's story structure?

That video seemed like those guys just basically said what people have complained about the movies since the beginning. Not seeing much else there.

I think that's sort of underselling it. So much poo poo happens at the exact same second, it's insane.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like it when all three movies are getting to their loudest parts near the end and it's getting to be where they can't take it anymore.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Honest Thief posted:

Ok, so it took me wathcing this movie, thinking about it to realise that, Marky Mark was NOT in the previous TF movies.... it was Josh Duhamel
which makes TF4 kinda less interesting now lol

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll take Marky Mark over Duhamel any day of the week.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll take Marky Mark over Duhamel any day of the week.

I thought they were the same character, so when the marine dude was suddendly a tech guy I was confused as to what the movie was getting at with this role reversal

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

One of the consistent complaints that I've seen from both professional reviewers and just average moviegoers alike is how difficult it is to distinguish between the robots in the movies. Granted, I've seen all of them several times, but I've literally never had trouble figuring out which robot is which, even in the midst of action scenes. Is it really that bad for most people? Seems to me more like someone said it once and people just ran with it as one more thing to complain about, but I'm genuinely curious.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I generally think the details and characters of the Transformers movies are pretty forgettable, but I didn't have much trouble telling the main cast of robots apart in the newest one and I don't remember having that problem in the earlier ones.

Maybe when it's a really chaotic scene and there's lots of assorted mook robots around, but that can happen in any chaotic battle with lots of frame crowding and rapid cutting, regardless of whether or not robots are involved.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah aside from a few shots which were meant to be hectic I think every fight in all 3 movies establishes who is who before they start smashing each other.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I don't really know the individual Transformers' names or identities outside of the big ones (Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron) but it never really seemed to matter too much.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 26, 2014

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Considering the first two seasons of Generation 1 TV shows were literally introducing a new character each episode so kids would buy more toys, only to have most of them killed off in the movie, to yet sell even MORE toys......yah knowing what each one is called isn't a big deal. Especially since the Bay movies cut out and introduce autobots randomly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Considering the first two seasons of Generation 1 TV shows were literally introducing a new character each episode so kids would buy more toys, only to have most of them killed off in the movie, to yet sell even MORE toys......yah knowing what each one is called isn't a big deal. Especially since the Bay movies cut out and introduce autobots randomly.

You've also got things like Volt and Arcee vanishing between movies.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lord Krangdar posted:

I don't really know the individual Transformers' names or identities outside of the big ones (Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron) but it never really seemed to matter too much.

Even as a kid, it didn't matter too much because you just wanted the ones that looked cool.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

You've also got things like Volt and Arcee vanishing between movies.

That part bothered myself and my fiancée as well. No death scenes, no nothing. Just now they are here and now they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

I like it when all three movies are getting to their loudest parts near the end and it's getting to be where they can't take it anymore.

I'm a big fan of their shocked looks and hysterical laughter when Optimus kills Megatron and Sentinel. "Oh this is the part where he murders- JESUS CHRIST."