Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

fuckin a. a few years ago someone setup a quake server over the thanksgiving holiday and it was a shitload of fun playing the classic DM levels. i propose we get some doom game action going, like chex quest, hexen, brutal doom, whatever

O_O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

fuckin a. a few years ago someone setup a quake server over the thanksgiving holiday and it was a shitload of fun playing the classic DM levels. i propose we get some doom game action going, like chex quest, hexen, brutal doom, whatever

Make it Samsara and lets do it all at the same time

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

qnqnx posted:

Make it Samsara and lets do it all at the same time

Holy crap, YES!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I found my hexen 2 and original quake disc in the garage. Is this awesome? y/y

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

too bad duke3d ports netcode sucks cause dukematch or 8 player coop owns. games with more than 4 player coop should be more common like the original ghost recon.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I found my hexen 2 and original quake disc in the garage. Is this awesome? y/y

:drat:

n

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I read about that: http://www.contextis.co.uk/resources/blog/hacking-canon-pixma-printers-doomed-encryption/

Pretty awesome.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

That's pretty cool.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sure beats the crap out of the 32X!

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

at first I was all "hey thats pretty cool" but then it started playing chords and stuff and I was all :vince:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

jesus 'anime titties' christ

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

come print some :dukedog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TFzZyNE5CU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
in all the thousands of hours of doom across probably dozens of different ports i have only just now realized that the skill level choices have periods after them, except for nightmare which has an exclamation point

unseen doom punctuation

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

and the dot in the exclamation point is a skull :twisted:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
how did i not ever notice this in over 20 years of constantly playing this game my whole life is turned upside down

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

all you ever knew or loved is a lie

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So what do I need to download to make Quake modernly palatable?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

give nquake a try

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

a quake CD

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Stuntman posted:

a quake CD

owned

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Stuntman posted:

a quake CD

Got that. Now what?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Stick it in ur but

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Got that. Now what?

nquake for easy multiplayer and some updates to graphics

fitzquake for real basic features and a vanilla feel

darkplaces if you really want to push the graphics to modern levels, looks awesome

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

mod sassinator posted:

Stick it in ur but

whoa :pcgaming:

Kazvall posted:

nquake for easy multiplayer and some updates to graphics

fitzquake for real basic features and a vanilla feel

darkplaces if you really want to push the graphics to modern levels, looks awesome

unironically, thanks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

also make sure to download the music mod from the steam forums for the NIN music

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

unironically, thanks.

No prob. Darkplaces is your best bet to push the graphics side of things. There are various enhancements you can download as well like high res textures and remodeled/updated models and skins. Quake reforged is a good place to start for that. As well as just search for Darkplaces-HiRes. But, try it by itself to see if you like it.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Kazvall posted:

No prob. Darkplaces is your best bet to push the graphics side of things. There are various enhancements you can download as well like high res textures and remodeled/updated models and skins. Quake reforged is a good place to start for that. As well as just search for Darkplaces-HiRes. But, try it by itself to see if you like it.

darkplaces breaks some of the physics

just run winquake.exe it works on modern day systems

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Awright, what are the best weapon replacement mods out there, most fun, most ridiculously overpowered, most hilarious, that kinda thing.

Pirate Doom is amazing, love the cannon.

HACX has some interesting ones for sure, but I find the majority of them unsatisfying, what do you like?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Russian overkill

And Psychic
And whatever the one with all the guns from mw2 is called now

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

straight jerkers posted:

Russian overkill

And Psychic
And whatever the one with all the guns from mw2 is called now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3eN9HR-XA

Oh my god yes I need this in my life.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Roguelike doom is another one, but it makes the game too much like diablo and the interface loving sucks.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I like the quad-barrel shotgun that seems to fling the player across the room every time it's fired

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Load it up with 10x.wad for an even better time

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
would really like to enjoy hexen but just can't get into the switch hunting that much

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Pope Guilty posted:

would really like to enjoy hexen but just can't get into the switch hunting that much

just put in a code for all keys then, and make sure to clear the level. it won't be perfect but you'll get enough of the experience to have fun

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Pope Guilty posted:

you might try Shadows of Chronos, i thought it was hell of cool. i did forget where the headless statue was tho lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Kazvall posted:

How do I get the quake expansions to work on 64bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

i'm pretty sure darkplaces has 64bit executables. copy folders id1, hipnotic and rogue to darkplaces one, create 2 shortcuts of dplaces and add in comandline -game rogue and in the second one -game hipnotic, hth

• Locked thread