Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yes, my base is truly a testament to autism

Killed the chicken. Kind of anticlimactic. One straight shot from a fully wound up energy cannon put it down, I guess I should have come back to fight it halfway between "bone armor and crossbow" and "robocop." It dropped a 'jump jet core' which didn't proc a recipe. So now I've smoked the robochicken, an ant queen and some kind of big pincery grub monster. Do I claim dominion over this planet yet?

additional random poo poo: If you pick up a stack of refined sapphires and drop them onto your MEC tool, it accepts them all rather than kicking the extra ones back out. Don't know if that's intended.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tujague posted:

Yes, my base is truly a testament to autism

Killed the chicken. Kind of anticlimactic. One straight shot from a fully wound up energy cannon put it down, I guess I should have come back to fight it halfway between "bone armor and crossbow" and "robocop." It dropped a 'jump jet core' which didn't proc a recipe. So now I've smoked the robochicken, an ant queen and some kind of big pincery grub monster. Do I claim dominion over this planet yet?

additional random poo poo: If you pick up a stack of refined sapphires and drop them onto your MEC tool, it accepts them all rather than kicking the extra ones back out. Don't know if that's intended.

The stacking thing isn't exactly a bug but we should probably make it return the extras, yeah. The jumpjet core used to proc the recipe, but we changed it so there is now a broken jumpjet in the Pioneer Station engineering area (with the mech robot thing) that procs the recipe.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Speaking of autism, which wiki should I contribute to if I feel the urge?

Also, something occurred to me - I don't see any reason for the blue Grabber Tool to be an option in the "lights" action bar at all. It has its own key and never needs to be deliberately selected. You could throw it out and trim that option and not lose a thing.

Edit I didn't find that blueprint :(

Tujague fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 2, 2016

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tujague posted:

Speaking of autism, which wiki should I contribute to if I feel the urge?
http://signsoflife.gamepedia.com/Signs_of_Life_Wiki

Tujague posted:

Also, something occurred to me - I don't see any reason for the blue Grabber Tool to be an option in the "lights" action bar at all. It has its own key and never needs to be deliberately selected. You could throw it out and trim that option and not lose a thing.
The only reason that is in the slot is because I was afraid people wouldn't realize that they could suck up items with the wrist laser with the middle mouse button. The only breadcrumbs that introduce that mechanic right now are either looking in the key bindings or finding that and looking at the description. However, we recently changed things a bit so that those gadgets are now in the key items pouch (so you can drag them to the manual item slots) and so it probably isn't necessary to keep the item in the auto-slots anymore.

Tujague posted:

Edit I didn't find that blueprint :(
If you're talking about the broken jumpjet, you probably will need to grab it from a new world if you've been playing on one from before the most recent content patch. You can generate a new world for your character in the sandbox menu, and you can switch back to the previous world through the same menu once you grab the broken jumpjet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That reminds me, if people are playing multiplayer then you end up with only one person with a keycard. Since the card is an undroppable item, if someone other than the world owner grabs the card the only option is for the world owner to steal a card from another world. It might be worth scattering a couple of spare cards around.

Also you lose your maps of other worlds if you go back to your own one.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

That reminds me, if people are playing multiplayer then you end up with only one person with a keycard. Since the card is an undroppable item, if someone other than the world owner grabs the card the only option is for the world owner to steal a card from another world. It might be worth scattering a couple of spare cards around.
Yeah, I also need to make it so that extra keys you pick up don't get jammed into the key items pouch.

Splicer posted:

Also you lose your maps of other worlds if you go back to your own one.
I haven't quite figured out how to fix this but its absolutely on my list.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Signs of Life now 50% off at the Humble Bundle store!

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/signsoflife_storefront

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Hey, we've been quiet lately because we're working on some sweet new stuff that we genuinely don't want to spoil, but one of the things we're also working on for the next update is a bit of a balance tweak as well as making it easy for people to tweak the attack/defense/etc values for different creatures, guns, etc. I wanted to see if anyone had any particular balance gripes that you would like to see us work on for the next update, or any specific stats that you think people might want to tinker with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Mark 1 laser seems kind of not-good for the effort it takes to make.

The sulphur gun, and it pains me to say this, seems a little too good for the effort it takes to make. On the other hand it's my favourite weapon in any game I've played in ages*, because I am a child. Having the base be slightly weaker but upgradeable with a pilot light and/or biofuel/sulphur mix ammo or something might satiate my lusts for both balance and fartgunning spitters.

*possibly excluding effect-stacked AoW3 chickens.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

The Mark 1 laser seems kind of not-good for the effort it takes to make.

The sulphur gun, and it pains me to say this, seems a little too good for the effort it takes to make. On the other hand it's my favourite weapon in any game I've played in ages*, because I am a child. Having the base be slightly weaker but upgradeable with a pilot light and/or biofuel/sulphur mix ammo or something might satiate my lusts for both balance and fartgunning spitters.

*possibly excluding effect-stacked AoW3 chickens.

Ok, thanks. Do you have any opinions about melee weapons? Some people seem to think that there isn't a satisfying melee weapon damage progression right now, and while we have some other more powerful melee weapons planned, if the upgrade curve we're using now is boring then adding more stuff isn't really going to help the bulk of the game.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Once I start to hit lead deposits, I found very little reason to use melee weapons at all since the firearms all seemed to deal substantial damage in a short time, and from a safe distance. Even the jewel weapons seem pretty insignificant as by the time you can craft them you probably have access to an assault rifle and all the ammo you will ever need, and can probably amass a stockpile of even more powerful explosives in short order if needed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That and the flying javelin is really all the melee you need up to that point and you can get one like 5 minutes into the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lucid Dream posted:

Ok, thanks. Do you have any opinions about melee weapons? Some people seem to think that there isn't a satisfying melee weapon damage progression right now, and while we have some other more powerful melee weapons planned, if the upgrade curve we're using now is boring then adding more stuff isn't really going to help the bulk of the game.
I have minimal opinions about melee weapons. I tend to stick to organic items because games with iron swords are a dime a dozen, but games with red swords made from the arms of immobile plant creatures are pretty rare. My opinions would probably be a request for something on the organic chain between leaf sword and [classified].

I think part of the problem with melee in general is that ranged weapons are melee weapons you can hit people from far away with. To make melee weapons as interesting you need to replace this special feature with something equally interesting.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Have an enemy with an energy shield like the ones in dune. It would block bullets but melee stuff goes right through.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A slot dedicated to melee device upgrades like that electrical thing, so you can add effects like poison or fire or stun or knockback without sacrificing jetpack space.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Once I start to hit lead deposits, I found very little reason to use melee weapons at all since the firearms all seemed to deal substantial damage in a short time, and from a safe distance. Even the jewel weapons seem pretty insignificant as by the time you can craft them you probably have access to an assault rifle and all the ammo you will ever need, and can probably amass a stockpile of even more powerful explosives in short order if needed.
Ok interesting. I suppose it makes sense that if we want to give you enough ammo materials to use it early on, you'll have tons of it by the later game.

Splicer posted:

I have minimal opinions about melee weapons. I tend to stick to organic items because games with iron swords are a dime a dozen, but games with red swords made from the arms of immobile plant creatures are pretty rare. My opinions would probably be a request for something on the organic chain between leaf sword and [classified].

I think part of the problem with melee in general is that ranged weapons are melee weapons you can hit people from far away with. To make melee weapons as interesting you need to replace this special feature with something equally interesting.
We could definitely use more organic weapons. I'm considering tweaking the way the razor leaf sword works in the next update so that it does more damage than comparably easy to acquire weapons, but it dulls over time and must be repaired with another blade. I always have trouble differentiating melee weapons, and I feel like that would make the razor leaf swords interesting and useful, but not totally outclass a bunch of weapons permanently. It should also work as a nice item sink for the razor leaf blades since we don't really have any other use for them.

dis astranagant posted:

That and the flying javelin is really all the melee you need up to that point and you can get one like 5 minutes into the game.
Ok, interesting, we might have to do something with the javelins too. Do you feel like that thing works well? I'm not really happy with how it functions to be honest, I feel like its a bit too big and unwieldy to throw.

ianmacdo posted:

Have an enemy with an energy shield like the ones in dune. It would block bullets but melee stuff goes right through.
Thats a fun idea, I'll write that down. It might work with some of the creatures we have planned.

Splicer posted:

A slot dedicated to melee device upgrades like that electrical thing, so you can add effects like poison or fire or stun or knockback without sacrificing jetpack space.
A dedicated melee mod slot is an interesting idea, I'll write that down. What do you mean by "without sacrificing jetpack space"? I don't think any of the "weapon mod" stuff would interfere with your jetpack.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 4, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lucid Dream posted:

Ok, interesting, we might have to do something with the javelins too. Do you feel like that thing works well? I'm not really happy with how it functions to be honest, I feel like its a bit too big and unwieldy to throw.

I don't throw it very often. It does something like 8-12 just stabbing dudes and it has a fairly poor understanding of what constitutes a wall that usually works in my favor. The hitbox can be a little awkward in tight quarters but it's not like I have to use it for long.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

dis astranagant posted:

I don't throw it very often. It does something like 8-12 just stabbing dudes and it has a fairly poor understanding of what constitutes a wall that usually works in my favor. The hitbox can be a little awkward in tight quarters but it's not like I have to use it for long.

Ahhh... ok. That makes sense.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Near as I can tell, it goes through walls so long as the stab hitbox, which starts way out in front of you, doesn't collide with the wall.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

dis astranagant posted:

Near as I can tell, it goes through walls so long as the stab hitbox, which starts way out in front of you, doesn't collide with the wall.

Yeah, that particular weapon works a bit differently than other melee weapons for the collisions and I never got around to making sure it did the proper checks when hitting through blocks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lucid Dream posted:

A dedicated melee mod slot is an interesting idea, I'll write that down. What do you mean by "without sacrificing jetpack space"? I don't think any of the "weapon mod" stuff would interfere with your jetpack.
I couldn't remember any of the other gadget slot items :v:

I was thinking more about it and it could be a gem slot on your arm thing. Put in a ruby and your melee attacks do fire damage. Put in the pickup items gem and your melee does knockback. On the other hand a melee slot wouldn't limit upgrades to the existing gems. Though on the third hand you could do the gem thing for base melee upgrades and still make devices for the existing two slots for people who want to go all out melee like the current electrical thing.

Lucid Dream posted:

We could definitely use more organic weapons. I'm considering tweaking the way the razor leaf sword works in the next update so that it does more damage than comparably easy to acquire weapons, but it dulls over time and must be repaired with another blade. I always have trouble differentiating melee weapons, and I feel like that would make the razor leaf swords interesting and useful, but not totally outclass a bunch of weapons permanently. It should also work as a nice item sink for the razor leaf blades since we don't really have any other use for them.
That would be pretty boss.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lucid Dream posted:

While I understand the desire to make them "worth the effort" when strong?

When people are already ignoring melee because guns are more practical, even when needing to craft ammo... Making melee weapons even MORE impractical will probably not help.

Even if you place the weapon at a point before it's even possible to make guns and ammo, then you can just get "Oh thank GOD I don't have to use that melee weapon anymore" even if it did a shitload of damage compared to post gun melee options.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 5, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's also the issue that you can ignore both if you explore a bit and get yourself roughly 100 shots of crossbow bolts that are better than anything you can find without digging rather deep.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Section Z posted:

While I understand the desire to make them "worth the effort" when strong?

When people are already ignoring melee because guns are more practical, even when needing to craft ammo... Making melee weapons even MORE impractical will probably not help.

Even if you place the weapon at a point before it's even possible to make guns and ammo, then you can just get "Oh thank GOD I don't have to use that melee weapon anymore" even if it did a shitload of damage compared to post gun melee options.

Well its really 2 separate problems. Among the melee weapons there needs to be some kind of balance, so differentiating the razor leaf sword as a high damage weapon that dulls over time lets it coexist with the lower damage weapons that don't have a durability. The second problem is just that melee is less interesting/effective than ranged weapons... which has a lot of potential fixes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ignore this, I misread the year in a post on the steam forums. Instead, I shall post my request for a flying mob that is a (smaller) variant of the sulphur monster and steers itself by blasting sulphur, and another sulphur mob that travels via rocket jump.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 21, 2016

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

Ignore this, I misread the year in a post on the steam forums. Instead, I shall post my request for a flying mob that is a (smaller) variant of the sulphur monster and steers itself by blasting sulphur, and another sulphur mob that travels via rocket jump.
Seems reasonable, we need more flying mobs.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 26, 2016

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
here is a thing we're putting in the next update: http://gfycat.com/PowerfulSevereGoldfish we meant to include it as part of the last update but ran out of time. If it sees you it'll use the spiked boss mob's spike attack remotely, as if he's watching you from afar...

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We're reworking the crafting menu a bit to make the buttons bigger and combine it with the project menu, here is what it looks like now:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I approve of the lingerie button.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any new biomes planned for the update? I have a hankering to start a new world but will hang on if it'll be missing patch stuff.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

Are there any new biomes planned for the update? I have a hankering to start a new world but will hang on if it'll be missing patch stuff.

No new biomes, but we're adding a new creature to the spike biome and we're adding some new non-biome content to the world generator. Unfortunately we have no ETA on the update at this point because we keep adding stuff to the list for the update, but it should be a doozy once we get all the loose ends tied up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm still waiting on this being closer to finished before digging to deep into my own copy, but good luck with all the work. Whatever your pace worries, so far you still give a good impression of "This will be finished some time". Well, at least to me, guy not even playing :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lucid Dream posted:

We're reworking the crafting menu a bit to make the buttons bigger and combine it with the project menu, here is what it looks like now:

did you put the spyder in your game :allears:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

The White Dragon posted:

did you put the spyder in your game :allears:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We've been working on some vital features as we start to wrap things up for the next update:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

This is so dumb and I love it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lucid Dream posted:

We've been working on some vital features as we start to wrap things up for the next update:

I cannot wait to wear, fire, or eat that thing.

Also curious about the crotch irradiator.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Splicer posted:

I cannot wait to wear, fire, or eat that thing.
I feel like it would make a nice hat.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

You should make a hat craftable from each enemy in the game. Hunt down your enemies and turn them into a stylish hats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We're in the home stretch for our next update, it should be a doozy. I don't want to spoil too much, but here is one of the guns we're adding. It is 100% original and if you disagree I'll fight you.

• Locked thread